Become a Patron!

What should i do? understading amp reading on my smok alien 220w

I am new to vaping. I understand that the batteries I have, put out 20amp maximum. smok alien mod takes 2 of these LG batteries. when I am vaping at 60w, 0.163 ohms, 3.4 volts, the amp reading shows me 21.92 amps on the mod.

Is it safe, if not, what should I do?

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can only say, never push batteries beyond their limits. Better safe than sorry.
BTW, welcome to VU. Vape safe. And go read about battery safety.:)

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I am new to vaping. I understand that the batteries I have, put out 20amp maximum. smok alien mod takes 2 of these LG batteries. when I am vaping at 60w, 0.163 ohms, 3.4 volts, the amp reading shows me 21.92 amps on the mod.

Is it safe, if not, what should I do?

I hate mods that show an amp reading on them, they are to confusing to beginners. With a regulated mod like yours there are two amp load figures, first that you are seeing is the boosted amp push from the control board to the coils of your atomizer/tank, basically meaningless as the control boards on some mods can push close 40 to 50, even 55amps output, but basically meaningless. The amp figure to worry about that isn't displayed is at the supply side, or the amps the control board "Pulls" from the batteries, with that you need to calculate the amps yourself, the formula is simple, example given your watt setting

Watts Set/Lowest Battery Voltage/90%=Maximum Amps

60watts Set/6.4v lowest voltage before error or mod shutdown (3.2v X 2 Batteries)/90%=10.4167 maximum amps

Where what you are seeing is another Ohm's Law formula in action we use for Mechanical/Unregulated Mods
3.4v/0.163ohms=20.8589amps

http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.html <- Great site to bookmark as it has many good vaping calculators/simulators, this linked is to an Ohms Law Calculator
https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator <- Electronic Regulated Mod Amp Calculator (uses 3.0v per battery in its calculations)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What Make/Model are these batteries in question in question? Were they purchased from a reputable trusted supplier?

These are 2 very important questions IMHO

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1 for what @IMFire3605 said. He's correct. Ohms Law applies to the atty side but doesn't tell you what the computer and the batteries are doing. The variation of watts law he posted is what you use to see what the batteries are seeing.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What Make/Model are these batteries in question in question? Were they purchased from a reputable trusted supplier?

These are 2 very important questions IMHO

Stated in the OP they are LG 20amps, so could be HE2/HE4 or HG2 batteries.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@iakq
relax you are fine

theres lots to understand on amps
ive been vaping like 7+ years and dont get it all.
In fact what most people are explaining to you (Watt's Law) had me all confused until about 6 months ago.

like everyone is saying you are good at 60 watts

if you decide you need to be vaping over 120 watts constantly on a 2 battery regulated mod then you need to learn a little more about battery saftey

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Besides 21 amp at the atty is only 10.5 per battery anyway......in a 2 battery mod or 7 in a 3 batt.......
And that assumes ohms law applies to your vape.

A regulated mod can draw more than a battery has to give..... it will likely error out first...... but in this case you would be safe if marginal on a single battery mech.....

Good to be careful but you have to finish the math and use the correct formula.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Besides 21 amp at the atty is only 10.5 per battery anyway......in a 2 battery mod or 7 in a 3 batt.......
And that assumes ohms law applies to your vape.

A regulated mod can draw more than a battery has to give..... it will likely error out first...... but in this case you would be safe if marginal on a single battery mech.....

Good to be careful but you have to finish the math and use the correct formula.

Simply dividing coil amps by the number of batteries isn't how it works.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Simply dividing coil amps by the number of batteries isn't how it works.
You right because one has to finish the math....

But spreading the load is an affect of using multiple batteries...... yes it's a bit more complex than just dividing...... but battery safety is nowhere near the dire risk it's made out to be.

In a mech it's a major concern. ... in today's protected and regulated stuff not so much.....

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
You right because one has to finish the math....

But spreading the load is an affect of using multiple batteries...... yes it's a bit more complex than just dividing...... but battery safety is nowhere near the dire risk it's made out to be.

In a mech it's a major concern. ... in today's protected and regulated stuff not so much.....

thats not quite right
its right for most of us who post alot on here because we are more then likely using true 20 and 30 amp batteries
but the shop selling rewraps that are really 10 amps and put 2 of those in alien and run it at 220 watts and chain vape with the batteries below 3.7 volts

so battery saftey is an issue but not so much if you are using quality authentic batteries bought from a trusted source

and the only protections in most mods are reverse battery and atomizer shorts there is no "stop the mod form pulling more amps then is safe to do so from the batteries" protection
i agree if you are using quality 20 amp or 30 amp batteries and nothing goes wrong like auto fire or the button getting stuck in your pocket type stuff or teh board doing somethign stupid, theres not much risk to your batteries in most modern regulated mods

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No it doesn't sorta work in parallel. When using variable wattage, coil amps have absolutely nothing to do with battery current. Nothing. Watt setting, total battery voltage and chip efficiency are the only factors involved in battery current when using vw. If these mods used batts in parallel, which they don't, then battery current would be split between them, but coil current would still have jack shit to do with it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@IMFire3605, Thank you for your suggestions regarding batteries for mechanicals. I have been using 20 amp batteries. Soon will have some windfall in my stipend & will now get some Sony VTC4 batteries.

I suspect that the overall vaping experience will be improved for me as well as ensuring better safety. Yes, I understand now why the extra amperage is suggested. Again, thanks. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thats not quite right
its right for most of us who post alot on here because we are more then likely using true 20 and 30 amp batteries
but the shop selling rewraps that are really 10 amps and put 2 of those in alien and run it at 220 watts and chain vape with the batteries below 3.7 volts

so battery saftey is an issue but not so much if you are using quality authentic batteries bought from a trusted source

and the only protections in most mods are reverse battery and atomizer shorts there is no "stop the mod form pulling more amps then is safe to do so from the batteries" protection
i agree if you are using quality 20 amp or 30 amp batteries and nothing goes wrong like auto fire or the button getting stuck in your pocket type stuff or teh board doing somethign stupid, theres not much risk to your batteries in most modern regulated mods
So if I go to a vape shop and buy the quality batteries.... 1 how do I they are not rewraps? AND just assuming it is a rewrap and the vendor isn't aware and I can TEST the battery for either authenticity or CDR.

WHAT AMP R POWER RANGE DOES ONE BUILD TO... what thier battery is rated for.... or a value based on the possibility that the battery is sub par rated..

FACT IS.... right now it impossible to be 100% sure.

But this thread was about a specific situation using specific gear and conditions..... I responded to that.....

Not a hypothetical fear based on possible fraud when the OP bought the gear.

VU Sponsors