What's up with multiple coil coils?

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Everyone knows the old saying "more/bigger is better", this brings me to the new types of coils coming out with multiple coil coils. By this I mean for example, Smok's TFV series of coils that have 4, 6 and 8 coils. Are 6 and 8 really necessary? Do they make vaping that much better? IMHO, not really.

I was blown away back in the day when the dual coils came out and the flavor was boosted big time. I thought that was the shit. Then the quad coils hit the scene and WOW! It can't get any better than this. Now the 6 and 8 coil versions have hit the scene and I thought, this is going to be freaking awesome. Weeeellllll....not as much as I'd hoped. I love the quad coils for the TFV 4 and 8. They give great flavor and decent clouds, although I could care less about clouds, it does make a bit of a difference, but not that much to me.

I tried the octuple coils that came with the TFV 8 kit and wasn't all that impressed. They almost seemed to mute the flavor of my juice and limited the clouds as well, however, this being said I prefer a cooler vape. After 38 years of smoking my lungs can't take vaping any coil over 65 watts. This might be why the coils haven't impressed me that much. I tried the 6 coils for my TFV 4 and they were OK, but not as good as the quads. I bet the 6 and 8 coils are for those that are vaping at 100 watts or more and probably make a difference at that high of a wattage.

I'm sure a lot of folks out there will disagree with me on this issue, but is there really a need to go beyond a quad coil? I'm just wondering if there are going to be some 10 or 12 coils before the deadline that is soon approaching.

All this being said, I do love all the newer coils and tanks that are coming out. This seems to me to be the "golden age" of vaping when it comes to tanks. I love my TFV 8's, as someone told me not long ago, "they be the shit dawg!" LOL

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The quad coils have always been my favorite for the TFV4 and now 8. With the tfv4 the airholes on the 6 and 8 coil heads were too small anyway and restricted airflow compared to the quad with it's single wide bore airhole. With the tfv8 the 8 coil is much improved over the tfv4 version but i still prefer the quad coil. For me it is more about the flow of air rather than the number of coils. If they made a 6 or 8 coil with the same amount of airflow as the quad I am sure I would be happy.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The quad coils have always been my favorite for the TFV4 and now 8. With the tfv4 the airholes on the 6 and 8 coil heads were too small anyway and restricted airflow compared to the quad with it's single wide bore airhole. With the tfv8 the 8 coil is much improved over the tfv4 version but i still prefer the quad coil. For me it is more about the flow of air rather than the number of coils. If they made a 6 or 8 coil with the same amount of airflow as the quad I am sure I would be happy.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
The octuple coil is 4 parallel coils, so airflow shouldn't be that different. That said, I've only had my tfv8 a week so I haven't tried anything else yet

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The octuple coil is 4 parallel coils, so airflow shouldn't be that different. That said, I've only had my tfv8 a week so I haven't tried anything else yet

I am talking about the difference between the T8 on the left and Q4 on the right:

smok-tfv8-tfv4-coil-comaprison.jpg

As you can see the coil on the right has a huge airflow hole. I started with the T8 coil on the TFV8 as it was the one already installed and I like it but when I installed the Q4 coil I had to close the air control more to equal the airflow as it is more airy than the T8.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see your point. I'm planning on just using the rebuild able deck once my 8 coil goes kaput, hoping no problems arise there

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It all comes down to personal preference. I like the quad coils myself. all the coils give vapers what they want in a vape. flavor, or monster clouds.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am talking about the difference between the T8 on the left and Q4 on the right:

smok-tfv8-tfv4-coil-comaprison.jpg

As you can see the coil on the right has a huge airflow hole. I started with the T8 coil on the TFV8 as it was the one already installed and I like it but when I installed the Q4 coil I had to close the air control more to equal the airflow as it is more airy than the T8.

Am I the only one who has an OCD problem with these pics?
To start with the top right coil is just corked as hell.
(I'm sure it works just fine but the fact that it is not straight bothers me)
It looks like the V8-Q4 and they work great but damnit, it is leaning to the left.
Has it had too much to drink and needs some assistance?

The center coil being a TF-TI just doesn't belong in the pic.
Yes I know this was just used to reference the other two coils but Smok shouldn't have used this stock photo to start with.

Everyone knows the old saying "more/bigger is better", this brings me to the new types of coils coming out with multiple coil coils. By this I mean for example, Smok's TFV series of coils that have 4, 6 and 8 coils. Are 6 and 8 really necessary? Do they make vaping that much better? IMHO, not really.

I was blown away back in the day when the dual coils came out and the flavor was boosted big time. I thought that was the shit. Then the quad coils hit the scene and WOW! It can't get any better than this. Now the 6 and 8 coil versions have hit the scene and I thought, this is going to be freaking awesome. Weeeellllll....not as much as I'd hoped. I love the quad coils for the TFV 4 and 8. They give great flavor and decent clouds, although I could care less about clouds, it does make a bit of a difference, but not that much to me.

I tried the octuple coils that came with the TFV 8 kit and wasn't all that impressed. They almost seemed to mute the flavor of my juice and limited the clouds as well, however, this being said I prefer a cooler vape. After 38 years of smoking my lungs can't take vaping any coil over 65 watts. This might be why the coils haven't impressed me that much. I tried the 6 coils for my TFV 4 and they were OK, but not as good as the quads. I bet the 6 and 8 coils are for those that are vaping at 100 watts or more and probably make a difference at that high of a wattage.

I'm sure a lot of folks out there will disagree with me on this issue, but is there really a need to go beyond a quad coil? I'm just wondering if there are going to be some 10 or 12 coils before the deadline that is soon approaching.

All this being said, I do love all the newer coils and tanks that are coming out. This seems to me to be the "golden age" of vaping when it comes to tanks. I love my TFV 8's, as someone told me not long ago, "they be the shit dawg!" LOL

I have been vaping the t8 since I got the kit and have not liked it at all!!! Did not seem to get good flavor no matter what I tried, wattage, flavor mix, vg/pg ratio, nothing did the trick. Put the q2 in and BAM!!! Instant flavor increase and better flavor in general and massive increase in airflow. Basically, I blew tasty fat clouds on the q2 versus the t8

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Since you asked, the. upcoming Arctic V12 will have 12 coils. Maybe they are 4 triple parallel coils, not sure. I also heard they may be 0.1 ohm kanthal, and even if your mod can fire that low, can it handle the max amps? For e.g., I think the Cuboid has a cutoff of 25a, so maybe it could vape such coils at 90w but not 150+ as intended.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are mods that fire well below .1 properly. Especially multicell lipos.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very true, but its an investment. The new ipv Yihi mods like the 6 and 400 only fire to .15 in power mode. Others cut off at 25 or 35 amps, or 7-8v on high resistance coils.

Maybe something to be said for DNA200 lipo mods, besides just TC. Especially if they are doing it actually not by buck and boost, and they are not huge, like a Primus.

VU Sponsors