Become a Patron!

When should I charge?

Cirenj

Member For 2 Years
Running a Aegis Legend and Samsung 20S batteries and was wondering when I should charge. I'm aware that the mod wont let me overdischarge the batteries, but do I wait until the mod wont fire anymore or what? According to the little battery indicators on the mod, I'm roughly half. Charge now or wait?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Running a Aegis Legend and Samsung 20S batteries and was wondering when I should charge. I'm aware that the mod wont let me overdischarge the batteries, but do I wait until the mod wont fire anymore or what? According to the little battery indicators on the mod, I'm roughly half. Charge now or wait?

I vote charge now. Charge whenever you can. Charging is power, charging is life.

He who controls the Charging controls the universe!

Cirenj

Member For 2 Years
I know they don't have a "memory" like the old alk batteries, I just didn't want to shorten the life of them be either charging too much, or letting them get too close to 3.6v. Throwing them in the charger now!

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer to use mod till the battery cut off and carry a extra set of batteries or two

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know they don't have a "memory" like the old alk batteries, I just didn't want to shorten the life of them be either charging too much, or letting them get too close to 3.6v. Throwing them in the charger now!
batteries can be safely discharged down to 2.5v. 3.7v is the nominal voltage

Cirenj

Member For 2 Years
I prefer to use mod till the battery cut off and carry a extra set of batteries or two
I'm grabbing another set of batteries when I put my next order in for juice, wanted to test the water before I commit to more batteries...lol
(I fly racing drones, I have more LiPo batteries than one person should...I know exactly where you coming from....LOL)

According to my charger (Xstar VC4) they were both down to 3.7v.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm grabbing another set of batteries when I put my next order in for juice, wanted to test the water before I commit to more batteries...lol
(I fly racing drones, I have more LiPo batteries than one person should...I know exactly where you coming from....LOL)

According to my charger (Xstar VC4) they were both down to 3.7v.
Best is to charge when they're around 3.6v, you don't want the batteries to get below 3.0v. With the voltage drop and battery sag letting them go under 3.0v isn't a good idea at all.

This goes for both regulated and for Mech's.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of habit when I used mechs only I recharge at 3.5v or so.... on my regulated mod have the battery cut offset at 3.2 and warning set to trigger when ever volts under load go below 2.9v.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always charge mine when the screen says less than half. I'm scared they would get damaged if I ran them all the way down. Not sure if my worries are valid tho.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I charge batteries when they get depleted most times but in the event I plan on being away from home for a while I might charge a set of 3/4 discharged batteries to make sure I have plenty of power on the go. But I also have USB Charging Ports, 12 V Charging cables and a 110V Power supply in my vehicle if needed. Definitely a Tool Time type of guy here~!

db5b96be-878f-43ee-85c6-f4b136189b9c.png

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
For both mech mods and regulated mods, I charge when the vapor drops out of my preference range. With regulated, mine actually drops the wattage as the batteries lower in voltage. Say I start at 115w I charge when the mod power drops to 80w. It will go lower, buy why bother if the vapor isn't what I like. Same with mech mods, when the vapor drops off, usually around about 3.4v - 3v I charge.

VU Sponsors