Become a Patron!

What's up with the spam

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there a malcontent putting our site on a list? Man the spam has been crazy the last few days. Is there a way to hold the first post untill a mod checks it out? I would be willing to help in any way possible.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Is there a malcontent putting our site on a list? Man the spam has been crazy the last few days. Is there a way to hold the first post untill a mod checks it out? I would be willing to help in any way possible.
Not sure what spam your referring to? But we have a report button for you to use.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a bunch of stuff like buy this weight loss stuff and program fitness and random crap like that. All first post people. I have used the report button alot on them. Just found it strange the amount that hit from yesterday on.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a bunch of stuff like buy this weight loss stuff and program fitness and random crap like that. All first post people. I have used the report button alot on them. Just found it strange the amount that hit from yesterday on.
Just report them, we try to clean up the mess as soon as we can.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I'd STILL really appreciate it if the forced delay could be shortened to 5 seconds -- some nights, there is a real ton of that useless shit, but I have to sit there counting, before I can report the next one. It's ridiculous! I'm trying to help, and the damn arbitrary delay is getting in the way!

Andria

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
We spam ban them all by 7 AM est every morning

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Ok. I just must be too addicted to the site and check it every few seconds.
Yeah I can understand that since we get about 30 of those a night, usually after midnight est.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah never reply in the thread and I also recommend not even opening the thread. Just click on their user name, go to their profile and report the Scum, Lowlife, Piece of Shit Spammer.

Don't remember how the verification is for creating a user here, but if there isn't there needs to be a verification of email along with Captcha to get an account.
I also would then suggest that a user needs to make at least 5 or 10 comments in threads "before" having he rights to create a thread.

There's no magic bullet, those measures will just kill the robots, but the physical Scum that are actually human are cockroaches.

When I ran my own sites and forums I kept up on the IP ranges of known Spam friendly networks, I dropped entire network ranges at the firewall. That cut down most, but an occasional roach would crawl in. I'd ban them and report the IP to the black lists.

Yes, they're Cockroaches .............

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
While I agree with most of what you say. I do think new members should be able to make new threads in the intro section only.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe restrict them to the Newb /introduction forum until they've been vetted ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe restrict them to the Newb /introduction forum until they've been vetted ;)

Except VU doesn't wanna be ECF, and that's one of their #1 asshole moves.

Andria

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
I wouldn't call that an asshole move, it's an attempt to control the Scum Spammers. As time goes on an on the assault from those Scum will increase and increase.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
ECF doesn't do that anymore... Just had to report some spam over there... :facepalm:

And I'd STILL really appreciate it if the forced delay could be shortened to 5 seconds -- some nights, there is a real ton of that useless shit, but I have to sit there counting, before I can report the next one. It's ridiculous! I'm trying to help, and the damn arbitrary delay is getting in the way!
Andria
YES!!!! I agree :xD: Some nights I go on a super reporting spree and it takes foooorrrrreeeevvvvveeeerrrrrrrr :wait::crazy:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ECF doesn't do that anymore... Just had to report some spam over there... :facepalm:

YES!!!! I agree :xD: Some nights I go on a super reporting spree and it takes foooorrrrreeeevvvvveeeerrrrrrrr :wait::crazy:

It really does. Last night I was reporting some, and as soon as I clicked "new posts" again, I saw ANOTHER one... and I knew I'd have to sit there and count, so I just said FUCK IT and went to bed. If that damned annoying delay wasn't there, I'd have reported that one too.

Andria

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It really does. Last night I was reporting some, and as soon as I clicked "new posts" again, I saw ANOTHER one... and I knew I'd have to sit there and count, so I just said FUCK IT and went to bed. If that damned annoying delay wasn't there, I'd have reported that one too.

Andria
While the delay can be annoying at times it does serve a purpose, it's to keep spammers from "flooding" the board by posting the same thing in multiple threads/sub-forums in a rapid fire posting spree.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While the delay can be annoying at times it does serve a purpose, it's to keep spammers from "flooding" the board by posting the same thing in multiple threads/sub-forums in a rapid fire posting spree.

I'm not trying to make a new post, I'm trying to report one! BIG difference!!!

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Treat them like any thread you have no interest in, and just don't click, for anyone highly annoyed by them. They do get taken care of. Maybe not instantly, but they do get GONE. Many have already been filtered by email, or set words, so they don't make it as far as registering, but they do come up with new phrases all the time.

VU Sponsors