Become a Patron!

What's the deal with high wattage vaping?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Try lower nic and longer draws

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That could be a good point franciscan, I am on 18mg, sometimes 12mg but it definitely goes straight to lungs, I have to have a throat hit, I only been off smokes going on 5 months , it's still really really hard

Wow, yeah, I wouldn't enjoy a low resistance vape at that nic level too ;)

In any event, sounds like you are holding up just fine if you haven't smoked in 5 months. However, if you really are having a hard time with it, try changing up things, like new juices/flavors with different PG/VG ratios. You could also try cut down the nicotine level and increase your PG level so you wont lose the TH.

I started vaping at 24mg nic level over a year ago, but now, I cant vape anything more than 6mg. (2-3mg is probably what I'm really vaping since I dilute all my juices with wizard labs VG)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those wanting to try a RDA and are curious about sub-ohming I would recommend the magma there are others but its nice I make like .5 ohm builds on that one with twisted wire and Its just a great taste with most juices.. its not a cloud blower but it tastes really good without alot of effort and because its juice well is so huge you can vape forever without juicing it I think that sub-ohm'n got a bad rap from some idiots that only do sub-ohm to blow huge clouds you can take nice puffs of the magma.. Now on the other end I just built a IGO-W6 with quad coils and it is a monster I surely have to up my .ohm level I am vaping it at .4 ohms and it is just killing the flavor it has enough air its just the quad coils hahaha I like experimenting at home when I am out I use a Kanger Megatank or Nautilus... amd Japanese cotton at the least some preach other things and I am sure they work fine... For me its Japanese cotton.. :) never hurts to try the magma at a 1.0hm or 1.2 ohm level has the richest flavor you will ever taste besides custom coiling... :) There is another reason many like to sub-ohm the nicotine concentration is higher so if you are usually at 18mg like myself I sub-ohm at 12 and am planning on dropping especially with crazy coils..

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
For those wanting to try a RDA and are curious about sub-ohming I would recommend the magma there are others but its nice
"This is my Magma. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Magma is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Magma, without me, is useless. Without my Magma, I am useless. I must vape my Magma true. I must vape straighter than my enemy who is trying to out-vape me." - Dripper's Creed

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"This is my Magma. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Magma is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Magma, without me, is useless. Without my Magma, I am useless. I must vape my Magma true. I must vape straighter than my enemy who is trying to out-vape me." - Dripper's Creed
man you are hilarious hahahah first post I see today ...haha

After reading all this my set up seems on the mild end of the scale. 2.1 ohm clearo, running 9-12.5 watts depending on the juice I'm using.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
After reading all this my set up seems on the mild end of the scale. 2.1 ohm clearo, running 9-12.5 watts depending on the juice I'm using.
If you like the numbers on your setup, and the vape makes you happy....then you are enthroned with great WIN!

If you like the numbers on your setup, and the vape makes you happy....then you are enthroned with great WIN!
I love my Coolfire 2 and dual coil, pyrex clearo. I've had it for months, no desire to upgrade. I actually found this thread trying to look up if higher wattages will change some flavors. It could just be my palate, but I've found some very well loved juices that just taste like crap to me.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
heat does change the flavour profile of some juices. For example, if I vape Dori Cake by Merkury at lets say.....75w/2ohm I get tons of orange and a good amount of scone. If I kick that up to 100w, I get a wee less orange, but the pastry and cinnamon backnotes really pop. The best part to me is that since I favour bakery type vapes, the added heat of higher powers give me that "just out of the oven" experience.

Garry Getchell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't like a warm vape. I build my single coils at 1.2--1.6. Highest wattage I run is 10 but as a rule 8.0w. As stated, to each their own I guess.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For work I carry the Aspire Atlantis, it needs at least 30 watts minimum.
And on the weekends I drip a Dark Horse at .2 - .3 ohm all day without changing
batteries because of a dual 26650 200 watt Beast Box at about 125 watts.
A full flavor cigarette would be like a super ultra light in comparison. I was a 3 pack a day smoker
and this has killed any and all urges to smoke.
Oh yea, and "mines bigger" :D

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Right now I am currently rocking the Eleaf iStick 20w w/SMOK Dripper RDA Single Coil 28ga 1.5ohms @20watts and I'm loving the flavor! Other days I'm .3-.6ohms Dual Coil 22-26ga @50-85watts *pending* ... Everyone has their personal preference! :cool:

I wouldn't reccomend .2ohms blastin at a 100 watts lol I got a twisted 26 guage 8wrap at .7ohms and blastin at 70 watts and its a very comfortable vape and it chucks

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Properly wicked and made fused claptons can withstand insane power, like 120w. Claptons give cooler vapor with high wattage than micros/macros, so what you end up is massive clouds and with the right airflow flavor still kicks ass.

I can get the same notes of flavor with a macro coil with half, or even a third of the wattage, but the clouds are also reduced. To each their own i suppose.

Milko Medero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I noticed today on VJ blog that Sigelei is taking pre-orders from vendors for 100w box mods. I've also seen 20, 30, and 50 watt mods coming out recently. I don't use anything that's regulated anymore but when I did, I vaped it at most @ 10 watts. Just wondering what type of build/setup you'd use 100 watts for? Or for that matter, 20 or 30?

Is this being used for sub-ohm builds, some kind of 16 coil .01 ohm stuff? Also, what does the higher wattage do for the flavor of your juice? Do you have to alter what type you make/buy? For example, does it work better for tobacco types but not fruit? Does it have any effect on the nic level that you use - i.e, do you have to raise or lower your nic level to compensate for the higher wattage?

Also, if you have a higher wattage setup I'd love to see it

Thanks!
I was going to ask the same ? I cant go pass 30 watts without choking . I'm a rookie .

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was going to ask the same ? I cant go pass 30 watts without choking . I'm a rookie .

What nic level are you using?
What PG ratio?
What kind of device are you running at 30W?
does it have the air flow to keep the coils cool?
what resistance?

My standard vape is dual coils. 24g, 2mm, 8 wrap. .28 Ohms.
Amazing flavor @ 50 watts. which is something like 4.0 volts if I remember right.
Btw with this build, I dont think 10 W would even get warm enough to vape.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Am I the only one who is envisioning Jerry Seinfeld reading this thread title?

I really hope not because it's hilarious

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
for me it was like this:

i had a itaste VV and mini protank 2....i wanted something with more battery life and i figured it would be a good time to up the power and get into RBA's too. So I was looking at 20W mods, then someone turned me on to a DNA30...figured why not..and bought that. I also got into mech mods at this time.

I had a plume veil running great with a 0.5 build, but ran out of batteries for the mechs...no problem, ill throw it on the DNA30...WRONG it couldn't go up to the wattage I liked from a mech mod (32-36W)...

So i started shopping for a 50W mod..and realized I should buy a 100W to be safe....i wanted a sigelei 100+....but i heard that the 150W was around the corner......so i waited for that!

I am loving it! and I am running that plume veil build at 38-40W....cant do that on a mech.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know that for me, low sub ohm builds on a mech were what got me to stop smoking cigarettes all together. At the time there weren't high wattage regulated devices that were widely available like they are now, and even though I had cut back tremendously by using clearos and a kayfun, it took something a little "heavier" for me to completely make the jump. I know tons of people that have quit completely with just stick batteries or twists, but I just couldn't do it. But now with all of the awesome regulated stuff becoming more available it's as good a time as ever to be a vaper!
As soon as I bought my first nicotine steamer, I quit cigs, PERIOD. From one source of nicotine, to another, immediately 'Bout a week and a half, now....don't miss the cigs, in the slightest, wanna get the 'Newport' flavor, in a good base, jest fer decade-old nostalgia..they got too expensive...fav. cig flavor.

I noticed today on VJ blog that Sigelei is taking pre-orders from vendors for 100w box mods. I've also seen 20, 30, and 50 watt mods coming out recently. I don't use anything that's regulated anymore but when I did, I vaped it at most @ 10 watts. Just wondering what type of build/setup you'd use 100 watts for? Or for that matter, 20 or 30?

Is this being used for sub-ohm builds, some kind of 16 coil .01 ohm stuff? Also, what does the higher wattage do for the flavor of your juice? Do you have to alter what type you make/buy? For example, does it work better for tobacco types but not fruit? Does it have any effect on the nic level that you use - i.e, do you have to raise or lower your nic level to compensate for the higher wattage?

Also, if you have a higher wattage setup I'd love to see it

Thanks!

Hi,

I am Ayem from Malaysia. I use El Diablo Clone Box Mod with a dripper(i don't know what brand), 2 LG HE4 30A Batteries, my build is 0.05ohm. love it so much, love the vapor production and the warmness of the vapor. :)

I just ordered an istick 100w and I'm planning on using my Atlantis mega tank what would be the recommended ohm? My friends dad has that mod and I used my tank on it with a 1ohm coil in it and it let me go all the way up to 93.4w and then it wouldn't let me go any higher I hit it and it didn't taste burnt or anything and the flavor tasted great and I'm wondering if a 0.3ohm coil would let me go up to 100w

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I don't see myself using 100W, but neither do I see myself ever vaping at 10W (!)

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just ordered an istick 100w and I'm planning on using my Atlantis mega tank what would be the recommended ohm? My friends dad has that mod and I used my tank on it with a 1ohm coil in it and it let me go all the way up to 93.4w and then it wouldn't let me go any higher I hit it and it didn't taste burnt or anything and the flavor tasted great and I'm wondering if a 0.3ohm coil would let me go up to 100w
0.4-0.7 ohms will do the trick.
http://www.steam-engine.org/modrange.asp

Last edited:

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Properly wicked and made fused claptons can withstand insane power, like 120w. Claptons give cooler vapor with high wattage than micros/macros, so what you end up is massive clouds and with the right airflow flavor still kicks ass.

I can get the same notes of flavor with a macro coil with half, or even a third of the wattage, but the clouds are also reduced. To each their own i suppose.

I vape all sorts of different ways. Even have come full circle and gone back to using gennys on mechs now. When I vape high wattage regulated or series unregulated it is because I am using a high thermal mass coil like a clapton etc. Most commonly I use a dark horse in single coil mode with a very fat clapton in there @ 88W. Flavor indeed kicks ass. Very credible volume of vapor. A different experience versus a more standard build in a dripper, a kayfun, sub ohm tank, or gennny. Some days I want to make weather systems or cloud up the room. Some days I like to relax and toodlepuff.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Same here. Just last month i bought a Zephyr Buddha, Nextgen and a Nectar Micro :D i like all things vaping.

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
Lol, I asked this same question near the same time several places. About May or so I asked the same. I had oh, a dozen or so different types of tanks and rarely went over 8 watts.

I started out with a simple kanger SubOx/Subtank combo, mostly for the 18650 removable battery, but tried the subtank, and it made a bunch of juices I'd bought actually taste good, made me regret a bunch I'd just thrown away.

I certainly don't want clouds, I stealth vape at the office all day. But the smoothness, the creamyness, basically at higher temps the juice vaporizes rather than spits, you just plain NEVER get spatter on your tongue (well, you occasionally do, but it's the same as a GOOD hit on a 2.5ohm). Just smoother, softer hits.

Oh, sure, you can vape straight down with a .25ohm, completely fill your lungs and exhale a big obnoxious cloud. I tend to not like to do that even walking down an empty street. "look at me i'm blowing steam" just isn't my thing.

I lost that first Subox a month after I got it, tried to go back to all the protank 3's I have. Even with a fresh coil, the spitting, leaking etc and lack of smooth vapor just, I just couldn't do it.

I usually vape at 45-55, have occasionally turned up to 100watts, the uwell crown tanks I love handle it flawlessly.

It's the tanks that allow the heat. A good subohm tank is good because it has HUGE wick ports, well designed wick arrangement. Basically tons of air and tons of juice. I can chainvape a high-vg juice in the crown at 80watt all day until it runs low without a burnt hit.

Oh man though, Watch it! If you vape it when it runs dry, you'll cough up a lung after sucking down all the cotton wick's smoke as it burns off in 2 seconds. NOT a pleasant experience. 50watts will turn cotton to char like that fast. (not hard to avoid: don't run dry, you can see through the glass!)

Anyhow, just my 2c worth, hope this explains a bit, and isn't just an opinion piece, I did go of there a bit :)

It depends at what the coils built at but a 100 watts can be anywhere from a cool vape to a very hot vape all depending on the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRenegadeBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I normally vape at 32 with on an ipv4s that goes to 120w but I've started using 50w a bit more but for 100w on my herkles sub ohm tank will not work. My sub ohm tank goes to about 70w as the max so I'd have to say it's for rda's? I'm not sure but I love the ipv4s for 30 and 50w as for the flavor 50 has about the same flavor but definitely bigger clouds but I preffer 32 for my continued vaping but will go to 50 randomly

Masher59

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Once we can hit 1.21 jigawatts (gigawatts) we will have control of both Time and Clouds!

Last edited:

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or, we could just go back in time and never ever ever touch a cigarette... :)

I vape at 100w every day with 24 nicotine lv, how much nicotine to I get out of my fluid vs cranking it down to 50 or 60? Tfv4 smok tank and an istick power source. I refil the large tank 2-3 times per day.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For those wanting to try a RDA and are curious about sub-ohming I would recommend the magma there are others but its nice I make like .5 ohm builds on that one with twisted wire and Its just a great taste with most juices.. its not a cloud blower but it tastes really good without alot of effort and because its juice well is so huge you can vape forever without juicing it I think that sub-ohm'n got a bad rap from some idiots that only do sub-ohm to blow huge clouds you can take nice puffs of the magma.. Now on the other end I just built a IGO-W6 with quad coils and it is a monster I surely have to up my .ohm level I am vaping it at .4 ohms and it is just killing the flavor it has enough air its just the quad coils hahaha I like experimenting at home when I am out I use a Kanger Megatank or Nautilus... amd Japanese cotton at the least some preach other things and I am sure they work fine... For me its Japanese cotton.. :) never hurts to try the magma at a 1.0hm or 1.2 ohm level has the richest flavor you will ever taste besides custom coiling... :) There is another reason many like to sub-ohm the nicotine concentration is higher so if you are usually at 18mg like myself I sub-ohm at 12 and am planning on dropping especially with crazy coils..
fucking hate that atty....it seems to be an atty that either inspires devotion or rejection alot of people love it.

iki

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not to leave the ladies out of this.

But this seems to be in the category of a "Guy Thing" as we are better known for this kind of behaviour.

Basically it seems to boil down to this simple age old pissing contest.

MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS........ASSHOLE!

Sadly I am in the same boat as the rest of the male species.

I have never gone beyond 15 watts on my DNA 20 mods and yet I have a 30 watt mod on the way.

And I am looking at the 50 watt mods kinda funny:rolleyes:

15 watts???? what? i vape at 70 watts and still i dont blow clouds!

iki

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The type of build/setup I'd use at 100 watts, for me is a Dual Coil @ 0.24-0.2ohms.

The pics that I posted = Dual Coil 0.24ohms
Smok Caterpillar @ 0.24ohms *Dual Coil 26ga Kanthal @5 wraps w/ Cotton* 73.5watts/17.5amps.

1526173_1496241900606484_4487652165009651139_n.jpg
10426552_1496241983939809_955690227445030249_n.jpg

Higher wattage for juice, for me makes it warmer. Certain juices are being designed now a days, to produce a better flavor at higher wattage. Not all the time does it do so. 90% of juices breakdown at @150watts. For me to compensate for higher wattage, I use 1-4mg nic. *Taste is Subjective* but using devices that are 50watts + is for Advanced Users!!!

i actually spend more money with vaping then when i had to buy cigarettes..

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
this is an old thread.
ive been vaping 80-100w since before regulated mods even hit 20 watts on the old tube mods.... not bragging, just saying there are a lot of people that need this kind of power to get a proper vape.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ive been sticking mostly to mechs as of late i doubt a tube can pound out more than 90 or 95 watts but in series yeah probably around a buck 60...
i havent vaped in the low ranges since the freakin spinners and ego 1 era, lol.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
15 watts???? what? i vape at 70 watts and still i dont blow clouds!

Still don't vape anywhere near the capacity on my mods..

But the newer tanks (Merlin) I tend to push at about 30 watts.

Don't give a fig about clouds, I just want my flavor and nic!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still don't vape anywhere near the capacity on my mods..

But the newer tanks (Merlin) I tend to push at about 30 watts.

Don't give a fig about clouds, I just want my flavor and nic!
Maybe thats what you need just build this big scary thing and hit it at about 110w

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As you know we are divided into 2 groups, the DLs and the MTLs.
MTLs use low wattage high ohm low airflow.
DLs use high wattage low ohm high airflow.
MTLs can't understand why they would ever use high wattage because their attys are not built for it and they are not used to it.

In general the bigger (higher mass) the coil, the more wattage it needs for optimal performance, just like a heavy car needs a big powerful engine to start moving.

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
Lol this is an old post. I figured it out. Now all my mods do 150-200watts, I tend to vape at about 55 watts too :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So that's really for, what? Sport-vaping?
That is exactly what it is. Sport and competitive vaping. Learn on a regulated mod, and leave mechs alone until you know what you are doing. Even then, I figure it will take a month of prep time before switching from reg to mech.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That could be a good point franciscan, I am on 18mg, sometimes 12mg but it definitely goes straight to lungs, I have to have a throat hit, I only been off smokes going on 5 months , it's still really really hard
use a higher pg/vg ratio juice.. say. 50/50. For anyone quitting tobacco products, I recommend either an e-cig style or atty with adjustable airflow you can turn down to allow mouth to lung pulls. It simulates smoking better.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This thread is kinda odd and not just the necro part ... it has over 175K views yet less than 100 posts in it. :huh:

awoodby

Member For 4 Years
zombie post won't die!
gbalkam: switch from regulated to mech? Mechanical? As in, a switch and a battery? I started that way at low voltage, have zero plans to move back to the whims of whatever power's in a battery, why would I do that? Aside from some looking cool, I'd Much rather have a consistent wattage, or even temperature with TC.

I guess I should start another thread "why would anyone go TO mech from regulated?" :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
zombie post won't die!
gbalkam: switch from regulated to mech? Mechanical? As in, a switch and a battery? I started that way at low voltage, have zero plans to move back to the whims of whatever power's in a battery, why would I do that? Aside from some looking cool, I'd Much rather have a consistent wattage, or even temperature with TC.

I guess I should start another thread "why would anyone go TO mech from regulated?" :)

First, I think there is a little confusion, I posted, mentioning mech(ancial) mods in reply to this
"jeremy said:

So that's really for, what? Sport-vaping?"

I replied about cloud chasing is sport or competitive vaping. The rest was basic advice on cloud chasing. Start on regulated (temp, V, C) control, switch to mechanical when you can build coils and know about batteries etc etc etc. Hence a month prep or study time. Some might not need that much, but I probably do.
Now as to why go to a mech mod.. it is simple.. Mechs actually do create more fog. Which is why people use them in competitions. That's about all I care to say on mechanical mods, since I don't use them, and would rather defer any other answers to someone much more familiar with them than I am. They can be very dangerous if not properly used. (Hence the month I want to study up on wires, batteries, ohms laws, voltage discharge, amps etc etc)
A new thread on why switch to mechs might be a good idea. And finally, yeah, old thread, but still current, people are still looking. Better to have up to date information eh?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have been vaping on my Boreas RTA's at 66.6 watts for some time now.
Perfect for 316l SS 22ga dual coils with 9 wraps each.
Ends up around 0.17ohms.

My two Limitless LMC mods have 3 settings so I usually go with

M1) 64 watts
M2) 66.5 watts
M3) 70 watts

VU Sponsors