Become a Patron!

What Wattage ?

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just got a Triton mini tank and had the 1.8ohm coil powered at 13 watts, worked great for 300 or so 3 second puffs then for no apparent reason I got the nastiest burnt garbagefire no vape hit.

OK, so changing the coil and I don't know what a good starting wattage or range of wattage to power the .15 ni coil at.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does 40 watts sound like a good starting point?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 0.15 Ni200 coil should only be used in TC mode - not in power mode! What are you using to power it with ?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So put it onto TC Ni mode, lock the resistance before you fire it, and then I'd probably start around 20 watts and 400F. Work up in the temp until it's right -you may have to go up to at least 500F, but I haven't used those particular coils, so I can't say. The wattage only affects how fast it gets to temp, but don't start too high.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, thanks

I just didn't want to jump in and do anything dumb. Having used the Crown on the X Cube 2 it doesn't let you set the wattage, but in soft power with a 400f temp cutoff I can see it pushing 50-80 Watts, so I just didn't know what these smaller coils would ask for and I can't find any power recommendations for them.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, the Crown is different. But I've not found any other Ni200 coils that need that much power!

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, the Crown is like a nitro drag car.:)

I just switched the X Cube to max power and upped the temp to 460f and it's only drawing 40-50 watts, it spikes a couple times higher but it seems consistently lower watts than on the lower settings, not sure I understand how that works yet

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So put it onto TC Ni mode, lock the resistance before you fire it, and then I'd probably start around 20 watts and 400F. Work up in the temp until it's right -you may have to go up to at least 500F, but I haven't used those particular coils, so I can't say. The wattage only affects how fast it gets to temp, but don't start too high.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. 20 watts works just fine with temp control at 410f. It ramps up super quick and hits temp control in about half a second and looks like it's only using 8-10 watts at that point.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. 20 watts works just fine with temp control at 410f. It ramps up super quick and hits temp control in about half a second and looks like it's only using 8-10 watts at that point.
glad that worked!

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that coil didn't last as long as I was hoping. I had turned it up to 450f for a little bit, but mostly was at 420f and quick draws, and just tasted a burned taste. I thought huh that's weird and the next one was a little more burned so I guess this coil is toasted? A little disappointed in that, does that sound like normal coil life? like 400-500 draws.

Is the cotton getting burned or do the coils get caramelized? I was vaping a chai flavor and it's pretty sweet and creamy and marshmallowy, maybe that burns easier?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some flavors are definitely more sensitive to heat. Also some will gunk up a coil pretty quick. If you at any time fired the coil in wattage mode that could also shorten it's life. Usually with a burnt taste it's the wick but coils will build up as well.

VU Sponsors