Become a Patron!

What's considered high end?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's crazy. You, my friend, are a freak. LOL
Sorry about the hijack. It just kinda rolled out once I got started.
attachment.php

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's about things like using superior, state-of-the-art technology/engineering or cutting-edge design or craftsmanship, machining, processing, assembly, and top quality materials/components. Usually it's the combination of all or several many of these factors, often also including a pristine finish for cosmetics/style related reasons, i.e. in such a way that it radiates quality through look and feel to make it prestigious, sophisticated, intricate, unique, elegant, robust, luxurious, flamboyant, versatile, etc., but not necessarily always for high exclusivity or for a status symbol despite it commonly having a fairly essential materialistic trait.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's about things like using superior, state-of-the-art technology/engineering or cutting-edge design or craftsmanship, machining, processing, assembly, and top quality materials/components. Usually it's the combination of all or several many of these factors, often also including a pristine finish for cosmetics/style related reasons, i.e. in such a way that it radiates quality through look and feel to make it prestigious, sophisticated, intricate, unique, elegant, robust, luxurious, flamboyant, versatile, etc., but not necessarily always for high exclusivity or for a status symbol despite it commonly having a fairly essential materialistic trait.
So is The Vapedroid X1C2 in Ultem does it look as you described it...... Above ?
a7276e04728c43d54ca5676c58bd6590.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So is The Vapedroid X1C2 in Ultem does it look as you described it...... Above ?
a7276e04728c43d54ca5676c58bd6590.jpg

To be perfectly honest? I'm afraid regulated mods aren't exactly the most aesthetically appealing to me, but that's only me. The main important reason why I use mechs is because, for me, the flavor and especially the feel of the vape is neck and shoulders above any regulated mod if everything else is done right. I do consider the Reload RTA truly very high end, though. The best way to sum it up IMO is that some juices (e.g., Jam Monster) taste better in the Reload RTA than they taste in any high performance RDA, IMO anyway, and I can chain vape it without getting any dry hits, just like an RDA, AND, I can't get it to leak. It's the only RTA that I actually like, and love. So logically, it follows that it's a high end RTA. (That is, after you put in the right coil build... no putting tractor wheels on a Ferrari please... :D)

aliens.jpg

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I use good SS 316L builds..... The coils are very important....
5db0b5c7f27ca85dc314b4ff7fa3e153.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My beloved Frankenbox was ranked in the top .5% on the 3DMark online results board 17 years ago. All go. No show. Water cooled with 2 motorcycle radiators and a 120mm fan in the freezer part of that little fridge. Aquarium pump and tubing, and the reservoir was a container from Dollar Tree. Copper water block mounted by a homemade nut and bolt system.

2 power supplies. 1 to run the core machine and 1 to run the drive array and the 11 fans that did the rest of the cooling, including the video card which also had a rigged up Intel cpu cooler on the processor, and heat sinks on the g-ram mounted with thermal cement. I got the second one to run by shorting one of the 12 volt leads on the motherboard connector with the ground and using an old drive to give it some more draw so it wouldn't burn out.

I had that AMD Athlon XP 1900+ Thoroughbred Rev-b, overclocked 970 mhz to approaching 3 ghz, which at the time was almost unheard of. I had to solder potentiometers to the voltage regulators on the motherboard so I could over volt the front side bus and memory bus to get the juice it required for those frequencies. It had to be adjusted slowly while in the bios with a small long screwdriver so I could see where it was and not blow it up. Both the graphics processor and g-ram, along with the system memory were overclocked hard as well so hence all that cooling there too.

2 512's of Crucial Ballistix memory with all the timings tweaked tight enough to snap.

4 40 gig drives in 2 80 gig arrays in raid 0. Those were in the bottom which was the shell of an old cd-rom server (Anybody remember those?) The top was the tray from another old case which was duct taped to the bottom around the edges. I had thermistor based temperature sensors on the processor, the video processor, video memory and northbride of the chipset. To start it, I had to turn on the fridge, water pump and radiator fan first, watch the temps and boot the machine when everything was cold, but not frozen. Yes, that's antifreeze in the tubing.

The power and reset buttons are on that long little white rectangular piece on top of the main power supply in front of all that wiring and you can see one of the temperature monitors that looks like a little screen (because it is) sitting on the edge of the desk.

Uglier than sin, but a rock crushing monster of a performer for the day. Powered through all the benchmarks like a rocket sled.

She was my baby. I loved that machine almost like another kid.

These are the only pix I have left.
View attachment 128507 View attachment 128508
But can it run Crysis? :p

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I use good SS 316L builds..... The coils are very important....
5db0b5c7f27ca85dc314b4ff7fa3e153.jpg

I don't mean to be rude, but to me it looks like not enough cotton inside the coils. You can thin out the ends of the wicks after you inserted the wicks into the coils. Doing this gives the right amount of cotton in BOTH the coils AND on top of the juice holes so that there is no gaping hole above the cotton at either end of the coils. In addition, the coils in your pic look slightly maligned with airflow, possibly also not having enough space between both coils due to the coil diameter being slightly overzealous with regards to the build deck's limited size, as this hampers airflow stability/focus and degrades flavor IMO. To be able to vape these coils at the typical high wattages that I would vape them at, they need a strong enough yet also uniformly distributed, well-focused and stable airflow with not much uncontrolled turbulence going on. But that's only me. I just can't get the best flavor and feel of the vape on anything if the wattage is too far below 90 watts so about 88 watts or so is the absolute minimum for me. And that's with a single coil alien Ni80 28/38 at 6.5 wraps 3.5mm ID, using the preheat function of a regulated mod to shorten the ramp up time. Anything less than that starts to feel like licking drops of soup from a teaspoon or collecting small crumbs with my wetted fingertip, leaving me wanting for (much) more. At least for me, it's a watered-down, or "ersatz", vape experience that's a far distance away from the real thing, kind of like trying to vape a mech on an empty battery. For lack of a more fitting description.

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I don't mean to be rude, but to me it looks like not enough cotton inside the coils. You can thin out the ends of the wicks after you inserted the wicks into the coils. Doing this gives the right amount of cotton in BOTH the coils AND on top of the juice holes so that there is no gaping hole above the cotton at either end of the coils. In addition, the coils in your pic look slightly maligned with airflow, possibly also not having enough space between both coils due to the coil diameter being slightly overzealous with regards to the build deck's limited size, as this hampers airflow stability/focus and degrades flavor IMO. To be able to vape these coils at the typical high wattages that I would vape them at, they need a strong enough yet also uniformly distributed, well-focused and stable airflow with not much uncontrolled turbulence going on. But that's only me. I just can't get the best flavor and feel of the vape on anything if the wattage is too far below 90 watts so about 88 watts or so is the absolute minimum for me. And that's with a single coil alien Ni80 28/38 at 6.5 wraps 3.5mm ID, using the preheat function of a regulated mod to shorten the ramp up time. Anything less than that starts to feel like licking drops of soup from a teaspoon or collecting small crumbs with my wetted fingertip, leaving me wanting for (much) more. At least for me, it's a watered-down, or "ersatz", vape experience that's a far distance away from the real thing, kind of like trying to vape a mech on an empty battery. For lack of a more fitting description.

thanx for the info.

I wouldn't even show you my installs, you would be like :slowclap::facepalm:.

but I SURE would like to try yours.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
what do you think of the Intake Manny ?
I cannot believe it Vapes like a fucking dual coil.... And the taste ... Oh shit is In par with the reload..... And that is hard to accomplish....

And a perfect single coil.... Good clouds and taste..... 30 watts and zero leaks no matter what !!!!!!

Definitely worth $29 bucks
6e5c04262094fc64a475b18133594e85.jpg

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
here is mine, its my morning work vape. I keep DIY coffee in it. I am plenty happy with it. though, the fire pin has started leaking after sitting unused. otherwise, it DOES NOT, leak. I keep the band on it, cause it does fall over sometimes, and its a good handle.

crappy pics, again :facepalm:

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
here is mine, its my morning work vape. I keep DIY coffee in it. I am plenty happy with it. though, the fire pin has started leaking after sitting unused. otherwise, it DOES NOT, leak. I keep the band on it, cause it does fall over sometimes, and its a good handle.

crappy pics, again :facepalm:

View attachment 129219

View attachment 129220
It is well built for real... Good quality materials.... It doesn't feel cheap....

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
High End or High Priced doesn't always mean High Satisfaction. I use my beat up old RX200S more than any MOD I own because even though I love it I do not have to worry about drops and it just keeps firing and firing..............

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
High End or High Priced doesn't always mean High Satisfaction. I use my beat up old RX200S more than any MOD I own because even though I love it I do not have to worry about drops and it just keeps firing and firing..............
Yeah nice mods I keep at home..... My favorite mod to use daily and it's beautiful..... Cost $35 bucks.... And it's amazing....

The only mod that has silicone weather proofing on the 510 and buttons..... And yes 200 watts..... The Wildwolf ......
Well at least tha't what Chef's looking for..... Well we all are.... Ha ha......

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for high end mech mods, their voltage drop tends to be fairly important (if not critically important) to a lot of people who want to talk about high end mech mods because the voltage drop has such a major impact on a mech mod's performance. So, navigate to 30:59 in the video, and, pay special attention at 34:02 if you want to see the light.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess high end is when you want something that works good, looks good, is build with exceptional materials in a far away island, and not available to purchase at every Vape shop ......

And let's not forget made in limited quantities....

And the person who wants it will pay for it.......

And being someone who enjoys a wonderful ass rape......

89c64f70026e824325d2a1072c6745bb.jpg

Last edited:

joha_wa_alhimar

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess high end is when you want something that works good, looks good, is build with exceptional materials in a far away island, and not available to purchase at every Vape shop ......

And let's not forget made in limited quantities....

And the person who wants it will pay for it.......

And getting ass raped......
89c64f70026e824325d2a1072c6745bb.jpg

The Philippines may be far but they know their vape stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just had a thought on Overpriced. Is an Overpriced Gorgeous POS High End? I would be one to buy something overpriced just because it looked a certain way but is a piece junk high end?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So high end equals getting screwed and liking it?
These mods below are definitely not overpriced..... And they perform and feel similar to a High end on my list......

I have yet bought a high end mod and felt screwed or overpriced....... But I have seen mods sell for $3,000 to $6,000 that I felt they were overpriced.

Compared to the 20+ low ends I have thrown away..... And low ends are considered above $50.00 bucks.....

So what's considered high-end ?
$300, $850, $1,500
bc440f2f26c1f05a91a6b3d466fc4dab.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I guess I'm the only one seeing a typo. My comment was tongue n cheek about the typo I'm seeing. Sorry.
You weren’t the only one... I’ve been laughing hysterically since lunch

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So a high end and a low is above $50?

There is midrange too - though a lot of people do consider over $50 high,

My personal scale is low is under $50, mid is $50 to $100, high is $100-$200, and then you get into luxury. This applies to mods and atties IMO

However, as noted many times, you can find high quality or utter garbage in all of those ranges

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I dont even try and find a price to quality ratio anymore, some of it has gotten off the rails. There is some stuff that belongs in a dumpster that comes in with big price tags and some super amazing stuff that should cost more.

joha_wa_alhimar

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Overpriced is a bit relative, imo. At a certain point it could be considered as buying a usable piece of art, like when you get into nice stabilized wood. That being said, there are plenty of quality mods out there using nice chips for under $100 which wouldn't be considered "high end" because they're essentially mass produced, even though they'll work just as well.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Overpriced is a bit relative, imo. At a certain point it could be considered as buying a usable piece of art, like when you get into nice stabilized wood. That being said, there are plenty of quality mods out there using nice chips for under $100 which wouldn't be considered "high end" because they're essentially mass produced, even though they'll work just as well.
Depending on what you are looking for, some regulated mods below $100 actually even work a lot better than any of the much higher priced ones. For example, mods that can support ArcticFox firmware let you use a custom power curve in such a way that you don't have to re-adjust your power curve settings whenever you set a different wattage on the mod, which AFAIK none of the other mods can do.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors