Where do go from here?

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've started out with a coil master coil maker that came with my coil master kit and it's worked great. Now I want to move onto something more difficult. I've purchased a drill, 22g kanthal along with 36 gauge to start making claptons.

So I guess my questions is am I heading on the right direction? Are there any other coils I should make before creating claptons?

Cheers.

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the dark side. We have Cookies

Well i think you're on the right way, there a some Basic techniques you will Need over and over again and combine them in the Future.

But consider that 36GA is very Thin an might be too Hard when trying staggering or Alien.

I think the best combination for learning would be 26GA Core an 32GA for the wraps.

Once mastered, claptoning a single wire is Not that Hard to do.

Try These things with:
- parallel wire
- Single wire claptoning
- twisting your wire
- clapton your Twisted wire if you like

Next steps might be
- claptoning two wires for a Fused clapton

When you feel comortable
- claptoning multi core (be careful Since you got 22GA it might Ohm out very low)
- staggering your clapton, that can be a BIG Pita while learning but is needed for future Advanced builds

- getting the Alien wrap technique down what also is a matter of Patience

You See you have Plenty to practise.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
36g is perfect for learning aliens.
22g is useless to me aside from 2mm alien wrap.
Bulk up on the 26 and 28g.

There is no set of stairs to climb. You make what you want when you can. You learn what you want when you want.
I didn't care about clapton at all. I wanted to make aliens and staples so I did...You'll get great at clapton by doing aliens anyway.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Welcome to the dark side. We have Cookies

Well i think you're on the right way, there a some Basic techniques you will Need over and over again and combine them in the Future.

But consider that 36GA is very Thin an might be too Hard when trying staggering or Alien.

I think the best combination for learning would be 26GA Core an 32GA for the wraps.

Once mastered, claptoning a single wire is Not that Hard to do.

Try These things with:
- parallel wire
- Single wire claptoning
- twisting your wire
- clapton your Twisted wire if you like

Next steps might be
- claptoning two wires for a Fused clapton

When you feel comortable
- claptoning multi core (be careful Since you got 22GA it might Ohm out very low)
- staggering your clapton, that can be a BIG Pita while learning but is needed for future Advanced builds

- getting the Alien wrap technique down what also is a matter of Patience

You See you have Plenty to practise.

Cheers for the info, very useful.

36g is perfect for learning aliens.
22g is useless to me aside from 2mm alien wrap.
Bulk up on the 26 and 28g.

There is no set of stairs to climb. You make what you want when you can. You learn what you want when you want.
I didn't care about clapton at all. I wanted to make aliens and staples so I did...You'll get great at clapton by doing aliens anyway.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

I'll order some 26g and 28g tonight.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I did my first few attempts at an alien with 28 g cores and 38g wrap that's was bloody tough ...learnt a lot though and managed to knock out a decent coil from it

36g wrap with 26g cores will be much easier to work with

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I did my first few attempts at an alien with 28 g cores and 38g wrap that's was bloody tough ...learnt a lot though and managed to knock out a decent coil from it

36g wrap with 26g cores will be much easier to work with

Cheers. I'm gonna attempt my first clapton tomorrow when I get a chance. Wish me well!

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I decided to go with a 24g core with 36g clapton wire after watching squidoods clapton tutorial.

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
am I heading on the right direction?
yes
Are there any other coils I should make before creating claptons?
try everything. there is a 'thing' about every coil or technique. the more 'things' you are familiar with, the more youll understand the bigger picture. knowing how to do something is important, but knowing why to do something is equally important. :mrmiyagiemote:
I'm gonna attempt my first clapton
post your builds :cheers:

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
yes

try everything. there is a 'thing' about every coil or technique. the more 'things' you are familiar with, the more youll understand the bigger picture. knowing how to do something is important, but knowing why to do something is equally important. :mrmiyagiemote:

post your builds :cheers:

Once I get around to making claptons I'll be sure to post them.

VU Sponsors