Become a Patron!

What's The Difference?

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Running a single coil at 0.5 ohms or two 1 ohm coils in parallel, is there a difference in battery drain?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Running a single coil at 0.5 ohms or two 1 ohm coils in parallel, is there a difference in battery drain?
On a regulated mod you will have more battery drain because you will need to turn up the wattage to heat more metal, or have a significantly cooler vape. I'm not sure how it would work on a mech, but from the little I know I'm pretty sure you wouldn't drain the batteries any extra in a direct way. The extra drain would be from needing to take longer pulls because its not getting nearly as hot as the single coil with the same resistance is.

I'm really not sure about the mech explanation. Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm pretty sure that the volume of the metal would be the same in both configurations if the same type of metal is used in both. Correct me if I'm wrong. The difference would be that more metal contacts the wick in the dual coil, dual wick configuration.

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would be more metal/mass in dual coils. For instance, a single coil of five wraps to get 0.5 Ohms would be two coils of 10 wraps to get 0.5 Ohms. You have 15 wraps of more wire or mass. You have more surface in contact with the wick so you will get more vapor. But, it takes more power to run it. It can be more easily seen if you use steam-engine.org.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes! In order to keep it simple, without the scientific explanations, the dual coil configuration will drain more power.

VU Sponsors