Become a Patron!

When to replace coil and cotton?

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read coils can last a long time, uncertain what "long time" actually is... 1 week, 1 month, 12 years etc etc

I notice some juices make the coils gunk up and when I also check is to see if I pull the cotton on one side if it splits in half while I'm the coil then I need to re wick. The way I clean my coils is slowly heat them up till there glowing and strum them with a ceramic piece or screw driver then blow them quickly coooled doing this 3 times seems to work for me and that's with SS coils and kanthal Clapton coils.

If there is an actual exact way of when to change or clean coils and re wick, Post up yeah?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This a coil for a Rebuildable atomizer or something using a replaceable coil head.

In the RBA I would replace the wick when dirty or burned... the coil when damaged or notml performing. Have yet to have a coil wearout........ In the factory type coil after a couple alcohol soak cleanings I guess. Or when the cotton gets burned. Basically when cleaning is ineffective.
If coil cost is an issue i suggest investing in a rebuildable. Since a years supply of wire and cotton can easily cost less than 1 replacement coilhead.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
the basic answer is when it taste funny, remove wick, dry burn the coil (unless it's ni200 or ti wire, then just replace the coil) rinse and wipe it off, rewick with new wick. If you do that and it still taste funny, then replace the coil

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just go by taste. Sometimes I'll get a little leaking first before the taste goes.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I read coils can last a long time, uncertain what "long time" actually is... 1 week, 1 month, 12 years etc etc

I notice some juices make the coils gunk up and when I also check is to see if I pull the cotton on one side if it splits in half while I'm the coil then I need to re wick. The way I clean my coils is slowly heat them up till there glowing and strum them with a ceramic piece or screw driver then blow them quickly coooled doing this 3 times seems to work for me and that's with SS coils and kanthal Clapton coils.

If there is an actual exact way of when to change or clean coils and re wick, Post up yeah?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It's all preference. When it starts tasting bad clean them.
All I do is heat them up bright red/yellow and very carefully water over them. I'll usually just take it off mod really quick then blast then with my sink sprayer.
I'm pretty picking so if I get to the point where I'm doing this every day then I'll change them.
As far as cotton, I change flavors a lot so I change cotton minimum once a day sometimes even twice.
I just go by taste. Sometimes I'll get a little leaking first before the taste goes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been using a 316L (8) wrap 4mm diameter coil with 4 cores for
(4) months.... Yes every week when it taste funny, or burnt flavor, I burn it and run under cold water and leave it Like new, tighten the grub screws and go again......

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been using a 316L (8) wrap 4mm diameter coil with 4 cores for
(4) months.... Yes every week when it taste funny, or burnt flavor, I burn it and run under cold water and leave it Like new, tighten the grub screws and go again......

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk
^^^^This^^^^

Usually replace the rayon every couple weeks, it lasts much longer than cotton and I've never seen it burn in the middle. But I usually always have 5-8 mods going with different flavors, so naturally the wick will last longer.

Been using the same coils in some attys for several months, using the attys daily.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^^This^^^^

Usually replace the rayon every couple weeks, it lasts much longer than cotton and I've never seen it burn in the middle. But I usually always have 5-8 mods going with different flavors, so naturally the wick will last longer.

Been using the same coils in some attys for several months, using the attys daily.
Tampon cotton doesn't work..... I was dared today and it has a flower taste....... Yuk.......

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree with the other posters, you go by taste and performance the coil itself can last a good while with regular cleaning just rewick when it starts to taste bad.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tampon cotton doesn't work..... I was dared today and it has a flower taste....... Yuk.......

Use "Medicine Flower" concentrates, that settles that problem....:)

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gee wonder why.....gotta break those in before using it..

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Avidos

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Oh my gourd, this is ridiculous lol. I thought my dental cotton was `rare` enough, but this is another level of.. hahahaha

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have to chew a bit on that to use it....tampon cotton must be " primed" before use ;)

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have to chew a bit on that to use it....tampon cotton must be " primed" before use ;)

Things we do to win a bet........ I bet you won't you wick, juice and Vape....... Ha ha ha..... Then I asked what bitch ? Then they all laughed and said my wife's Tampon.......

I was Like Fuck........ Ok..... Bring it on...... Well 12 Coronas later......

I'm Vaping on it like I'm in a Vape Comp.........

Sent from my Galaxy Note 7 using Tapatalk

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It will take 12 more to "improve" the flavor..

VU Sponsors