What's A Hybrid

Discussion in 'Ask An Expert' started by muth, Jul 8, 2014.

1. muth

muth Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    What is it? Is it a cross between a lion and a tiger?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. jeremy

jeremy Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    It's a battery mod which has its own atomizer. Some of them are built-in as a "one-piece" unit, more or less. I could be off-base here, as i don't have any, but that's how i understand it. The Rainbow Heaven Elite is a good example (though it's not without its flaws as a device). You can't use a different atty with it unless you modify it further.

They're mechanical, and take it a step further, by (i think?) reducing voltage drop via connecting the atty to the battery more directly than is possible through a threaded connection. So instead of having an atty butting up against a connector butting up against a battery, the atty is essentially connected to the battery more directly. More or less.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. egomama

egomama Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    a Hybrid is basically a mechanical mod that the tank is directly screwed onto the battery. There is no 510 connection or anything. Hybrids are great if you have a favorite juice you dont mind vaping by the tank full. I have two hybrids. I like them both. But they are difficult to clean the tanks because you have to completely take apart the tank in order to clean it.

madmonkey and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NitroBex

NitroBex The Cloud Chasing Geek Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Donator Bronze Contributor VU Live Leadership VU Live Host Show Host Reviewer Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    Hybrids can also be drippers. One of the key things to a hybrid is your atomizer connects directly to the battery, in theory transferring power better. Hybrids also are thought to have a better look as often they sit flush. With the exception of the Orion all hybrids are mechanical in nature. All hybrids are rebuildables. Hope this helps.

Some examples of hybrids are:
    Dripper - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007491/1635901-valkyrie-style-hybrid-mod

Tank - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007205/1596400-foggatti-t22-style-hybrid-mod-kit

Dripper - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10008385/1754200-dreadnaut-style-26650-hybrid-mechanical-dripper

Tank - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005212/1446203-i-hybrid-v3-mod-rechargeable-e-cigarette-set

Tank - http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006690/1523900-elite-hybrid-mechanical-mod-kit

5. muth

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it does help. Thanks to u all that answered.

6. cigarbabe

cigarbabe Show Host

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    muth likes this.
  7. muth

Blog Posts:
    Okay, so with a hybrid you have the option to use a dripper or screw on an atomizer?

8. muth

Blog Posts:
    That's very helpful. I think I just might like the idea of a dual function.

9. Dhim

Dhim Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Actually not really. Quite often a pure hybrid device will only work with the atomizer provided. For example the valkyrie you can only use the dripper provided with the mod. There is no option (in most cases) to put a standard 510 threaded topcap on it.

Other examples to confuse you more would be something like the Cerebus where it comes with the option to remove the standard 510 threaded bottom, and use a direct connection to a Hades.

In general Hybrids are more limiting since you are stuck with their atomizer setup, however on the flip side the mods end up being a bit smaller and frequently have lower voltage drop since there is less for the current to pass through. They are also quite frequently more pleasing on the eye since the device combo is perfectly paired together.

madmonkey likes this.
  10. muth

Blog Posts:
  11. muth

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Dhim. I think that's what I meant - that u can use a dripper or use it's own atty. You're right, gets confusing. Just need to research some of the suggested models. Thanks all

12. UncleRJ

UncleRJ Will write reviews for Beer! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    What they all said.

While they are indeed here to say and a lot of people really love them, IMHO they are not as quite as popular as they were about a year ago and the really great ones are also really $$$$$$$$$ and a bit rich for my blood:(

13. muth

Blog Posts:
    Wait - can u use any atty if it doesn't have a 510 pin connection cap?

14. Dhim

Dhim Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm getting confused by "drip or use it's own atty". If you get a Hybrid dripper, you can only drip on that atty which is essentially bundled with the device. So if you get a Genesis Hybrid (the most common), you won't be able to put a dripper on it. It will always be a Genesis device unless they release a top cap to have standard 510 threading.

15. NitroBex

NitroBex The Cloud Chasing Geek Staff Member VU Administrator Senior Moderator VU Donator Bronze Contributor VU Live Leadership VU Live Host Show Host Reviewer Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    Basically with a hybrid -- What you see is what you get -- it doesn't change. A nemesis (mech mod) I can put a Tobh on and have a dripper, I can then take the Tobh off and put a Kayfun on and have a tank... A Valkyrie will always be a dripper, a Juggernaut will always be a a tank... You cant change it... It is all 1 piece.

16. CaFF

CaFF Platinum Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I think some of the confusion is because there also are mods that while not exclusively hybrids, they can be hybridized with certain toppers.

Examples of that are the Chi-You & AIOS as well as the Origin & the Aqua.

Here is a pic of the Aqua on a Nemesis in non-hybrid 510 mode on the left

[​IMG]

And here Hybridized with the Origin.

[​IMG]

Hybrid means it screws straight into the mod without having the mods top cap/connector installed. The Aqua's hybrid mode would therefore be connected directly to your battery, no 510 connection.

If buying the Aqua to use in hybrid mode make sure the supplier includes the hybrid adapter screw, for awhile some did not come with it.

17. vapenator

vapenator New Member

Blog Posts:
    I thought a hybrid was when you breed a lion with a bear to create a super pet. I named mine bitey.

18. Celtic Fog

Celtic Fog Tir Na Nog Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Interesting....I have a lion, tiger and bear cross hybrid...his name is "Oh My"

vapenator likes this.
  19. Lindab1284

Lindab1284 Member For 2 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts: