Become a Patron!

When to rewrap a battery

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys! So I finally got my RX200S at the beginning of this month, and it's my first mod with non internal batteries! It works great with my Crown! Now my question here, is when you know you need to rewrap a battery. I've heard some say that if it's just at the negative end, it's fine. Others have said if there's ANY tear at all, just rewrap it. I've noticed one of my Samsung 25R batteries is looking a little bit worn on the top, not torn yet, but a bit worn and scraped. Should I actually wait till there's a tear or should I just rewrap it now? It's a bit worn from being pulled out of the mod and into my external charger and what not. Thanks all!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, as long as there's no danger of exposed battery and any parts of the mod making contact to each other, it should be safe to use.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If there's any metal showing thru the wrap, it should be re-wrapped -- until I learned the proper way to insert the batteries in my miniBooks, all my batts got dings in the wrappers at the top edge, from slamming down so hard into the mod; until I got some battery wraps, I covered those with tape, but it surely was a relief to actually get those damaged batteries re-wrapped, they were almost new!

Wrappers are cheap, and very easy to use, though I've found that I need to trim the wrappers a little, a bit less than a quarter-inch, to get perfect sizing on the batteries (25R's and HE2's). 10-15 seconds with a blowdryer, and bang, new wrapper. Make sure you don't lose the insulator doohickey at the positive end!

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks everyone! I'll probably just be safe and rewrap the first tear I see! You know as well as I do how dangerous our vape batteries CAN be :p

IMO, as long as there's no danger of exposed battery and any parts of the mod making contact to each other, it should be safe to use.

Quick question, since we're all here. Is rotating your batteries in a mod absolutely VITAL? I have been kind of mixing up my Samsung 25Rs just a bit but not really keeping track of which was in which slot last round and such. Is this something you HAVE TO do? Or is it just for good overall cell life? Thanks!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone! I'll probably just be safe and rewrap the first tear I see! You know as well as I do how dangerous our vape batteries CAN be :p

Quick question, since we're all here. Is rotating your batteries in a mod absolutely VITAL? I have been kind of mixing up my Samsung 25Rs just a bit but not really keeping track of which was in which slot last round and such. Is this something you HAVE TO do? Or is it just for good overall cell life? Thanks!

Unless you're using batteries as "married sets", I don't think it's really a strict requirement, but more of a measure to ensure longer life for all your batteries, by not using the same one(s) day in and day out -- plus, after charging, it's a good idea to "rest" them before use, and rotating them around is an easy way to do that.

I always take out yesterday's battery(s) first thing in the morning and get them in the charger, and put in fresh; that way, when the charging is done, I just put the charged batteries in their case, awaiting their next use, so they get at least a 24 hr rest after charging. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to go about it, but that works for me.

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I like to rotate the batteries in my Reuleaux RX200S, just to avoid that a single battery isn't overly stressed, 'cause I do believe that they do get discharged unevenly. Is it VITAL, do you HAVE TO? I don't think so.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since I have multiple sets of batteries for my mods, I would have to write down what was where and I would end up with scraps of paper everywhere. Too much like work. What ever battery in the set I grab first goes into slot 1, etc. Law of averages says they will get rotated.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If the ends get ragged and frayed, re-wrap. If the wrap splits or has a tear, re-wrap. It the top insulator falls off, re-wrap. Battery shrink wrap is dirt cheap. Better safe than sorry.

OpoRoot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
and if you live in GTA there is a store (dash vapes) that will do a re-wrap for you free of charge because damaged wrap is a safety issue

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless you're using batteries as "married sets", I don't think it's really a strict requirement, but more of a measure to ensure longer life for all your batteries, by not using the same one(s) day in and day out -- plus, after charging, it's a good idea to "rest" them before use, and rotating them around is an easy way to do that.

I always take out yesterday's battery(s) first thing in the morning and get them in the charger, and put in fresh; that way, when the charging is done, I just put the charged batteries in their case, awaiting their next use, so they get at least a 24 hr rest after charging. I'm sure there are a lot of ways to go about it, but that works for me.

Andria
I am using just one married set of batteries right now, my only 18650s are Samsung 25R batteries. So it's mostly for cell life and not a safety hazard?

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the ends get ragged and frayed, re-wrap. If the wrap splits or has a tear, re-wrap. It the top insulator falls off, re-wrap. Battery shrink wrap is dirt cheap. Better safe than sorry.
This was my first instinct thought. Just be safe. Glad I was spot on there. Thanks man!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am using just one married set of batteries right now, my only 18650s are Samsung 25R batteries. So it's mostly for cell life and not a safety hazard?

The rotating, nah, not so much. The resting, yes; they need to "settle" after they charge; charging is when they're most volatile -- which is why it's really not good to do "passthru vaping" unless a mod specifically says it's safe to do -- most Innokins permit it; others, not so much. I *have* taken batteries straight from the charger to use in a mod, but not since I got multiple batteries, so I don't need to take the risk.

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The rotating, nah, not so much. The resting, yes; they need to "settle" after they charge; charging is when they're most volatile -- which is why it's really not good to do "passthru vaping" unless a mod specifically says it's safe to do -- most Innokins permit it; others, not so much. I *have* taken batteries straight from the charger to use in a mod, but not since I got multiple batteries, so I don't need to take the risk.

Andria
Wow, I've always pulled em right off the charger and used em right away! That's good to know! I usually vape at about 40 - 50 watts, low for 3 18650s, but I'm glad you mentioned this.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, I've always pulled em right off the charger and used em right away! That's good to know! I usually vape at about 40 - 50 watts, low for 3 18650s, but I'm glad you mentioned this.

Well, I've done it too, when I didn't have many batteries. But risk analysis tells me that a battery venting episode may be somewhat like being struck by lightening, caught in a tornado, or having your house burn down: probably a slim risk, but even once is too much. ;) Any little thing you can do to minimize any of those risks, most people would willingly do; if you have enough batteries that you don't need to take a needless risk... why take it?

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I've done it too, when I didn't have many batteries. But risk analysis tells me that a battery venting episode may be somewhat like being struck by lightening, caught in a tornado, or having your house burn down: probably a slim risk, but even once is too much. ;) Any little thing you can do to minimize any of those risks, most people would willingly do; if you have enough batteries that you don't need to take a needless risk... why take it?

Andria
I may get me a trio of LG HG2s just to have when my Samsungs are dead! Been looking at those batteries! Thanks!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I may get me a trio of LG HG2s just to have when my Samsungs are dead! Been looking at those batteries! Thanks!

LGs are great batteries. I have Samsung 25Rs, and LG HE2's, which have identical specs, but the LGs last just a teensy bit longer. liionwholesale.com seems to have the best prices on LGs, and they send a free battery box with every pair ordered.

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LGs are great batteries. I have Samsung 25Rs, and LG HE2's, which have identical specs, but the LGs last just a teensy bit longer. liionwholesale.com seems to have the best prices on LGs, and they send a free battery box with every pair ordered.

Andria
I'm a firm believer in liionwholesale! I got my Samsungs there, and they were legit! The real deal!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It really would be great if ALL vapers were as concerned about batteries as the folks here, so we could stop seeing those asinine stories about evil malicious ecigs "blowing up" in people's faces. :facepalm: Getting away from the Egos and their cheap ass chargers helps a bit, but now we have to contend with rewraps and Efests and vendors wildly overstating a battery's CDR. And idiot newbies that "wanna blow cloudz bro" using .001 resistance with hybrid mods using rewrapped junk batteries. :facepalm:

Andria

H4X0R46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It really would be great if ALL vapers were as concerned about batteries as the folks here, so we could stop seeing those asinine stories about evil malicious ecigs "blowing up" in people's faces. :facepalm: Getting away from the Egos and their cheap ass chargers helps a bit, but now we have to contend with rewraps and Efests and vendors wildly overstating a battery's CDR. And idiot newbies that "wanna blow cloudz bro" using .001 resistance with hybrid mods using rewrapped junk batteries. :facepalm:

Andria
LOL and they do that too! Just the other day there was a dude on my local news who had his batteries in his mod vent while he was driving! He showed the batteries...... Solid yellow wraps, no branding at all. Generic rewraps most likely. I literally said "well, his fault, he had shitty batteries!" And everyone in the room just starting attacking me LOL "this could happen to you!!!" Haha but so many of these problems are user error! People don't get that!

VU Sponsors