Become a Patron!

What's your Drill? Easy trigger?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's kinda sorta bolted down.

EWiOhhC.jpg

Yep I use one of those Spinners myself, I rather like it.

As for drill, I use a cordless Dewalt DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill and works rather well. For me it's all about how good the Variable speed is, this one works alright for the money. But then again I pretty much just stick with my fused claptons, messed about with other styles but I'm happy with fused claptons with high gauge wrapping wire from 38g - 44g and thats my sweet spot.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love how consistent my cordless Craftsman is, but it's old and holding the trigger for more than a minute or two is really hard

My new corded Hitachi is much easier to squeeze, hold, forever if needed, has a trigger lock but I don't think I'll ever need it for wire

It does on rare occasion "spurt" start, only in one direction; my dad's corded Dewalt does that about every one in every two or three starts, that was intolerable

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never had my Dewalt start as slow as I wanted and that is why I paid a premium when I bought it because I most often buy quality tools although I recently purchased an inexpensive Harbor Freight Grinder Cutting tool that did the job I needed to get accomplished but still have a decent tool in my arsenal if I need it again. Now if I find it is a tool I use regularly and the cheap one craps out I will purchase a top of the lime model.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never had my Dewalt start as slow as I wanted and that is why I paid a premium when I bought it because I most often buy quality tools although I recently purchased an inexpensive Harbor Freight Grinder Cutting tool that did the job I needed to get accomplished but still have a decent tool in my arsenal if I need it again. Now if I find it is a tool I use regularly and the cheap one craps out I will purchase a top of the lime model.
Yeah I've been contemplating on spending more on a higher end drill, but can't really justify it at this time. My Dewalt still works other than having to buy another set of battery packs. I think though that when these two go out I'll get another drill but a bit higher end. The trigger makes a huge difference and most likely higher RPM also, cordless is nice but I will sacrifice a bit of convenience for better RPM and trigger.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My Dewalt still works other than having to buy another set of battery packs.

The replacement battery packs cost more that the initial investment but these packs are way better then the first or originals because they last so much longer.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The replacement battery packs cost more that the initial investment but these packs are way better then the first or originals because they last so much longer.
I've never owned a dewalt and only used the hammer drill. Hammer drills have a low and high gears. I had the ryobi hammer drill it had 3 gears. The rigid I have 2 gears but compared to dewalt or ryobi seem a little less rpms and built like a tank. Really it makes more sense to buy the whole tool kit than just a hammer drill. The rigid batteries have a bunch of holes in the bottom for cooling where charging and charger can charge 2 batteries at once. Its pretty loud because it blowing air into battery. The only negative I can say is its too big to fit in between studs where the dewalt can.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
- Will the pedal control speed, or is speed only controlled via the main box and the pedal is simply an on/off

- 30,000 RPM :eek: would your gutting and repurposing this be able to fix these issues?

It can be either for the pedal. Making the pedal control speed is easy. These little DC motors spin 30K with no load. The second you add load to that you would wish you had more. i have some high torque motors that spin at lower speeds but would be better for spinning wire. Going to play with this some.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I believe I may have built the first foot powered coil drill today.

Proof of concept.

I could not find the parts I purchased to make a swivel and if I had one of those jigs from @raymo2u this device would be ready to go.

Criteria Met
-- Hands Free Operation (Foot Control)
-- Variable Speed
-- Forward/Reverse operation (Variable speed both directions) via toggle switch

When I last assembled this I knocked the motor shaft out of round. Today I built a tool and spent almost 5 hours re-centering it just so I could complete it.

@Pegleg Meg, told you I didn't forget

Is there anything I am missing from the original wish list?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Epic, man, well done I say!

And I believe that chuck may spin even more perfectly centered than my drill

Ohmniscient

Member For 1 Year
I believe I may have built the first foot powered coil drill today.

Proof of concept.

I could not find the parts I purchased to make a swivel and if I had one of those jigs from @raymo2u this device would be ready to go.

Criteria Met
-- Hands Free Operation (Foot Control)
-- Variable Speed
-- Forward/Reverse operation (Variable speed both directions) via toggle switch

When I last assembled this I knocked the motor shaft out of round. Today I built a tool and spent almost 5 hours re-centering it just so I could complete it.

@Pegleg Meg, told you I didn't forget

Is there anything I am missing from the original wish list?

I love this man. Do you mind sharing how you accomplished this? Did you just wire a momentary foot switch pedal to a drill? I assume you can use one of those pedals that plugs into a grounded outlet and then plug a corded drill into like these?
IMG_1296.JPG

Sent from inside a very cloudy room off my iPhone

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I love this man. Do you mind sharing how you accomplished this? Did you just wire a momentary foot switch pedal to a drill? I assume you can use one of those pedals that plugs into a grounded outlet and then plug a corded drill into like these?
View attachment 110986

Dont mind at all. I used a sewing machine motor for the final design which are variable speed by nature and then wired a polarity reversal switch across the stator so it could be used forward and reverse.

It still needs some work to be reliable and presently working on a design to retard the torque of the motor since it is a touch too powerful.

To get the drill chuck on I filed down the motor shaft to 6mm in diameter and then drilled out a B10 chuck and sleeve and press fit it with a bench press.

Here are the parts used in the final design.

Ohmniscient

Member For 1 Year
Dont mind at all. I used a sewing machine motor for the final design which are variable speed by nature and then wired a polarity reversal switch across the stator so it could be used forward and reverse.

It still needs some work to be reliable and presently working on a design to retard the torque of the motor since it is a touch too powerful.

To get the drill chuck on I filed down the motor shaft to 6mm in diameter and then drilled out a B10 chuck and sleeve and press fit it with a bench press.

Here are the parts used in the final design.

Whoa, you put some work into those. After hearing you break it all down, I feel like my simple idea is probably not ideal. Great work on it though, man I would love to possibly purchase one in the future if possible. I’m thinking about all the possibilities and just how much easier it would all be just by freeing up that hand that’s on the drill.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Whoa, you put some work into those. After hearing you break it all down, I feel like my simple idea is probably not ideal. Great work on it though, man I would love to possibly purchase one in the future if possible. I’m thinking about all the possibilities and just how much easier it would all be just by freeing up that hand that’s on the drill.

Yeah, I am on my third iteration of it now and am waiting on some smaller less powerful motors since the sewing motor is just way too much. Before its all said and done I should have enough parts to build several of these. If you want one once the design is worked out we can make a trade. I will have far more than I need.

Ohmniscient

Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I am on my third iteration of it now and am waiting on some smaller less powerful motors since the sewing motor is just way too much. Before its all said and done I should have enough parts to build several of these. If you want one once the design is worked out we can make a trade. I will have far more than I need.

Yeah for sure, let me know when they’re ready. I’ll probably be stocked on wire and the other building goodies by then since I just got back into vaping.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Yeah for sure, let me know when they’re ready. I’ll probably be stocked on wire and the other building goodies by then since I just got back into vaping.

It will be a month or so. There are many things competing for time at the moment. I will post here once its licked. Welcome to VU by the way.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Circled back to this today and this is going to be V2. The AC motor was just too much and didnt want to be tamed. I took apart some things and bought some lots of stuff finally sorted and really like this 12V DC motor. Only downside is the DC motor when foot controlled is basically non moving or full tilt. Put together something to make it speed controlled and directionally controlled via knob/switch and that way its consistent.

Now that I know it will work as I expect it, time to start making it look pretty and see how it makes.

Coil Drill V2.jpg

VU Sponsors