Become a Patron!

What's the Best Squonking Mod and Atty for 2016?

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The year has been great for us bottom feeders. We've seen an influx of mass produced mods and atties in various price ranges and capabilities. To name just a few that I remember right now, we had the Kanger Dripbox and Dripbox 160, the Copper Vape, the Halcyon, the Wraith, the Therion BF, and the HCigar VT Inbox Squonk. While high end mod makers continue to manufacture interesting and great products, 2016 is undoubtedly the year of mass production when it comes to squonking.

In terms of atties, we've also seen several authentics and clones that were well received by many bottom feeders. Apart from kit atties, we have the Hadaly, the O Atty, the Shift, the NaRda, in addition to those that have been modded and proved to be great performers.

What is the best setup of 2016 in your opinion, and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What is the best setup of 2016 in your opinion, and why?
The trouble with a question like that is that what's best for me may not be what's best for you, and what's best for you may not be best for the next guy. Much depends on someone's vaping style and budget.

That said, my all-time favorite stuff predates 2016. Mod: Pinch, followed closely by the CC. Atty: O-16, followed closely by the Nuppin. Soft bottles are a must to me, and I'm perfectly satisfied with the original Italian ones. I've been vaping this gear for long enough that I'm confident I can be happy vaping it for the rest of my life and have stopped chasing new stuff.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I am relatively new to squonking & doing rebuilding, mechanicals. Let that add a few grains of salt to my two cents.

In my humble opinion I think for a mod I would be keen to suggest the CopperVape for either newbies or veteran vapers. It is well built, simple, ergonomic.

If you want to do a lot of heavy power vaping the mod I might point to would be a Kanger Dripbox 160. This one allows use of two batteries, which facilitates more of the power vaping. It is also regulated and that helps avoid a lot of concern regarding safety, not that you can totally drop your guard but it does help provide some ease of mind.

I might suggest an affordable Reo Grand clone as a backup mod. Again, simple plays a part in value for this unit. They are also fairly well built, not quite as ergonomic but they'll do the job.

I got hung up on Velocity V2 (mini?) clones as a good introductory RDA. Found them all around a moderate, all purpose type of unit. They are easy to build on, nearly super intuitive. Not any real issues using these and I would offer them as a suggestion for newbies and vet vapers alike.

Then, along came a Goon that found out it was a Goonie in a matter of a minute. Over all I like the Goon despite just a smidgen of user difficulty in building. This adversity I think will soon pass though as the user gets accustomed to the Goon's way of building, it is merely different for the user in question. Like the air flow control options on the Goon, which help remind me of a Velocity air flow control.

Barring the two above, I have a Narda in route to try and have been enjoying the CopperVape stock atty. The CopperVape stock, I might change out the grub screws sometime. These are a pain to deal with as stock parts, aside from that building on it is straight forward and easy enough.

There's my peek through the slats, not sure if it's an elephant or serpent, possibly a rope. :)

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Rossum ..I fully agree that it's relative to one's preference, and mine are not that far from yours..actually they're the same as yours :) I prefer the Pinch and Nuppin..and most of the setups I like predate 2016 (T Mod, the Cyclone, the RM 2 and the Chalice), but I still think the Copper Vape is wonderful and I find the small Dripbox to be very convenient for going out and about.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My main squonking atty has been a zenith v2.5 clone that's set up for bf, works awesome for both flavor and cloud . Lately have also been using a hobo v3 clone that's been pretty good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I enjoy long battery life, so I don't squonk. I gave them a try with a couple of devices when they first came out.
What's great about vaping is, everything is personal preference.

I really don't have a favorite, everything I have vapes fine, it's all good.

I second this. There's no "child" I love more, I love them all equally. lol

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I enjoy long battery life, so I don't squonk. I gave them a try with a couple of devices when they first came out.
What's great about vaping is, everything is personal preference.

I second this. There's no "child" I love more, I love them all equally. lol

Also tried squonking more than once, just not for me I guess. I still have 2 mods left, a tmod customs and a lost vape Therion BF with a Hadaly on top. The Hadaly is a nice Rda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, I was going to put it in the classified thread. Have you seen pics of mine? It's the NRA blue micro.

No I haven't, but would like to. Do you have a link to the photos? Thanks

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dude, @HvyMtl keeps all his gear in tip top shape and always clean. Never a ding or scratch on any of his shit. The perfect guy to do a trade with if you ask me..

Thanks, I try.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Found a pic on my phone.
8849970a1c02fc895bb5ab35ba52af45.jpg

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been in the market for a squonk box for quite some time, after a lot of looking and debating I ended up with a kanger 160 and an authentic velocity with the bottom feeder pin.

Why? Well my vaping style is mostly 80 watts plus and I vape quite a bit so a single battery turned me off real quick. The Tmods are just too damn much and I like my regulated. The RDA that came with the kanger was shit in my opinion but the velocity made this a perfect mod for me. And for 40 bucks you can't beat it.

All the wood mods are beautiful and I would love to have one but again they are just too damn much and most are either single battery or mechs.

Merry Christmas:) and have a safe new year everyone!!!

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I can only agree with Tamer that "We've seen an influx of mass produced mods and atties in various price ranges and capabilities."

I'd love to own a Pinch. In the meantime I have to nominate the Coppervape as the squonker "Mod of the Year".

It is the many new bottom feed attys, however, that has made 2016 a great year for squonkering.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All day, every day mods:

81a74574b6590556054fa55fd590e7ae.jpg

Both with origen little clones.

CCII and tmod dually. Equal first.

71483e529149251edec3dfb22f308ba1.jpg

My sometimes mods. Which all need contacts sanded etc ATM, and not in a rush for any of them.

This tmod dually was a retrofit v1 with v2 bridged contacts installed. Love it. But the button is less smooth than the purpose built v2. Usually in daily rotation. Will return once one of the other two need cleaning.

Lil' pinch. Nice on a fresh battery, briefly. And no gradual warning that contacts are getting dirty. Fine one minute, mext minute pulling it to pieces outside the football stadium trying to get it firing.

VR wood mod 26650. Nice. Strong magnets. Every time I cjange batteries I accidentally put the solid silver contact a fraction of a mm out of whack and spend half an hour adjusting.

60089d8f59b793bb3ed83f1c738a3587.jpg

Also have. Vapergeddon gear. But parallel batteries rock my world.

Expecting a nutpunch in march :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah...the dual parallels are fantastic. I have a TMod dually and two CAM-Ms. Been using them almost exclusively for a few weeks now, together with the pinch of course. The Pinch hits harder than any other mod I have. But like Dogman said, it eats through your battery faster than other similar mods. So you need to have at least one spare battery with you at all times.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been in the market for a squonk box for quite some time, after a lot of looking and debating I ended up with a kanger 160 and an authentic velocity with the bottom feeder pin.

Why? Well my vaping style is mostly 80 watts plus and I vape quite a bit so a single battery turned me off real quick. The Tmods are just too damn much and I like my regulated. The RDA that came with the kanger was shit in my opinion but the velocity made this a perfect mod for me. And for 40 bucks you can't beat it.

All the wood mods are beautiful and I would love to have one but again they are just too damn much and most are either single battery or mechs.

Merry Christmas:) and have a safe new year everyone!!!
Get the wood mods while you still can. The FDA crap means that a slightly different colour needs a new product application. So USA made wood mods days are numbered.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah...the dual parallels are fantastic. I have a TMod dually and two CAM-Ms. Been using them almost exclusively for a few weeks now, together with the pinch of course. The Pinch hits harder than any other mod I have. But like Dogman said, it eats through your battery faster than other similar mods. So you need to have at least one spare battery with you at all times.

Indeed. Battery life makes real life so much easier.. not having to always have your device plugged in to keep it charged constantly.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
oh, and medium-soft bottles for me

these BFX sunbox jobs are so soft that i need to watch myself squonk, or i can't tell if the bottle is being pressed in since there is zero resistance

the SS ones are good, and the 10ml/12ml needle tips

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Read a few pages of fishface. Looks like LBC mods are starting to cark it.

Mechs :confetti:

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
he has another CAM M dually planned for about $150. So most likely I'll be jumping on that one. The Trapezoid seems interesting with a replaceable lipo battery and a DNA 75, but I am not willing to invest in a regulated squonker right now. I have another spot coming up in a few months on Pete's list, and I haven't made up my mind yet as to getting another pinch or a nutter.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Lil' pinch. Nice on a fresh battery, briefly. And no gradual warning that contacts are getting dirty. Fine one minute, next minute pulling it to pieces outside the football stadium trying to get it firing.
Hmm, with a single, centrally 'Z' mounted coil at around 0.7 ohms, I can go all day on a battery. Being a tootle-puffer has its advantages. :)

I do agree with the lack of warning with the contacts, but since they are external, it's no big thing. Grab a business card or pretty much any piece of paper, insert it between the contacts, close them on it, and slide the card back and forth a bit. This has worked every time for me, and after a while, I took to doing this every few days whether it seems to need it or not, 'cause it can be done in 15 seconds, and that pretty much eliminates the surprise no-fire events.

My most used Pinch, an oil/wax finished walnut one from the beta batch, has been in daily service since July of 2015 and I think I've done a full tear-down PM on it three times. The second green one has been my bedside and AM mod for a solid year now and has been torn down for PM once. That makes these the least maintenance intensive mech squonkers I own.

I've pretty much abandoned regulated. Yes, regulated requires almost no maintenance while it's working, but when a board goes Tango Uniform, you're not fixing that mod in the field. I've got a gDNA that I built and ran for a year as my most used mod. Then the DNA40 in it failed. I have spare boards too, but in the end it doesn't provide a sufficiently improved experience for me to motivate me to fix it. In fact, I find a regulated mod is somewhat counter-productive. When the vape quality starts to taper off, it temps me to turn up the power to compensate instead of attending to the build in the atty.

But like I said, what's best for me may not be what's best for the next guy. One of the factors I weigh into "what's best" is whether I'm confident that I can keep that piece of gear running indefinitely (like for the rest of my life!) with a minimum of fuss. Solid silver contacts in a mech go a long way toward delivering that confidence.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do agree with the lack of warning with the contacts, but since they are external, it's no big thing. Grab a business card or pretty much any piece of paper, insert it between the contacts, close them on it, and slide the card back and forth a bit. This has worked every time for me, and after a while, I took to doing this every few days whether it seems to need it or not, 'cause it can be done in 15 seconds, and that pretty much eliminates the surprise no-fire events.

i also have trouble with underside of silver, where it joins the battery, as well as the copper negative

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
i also have trouble with underside of silver, where it joins the battery, as well as the copper negative
Strange. I hit those with some Simichrome once in a blue moon when I do PM and have never had problems with them at all. Since there is no circuit make/break arcing happening there, I'm hard pressed to understand how those spots could become problematical enough to prevent firing, especially in a sudden way.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Was puzzling over this question for awhile, but in light of recent developments, my vote goes for the Tmod Micro with a color matching Vector atty...;)

Just remember what I said about how it is reading on an ohm meter and the 510. I'm sure someone in here that knows a lot more about squonking than me can help ya.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Roger that. Really the only thing it could be is an insulator issue. I'll get it sussed...:)

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok my new to me Tmod Micro is in transit, now who want's to sell a mech dually? Tmod or otherwise. Dogman, I know you have too many...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've been vaping this gear for long enough that I'm confident I can be happy vaping it for the rest of my life and have stopped chasing new stuff.

Kind of finding myself coming into a similar view point. I got a replacement base for a Hastur styled deck today in the post. It's an okay rda.

Kind of drawn to something I mentioned earlier on, you just need posts to hold wire coils, a battery box/tube an you're good to go. For me at least seeming to be true. Like you too, not in a hurry to use regulated mods again, for much the same reasons. Don't want a board frying out and then be caught with nothing.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What do you guys think of a price of $465 shipped for a new Tmod dually/Vector atty combo cerakoted blue to match the Micro (pictured above) that is on the way? That would be by far the most expensive mod I ever purchased, but there aren't many choices out there for a dual mech squonker. Coppervape keeps telling me they have one "coming soon", but who knows when or even if that will happen.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do you guys think of a price of $465 shipped for a new Tmod dually/Vector atty combo cerakoted blue to match the Micro (pictured above) that is on the way? That would be by far the most expensive mod I ever purchased, but there aren't many choices out there for a dual mech squonker. Coppervape keeps telling me they have one "coming soon", but who knows when or even if that will happen.

don't get the cerakote IMO

if buying new, get an inlay instead

CCII and CCV are 2 other options for $450 new

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks. I've been happy with oven cure cerakote on some other items, but the air cure not so much. Don't know which Tmod uses.

Would you say the Custom Classics and Tmods are a toss up, or do you feel one is a superior overall product?

VU Sponsors