Become a Patron!

When to discard a battery ?

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a ton of info on batteries but I have never seen anything about how to determine if it's time to discard a battery. I use 18650's and is there a way to test them to decide when the time has come to quit using them?

Probably a simple question with a simple answer that I don't have :huh:

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stand the battery up, negative end down, on a flat surface, if it stands it is good, if it falls over, bad.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's a ton of info on batteries but I have never seen anything about how to determine if it's time to discard a battery. I use 18650's and is there a way to test them to decide when the time has come to quit using them?

Probably a simple question with a simple answer that I don't have :huh:
The best way is to get a analyzing battery charger that can not only show the total charge the battery is receiving but also the mah capacity of the battery typically when they start wearing out they will not perform as well or not hold total charge their are even more advanced ways that deal with checking cell temperature during charge for common use a analyzing charger is worth the money

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When they are no longer holding decent charge.
When they vent.
When the terminal ends have black spots.

Those are what I go by to toss batteries.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And they don't last nearly as long as they did when new.
Although brand new ones usually need a few cycles to get up to peak...

akuser47

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use a ohm meter and check the voltage after charged when warm then again in 12hours to see if it holds a fresh charge. I had an ohm meter already most can just buy a nice charger that monitors the batteries for them.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best way is to get a analyzing battery charger that can not only show the total charge the battery is receiving but also the mah capacity of the battery typically when they start wearing out they will not perform as well or not hold total charge their are even more advanced ways that deal with checking cell temperature during charge for common use a analyzing charger is worth the money

Thanks to all who replied. I did some searching and found the XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus which appears to be an analyzing charger. I believe it came out late in 2016 and sells for about $80. I currently have an XTAR VP4 that does a good job charging but doesn't offer any analysis or refresh.

Does anyone have the VP4 Plus and would care to offer an opinion if it's worth buying? Or another charger that fits the "analyzing charger" description?

Thanks again.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to all who replied. I did some searching and found the XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus which appears to be an analyzing charger. I believe it came out late in 2016 and sells for about $80. I currently have an XTAR VP4 that does a good job charging but doesn't offer any analysis or refresh.

Does anyone have the VP4 Plus and would care to offer an opinion if it's worth buying? Or another charger that fits the "analyzing charger" description?

Thanks again.
just get a opus 3100 v2 its the best bang for the buck around 40.00

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lots of features for the price for sure. Lots of complaints about the fan noise too. Must not have been an issue for you?
haha the fan is atypical of a high rpm fan I do not put a charger next to my bed stand so no I have no issues think of this would you rather have a fan cooling the chip set in your charger or no fan as most of the basic chargers :) most chargers cannot charge 4 batteries at 1amp so I am damned glad it has a fan

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Thanks again.

Wow, that looks pretty damned good. Full technical review here:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon UK.html

Keep in mind too that if you get it from an authorized dealer like rtdvapor.com or lumensdirect.com (formerly xtardirect) the thing is backed with a 2 year warranty.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

VU Sponsors