Become a Patron!

What to do with all those 18650 Vape batteries

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm assuming you're not talking about CandlePower. They seem to be on the same page as us.
No not candlepower, the Budget light forum. Don't get me wrong, they are great for advice when it comes to what to go for, I ended up with the Convoy S2+ and a tank 007 (Tiny, honestly I am amazed by that one, single AAA battery, I use panasonic/Sanyo Eneloops), but a lot seem to love Efest and really don't like it when told what they really are.

The S2+ I got is the one with 6 resistors, I went for that as it seemed a good trade off for runtime and brightness. I bought a handlebar mount for a few pounds, and it honestly competes with bike lights that cost a LOT more money. I can see the whole road ahead of me, not just 20 feet or so, it really does light up a good few hundred feet in front of me, and if you go somewhere pitch black, it is nice.

I've took many late night walks over my local rugby club and golf course at night, real different atmosphere-quite eerie, but I enjoy it.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No not candlepower, the Budget light forum. Don't get me wrong, they are great for advice when it comes to what to go for, I ended up with the Convoy S2+ and a tank 007 (Tiny, honestly I am amazed by that one, single AAA battery, I use panasonic/Sanyo Eneloops), but a lot seem to love Efest and really don't like it when told what they really are.

The S2+ I got is the one with 6 resistors, I went for that as it seemed a good trade off for runtime and brightness. I bought a handlebar mount for a few pounds, and it honestly competes with bike lights that cost a LOT more money. I can see the whole road ahead of me, not just 20 feet or so, it really does light up a good few hundred feet in front of me, and if you go somewhere pitch black, it is nice.

I've took many late night walks over my local rugby club and golf course at night, real different atmosphere-quite eerie, but I enjoy it.

Hey Conan,

How does the light hold up the heat when its on high after long periods of time? Is it just a little warm, or does it still get reasonably hot? wondering how it would handle a 1-2 hour ride on high.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Conan,

How does the light hold up the heat when its on high after long periods of time? Is it just a little warm, or does it still get reasonably hot? wondering how it would handle a 1-2 hour ride on high.
Hi there. On high power, it gets very hot, I usually use it on mid mode. This is still sufficient to light the road, and see clearly, plus you get much longer battery life.

I haven't actually really needed to even use it at it's full power, it is just nice to know it is there. For the price, on the mid power mode, it will definitely work well -plus last you a two hour ride easily :).

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aww too bad, I was hoping to get close to 800 lm's without getting too hot. I ride forest trails that have tons of natural obstacles at pretty decent speeds. I need LOTS of light.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to this: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...oy-Lights-Option-Comparison-Tables-and-Images

The next step down would be the x4 on HIGH as it's a bit higher than the x6 on MED. Looking for info to see if that gets hot on turbo as well.
It does get very hot, but I am sure it is designed to run that high if you want it too.

There are many options, I am not the best to ask about flashlights/torches, I just was on the budget light forum for a while for some advice.
I may be wrong-but maybe something with multiple emitters will be better for you, I gather riding trails you want it to be quite floody?

For the price though, any you go for I think will pleasantly surprise you :), but I understand if you are riding trails at night, you need that light.

What type of riding do you do? Is it like downhill mountain biking, XC, or something different? I live about a 20 minute ride away from the 2012 Olympic MTB track-it is open to the public now. Funny thing is, we don't actually have any mountains, I live near London, it is more of a forest on a hill lol.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do a mix of downhill and XC. I guess the term they use these days is 'All mountain'. I like the idea of "go anywhere" on a bike.

Haha that's pretty cool. Do you have to pay admission or is it free of charge? The girlfriend and I were wondering the other day if old olympic facilities were considered public owned. We live right down the road from an Olympic facility that was built in the 70's

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do a mix of downhill and XC. I guess the term they use these days is 'All mountain'. I like the idea of "go anywhere" on a bike.

Haha that's pretty cool. Do you have to pay admission or is it free of charge? The girlfriend and I were wondering the other day if old olympic facilities were considered public owned. We live right down the road from an Olympic facility that was built in the 70's
Thats cool, I would love to get back into extreme sports but unfortunately due to my osteoporosis that is a big no no.

I haven't actually even been there since it has opened to the public if I am honest, I am sure there is an admission fee though. I don't think all olympic venues become open to the public after use, I think this was just a one off, also the main olympic stadium in London (I was right near it when I was studying music in Bow), has been sold-I can't remember who too, I am sure it is a football club though-someone from the UK with a better memory than me might be able to chime in and remember what it actually is now.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It doesn't have to be extreme to be fun! Just getting outdoors to walk the dog is such a freeing activity

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It doesn't have to be extreme to be fun! Just getting outdoors to walk the dog is such a freeing activity
That is true, I do have fun in lots of other ways, I guess I just miss it because it is something I know I can't do now(Skateboarding for me).

I used to have three dogs, loved taking them for walks-they are all wherever dogs go once their time is up, I do want to get another dog though as they was great little friends, and walking is a nice activity, I live on an Island in the middle of the river thames (Canvey island), walking round the sea wall and beach is quite nice.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry to hear about your little buddies and not being able to board anymore.

I've always liked the idea of living by the sea, unfortunately their aren't many jobs to be found out east unless you want to work at sea 8 months out of the year. West is a whole different story. Definitely want to retire out East if I get the opportunity.

What kind of dog do you see yourself having?

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like I'll end with at least one S2 model, probably only a 4 emitter as I don't need outdoor light much at all... and if I go more than 100 feet into the forest you can't see that far in any direction anyway... no matter how bright the light.

I live on an Island in the middle of the river thames (Canvey island),

Dude... that's not an island. :p

I thought you were still living in/closer to Londinium, you're almost out to sea. :D
I grew up in a similar sized, multiple short bridge access, planned city on the edge of the SF Bay. But it has lagoons and canals running all through, so a third of the houses have water for their backyards... and sailboats. Lots of sailboats (no power allowed). :)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like I'll end with at least one S2 model, probably only a 4 emitter as I don't need outdoor light much at all... and if I go more than 100 feet into the forest you can't see that far in any direction anyway... no matter how bright the light.

Dude... that's not an island. :p

I thought you were still living in/closer to Londinium, you're almost out to sea. :D
I grew up in a similar sized, multiple short bridge access, planned city on the edge of the SF Bay. But it has lagoons and canals running all through, so a third of the houses have water for their backyards... and sailboats. Lots of sailboats (no power allowed). :)
The S2 sounds good, and the 4 resistor model sounds good, that will still be plenty bright for your needs, and offer longer battery life.

Haha, well it is called an Island, we are surrounded by water, with a bridge off the island and another road off, on the maps it looks connected, but that is all marshland that fills up with water when the tide comes in :).

It is about 25 miles away from London, I moved away from London years ago to Canvey, as we used to come here for holidays. And we are pretty much, we have a beach, (Not the best-it is the river thames so the water is black lol).

That is cool, so you come from the SF bay area? A lot of bands I like come from around there (Thrash metal), how was it growing up/living there?
We also have little rivers, a huge lake, and a man made network of dykes, that pump water out when we flood.
The last bad one was about 2 years ago, honestly the worst storm I had seen in my life, we was at the local shopping centre, and the thunder and lightning was happening literally every few seconds, right above us, the manholes had so much pressure they was floating above the ground with water flooding out-and the shopping centre completely flooded, water coming in through the ceiling, covering the floor.

We was trapped for a good few hours, we had to walk home, I was rather worried as I was with Cheyenne, and the water was up to our waists at some points on the way home, I was worried lightning would strike, and get us both.

Luckily we got home, and our house actually is higher than most of the other houses around us, so we didn't flood, but lots of our neighbours flooded.

No one died in that flood though, and it was down to the council not switching on a water pump for the flood defence system.

The last bad flood was in 1953, when many people lost their lives-this is the reason we now have a massive seawall protecting us.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it begins.

Attachments

• IMG_20160516_222132~2.jpg
    IMG_20160516_222132~2.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 18

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So far so good. I picked up the s2+ *6 as a bench mark to start with.

I also grabbed a bunch of cheapo mounts to see if I could set it up on my helmet when this happened.

IMG_20160517_210122.jpg IMG_20160517_210404.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the angle, I'll have to test it out on the trail and see how it lines up.

As for heat, I tested it last night by holding it in my hand for 20 minutes and full power and it only got a little warm. I think once I'm moving on the trail the heat shouldn't be all that bad, but again I'll have to test it out.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far so good. I picked up the s2+ *6 as a bench mark to start with.

I also grabbed a bunch of cheapo mounts to see if I could set it up on my helmet when this happened.

View attachment 51390 View attachment 51391

I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the angle, I'll have to test it out on the trail and see how it lines up.

As for heat, I tested it last night by holding it in my hand for 20 minutes and full power and it only got a little warm. I think once I'm moving on the trail the heat shouldn't be all that bad, but again I'll have to test it out.

Which color tint did you get? That angle on the helmet looks pretty steep. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts after you test it. Try and get some trail beam shots. (while you are stopped of course.. lol) Interested to see how well the *6 on high mode lights up the trail in front of you. I'd guess you are at roughly 800 lumens depending on which color tint you got.

I just ordered a custom Convoy S3 with triple Nichia 219c emitters with a direct drive FET driver. Using a 25r battery, it should blast out close to 2800 lumens. But not for long. After about 30 seconds it will get too hot. But fun blast of light for a short time!. Has 7 modes, so the lower modes won't get too hot.

Just ordered one of these too, with the Nichia 219b emitters and the 18650 tube. Same thing, gotta be careful not to let it get too hot, but it should deal with heat a little better with the solid copper pill and heat sink. With a high drain cell, it should reach around 3000 lumens with a really nice color tint. Those emitters can only handle about 5amps each, so they will be right on the edge when in turbo mode.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ended up going with the 3B tint. So just a hair over 800 lumens. Since ordering the light, work has transferred me to a new city so I'm a little reluctant to ride the new trails at night until I know I won't get myself lost hehe. I might take a drive out to the trail head this weekend to test the light and see how the trail lights up. I'll definitely take some pictures and compare it to the 130 lumen headlamp I had been using.

I have a little bit of play with the angle, but not much. It's hard to tell without being on the bike but It looks like it's just bellow my sight line which might not actually be a bad thing if it lights up just a head of my wheel. I still plan on getting something like the S3 to mount to my bars as it seems like from the pictures it has a really floody beam.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh
I ended up going with the 3B tint. So just a hair over 800 lumens. Since ordering the light, work has transferred me to a new city so I'm a little reluctant to ride the new trails at night until I know I won't get myself lost hehe. I might take a drive out to the trail head this weekend to test the light and see how the trail lights up. I'll definitely take some pictures and compare it to the 130 lumen headlamp I had been using.

I have a little bit of play with the angle, but not much. It's hard to tell without being on the bike but It looks like it's just bellow my sight line which might not actually be a bad thing if it lights up just a head of my wheel. I still plan on getting something like the S3 to mount to my bars as it seems like from the pictures it has a really floody beam.

Yeah, that 3B tint is nice. Will render colors much better than cool white. And yes, the S3 is a little more floody

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I definitely picked up the 3B on your recommendation.

Post up some pictures of your mini spot lights when they come in, would love to see them

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I definitely picked up the 3B on your recommendation.
Post up some pictures of your mini spot lights when they come in, would love to see them

Here's one of them. Astrolux S41 with an 18350 tube. You can switch the tube out with an 18650 tube. Quad optics, Nichia 219B emitters, roughly 1600 OTF (out the front) lumens. Some say as high as 2200, but I have no way of testing. All I know, it's bright as hell.

I have the Nichia 219C triple coming in a few days. It has a Direct drive FET driver in it. Puts out close to 3000 lumens, all in a Convoy S3 host.

Here's the S41

4AHfSJX.jpg

caOp61i.jpg

My back yard, not quite dark yet. Lit up with a single AW 800mAh 18350 battery. Nichia's have nice color rendering. Picts taken with a Galaxy S6 cell phone

L2ksgly.jpg

aprG1Sc.jpg

Pretty wide beam pattern

1SBUy0d.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors