Become a Patron!

What's the last Movie you saw?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Haven't been to a theater since 1997 (Men In Black)
Cut out cable and satellite in 2005.
Built our own home theater with the money we've saved. We dedicated one blacked out room to the theater with a large screen TV, surround sound and an Nvidia Shield with Kodi on it, all tied to our home network and viewed from a split rocker recliner.
Screw theaters.
Nowadays you can just grab a silent laptop, use a HDMI cable to plug that into a processor/preamp (e.g. the Emotiva MC-700), then another HDMI cable to plug that into the large screen TV, and run Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) with MadVR renderer... both are freeware and you can allow audio bitstreaming over HDMI through the settings of MPC-HC. Thing is, you'll get much, MUCH better surround sound quality with this kind of setup, and, you can still use Kodi for a front-end if that's what you want, as Kodi can be set up to use MPC-HC for playback. I use a trusty big pair of passive floorstanding HiFi speakers for my fronts (with a trusty Emotiva XPA-2 power amp), and a pair of powered studio monitors (Emotiva Pro Airmotiv... their neutral sound signature matches that of my fronts really well) for my side channel speakers. In a "one man" theater room you don't actually even require a center channel speaker, as choosing a quality pair of front speakers gives the best results even for surround sound IMO, and especially after you spent enough time reading up on the fascinating subjects of acoustics and DIY room acoustic treatments. If you get it right, it sounds infinitesimally better than your average commercial cinema does, also because there exists such a thing as "the main listening position" in acoustics, and, large rooms typically used in commercial cinema are just a louzy tradeoff between acoustic performance and the capability to fit a large audience in there... these large venues still echo too much even after all the huge money that went into their sound absorbing material (panels and bass traps).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes! I'm a huge fan of this movie. Literally seen a hundred times and never gets old.

Last movie I watched was... let me think... Uh... Thor Ragnarok.

I sure was glad to finally have an explanation about Loki seeming to be Odin, in the last scene of the previous Thor movie. That shit kept me awake many a night! :giggle:

Andria

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I sure was glad to finally have an explanation about Loki seeming to be Odin, in the last scene of the previous Thor movie. That shit kept me awake many a night! :giggle:

Andria
Had me wondering as well and was glad they arrested that early on in the movie. Curious about what the other ship was at the end of the movie... has to be Thanos.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had me wondering as well and was glad they arrested that early on in the movie. Curious about what the other ship was at the end of the movie... has to be Thanos.

Yeah we just saw that one too, the 2nd Guardians. When my son found out that I had really enjoyed the first Captain, and I'm a huge fan of both Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter when that was on (Peggy Carter is my hero!!!), he set about getting me all caught up with the Marvel world. We love pointing out old Stan since he shows up in every movie. :D Don't plan to catch Black Panther though, as we figure it will be loaded with that rap and hiphop bullshit, and everyone in this house hates that shit to the bottom of our souls.

I was farkin amazed at how they made old Kurt look like he did back in the day -- my son told me how they did that, and it completely amazes me. I've loved Kurt since he was The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, I think I was 4 or 5 or something like that. :D All the way thru all his John Carpenter films, and Stargate, and probably pretty close to everything else.

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
At a movie theater: "The Mountain Between Us" with Idris Elba and Kate Winslet; beautiful scenery, but a terrifying story, but everything Kate Winslet is in is good

At home: "The New World" with Colin Farrell and Q'orianka Kilcher, on DVD, one of my favorite movies ever

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah we just saw that one too, the 2nd Guardians. When my son found out that I had really enjoyed the first Captain, and I'm a huge fan of both Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter when that was on (Peggy Carter is my hero!!!), he set about getting me all caught up with the Marvel world. We love pointing out old Stan since he shows up in every movie. :D Don't plan to catch Black Panther though, as we figure it will be loaded with that rap and hiphop bullshit, and everyone in this house hates that shit to the bottom of our souls.

I was farkin amazed at how they made old Kurt look like he did back in the day -- my son told me how they did that, and it completely amazes me. I've loved Kurt since he was The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, I think I was 4 or 5 or something like that. :D All the way thru all his John Carpenter films, and Stargate, and probably pretty close to everything else.

Andria
Oh wow, the wife and I would fit right in your household! We're skipping Black Panther as well. Don't know much about the comic character and agree about the music. Wifey and I loves our rock and roll. We shit when we first saw trailers for Ragnarok and heard Immigrant Song! We both said " fuck yeah" and started head banging like Beavis and Butthead.

Wifey is still catching me up on Marvel. I had not watched anything until Thor came out and that's because I dig Norse/Germanic mythologies. But glad she turned me on to it because it lead to me watching the Avengers and Guardians movies which I absolutely love. Can't wait for the next Avengers... 4 more weeks.

I'd like to know how they did that with Kurt in the second Guardians movie. Shit, he's been around forever! I remember my mom taking me to the theater to see Escape From New York. The Thing as well... love that movie! Kurt has always done an awesome job in those badass roles. And being with Goldie all these doesn't hurt either. ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh wow, the wife and I would fit right in your household! We're skipping Black Panther as well. Don't know much about the comic character and agree about the music. Wifey and I loves our rock and roll. We shit when we first saw trailers for Ragnarok and heard Immigrant Song! We both said " fuck yeah" and started head banging like Beavis and Butthead.

Wifey is still catching me up on Marvel. I had not watched anything until Thor came out and that's because I dig Norse/Germanic mythologies. But glad she turned me on to it because it lead to me watching the Avengers and Guardians movies which I absolutely love. Can't wait for the next Avengers... 4 more weeks.

I'd like to know how they did that with Kurt in the second Guardians movie. Shit, he's been around forever! I remember my mom taking me to the theater to see Escape From New York. The Thing as well... love that movie! Kurt has always done an awesome job in those badass roles. And being with Goldie all these doesn't hurt either. ;)

ROFL, when I heard that Immigrant Song, can you guess what film flashed into my mind? Yeah... one of the Shreks, dunno which, but when that evil queen is attacking...? :teehee:

That thing with de-ageing Kurt, is some kind of combo of re-touching, CGI, and animation -- it's like retouching a photo or negative, but of thousands of images in the film reel. I've done re-touching work, with Photoshop, doing "Glamour Shot" stuff for ladies who want to look like they used to and like to think they still do -- it's a real art, to erase lines and blemishes and bulges yet leave features completely intact; it completely boggles my mind, the thought of doing it as a form of animation. GAHH!!

You must be a lot younger than I am... I was married to my first husband when Escape from New York and The Thing came out -- the first is STILL one of my all-time faves, and the 2nd, STILL one of the scariest films I've EVER seen; first Poltergeist and first Elm St were both pretty creepy, but Carpenter's remake of The Thing tops both of 'em by a MILE or ten. But the music from Escape from New York is one of the best film scores EVER. Escape from LA was a bit disappointing, but how could it hope to be as good as the first?

Andria

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ROFL, when I heard that Immigrant Song, can you guess what film flashed into my mind? Yeah... one of the Shreks, dunno which, but when that evil queen is attacking...? :teehee:

That thing with de-ageing Kurt, is some kind of combo of re-touching, CGI, and animation -- it's like retouching a photo or negative, but of thousands of images in the film reel. I've done re-touching work, with Photoshop, doing "Glamour Shot" stuff for ladies who want to look like they used to and like to think they still do -- it's a real art, to erase lines and blemishes and bulges yet leave features completely intact; it completely boggles my mind, the thought of doing it as a form of animation. GAHH!!

You must be a lot younger than I am... I was married to my first husband when Escape from New York and The Thing came out -- the first is STILL one of my all-time faves, and the 2nd, STILL one of the scariest films I've EVER seen; first Poltergeist and first Elm St were both pretty creepy, but Carpenter's remake of The Thing tops both of 'em by a MILE or ten. But the music from Escape from New York is one of the best film scores EVER. Escape from LA was a bit disappointing, but how could it hope to be as good as the first?

Andria
I think I am a bit younger ( mid forties ) but my aches and pains are what got me accepted into the old pharts club... well, at least part time anyway. But hey, it's a foot in the door right? :p

Yep I'm a big fan of Carpenter as well and good call on the score from Escape from New York! Carpenter's The Thing IMHO is still ahead of its time and a classic. The latest remake (2013?) was pure garbage. Wifey and I went to the theatre to see it and didn't care for it... big disappointment. I liked Poltergeist and Nightmare as well, very creepy movies in their time.

Oh my, I could talk horror movies all day! By far my favorite genre in movies. I grew up watching horror movies as a kid. Mostly Vincent Price movies that were before my time. Vincent Price = LEGEND!!!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think I am a bit younger ( mid forties ) but my aches and pains are what got me accepted into the old pharts club... well, at least part time anyway. But hey, it's a foot in the door right? :p

Yep I'm a big fan of Carpenter as well and good call on the score from Escape from New York! Carpenter's The Thing IMHO is still ahead of its time and a classic. The latest remake (2013?) was pure garbage. Wifey and I went to the theatre to see it and didn't care for it... big disappointment. I liked Poltergeist and Nightmare as well, very creepy movies in their time.

Oh my, I could talk horror movies all day! By far my favorite genre in movies. I grew up watching horror movies as a kid. Mostly Vincent Price movies that were before my time. Vincent Price = LEGEND!!!

I'm not usually much of a fan of horror movies, because in my lifetime, they have devolved into 'crazy man with a blade and lots of gore flying'. I got SUCKED into Elm St strictly by accident -- the ex was watching it after I had declined and took my book into the bedroom; I went into the kitchen, which overlooked the living room, to get something to drink... and one glance at that damn movie sucked me right in, I COULD NOT look away. So I ended up watching all the sequels to it, too -- I particularly like the one with Freddie vs. Jason. :) I've been a huge fan of Robert Englund since he played the "good alien" in the ORIGINAL "V" series. The ex persuaded me to watch Poltergeist because he said it had pretty much no gore at all, just psychological horror, and hey, it's Spielberg... so I watched it, and enjoyed it. The ex also got me to watch some Brian De Palma movies, which are always quite gory, because he was illustrating the clever film technique De Palma uses -- one definitive scene and then cut-cut-cut away; perfect example is the Angie Dickinson elevator scene in Dressed to Kill -- he shows one cut across her palm, and then after that, it's all just screaming, red stuff flying, and many many cutaways which don't actually show anything EXCEPT that red liquid flying and spattering the walls. Really excellent film maker.

The ex was also a big Old Movie fan, and he showed me the ORIGINAL The Thing, made in the 50s, and it's not bad; the same psychological horror is there, but really diluted by the cheesy effects. Carpenter had a real gift for inciting and then maintaining a film's tension, and THAT is really what made his Thing so scary, and New York so can't-turn-away-able. I think he totally sold out when he made LA, but hey, Kurt Russell, I'd watch anything of his. :D And in fact, I pretty much HAVE, I've watched a hell of a lot of Kurt's movies, including the one real turkey I can think of: Big Trouble in Little China. That was the last movie the ex and I ever went to see, before we separated and divorced. I didn't like his hardass character in Stargate, but it worked well with Spader's "space cadet" character, back when Spader was still young and pretty -- he was already a great actor, but all I really noticed was the young and pretty. :D

I didn't like his character in one of the films he made with Goldie, either; the one where she's a a rich girl with amnesia? Instead of coming back to him because she luuuuuuuuuuuuvs him, she should have come back to him with a fucking shotgun, or at the very least, a lawsuit. What utter tripe, even if it WAS funny.

For horror movie icons... as mentioned, I love Robert Englund... and Elvira. She's living proof that even plain flat-chested girls can dress up into something gorgeously evil. And funny. :D

Since we're discussing movies we've loved... ever see "At Close Range", with Walken and Penn? Absolutely breath-taking movie, the acting gave me chills! It's very dark, but both of them turned in a tour-de-force performance. Keifer Sutherland's in it too, but he wasn't much, at the time; hadn't yet evolved into gravel-throated badass. :D

Andria

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not usually much of a fan of horror movies, because in my lifetime, they have devolved into 'crazy man with a blade and lots of gore flying'. I got SUCKED into Elm St strictly by accident -- the ex was watching it after I had declined and took my book into the bedroom; I went into the kitchen, which overlooked the living room, to get something to drink... and one glance at that damn movie sucked me right in, I COULD NOT look away. So I ended up watching all the sequels to it, too -- I particularly like the one with Freddie vs. Jason. :) I've been a huge fan of Robert Englund since he played the "good alien" in the ORIGINAL "V" series. The ex persuaded me to watch Poltergeist because he said it had pretty much no gore at all, just psychological horror, and hey, it's Spielberg... so I watched it, and enjoyed it. The ex also got me to watch some Brian De Palma movies, which are always quite gory, because he was illustrating the clever film technique De Palma uses -- one definitive scene and then cut-cut-cut away; perfect example is the Angie Dickinson elevator scene in Dressed to Kill -- he shows one cut across her palm, and then after that, it's all just screaming, red stuff flying, and many many cutaways which don't actually show anything EXCEPT that red liquid flying and spattering the walls. Really excellent film maker.

The ex was also a big Old Movie fan, and he showed me the ORIGINAL The Thing, made in the 50s, and it's not bad; the same psychological horror is there, but really diluted by the cheesy effects. Carpenter had a real gift for inciting and then maintaining a film's tension, and THAT is really what made his Thing so scary, and New York so can't-turn-away-able. I think he totally sold out when he made LA, but hey, Kurt Russell, I'd watch anything of his. :D And in fact, I pretty much HAVE, I've watched a hell of a lot of Kurt's movies, including the one real turkey I can think of: Big Trouble in Little China. That was the last movie the ex and I ever went to see, before we separated and divorced. I didn't like his hardass character in Stargate, but it worked well with Spader's "space cadet" character, back when Spader was still young and pretty -- he was already a great actor, but all I really noticed was the young and pretty. :D

I didn't like his character in one of the films he made with Goldie, either; the one where she's a a rich girl with amnesia? Instead of coming back to him because she luuuuuuuuuuuuvs him, she should have come back to him with a fucking shotgun, or at the very least, a lawsuit. What utter tripe, even if it WAS funny.

For horror movie icons... as mentioned, I love Robert Englund... and Elvira. She's living proof that even plain flat-chested girls can dress up into something gorgeously evil. And funny. :D

Since we're discussing movies we've loved... ever see "At Close Range", with Walken and Penn? Absolutely breath-taking movie, the acting gave me chills! It's very dark, but both of them turned in a tour-de-force performance. Keifer Sutherland's in it too, but he wasn't much, at the time; hadn't yet evolved into gravel-throated badass. :D

Andria
Wow, that's alot to cover. I'll do my best lol.

Elvira is awesome! She still looks great after all these years.

Between Friday the 13th and Halloween the slasher films bored me to tears and got sick of them really quick. I even got sick of the A Nightmare on Elm St series after the second movie. I've always preferred zombie films when it comes to gore, such as Romero's originals Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. Seen those countless times as well and have them on DVD.

I had forgotten all about V. That's going back a few years and didn't remember Englund was in that series. Big fan of Englund too and he cracked me up playing a twisted hillbilly in 1001 Maniacs. That movie is way the hell out there with its gore and humor.

I believe Overboard is the movie Kurt and Goldie starred together in. I thought it was cute but far from being either of their best movies. Must admit I love Big Trouble in Little China. Seen that movie countless times and never gets old for me.

Yep, I've seen At Close Range but many years ago. I'm a big Walken fan too. Wife and I just watched The Dead Zone recently where he starred with Martin Sheen and Tom Skerritt. While I'm on the subject... love Steven King! :D

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
About to Watch Jumaji Welcome To The Jungle so that will be the last in a couple of hours...............

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought jumanji was entertaining.. comical and filled with action..
I perfered den of theives for a more entertaining film

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Andria
Andria,
At Close Range was based off the true events of the Mob stealing farm equipment In PA, OH, and IN. back in the day.
I loaded a used John Deere on a flatbed last year in PA and brought it back to Chicago.
I got stopped twice before I got out of PA. and once in Ohio so the paperwork can be checked.
The Ohio Trooper told me this kind of theft is still going on more than we know.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wait until you see Kevin Harts characters weakness. Thinking about it has me LOLing right now................... :giggle:
Ha ha, gonna find out real soon. We picked up the DVD Tuesday or Wednesday and now I'm starting to wonder while the hell we've waited until now. o_O

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Off this week so went to watch Tomb Raider at one of the few theaters with rrcliber type seating using movie pass..

Movie was okay.. so many movie errors ..

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thought Jumanji was pretty good. The acting was great and they were all hilarious which for me made the movie. The idea of them being in a video game was, meh okay. The acting made the movie.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria,
At Close Range was based off the true events of the Mob stealing farm equipment In PA, OH, and IN. back in the day.
I loaded a used John Deere on a flatbed last year in PA and brought it back to Chicago.
I got stopped twice before I got out of PA. and once in Ohio so the paperwork can be checked.
The Ohio Trooper told me this kind of theft is still going on more than we know.

That kinda faintly rings a bell; you're right, it was over 30 yrs ago, but I think I may have heard somethng about that background true-life situation. I haven't wanted to watch it again, just because it IS so dark, but I clearly recall, in the darkened theater way back in the mid-80s, getting goose bumps all over my body at the end, when Penn is on the stand -- up till then, i knew him only as the stoner falling out of the van in Ridgemont High, but he is beyond gifted, as an actor. Just amazing. Saw him recently when he popped up in the Stiller 'Walter Mitty'.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, that's alot to cover. I'll do my best lol.

Elvira is awesome! She still looks great after all these years.

Between Friday the 13th and Halloween the slasher films bored me to tears and got sick of them really quick. I even got sick of the A Nightmare on Elm St series after the second movie. I've always preferred zombie films when it comes to gore, such as Romero's originals Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. Seen those countless times as well and have them on DVD.

I had forgotten all about V. That's going back a few years and didn't remember Englund was in that series. Big fan of Englund too and he cracked me up playing a twisted hillbilly in 1001 Maniacs. That movie is way the hell out there with its gore and humor.

I believe Overboard is the movie Kurt and Goldie starred together in. I thought it was cute but far from being either of their best movies. Must admit I love Big Trouble in Little China. Seen that movie countless times and never gets old for me.

Yep, I've seen At Close Range but many years ago. I'm a big Walken fan too. Wife and I just watched The Dead Zone recently where he starred with Martin Sheen and Tom Skerritt. While I'm on the subject... love Steven King! :D

Ok, one at a time -- Yes, Elvira, Jane Something-or-other, is absolutely terrific -- she does look older, but don't we all -- and is STILL fucking hilarious.

Can't stand zombie movies, just too gross, but I have found a few "zombie lit" reads pretty entertaining -- but hey, I can read a thorough description of an autopsy, but watch it? Not on your fucking life -- which is why I decided against going to med school. :D

I didn't hate Little China; I found it fairly entertaining, but it sure didn't do anything for his career -- but he was already at the point of having made his rep and his million bucks, so I guess he could do it if he found it entertaining! Yes, it was Overboard, and I saw it on TV again recently, and I got mad all over again. Shotgun or lawsuit, that's what he deserved.

The casting for both Dead Zone and Close Range is interesting. I'm not sure if Walken had done much, before Dead Zone; I'd never heard of him, but I wasn't much of a movie fan in my drugs-and-alcohol years. He established himself firmly into the "eerie affect" zone with that movie, though he was a "good guy". Martin Sheen had pretty much established himself as regular guy, maybe good guy, before playing a guy who held up a baby as a shield -- I thought of that when Hussein was using women and children as a shield. Both are talented actors, no question about it.

Then Walken portrays a young man's (Sean Penn's) Dad, and at first seemed ok, regular guy, but he's Walken, there's always something slightly OFF about him. And then he reveals himself as basically a monster... and the young man, who had previously portrayed a stoned hippy, is revealed as a strong and upright character, who's brave enough to tell the truth even when it hurts. Just a staggering performance on all counts.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thought Jumanji was pretty good. The acting was great and they were all hilarious which for me made the movie. The idea of them being in a video game was, meh okay. The acting made the movie.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it although I think the aspect they added the Video Game premise to me made made it more 21st Century because it was a Board Game. These days kids and video games you know? Last Video Game I played was................. Damned if I remember???

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Glad to hear you enjoyed it although I think the aspect they added the Video Game premise to me made made it more 21st Century because it was a Board Game. These days kids and video games you know? Last Video Game I played was................. Damned if I remember???
Good point Steve. Plus if they had stuck with the board game theme people might try to say it was a reboot which it was clearly not. They did a good job with making it as modern game like as possible. Will definitely watch it again. I know I said it before but seriously great acting by all four stars of the movie. Hart and Black were hysterical. Did you see the look on Johnson's face after he gave a Rock Bottom to one of the guys in the market place? I could tell he really enjoyed fitting that into the scene.

How about Colin Hanks showing up at the end? Put some curly hair on him and he's a spitting image of his father in Bachelor Party, tho he looked more like Gump with that short haircut. :teehee:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just watched Orbiter 9 on Netflix.
It was different, but good.
Subtitled though. Made in Spain

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I just started watching the series "Mad Men" on Netflix.
Damn They Smoke a lot of cigs on that show.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
12 Strong last night and it was excellent

DMeS0yOVoAAA0o_.jpg

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wifey and I watched Thor:Ragnarok again last night. The night before was the first two Evil Dead movies.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trying to finish up this, damn you ADHD

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959563/

And starting on this (series, not a movie but based on an old classic movie from the 80's) to finally make use of my free Youtube Red for my Google Play subscription:

Cobra Kai
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/

edit: I thought VU used to auto populate hyperlink images for IMDB? I guess I am thinking of the ELR forums.

VU Sponsors