Become a Patron!

What's the best coil for me?

Ok so I'm a complete noob when it comes to vaping as I have only been immersed in the confusion for around 2 or 3 days. After watching reviews and learning about the different types of builds I decided to go with a VW mod: The IPV2 50 Watt, which from what I've read decided I'll be running it in the 15-20 watt range. I looked at the different types of atomizers and decided to go with the Magma RDA by Paradigm. My question is: What size wire and coil setup should I be using if i'm going to be using cotton for my wick? My understanding is that the size of the coil, size of the wire, number of loops, space between the loops etc. determines the amount of ohms that the atomizer produces. I'm wanting to make a coil that vapes in the 1-1.5 ohm range and another that vapes in the 2.5 ohm range just to see the difference but I've seen so many ways of doing it. Some people use a single coil and some use multiple coils made from either one or two wires. If someone could break this down for me that'd be great.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
start with a single 28 gauge coil 6 or 7 wraps around 3/32 drill bit that will get you in the 1-1.5ohm range

Thanks for the reply guys. For future reference, would it be ok to sub ohm with this atomizer assuming I have the correct battery (Sony 18650)

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I'm a complete noob when it comes to vaping as I have only been immersed in the confusion for around 2 or 3 days. After watching reviews and learning about the different types of builds I decided to go with a VW mod: The IPV2 50 Watt, which from what I've read decided I'll be running it in the 15-20 watt range. I looked at the different types of atomizers and decided to go with the Magma RDA by Paradigm. My question is: What size wire and coil setup should I be using if i'm going to be using cotton for my wick? My understanding is that the size of the coil, size of the wire, number of loops, space between the loops etc. determines the amount of ohms that the atomizer produces. I'm wanting to make a coil that vapes in the 1-1.5 ohm range and another that vapes in the 2.5 ohm range just to see the difference but I've seen so many ways of doing it. Some people use a single coil and some use multiple coils made from either one or two wires. If someone could break this down for me that'd be great.

Dual coils produce more vapor in most setups, that's why so many people use them. WRT ohms they work the opposite way you would think. So for example if you had two coils that measured 3.0 ohm when mounted separately if you mounted them together in a dual coil setup they would yield 1.5ohms.

Start with a single coil and once you get it working try dual-coils if you like. They're somewhat trickier to get on and working right.

26 or 28 gauge Kanthal would be a good place to start, those are easy to work with. BTW, the lower the gauge of Kanthal the thicker the wire, and the less ohms it gives per unit length.

My advice to you as a beginner with building your own coils would be to pay as much, if not more, attention to wicking than the coils themselves. Without proper wicking you'll get terrible results. There is some variance in exactly how wicking should be done on different RDAs/RBAs, but in terms of putting the wick through the coil itself I've had good results with the rule of thumb that the cotton wick should fill up the inside of the coil, but should also be loose enough that if you set your mod down with the atomizer attached you should be able to pull the wick through the coil with one hand without tipping the mod over.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the reply guys. For future reference, would it be ok to sub ohm with this atomizer assuming I have the correct battery (Sony 18650)
Yes. I have not seen a dripper that is unsafe to sub ohm with and if you are using a VTC4 or VTC5 with a regulated mod (like the IPV2) you should be safe vaping any build that are within the limits of the mod.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try two types both at 1.4 and 2 Ohm. Wrap a single coil, not a microcoil with 30 Gauge and then 28 Gauge. Then wrap a microcoil with 28 Gauge and 26 Gauge if you have it. The key is to have fun and experiment! My second coil was a dragon coil, I wrapped it and found that it had been done already. Great vapor production, but be careful on the Ohms. My first one (dual) was .17 Ohms, kicked the vapor, but boy was it HOT.

VU Sponsors