Become a Patron!

What's the max watt mod I should get?

kaynet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm looking for nice flavors but I haven't experimented at all yet with watts. I know I have to find my own personal "sweet spot" but I'm also afraid I'll buy a mod with too high of a max wattage and pay more than I need to. What do you guys think? What's the average watt vaped when searching for best flavors.:)

Is 50 too high or too low?

In a nice way I just want to say.. people who don't care about the flavor too much, please don't reply. I've been confused so many times with different kinds of people. I just want to stick to flavor chaser thoughts.:confused::confused:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can get great flavor with 10 watts or great flavor at 60 watts..It all depends on your tank or RDA and where you like it most..50 watts is fine if you vape at 35 to 40 watts but more than likely it will be a single battery mod so you cant expect battery life to be all that great...If you vape at 10 to 15 watts it wouldn't be all that bad.

I guess we should ask what you have now youre vaping with?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm a flavor chaser and I normally vape about 80w. I have an Alien 220w. The way I see it is I get the highest wattage I can and if I don't use it that high, so be it. The option is always there. :)

kaynet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a flavor chaser and I normally vape about 80w. I have an Alien 220w. The way I see it is I get the highest wattage I can and if I don't use it that high, so be it. The option is always there. :)

Oooh yeah that naturally puts me at a dilemma. I gotta take your word when youre out there for the same thing. And I've heard flavor chasers use high watts. You think.. in your personal opinion 50w is unlivable? Because I was thinking of getting the Istick 50w with the nautilus mini but...maybe your tactic is better. It'll never be too low ! hah

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oooh yeah that naturally puts me at a dilemma. I gotta take your word when youre out there for the same thing. And I've heard flavor chasers use high watts. You think.. in your personal opinion 50w is unlivable? Because I was thinking of getting the Istick 50w with the nautilus mini but...maybe your tactic is better. It'll never be too low ! hah

For me, 50w is too low. YMMV. In my view, it's better to have the option to go higher without having to buy another mod. But I'm on a very limited budget so that's also a consideration for me.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm looking for nice flavors but I haven't experimented at all yet with watts. I know I have to find my own personal "sweet spot" but I'm also afraid I'll buy a mod with too high of a max wattage and pay more than I need to. What do you guys think? What's the average watt vaped when searching for best flavors.:)

Is 50 too high or too low?

In a nice way I just want to say.. people who don't care about the flavor too much, please don't reply. I've been confused so many times with different kinds of people. I just want to stick to flavor chaser thoughts.:confused::confused:

The highest watts you'll need will be limited by the type of tank and the coils that tank uses, mainly the coil is the deciding factor, example being the Smok TFV tanks, the TFV4 with the Q4 Quad Coil head gets stellar in the 80 to 100 watt range, but the TFV8 with its stock head needs around 150watts before it is stellar, don't even get me started on the New TFV12 they just came out with. Still one of the best tanks for flavor that needs a little oomph is still the Uwell Crown (v1, haven't messed with the V2 much yet myself), but the V1 has stellar performance to the Smok TFV4 needing half the watts in the 40 to 60watts range. The difference you are seeing in the ratings is the amount of wire used in some tanks like the TFV8, way to much wire in the coil itself needing more and more power, where stellar performers that work excellently at lower watts have less wire mass to heat up to ideal heat flux and temperature. Now after the coil is taken into account and the wattage that tank/coil needs to function in the stellar collumn, my advice is take the needed watts and add 50% to double more needed, this makes sure the mod is not being red-lined all the time and if you need that little extra oomph the mod can push a bit further, example with Uwell Crown's 40 to 60 watts, any mod 70 to 120watts will work brilliantly for your needs.

hth a bit more.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Flavor chasers tend to buy heavy coils, such as dual core claptons, zipper coils, tiger coils, etc. These are fairly heavy so take more power to reach the same vape temp as a lighter coil build. They also produce more flavor since they trap and vaporize more juice. 200-220W is a decent power level. And, you don't HAVE to use the full power setting. Start low, work up to where you like it. Im vaping at 130W right now. Just on a simple, dual coil set up. I tend to build for clouds with flavor options, (like turning power and air down for flavor, and up for cloud) I am set for flavor at the moment.

Like #Khassy said, 220 gives you options. That 50w mod would never push dual parallel clapton coils unless they were nearly microscopic. LOL. If I remember, the 26ga core parallel claptons i made were running around 105W.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can get great flavor with 10 watts or great flavor at 60 watts..It all depends on your tank or RDA and where you like it most..50 watts is fine if you vape at 35 to 40 watts but more than likely it will be a single battery mod so you cant expect battery life to be all that great...If you vape at 10 to 15 watts it wouldn't be all that bad.

I guess we should ask what you have now youre vaping with?
^^^This^^^

Like Mike said, I too can get just as good flavor at 10 watts as 50, all depends on the equipment.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A cheap Spinner II with a simple Aspire atty at 8 watts delivers incredible flavor, it's the size of the atomizer which delivers the flavor. The bigger you go, more power is needed, which doesn't necessary deliver fantastic flavor because you have to mix so much air or you burn the wick, which lessens the flavor with more airflow.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok my 2 cents
dont buy the istick
why?
it has a built in battery. batteries can only be recharged so many times. I was burning through isticks every 2 or 3 months
And if you are out and about and not near a usb port how you gonna keep vaping if the battery is dead?

get a mod that uses 18650 batteries
if you are planning to vape below 40 watts all day a one battery mod will last you most of the day
but if you plan on vaping at 50 and up get a two battery mod

most 1 battery mods nowadays are 70ish watts which is plenty for many people
most 2 battery mods nowadays are running 200w and more then enough for everyone

I believe having more then you need just in case

most subohm tanks need at least 50 for their premade coils to shine but not all
50w is good but with so many 1 battery 75wish mods that would cover you better
like an ipv d3 you can grab the d3 a single battery charger and 2 lg hg2 batteries for about $60 from 101vape.com and that will go to 80w which should hold you and give you a solid mod and great batteries. you can have one in the mod and one charging

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A cheap Spinner II with a simple Aspire atty at 8 watts delivers incredible flavor, it's the size of the atomizer which delivers the flavor. The bigger you go, more power is needed, which doesn't necessary deliver fantastic flavor because you have to mix so much air or you burn the wick, which lessens the flavor with more airflow.

Sorry but that is 100% wrong. Larger coils, such as 24 ga dual core claptons REQUIRE more WATTS to reach the same TEMPERATURE as a 28ga dual core clapton. It is the temperature that burns wick, not the watts. The larger coils trap more juice, which produces more flavor. This is why flavor chasers use fancy coils like claptons, they trap more juice than a single core staple coil.
Lets think in terms of factory made coils. 1.8 ohm and 0.5 ohm on identical tanks. The 0.5 ohm produces more flavor because it has a bigger coil, it also requires more wattage than the 1.8 ohm for this reason. If I remember, 1.8 ohm runs nicely at about 12w, the 0.5 runs around 22w. Higher watts, same heat, but better flavor on the 0.5. Yet, if you use 22w on the 1.8 ohm, you will burn the coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
ok my 2 cents
dont buy the istick
why?
it has a built in battery. batteries can only be recharged so many times. I was burning through isticks every 2 or 3 months
And if you are out and about and not near a usb port how you gonna keep vaping if the battery is dead?

get a mod that uses 18650 batteries
if you are planning to vape below 40 watts all day a one battery mod will last you most of the day
but if you plan on vaping at 50 and up get a two battery mod

most 1 battery mods nowadays are 70ish watts which is plenty for many people
most 2 battery mods nowadays are running 200w and more then enough for everyone

I believe having more then you need just in case

most subohm tanks need at least 50 for their premade coils to shine but not all
50w is good but with so many 1 battery 75wish mods that would cover you better
like an ipv d3 you can grab the d3 a single battery charger and 2 lg hg2 batteries for about $60 from 101vape.com and that will go to 80w which should hold you and give you a solid mod and great batteries. you can have one in the mod and one charging

Agree. I tend to like to buy more than I NEED so i have options later.
I own 1 tank atty, and vape around 33w. I own several flavor attys and vape those between 90 to 160w. Cloud attys I run at around the full 200w, but with 200w to work with, I can build flavor coils that take full advantage of the available power. My So Horney atty will easily hold 6 claptons, but it takes a lot of watts to power them, but the flavor is amazing.

I think the main factor is.. what kind of coils do you plan to use. If you only plan to use factory coils, you probably wont need a lot of power. If you plan on chasing max flavor, that takes bigger coils and more power. Remember.. watts do not = heat. Heat is determined by the heat flux of the coil, which is the amount of watts required to bring the wire in a specific coil to a certain temperature.

If you ever had to boost your car, that is a good example. A cheap 18ga set of cables heats up faster than the more expensive 8ga jumper cables. Same volts, same watts, different wire weight.

Basically, decide if you want to run just 1 type of atomizer and coils or if you want options for other atomizers with heavier coils. Personally, I would rather spend an extra $20 for to many watts, than end up buying a whole new mod because the old one wont do the job on a better atomizer a couple months down the road. Its basically what your plans are now and for later. Maybe you just want to stick to one set up, and that is fine. Many people do. Some like to try new atomizers as they come available, and that is just as fine.

I think the easiest way to put it is.. vape how you like. Some like to just vape the same thing for years. Some like to try to get the most flavor they can (flavor chasers), and some like to go for clouds. (cloud chasers)... it is all in what you like and want to do.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
By the way... I seem to remember a flavor chaser forum here? Good info there as well. If nothing else, you can compare that info to the info in this thread.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry but that is 100% wrong. Larger coils, such as 24 ga dual core claptons REQUIRE more WATTS to reach the same TEMPERATURE as a 28ga dual core clapton. It is the temperature that burns wick, not the watts. The larger coils trap more juice, which produces more flavor. This is why flavor chasers use fancy coils like claptons, they trap more juice than a single core staple coil.
Lets think in terms of factory made coils. 1.8 ohm and 0.5 ohm on identical tanks. The 0.5 ohm produces more flavor because it has a bigger coil, it also requires more wattage than the 1.8 ohm for this reason. If I remember, 1.8 ohm runs nicely at about 12w, the 0.5 runs around 22w. Higher watts, same heat, but better flavor on the 0.5. Yet, if you use 22w on the 1.8 ohm, you will burn the coil.
Whatever you say Mr Expert Vapor. I can get just as good flavor from a spinner II with a 1.8 ohm coil than I can on a 250 watt DNA at 150 watts with quad coils.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By the way... I seem to remember a flavor chaser forum here? Good info there as well. If nothing else, you can compare that info to the info in this thread.
I don't need to compare anything, I have over 100 mods and close to 150 attys....I know how to get flavor.

kaynet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay then can someone give me a full simple setup of something that goes high wattage? Like if I get the alien should I get the kit that comes with the baby beast or should I use a different tank?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Okay then can someone give me a full simple setup of something that goes high wattage? Like if I get the alien should I get the kit that comes with the baby beast or should I use a different tank?
we need to know what you are using now so we kno wwhat you are used to using tank and coil wise to be able to really help you that baby beast can be mighty powerful

kaynet

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You know this might sound ridiculous.. or you might've guessed it from how clueless I am.. :p But I've never owned any sort of setup before. I have no idea what I prefer. I've just been going in to extensive research to find a good taste worthy one that would last at least a few months.. but really as long as possible. I don't want to buy anymore until then.. mostly because of money. I'm planning on spending $100 or a little over if needed for this one but no more than that. Under 100 is preferred so I can add some extra juices ;)

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I have an Alien 220 and use the Baby Beast and Big Baby Beast, as well as an Aspire Cleito tank. With more than one tank, I can switch flavors without having to use up all of what's in the tank first. :D I use one for dessert flavors and the other two for fruit flavors, but if you just get one tank, the Baby Beast will do you just fine.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing you should worry about is getting a mod with enough power.
Too much power is not a problem since you don't have to use the mod at it's max setting anyway.

Most mods these days are around 200W and almost no one actually uses 200W.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You know this might sound ridiculous.. or you might've guessed it from how clueless I am.. :p But I've never owned any sort of setup before. I have no idea what I prefer. I've just been going in to extensive research to find a good taste worthy one that would last at least a few months.. but really as long as possible. I don't want to buy anymore until then.. mostly because of money. I'm planning on spending $100 or a little over if needed for this one but no more than that. Under 100 is preferred so I can add some extra juices ;)

Nothing wrong with doing a lot of research before jumping in. Wish I had. Could have saved money. :)

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my opinion, the unfortunate thing about beginning is understanding that it’s all subjective and no one is going to be able to tell you what YOU want/like. And, you won’t know what you like until you’ve made your own personal comparisons by trying different things. Like others have already stated, do some research and pick based on what you can afford. Word of warning, you might end up desiring something different but that is ok and normal. I would guess that not many of us got what we wanted on the first try.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right now the hot mod is the Alien with the Baby Beast tank. I don't have the mod but it gets a lot of love on the Forum. I have 3 Baby Beast tanks and love them. the Alien gives you the option of 200 watts if some day needed. About 70 for the kit and another 30 for 4 batteries and a charger.

Get batteries and charger here.https://liionwholesale.com/

For a single battery mod I love the Eleaf Pico full kit but get the Aspire EVO coils for the Melo tank as they have much better flavor.
I love my Pico with the Baby Beast tank. 40 for the kit or 30 for the body only. 25 for the Baby Beast tank about 20 for 2 batteries and a charger.

I run the Baby Beast tank at 40-45 watts with the Q2 or X4 coils and get about 4 weeks out of a coil.
But don't limit yourself to my suggestions only there are lots of good options available.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
depends how you vape really but nothing wrong with buying a 200 watt mod and only using 50 watts. I don't think many of us here use anywhere near the max watts of our mods. I know I don't. I'm usually between the 70-100 mark on most builds i do

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's your first mod, I would say get a Evic VTC Mini kit. It's a single 18650 that goes up to 75w, does temp control and is upgradable / customizable. They make a kit that comes with the tron tank, more suitable to lower watts / airflow which I think is fine for a first tank. The other kit I believe includes a cubis tank which is a bit of the opposite of the tron tank.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would guess that not many of us got what we wanted on the first try.

I sure didn't. I started with the Joyetech Ego AIO and could hardly get any flavor at all out of any juice. What a waste of money that was. :(

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get sucked into the my Mod can do 1000W dick wars. Personally I normally Vape around 80W then on my big 30mm+ devices maybe around 110W-120W, just depends on chamber size. So IMO for you and longevity I would say around 150W would be fine, anything capable of higher Wattage would be for battery life. I also wouldn't be spending bank until you really find out what your sweet spot is.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Don't get sucked into the my Mod can do 1000W dick wars. Personally I normally Vape around 80W then on my big 30mm+ devices maybe around 110W-120W, just depends on chamber size. So IMO for you and longevity I would say around 150W would be fine, anything capable of higher Wattage would be for battery life. I also wouldn't be spending bank until you really find out what your sweet spot is.
this^ i agree 150 is a good option. realistically 95+% of vapors don't need more then that, plus you'll get better battery life over a single 18650 mod and many of the dual batt mods are pretty small as well. The alien and battlestar are 2 really good options.

Also if you just need a starter mod to quit, i picked up a tesla 3 pretty cheap. it's capable of 150 watts, got a built in 5000mah battery for good battery life and it's a simple 1 button device. no settings needed. just put your tank on and fire and can be found under 30 bucks. and it's really small.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
this^ i agree 150 is a good option. realistically 95+% of vapors don't need more then that, plus you'll get better battery life over a single 18650 mod and many of the dual batt mods are pretty small as well. The alien and battlestar are 2 really good options.

Also if you just need a starter mod to quit, i picked up a tesla 3 pretty cheap. it's capable of 150 watts, got a built in 5000mah battery for good battery life and it's a simple 1 button device. no settings needed. just put your tank on and fire and can be found under 30 bucks. and it's really small.
Yep
With all the Mod's I have and a good chunk are high end I use my Tesla 3 a lot, it's a great kick around mod especially when I want to go out on a Pub Crawl. But being primarily a Mech user that works great with me. For regulated users they might not like no VV/VW.

As for the Battlestar I needed a spare regulated Mod so I have one inbound. I mostly only use regulated Mod's as a mobile build platform and to pulse/clean my coils. My RX200 has been filling that function but it's starting to give me some issues so I pulled the trigger on the Battlestar.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yep
With all the Mod's I have and a good chunk are high end I use my Tesla 3 a lot, it's a great kick around mod especially when I want to go out on a Pub Crawl. But being primarily a Mech user that works great with me. For regulated users they might not like no VV/VW.

As for the Battlestar I needed a spare regulated Mod so I have one inbound. I mostly only use regulated Mod's as a mobile build platform and to pulse/clean my coils. My RX200 has been filling that function but it's starting to give me some issues so I pulled the trigger on the Battlestar.
not the tesla invader 3, i was referring the the tesla 3.
the invader 3 is a dual 18650 VV mod
the 3 is a built in 5000mah lipo with no adjustments. just a fire button. like a starter mod on steroids.

I wish companies would name mods better LMAO

your gonna love the battle star. it's like a high quality RX2/3 with better temp control. and it's durable as hell for your pub crawl beater nights ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not the tesla invader 3, i was referring the the tesla 3.
the invader 3 is a dual 18650 VV mod
the 3 is a built in 5000mah lipo with no adjustments. just a fire button. like a starter mod on steroids.

I wish companies would name mods better LMAO

your gonna love the battle star. it's like a high quality RX2/3 with better temp control. and it's durable as hell for your pub crawl beater nights ;)
Yes, I'm also referring to the "Tesla 3", not the Invader.

Yeah I've read good things about the Battlestar that's why I got it. The shitty 510 with any Joytech products is why I'm not picking up another Reuleaux. What a shame, outstanding mod screwed by a very inexpensive piece Joytech could easily fix with little to no cost. :headbang:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yes, I'm also referring to the "Tesla 3", not the Invader.

Yeah I've read good things about the Battlestar that's why I got it. The shitty 510 with any Joytech products is why I'm not picking up another Reuleaux. What a shame, outstanding mod screwed by a very inexpensive piece Joytech could easily fix with little to no cost. :headbang:
dammit i read it wrong LMAO my bad.

i got the hedron and rx300, both have shitty 510 pins still. also have a primo on the way, I'm guessing it'll be shitty as well.
it would cost them pennies for a better 510 and yet they refuse. i'd gladly pay an extra 5 bucks for a better 510 on them, but they seem dead set on cheaping out to undercut everyone price wise and it's sadly working out well for them

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dammit i read it wrong LMAO my bad.

i got the hedron and rx300, both have shitty 510 pins still. also have a primo on the way, I'm guessing it'll be shitty as well.
it would cost them pennies for a better 510 and yet they refuse. i'd gladly pay an extra 5 bucks for a better 510 on them, but they seem dead set on cheaping out to undercut everyone price wise and it's sadly working out well for them
Yep, thus why I discourage anyone from buying Joytech products

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I try to, but then the wismec/joyetech fans come in and get pissed lol. what can you do?
Everything is subjective and everything has it faults. It's all about what faults you choose to deal with for the benefits, just like people ;)

For me at the time I got my Reuleaux's they were the best I could find. I had the 510, wiring and insulator replaced on the DNA and now she's an incredible regulated mod. The RX, not worth putting out $50 to have the same work done. I'm sure there are better regulated Mod's out there now than to have to deal with the shitty 510 and the pathetic small gauge wiring they use in Joytech gear.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Everything is subjective and everything has it faults. It's all about what faults you choose to deal with for the benefits, just like people ;)

For me at the time I got my Reuleaux's they were the best I could find. I had the 510, wiring and insulator replaced on the DNA and now she's an incredible regulated mod. The RX, not worth putting out $50 to have the same work done. I'm sure there are better regulated Mod's out there now than to have to deal with the shitty 510 and the pathetic small gauge wiring they use in Joytech gear.
they really cornered the market. weren't many triple 18650 200 watt mods at the time the RX200 came out (still aren't many either lol), and they were dirt cheap. price point/power will always be big sellers.

and yup thats very true, all people have their quirks.

RubenAlonzo

Member For 4 Years
I'm new here and don't know shit from shinola when it comes to vaping and gear, BUT, with the advice, support and help from the good people here I have learned quite a bit. I have the SMOK AL85 and it (in my opinion) is a very good mod to start off with. The temperature is variable as is the wattage up to a maximum of 85 watts. There are a slew of customization options as far as tanks and RDA'a that kinda stuff available for it. It run on a single 18650, I use a Samsung, and have NO ISSUE with all day vaping at 35 to 40 watts. And I mean ALL day. Best of luck!

VU Sponsors