Become a Patron!

What's the deal with high wattage vaping?

Im The Doctor

Member For 4 Years
I noticed today on VJ blog that Sigelei is taking pre-orders from vendors for 100w box mods. I've also seen 20, 30, and 50 watt mods coming out recently. I don't use anything that's regulated anymore but when I did, I vaped it at most @ 10 watts. Just wondering what type of build/setup you'd use 100 watts for? Or for that matter, 20 or 30?

Is this being used for sub-ohm builds, some kind of 16 coil .01 ohm stuff? Also, what does the higher wattage do for the flavor of your juice? Do you have to alter what type you make/buy? For example, does it work better for tobacco types but not fruit? Does it have any effect on the nic level that you use - i.e, do you have to raise or lower your nic level to compensate for the higher wattage?

Also, if you have a higher wattage setup I'd love to see it

Thanks!

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
The type of build/setup I'd use at 100 watts, for me is a Dual Coil @ 0.24-0.2ohms.

The pics that I posted = Dual Coil 0.24ohms
Smok Caterpillar @ 0.24ohms *Dual Coil 26ga Kanthal @5 wraps w/ Cotton* 73.5watts/17.5amps.

1526173_1496241900606484_4487652165009651139_n.jpg
10426552_1496241983939809_955690227445030249_n.jpg

Higher wattage for juice, for me makes it warmer. Certain juices are being designed now a days, to produce a better flavor at higher wattage. Not all the time does it do so. 90% of juices breakdown at @150watts. For me to compensate for higher wattage, I use 1-4mg nic. *Taste is Subjective* but using devices that are 50watts + is for Advanced Users!!!

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Think of it like a car. You might not ever go 200 MPH, but some people like to have a car that does it.

Plus its good to have the headroom, - if you have an 80W mod, on a 30W setting its not even breaking a sweat.
A DNA-30 would be working at the absolute upper limit of its performance at that setting.

There are 50W mods and 50W mods, though. The ones that use boost regulators are only going to deliver their maximum
power at very close to the battery voltage (so not much different from a mech, really). A buck regulator, however, would deliver its maximum power at its highest output voltage.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When i bought my dna30 it was mainly for the pass through. Most of my vaping is on the road and being able to plug in while using rocks. Moving on.
When i started, I used my standard build. A dripper at around .5ohm. Works fine, no difference from a mech except consistent power all the time. At .5 and 30watt it puts out around 3.8 volts. I changed up to a 1.2 ohm and at 30 watts I get 5.9 volts.
What does this mean? Damfino. But I get about the same vapor production out of a 1.2 as a .5.

Re:100 watt... people will probably try it once at 100 just to do it. I mean hell, there's easier ways to melt your face.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've always wondered this myself. I never vape at anything above 11w. But obviously there is a reason and demand or they wouldn't be making them. Sub-ohming being the most obvious. Still say it is nothing more than a big dick contest. Who can offer the most power out of a mod without needing a portable reactor strapped to your back. I hear people vaping at 30w on a kayfun built at 1.2Ω. Crazy. I would have to max my Provari out at 6v to get 30w with that resistance. Not gonna happen. I cranked it up to 5v one time on a 1.4Ω build (around 18w) and it tasted burnt as hell to me.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i vape at 18-20w all day everyday with 1.2-1.5 ohm builds.. using something like 100w device you can get a lot more power out of a 0.2 ohm coil than you could a mech i believe, someone can check my math but that is the point of such high wattages

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If we are talking mech mods (unregulated, sub ohm) my all day vape comes out to around 90-100 watts. On a DNA 30 with a kayfun, it's usually right at 20 watts. So I can see the appeal for people who do low sub ohm builds but want regulation and consistency in their setup.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
It depends on the Regulator. The way the Chinese mods are going, it seems like they are trying for higher and higher currents at lower voltages. So, this would appeal to people who like really low sub ohms pretty much exclusively. However, (and this is the way I am going), you could go in the opposite direction, i.e. increase the voltage and keep the current high, so you could get 100W with a 0.5 to 0.8 ohm build. This you could do with a 8-9V output voltage, provided the current was nice and high, around 20A or so.

1truk

Member For 4 Years
For some, High Wattage and Low resistance equals amazing Flavor and can produce TONS more vapor. Not to say you can't get a satisfactory amount of both going the other direction, however, as with everything else with Vaping, we all seem to want to try the newest way of doing things. Dripping is not new, but dripping with super low res and super high watts is and in my opinion really started the cloud chasing trend. That being said, PLEASE be smart about it if you go that route. It's easy to start with a cheap unregulated mod with an inferior battery running too low a res and put yourself at risk. Personally, I'm too old to take those types of chances. At least make sure you have a trusted battery with the proper Current Ratings if you plan to go unregulated. Not trying to rant or pass judgement in ANY way.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Not to leave the ladies out of this.

But this seems to be in the category of a "Guy Thing" as we are better known for this kind of behaviour.

Basically it seems to boil down to this simple age old pissing contest.

MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS........ASSHOLE!

Sadly I am in the same boat as the rest of the male species.

I have never gone beyond 15 watts on my DNA 20 mods and yet I have a 30 watt mod on the way.

And I am looking at the 50 watt mods kinda funny:rolleyes:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For me, high wattage regulated mods are all about safety. Those pushing the limits with Mechs are taking big chances, IMHO.

With a proper regulated mod which has built-in safety features, there is really nothing to fear at high wattages.

I totally agree with that statement.

I had thought of something similar but the thought escaped me when I wrote my response.

Quite frankly, I don't totally trust myself with a mech and I do indeed love the protection you get with a regulated mod.

Thanks for bringing that up!

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I totally agree with that statement.

I had thought of something similar but the thought escaped me when I wrote my response.

Quite frankly, I don't totally trust myself with a mech and I do indeed love the protection you get with a regulated mod.

Thanks for bringing that up!

I'll admit mechs can make me a little nervous. First time you have a short and get zapped it makes you a little leery. I just don't go crazy with super low ohms and only use quality batteries. And TBH I only like mechs for the looks. I much prefer the ease and safety of a regulated device.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
uncleRJ must be right. it's gotta be a guy thing, cause i have no freaking idea what you all are talking about. but gotta admit, sounds kind of like a pissing contest. pisser.gif

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know that for me, low sub ohm builds on a mech were what got me to stop smoking cigarettes all together. At the time there weren't high wattage regulated devices that were widely available like they are now, and even though I had cut back tremendously by using clearos and a kayfun, it took something a little "heavier" for me to completely make the jump. I know tons of people that have quit completely with just stick batteries or twists, but I just couldn't do it. But now with all of the awesome regulated stuff becoming more available it's as good a time as ever to be a vaper!

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Also, as a designer/maker of Mods, I like the idea of pushing the limit (electronic wise) of what's possible.

I think you are going to see some interesting things in the future, with 100W, 200W or higher, because at those
power levels other things start to become possible other than just using heating coils.

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
so are we trying to electrocute the juice? that's what it sounds like.
4_zap.gif

And noone will ever need more than 64K of memory, right? Or a bigger than a 12 inch Tee Vee Screen!

All quotes from so-called "industry experts". And, yet, technology marches on. :)

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, as a designer/maker of Mods, I like the idea of pushing the limit (electronic wise) of what's possible.

I think you are going to see some interesting things in the future, with 100W, 200W or higher, because at those
power levels other things start to become possible other than just using heating coils.
Does that mean I can get an a.c. unit for my atty?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
12-25 watts is the norm for me since my preferred range of atomizer resistance is .7ohm-1.25ohm. Always get a laugh when my Provari buddies want to try my toppers on their devices and only get error codes LOL. I've tried explaining concept of Ohms law but always get interrupted on how they have no interest in such things ;)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right around 0.4 ohm is my happy place - on a freshly charged 4.2v battery that's about 44 watts. Therefore, I can see the usefulness of a 50 watt regulated mod, or even 100 watts because everyone except teenage males feel better about themselves when they're not pushing limits...and I've wrecked enough cars/quads/motorcycles/bones/teeth/flesh to not be into that scene any more. Hell, check out my avatar - even when I had a desk job I took care to protect my dome.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
12-25 watts is the norm for me since my preferred range of atomizer resistance is .7ohm-1.25ohm. Always get a laugh when my Provari buddies want to try my toppers on their devices and only get error codes LOL. I've tried explaining concept of Ohms law but always get interrupted on how they have no interest in such things ;)
wordpooper-smiley.gif lalala.gif

I noticed today on VJ blog that Sigelei is taking pre-orders from vendors for 100w box mods. I've also seen 20, 30, and 50 watt mods coming out recently. I don't use anything that's regulated anymore but when I did, I vaped it at most @ 10 watts. Just wondering what type of build/setup you'd use 100 watts for? Or for that matter, 20 or 30?

Is this being used for sub-ohm builds, some kind of 16 coil .01 ohm stuff? Also, what does the higher wattage do for the flavor of your juice? Do you have to alter what type you make/buy? For example, does it work better for tobacco types but not fruit? Does it have any effect on the nic level that you use - i.e, do you have to raise or lower your nic level to compensate for the higher wattage?

Also, if you have a higher wattage setup I'd love to see it

Thanks!
Kamry 180 mod is coming, 180W high watt vaping.

Attachments

• kamry 180 mod .jpg
    kamry 180 mod .jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kamry 180 mod is coming, 180W high watt vaping.
It's pulse width modulated, instant turn off for me. From the specs it only fires down to 0.5 anyways. I love the look of the box but they chose some crappy tech for it.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again, 30watts may seem ridiculously overpowered for vaping, but if you are running a 1.8 ohm Kanger head, that basically means you are pumping around 7V through that. However, if you run a fairly mild sub-ohm build, like a .6ohm build in an RDA, that's only 4.2V.

With that said, a 30W box mod is far from being a crazy, high wattage "competition" cloud machine. As a matter of fact, you will get more power off a mechanical if you are using a .5ohm resistance coil off a fresh battery. If you are going to hit very low sub-ohm numbers, might as well do it on a regulated device with some form of protection built in.

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried the sub ohm thing and to me just taste burnt and I choke, :) I since decided it's just not for me and go for flavor, I built my coils at 1.4 at 12 watts and even drip 1.0 double coil 16 watts but that's my limit on a DNA 30, as of late been happy with the Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC 1.6 12.5 watts. Call me sissy, but I really like the sweet flavors. I can vape and lay off the snacks :). Can't imagine why anyone would need a 100 watts

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried the sub ohm thing and to me just taste burnt and I choke, :) I since decided it's just not for me and go for flavor, I built my coils at 1.4 at 12 watts and even drip 1.0 double coil 16 watts but that's my limit on a DNA 30, as of late been happy with the Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC 1.6 12.5 watts. Call me sissy, but I really like the sweet flavors. I can vape and lay off the snacks :). Can't imagine why anyone would need a 100 watts

resized_blonde_bitch_meme_generator_admit_it_swe.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If everything tasted burnt and you were choking, its more of a wicking problem rather than the resistance of the coil itself.
Sub ohm vaping intensifies flavor and vapor by a huge margin, but it can also intensify burnt cotton taste too ;)

Build it right, and the payoff is amazing. Build like this guy, well, make sure you have a trash bin and an old towel handy LOL

117ws46.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
dual 24g micros @ .4ohms/50w-4.7v with .8mg juice = amazing warm flavour and substantial weather systems being produced by muh lungs.
Looking forward to a 100w wihi box, and a custom made wood mech box that holds three 18650 batts (should be ready in a week from a local woodworker vaper). I love my IPV2, but the way I vape with drippers, it's still quite underpowered.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If everything tasted burnt and you were choking, its more of a wicking problem rather than the resistance of the coil itself.
Sub ohm vaping intensifies flavor and vapor by a huge margin, but it can also intensify burnt cotton taste too ;)
Great argument for trying Japanese cotton! I will use nothing else unless it's in one of my Sat22's

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll admit mechs can make me a little nervous. First time you have a short and get zapped it makes you a little leery. I just don't go crazy with super low ohms and only use quality batteries. And TBH I only like mechs for the looks. I much prefer the ease and safety of a regulated device.
I in fact belong to the "Brotherhood Of The Glowing Tube". Bottom line is this, it matters fuck all what and how the other guy is vaping.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
don't all the juices taste burnt??
BUY MOAR BETTIR JOOSE!
I am currently vaping a locally made "Peanut Butter Cookie" (8mg/100%vg) that really pops when vaped warm/hot. Like, right out of the oven SAVAGE!!!

nilo52

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Lowest I vape is 1.5 Ohms at around 4 to 6 watts. For the devices and juices I use that's enough for me. However , I understand why people are wanting to go higher. It's because that is the edge of the envelope right now. This , in time , will change and something else will become the current rage.
I never want us to become ants , doing the same things as everyone else. "The pursuit of happiness" is hardwired into this country :D

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I will also add that our local cloud comp awards authentic mods and atomisers!

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
BUY MOAR BETTIR JOOSE!
I am currently vaping a locally made "Peanut Butter Cookie" (8mg/100%vg) that really pops when vaped warm/hot. Like, right out of the oven SAVAGE!!!
no I meant at 50 watts doesn't everything taste burnt?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not if you are wicking correctly and introducing a good bit of airflow. I had mentioned in another thread about how wicking efficiency is directly proportional to the liquids ability to be subject to capillary action. For example, the linear fibres of Japanese cotton allow a nice straight path for juice to wick, as opposed to the matted fibre pattern of most cotton. This is especially critical with using a more viscous juice substrate like VG.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If you set up the atty with enough air flow, coil surface area and wicking efficiency for the power it works just fine. I'm vaping at just under 50 watts right now and it's actually a cool vape with good flavor and tons of vapor. My all day vape is a small RDA between 20-30 watts set up for max flavor, but this is my first cloud chasing setup and I'm just starting to play around with it. I still have a lot to learn, but avoiding burnt hits is easy :)

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey...what..really, not cool, why you have to always be a bad girl Kelli! I am really going to start being more selective with my words, there's apparently a few bad girls lurking the forums to pounce on us really manly vapor doods that just choose to not burn our faces off and like sweet flavors. I don't know, I think I am happy not choking my ass off. I doubt it's a wicking issue, I use Japanese cotton, could be my juices, there 50/50?? Maybe I just don't get it :) I claim ignorant, I am obviously not an expert with sub ohm

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great argument for trying Japanese cotton! I will use nothing else unless it's in one of my Sat22's

I use Japanese cotton in my Kayfuns mainly for the fact that I can get a perfect strand at even thickness all around. You can tell you got a perfect wick going when you can pull air bubbles simultaneously from both channels ;)

As for 50W, if you use a .35ohm coil, you are really only running at 4.1V. Wick it correctly & keep it juiced, and all you need is a quick, quarter second mouth to lung draw that will payout far more flavor and vapor than if you took a 5-10 second draw off a cartomizer.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Also remember that what might for some be a "burnt taste" is actually aggressive lung hit. High power and deep sub-ohm vaping is not the happy playground for high nice content juices. Most cloud chasers rarely vape above 6mg. I vape 16 in my Orchids, and 6-8 in my RDAs.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
50w .4 ohm coils.......6 second lung hits......blow cloud into the sky......watch planes crash

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That could be a good point franciscan, I am on 18mg, sometimes 12mg but it definitely goes straight to lungs, I have to have a throat hit, I only been off smokes going on 5 months , it's still really really hard

VU Sponsors