What's the Best RTA for Flavor Chasing?

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm a Flavor Chaser all the way. Chucking clouds is nice, but I'm after a VERY potent flavor.

Right now I run a Kayfun V4 by Tobeco on an iStick 20W. It's not bad, but there might be better.
I've read and heard that there are better options for Flavor Chasers than the Kayfun line.
Some examples include the Kanger Subtank Mini, the Lemo Drop and the Orchid.

Can anyone who has experience with these tanks give me a comparison of the flavor?
So far, out of all the juices I've tried, I haven't gotten as potent of flavor as I'd like to.
It could be that I need to buy from a site that can add "flavor shots."
Or, it could be that I need to start making my own, that way I can use as much flavor as I want.

Regardless, I'm hoping you guys can tell me if there's a better RTA for Flavor Chasers.

Thanks for reading! :)

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me personally, I would suggest the Lemo Drop and many agree with me when it comes to flavor. I don't have the Orchid or sub tank mini, but I do have the 25mm sub tank. I get better vapor with the sub tank, but it cannot compete with the flavor of the Lemo Drop. YMMV

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me personally, I would suggest the Lemo Drop and many agree with me when it comes to flavor. I don't have the Orchid or sub tank mini, but I do have the 25mm sub tank. I get better vapor with the sub tank, but it cannot compete with the flavor of the Lemo Drop. YMMV
Thanks for the input! I've heard tons of good things about the Lemo Drop.

The best I have tried is the EHpro Billow as i have all of the above the flavor is amazing
I've actually never even heard of that tank before. I'll look into it though! Thanks!

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have the Drop, but I do have the regular Lemo, and it's a lot better than the Kayfun.
I guess the Drop is just shorter than the regular Lemo.
The flavor should be the same between the two, so if the Lemo beats the Kayfun; so does the Drop.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love my kayfun and have found even slightly adjusting the build can have a dramatic impact on flavor. I finally found the perfect setup for my combination of gear, juice and power and the flavor is outstanding. You might be able to find what you're looking for with what you have if you play around with adjusting the variables some. Just a thought. Good luck.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always feel left out in these threads. I'm a genesis style kind of guy when it comes to tanks. One day I'll make the switch... maybe.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the full size LEMO and it has good flavor when you dial the airflow back and use a 3mm coil, I've read the drop has better flavor due to the reduced chamber.

Best flavor I've had out of anything is in my orchid v4. Surprisingly it even beats all my RDAs including my magmas, veritas, and marquis. I just wish the damn thing wouldn't leak. I have 3 of them and they all leak.

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My vote goes to the Rose V2. I bought an extra one after the great taste from the first. I just got an Aqua V2 which has good taste as well. I think I want to put a little higher resistance into that one. My first build on it was 0.5. I keep my Roses around 1.

Last edited:

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love my kayfun and have found even slightly adjusting the build can have a dramatic impact on flavor. I finally found the perfect setup for my combination of gear, juice and power and the flavor is outstanding. You might be able to find what you're looking for with what you have if you play around with adjusting the variables some. Just a thought. Good luck.
If you have any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them!
Currently I've got a 1.2 ohm coil in there, using Japanese organic cotton.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"X" ohms doesn't mean anything. What are your build specs? Gauge, diameter and wrap count please.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"X" ohms doesn't mean anything. What are your build specs? Gauge, diameter and wrap count please.
28 gauge Kanthal, 5-6 wraps around a 7/64 drill bit.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More wraps. You don't have enough surface area. In my kayfun I've found the best setup for my needs is 28g, 7/64" diameter, 9 wraps. Similar to yours, but more wraps. I've gone down to 7 wraps just to see and the flavor really fell off. Went back up to 9 and it's great. Any more didn't help and when the coil starts getting too long I start having wicking issues. I couldn't believe what a difference 2 wraps made. Also the more wraps I used the more power I had to push to it to get the coil temp where I wanted. 5-6 wraps isn't enough surface area. I would keep the gauge and diameter and do 8-10 wraps. Start at about 14 watts and turn it up until it's obvious you went too far then back it down to what seems just right.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
More wraps. You don't have enough surface area. In my kayfun I've found the best setup for my needs is 28g, 7/64" diameter, 9 wraps. Similar to yours, but more wraps. I've gone down to 7 wraps just to see and the flavor really fell off. Went back up to 9 and it's great. Any more didn't help and when the coil starts getting too long I start having wicking issues. I couldn't believe what a difference 2 wraps made. Also the more wraps I used the more power I had to push to it to get the coil temp where I wanted. 5-6 wraps isn't enough surface area. I would keep the gauge and diameter and do 8-10 wraps. Start at about 14 watts and turn it up until it's obvious you went too far then back it down to what seems just right.
Okay. I'll give it a try.

Keep in mind I can't do more than 20W right now though.

Perkidan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I only have the Subtank Mini, but if any of the others chuck better flavor than it, I would probably have a spontaneous orgasm.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@BoomStick, your build seems to give me basically the same flavor as my previous 1.2 ohm build. :(

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess the Drop is just shorter than the regular Lemo.
The flavor should be the same between the two, so if the Lemo beats the Kayfun; so does the Drop.

From what I understand the distance the vapor has to travel from the chamber to the mouth also makes a difference, the shorter the better. That is a big reason why RDAs are considered better for flavor than tanks. This being said, that would make the shorter drop have better flavor than the regular lemo

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also have an Orchid V2, I really liked the flavor and vapor production, just dont use it much because of the capacity

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
two you booger hahaha @moecat hey you know a nice trick the subtank base covers the hole on the billow do you dont need the screw haha I tried it yesterday works great I hate that screw
Thanks for the tip :) ... desperately trying to avoid the Subtank as I don't need any more RTAs, clearos, etc.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the tip :) ... desperately trying to avoid the Subtank as I don't need any more RTAs, clearos, etc.
@moecat same bro haha thats why when my subtank cracked I just did not care I love the billow haha it does make it easier to fill though no freaking screw I hate that freaking screw I was going to tap out the top and decided nahh there has to be another way,, so 34.99 for a base for my billow that I can use instead of a screw damned right that subtank was good for somethin ;)

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
28 gauge Kanthal, 5-6 wraps around a 7/64 drill bit.
Both of mine are tensioned micros, 29ga, 6/7 wraps at 3/32" and to be honest it rivals if not beats my Magma in both flavor and vapor.. Usually running em between 11-15 watts depending on what mod I'm using..

Vaping Bully

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How are you guys vaping 11-17 watts I can't do it, too cold

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
How are you guys vaping 11-17 watts I can't do it, too cold
Anything over 15w in a Kayfun is not fun on the throat at all, and even then it depends on juice, airflow, resistance, coil build, etc. I've got a 30w Sigelei Mini and a 40w Vamo v7 and don't see ever using even half that wattage. My Magmas never even gone past 18 (I don't sub-ohm at all). If 12w simulates the feeling of smoking a cig, that's all I need. I'm old, I didn't take up vaping just for fun heh.

Vaping Bully

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use kayfuns at work with 2mm 7/8 wraps 24g on a mech. I don't want to blow huge clouds but I still thinks the watts are pretty high I don't remember exactly. That's my perfect set up for a kayfun. Good vapor ,flavor ,and warmth.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I usually stick between 15-25 watts, depending on the juice I'm using. I run a Kayfun V4 on an iStick 50W.
I've been doing direct lung inhales for a while now, but if I do a mouth-to-lung at more than 17 or so, it's too warm.
Anything more than 25 and the juice starts to burn (less than that, depending on the juice).

I'm a Flavor Chaser all the way. Chucking clouds is nice, but I'm after a VERY potent flavor.

Right now I run a Kayfun V4 by Tobeco on an iStick 20W. It's not bad, but there might be better.
I've read and heard that there are better options for Flavor Chasers than the Kayfun line.
Some examples include the Kanger Subtank Mini, the Lemo Drop and the Orchid.

Can anyone who has experience with these tanks give me a comparison of the flavor?
So far, out of all the juices I've tried, I haven't gotten as potent of flavor as I'd like to.
It could be that I need to buy from a site that can add "flavor shots."
Or, it could be that I need to start making my own, that way I can use as much flavor as I want.

Regardless, I'm hoping you guys can tell me if there's a better RTA for Flavor Chasers.

Thanks for reading! :)
I love this thread!! First time poster, long time follower. Vape on. Heres my input: super flavor chaser. Ive been chasing for the perfect flavor machine forever and I thought I found it in the kayfun 4. Its a superb machine. One of my favorites at the moment. Did all 3 kanger subtanks, joytech delta 2, aspire atlantis (joke of a tank), eleaf lemo and drop, russian 91%, kayfun 3.1, lite, lite plus, 4, but the crown of them all is the gg ithaka. I dont understand how its so overlooked. Kayfun are awesome. Until the 4, the lite was my back up and nothing seems to match up to my ithaka. Its a supreme vape. Seriously, I cant emphasize this enough. Get a clone if you cant get the authentic, just get one. Its a bitch to build but the work is so worth it if your really searching for the perfecr tank. The hits are smooth as a babys ass, vapor production is par, but the flavor is magnificent. I really dont have enough words to express my palates sense of satisfactio. But from all the searching I found that as awesome tanks as the kayfun 4 and ithaka are, its really dependant on your taste. I find some juices taste better in certain tanks. For instance, I find Thenancara's Paradisio is much for flavorful and well rounded in the gg ithaka compared to the kayfun 4. During the inhale the notes hits you one at a time before it all comes together during exhale. But when it comes to Lazarus Vintage's Sir James VSOP I find it much more of a pronounced vape on the kayfun 4. Where the ithaka misses on the earthy cognac notes, the kayfun 4 delivers with a punch.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sad to see the old but true Taifun GT get left out here, flavor wise...same coil build on my kayfun and GT and the GT blows its doors off...The GT is significantly taller than a kayfun as well...Cant wait to see how the nano version works when i get it all from fasttech with the V2 base.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had never heard of the GG Ithaka before. I saw it can be a pia to build correctly? Or is that just in the clones? I like easy builds the best. That way I can get to vaping that much quicker.

I love this thread!! First time poster, long time follower. Vape on. Heres my input: super flavor chaser. Ive been chasing for the perfect flavor machine forever and I thought I found it in the kayfun 4. Its a superb machine. One of my favorites at the moment. Did all 3 kanger subtanks, joytech delta 2, aspire atlantis (joke of a tank), eleaf lemo and drop, russian 91%, kayfun 3.1, lite, lite plus, 4, but the crown of them all is the gg ithaka. I dont understand how its so overlooked. Kayfun are awesome. Until the 4, the lite was my back up and nothing seems to match up to my ithaka. Its a supreme vape. Seriously, I cant emphasize this enough. Get a clone if you cant get the authentic, just get one. Its a bitch to build but the work is so worth it if your really searching for the perfecr tank. The hits are smooth as a babys ass, vapor production is par, but the flavor is magnificent. I really dont have enough words to express my palates sense of satisfactio. But from all the searching I found that as awesome tanks as the kayfun 4 and ithaka are, its really dependant on your taste. I find some juices taste better in certain tanks. For instance, I find Thenancara's Paradisio is much for flavorful and well rounded in the gg ithaka compared to the kayfun 4. During the inhale the notes hits you one at a time before it all comes together during exhale. But when it comes to Lazarus Vintage's Sir James VSOP I find it much more of a pronounced vape on the kayfun 4. Where the ithaka misses on the earthy cognac notes, the kayfun 4 delivers with a punch.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The KFL+ was my go to for a long time, tried several variations of tanks (Aqua V1 & V2, Taifun GT & GS, Orchid, Orchid V4 and a Silverplay) but while many pumped out great clouds and could handle lower resistance builds, flavor was never as good.

1220l7m.jpg

Diagonal build, 7 wraps of 28g @1.2ohms w/ Japanese cotton I found to be my best general setup for me. Was about to pull the trigger on the authentic KF4, but then I discovered Genesis atomizers, and gave away my beloved KFL+ to my co-worker shortly after ;)

I even find that RDA's are unable to produce the same level of flavor either, so got rid off all but one which I only use now when I go on a juice sampling run.

So in regards to the OP's quest for potent flavor, I promise you wont find anything more potent than a genesis tank with a reduced chamber ;)

However, keep in mind single flavor juices in a genny only tastes as good as the juice itself, to experience its full potential, the multi-flavor, complex blends are where you will really find the flavors to pop.

But if Gennies are not your thing, I would have to say KF4 too; with exception of the clones, everyone I know who has one pretty much swears by them as the go to tank.

Last edited:

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Yeah I have 2 KFL+ V2s (an EHPro and an Infinite) and thought those were the be all end all for me.. The KF4 though blows em away as far as flavor and vapor goes.. I have 3 Tobeco KF4s now and they have pretty much stopped me from looking at other tanks altogether. They do everything just the way I like it and then some! Not to mention the blue one is pretty damn rad looking. I just need a black one now and all will be complete haha!

Still on my search for the right RDA though.. I have an Infinite Magma, but the damn thing leaks like theres no tomorrow! As awesome as the flavor out of it is, I bought a Derringer clone yesterday so well see.. To be honest, the Magma is rad, but the Kayfun 4 keeps me so satisfied vape-wise I probably wasted money on the Derringer but oh well itll be nice to try something different..

Blows my mind how some of you can vape an RTA at 15watts.
I run my Lemo with a .9ohm build at 22w with my 30w IPV Mini. Even if I close the air intake almost all the way off, at 15w I get a cold and tasteless, sorry excuse for a vape. Hell....every once in a while I'll find a juice that wants 25w thrown at it.
Is the power weird from the IPV? I just don't get it.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Blows my mind how some of you can vape an RTA at 15watts.
I run my Lemo with a .9ohm build at 22w with my 30w IPV Mini. Even if I close the air intake almost all the way off, at 15w I get a cold and tasteless, sorry excuse for a vape. Hell....every once in a while I'll find a juice that wants 25w thrown at it.
Is the power weird from the IPV? I just don't get it.

Its all relative to your build, wicking and wire. For example, 20w firing a 30g wire at 1ohm is very different from 20w firing a 26g wire at the same resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My kanger subtank plus with mini rba puts out some awesome flavor, better than my rda.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I can't understand how heating thicker wire takes more power. o_O
I remember the time I tried wrapping a 22ga dual coil @ 1.0ohm and stuck it on a mech. Ramp up time turned out to be a bit of an issue, lol.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Diablo One is awesome. @KKen check out Todds channel on Youtube, definetely a great piece. And its on sale at liberty flights on UK.

retic1959

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had never heard of the GG Ithaka before. I saw it can be a pia to build correctly? Or is that just in the clones? I like easy builds the best. That way I can get to vaping that much quicker.
KK , the Ithaka needs non resistance wire welded on to resistance wire to build , the Rose V2 has some similarities to the Ithaka but it doesn't need non resistance wire to build it . It's not as easy to build a Rose as it is a Kayfun initially but you get used to it quickly , I can rebuild a Rose in about the same amount of time as a Kayfun now . There's a little longer learning curve but the results are well worth the time spent IMO .

GraceH

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm moving to gennys. Check out a nextgen. And I've seen ppl use ss mesh in a rda. Its called a "slug". That's what I'm trying next to flavor chase.

Happy vaping!!!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The biggest reason i drip is for flavor. It just so happens that most of my builds also produce a lot of vapor, but flavor is key for me. I was in a shop a few weeks ago and the guy working there let me try his Arctic tank. I was blown away. It was easily as good as many flavor chasing attys i have. The only reason i didn't buy one was because it doesn't offer a rebuildable section. I like to have the option in case coils are unavailable when i need them. Otherwise i would have bought one right then and there, it was awesome

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kangertech sudtank mini or plus with mini rba, best flavor i have found so far out of any atty period. Kayfun is a second close.

mcginnis314

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any updated recommendations? Was thinking of a Kayfun v4, but with all these newer sub-ohm tanks with RBA sections the selections are just getting overwhelming.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
In my opinion, there is no comparison to flavor production of the aqua v2.
Billow 2 is great for vapor production, especially at higher power, but the flavor for me is just a tad muted in comparison to the aqua 2. The taifun2 is another good flavor atty, but its a tighter draw than aquav2.
The big upside t the kayfun is the massive amount of accessories to it, its easy to build on, an doesnt require alot of power.
None of which equates to a lot of flavor, side by Side with something like the aqua or billow, you'll notice, decreased flavor in the kayfun and anemic vapor production.
But It is nice for a novice builder just coming off clearos. The vape is about like an expensive Sub-Tank/rbA kit wit a smaller Tank an not very sub. Of course it has the kegerator tank that gives it 5ml

Last edited:

VU Sponsors