Become a Patron!

When people know nothing about vaping, yet say it will definitively kill you...

Why do people who dont vape, and have no knowledge hate it?

• Big Pharma

• bratty/underage kids

• They think it is exactly the same as smoking

• ignorance

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Okay, so I will start out by saying... I this is my first time posting to this site, so I will mind my manners. That being said, why is it that people who know nothing about vaping and aren't trying to improve their health by using e-cigarettes decide they can judge any/everyone who vapes? Is there some reason that it is seen as a definitive bad thing, or it is that people think if they heard something once, it must be right? My most recent example of this is a rather popular YouTube channel who shall not be named (ThinkTank) posted a video berating the practice saying it is dangerous and will kill you. This follows the common trend of the lack-of-research claims in that not once is any reason mentioned other than nicotine (which in and of itself is not all that dangerous.)

So what is it that makes people believe the practice is so bad? (/rant)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
You are missing a vote for all of the above :)

There are 2 things you can be certain off in life death and taxes

We are all gonna die it's inevitable, driving my car to work is statistically worse for my life expectancy than both smoking or vaping!

Vaping is safer than smoking even pharma sponsored studies can't help but give the smallest hint of a nod towards that... do we understand everything in vaping yet ..no ...is not vaping better than vaping ....yes

Problem is media controls so much of public perception and most media outlets have political agendas :) then there are those that just use social media (like Facebook or twitter) as a way to enlighten themselves others just follow the herd

I don't blame these people they are entitled to thier opinion just as we are, better that way how boring would the world be if everyone agreed ....for a start I wouldn't be able to moan and that's my favourite pastime!

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first tried vaping a couple years ago, I was quite afraid of the chemicals and heated metals involved with such. Afraid it could possibly be worse...

Even though I was still smoking at the time, I felt awful when I vaped and coughed every time. It turned out that I am sensitive to PG.

After trying again (even when I was no longer smoking full time, Just a cigar on wine night or with the occasional couple beers) I discovered max VG on accident when my husband went and bought me a mod with sub ohm tank and juice. He did not like my way of "smoking" cigars and pipe tobacco. I inhale or don't smoke at all. If I were to "puff" tobacco, it ends with plenty of gross spitting (I am a super taster). Don't ask how I actually enjoyed an occasional dip or chew. :giggle: Tobacco has so many other things in it, besides nicotine, that is addicting and just desireable.

I felt better and haven't wanted to smoke since it is much more satisfying to me than the burnt smoke smell and taste.

After these couple months, I can feel no ill effects from vaping that even compare to the ill effects of smoking. I can breathe fine when I was easily out of breath before. My circulation is much better. I have less issues with my stomach and acid reflux than I did before if I stay away from menthol and certain flavors. It is customizable for me. It really is saving my family money, if not as much as not vaping or smoking at all would.

I am still unsure what the VG + flavorings + heated metal can do to humans in the long run, but it just feels much safer and causes me no problems when I had many as a smoker. What do we really know yet?

When a person just assumes and does not know, it is ignorance. "Assumptions are ignorance." It was said to me by a few wise people. What one doesn't know, can be frightening as well. The unknown can be met with much fear and opposition before it can even be proven harmless or safe, whether it is or not. Some people will kill all snakes they see in the US, even though there are only 4 (easily identifiable varieties, other than released pets in tropical areas like Florida) of venomous snakes native to the area, because they are afraid that snakes are venomous and will kill. All because assumptions are ignorance.

All I know is that this doesn't hurt my breathing or stamina in any way. I am better than ever. I can actually put this down for a few hours without suffering severe withdrawals. If I am in a non smoking area, I do not need to go and vape nearly as often as I would smoke before feeling any discomfort. It doesn't stink so bad as smoke, but it can have an odor or aroma, depending on the flavors vaped, (some are actually gross to me).

My mother and best friend died of lung cancer. But 2 friends that never smoked also died of the same. We all die, but I would rather die with some hope, and something to do to keep me from dying like my mom and friend. I LOVE the effects and tastes of tobacco, even if it stinks after, despite the effects. But vaping keeps me off the addiction that I had to the additional chemicals that were added to the commercial tobacco products in which the withdrawal was very severe to me. I don't want to go through that again.

Vaping has saved me from going back to smoking, just to fail at quitting yet again.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
When I first tried vaping a couple years ago, I was quite afraid of the chemicals and heated metals involved with such. Afraid it could possibly be worse...

Exactly this I bet every single one of us had this when we were smoking and knew little about vaping ...I know I did ...I'll put my hand up

I was one of those ignorant people myself didn't just jump on the band wagon i took convincing ...I was at first asking people but how can heating juice like this be good?, burning cotton I mean have you ever lit the wrong end of a cig? flavours are they safe to inhale and what the hell is a diketone, pg is a know irritant my brother in law uses it for his chillers as well wtf! Lastly there was a lot of smeared shit on the news at the time

But I did some research...also came to places like this and glad I did nearly a year now since quitting for me :) ive also convined a bunch of my work buddies to make the change as well

The single biggest thing that will help vaping is getting government backing unfortunately we are back to political agendas and funding from big tobacco and pharmaceuticals

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I love when those people tell me all your points above, while they have a cigarette in their mouth!
Do what I do-Ignore them and do what you think is best for you!
I know that vaping is at least 95% safer than cigarettes, I have done my research and I decide what is best for me!

dodgestroker451

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
People will believe what the TV tells them to believe. Remember the government, DuPont and the media in the 30s? M*rijuana supposedly turned people into incurable psychopathic murdering rapists. We know it does none of that but newspapers and the radio told people to believe it and they did.

VU Sponsors