Become a Patron!

What's the best option?

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So my dad has been vaping for maybe two years. I recently got him an istick. I think it was 20w or 30w. His tank has no airflow and I think his setup isn't great. I found a itaste VF RDA I bought a while back. When I got it, the guy at the vape shop said that RDA is not for clouds. It's for flavor. That's up my dad's alley. So I figured if I get a single coil, a spare battery I got, and buy him a cheap charger. It'd be a better upgrade. Now, I was planning on giving him my fuhattan clone mechanical mod. Any input? How many ohms should the coil be for flavor chasing?

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That rda looks like a leak-fest to me with no o-rings. The video below says it's more of a cloud chasing atty for dual coils, not for single. I'd try and get him something like an Aeolus or a Vector rda that won't leak very easily so he doesn't get discouraged. These can both be purchased as clones that range around 10 to 15 bucks. Build him a .7 or so coil. I prefer dual coils for flavor, but to each is own.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That rda looks like a leak-fest to me with no o-rings. The video below says it's more of a cloud chasing atty for dual coils, not for single. I'd try and get him something like an Aeolus or a Vector rda that won't leak very easily so he doesn't get discouraged. These can both be purchased as clones that range around 10 to 15 bucks. Build him a .7 or so coil. I prefer dual coils for flavor, but to each is own.

Like I had said, I want to stick to a single coil. So would you still recommend the two RDA's you mentioned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I would recommend usually for flavor chasing around .2 ohms so it's not to much heat and also so you don't have to keep adjusting your resistance

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would recommend usually for flavor chasing around .2 ohms so it's not to much heat and also so you don't have to keep adjusting your resistance
Would .2 ohms be too much for a single coil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't use a single coil on that rda. The vape shop salesman either lied to you or didn't know what he was talking about..

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like I had said, I want to stick to a single coil. So would you still recommend the two RDA's you mentioned?

Yes you can do single coils on the Aeolus and duals on the Vector. Both are very leak free. My opinion .2 will be too hot for a new rda user, but no harm in experimenting with different resistance coils.

The problem with .2 on a single coil is the number of wraps to get to .2 Using 24g wire, you will only have 2 wraps. You would have to use 20g wire to get 5 wraps to come to .2ohms. Wrapping 20g is like trying to wrap re-bar.

Using dual coil 24g wire, you would have 5 wraps on each coil. 22g wire you would have 7 wraps to get to .2

Going to a .7ohm single coil, you could use 24g with 8 wraps.

Also, another negative with a newb using a .2 resistance is the amp draw from a battery. You're looking at 21 amps, which is ok as long as you are using a good quality battery like a Samsung 25r that is rated at 20amp continous discharge, but a much higher pulse discharge. A newb might get pretty frustrated though, he will be sucking that battery dry quickly. If you are using some shit battery like a trustfire, he could potentially hurt himself.
A .5 build is drawing 8.4amps, and a .7 would draw about 6amps

Experiment with this calculator before building. Hope all that helps

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Magma clone is set up for single coil or dual..not huge air draw but great flavor.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Consider the air flow more of a slow chilled out draw rather than filling your lungs in 3 seconds...vape isnt hot at all even with dual coils at .5 ohm. And 30 watts.

Not many will argue of the magma being a wonderful flavor rda...i had one myself and was impressed but wanted more air flow so went with a Marquis. (Not a single coil type rda).

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes you can do single coils on the Aeolus and duals on the Vector. Both are very leak free.
As a quick thought, I have the Mutation X V2 sitting on my desk. I don't have a coil in it atm but what would you say for that. I'm just trying to avoid buying an RDA. I have two I don't use so I'd rather see one be put to use.

As a quick thought, I have the Mutation X V2 sitting on my desk. I don't have a coil in it atm but what would you say for that. I'm just trying to avoid buying an RDA. I have two I don't use so I'd rather see one be put to use.
Dude I would use the mutation it's a great rda

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Consider the air flow more of a slow chilled out draw rather than filling your lungs in 3 seconds...vape isnt hot at all even with dual coils at .5 ohm. And 30 watts.

Not many will argue of the magma being a wonderful flavor rda...i had one myself and was impressed but wanted more air flow so went with a Marquis. (Not a single coil type rda).
Having a lot of air flow isn't really an issue. My dad was on the cancer sticks for a long time. I got him into vaping and he calls it his pacifier lmfao

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dude I would use the mutation it's a great rda

Okay then, I guess the Mutation overrules the itaste VF. I'll just put a coil in it. How many ohms would you recommend for a single coil. I'm aiming for simplicity. My father never had an RDA. So I wanna start with a single coil, so when he needs to replace the wick it'll be hell of a lot easier.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Give the magma a shot..there pretty cheap cost wise and even the clones themselves are built like tanks.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Give the magma a shot..there pretty cheap cost wise and even the clones themselves are built like tanks.
Honestly, thanks for the input. But I may just stick with the Mutation. I've used it for maybe a year. It was my first RDA. So, I'll just get 24g kanthal wire tomorow and build a coil and wick it.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try 1.2ohms and go down from there..test it yourself untill you think its right then give it to him..lol

Keep in mind a low ohm is going to ask for alot of wattage from a device and much less battery life per charge.

.5 ohm needs at least 30 watts.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try 1.2ohms and go down from there..test it yourself untill you think its right then give it to him..lol

Keep in mind a low ohm is going to ask for alot of wattage from a device and much less battery life per charge.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind,

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

He's going to be using a tube mech mod.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's pre set it's not variable

On a mech mod the ohms and voltage determines the wattage but it drops as voltage drops...its 25 watts with 4.2 volts with a .7 ohm coil and less as the voltage drops.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got confused reading through on which mod, either way for someone coming from the nautilus generation of clearos a magma would be a nice upgrade,
A simple 28g one ohm build would be a huge leap forward, for him. (20w istick needs 1ohm to fire)
The only 2 draw backs on the magma would be unscrewing to drip, and the airflow might be a little tight in single coil mode. but the huge juice well tends to make the unscrewing thingy a little less of an issue.
The mako from beyond vape would be nice too and if he wants to start getting into more airflow those RDAs take the chuff style caps, but you need to be in dual coil to use them. the mako(not mako war) has much more airflow than the magma; and, the cap comes off easy for dripping, also the deck is easy to build on with a deep well. Best part is its an authentic from beyond vape and its 35$
I tried mine on a provari p3 with a one ohm single coil and it was a nice flavorful vape at 20w.
**not a regular p3 user for RDAs but was curious and had to find a way to make that thing take a dripper.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OP said he was giving his Dad a mech tube.

Personally, I'd buy him an Innokin Coolfire IV an iSub tank, a couple packs of .5 spare coils and be done with it.
right, that or an MVP3PRO is great for an RDA without having to worry about chargers and extra doodads, plus its built like brick shithouse.

VU Sponsors