Become a Patron!

Where do I go from here?

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, so I'm new to all this. I just started making coils last week or so on the Crown deck. I tried lots of different builds and most were more or less usable but I'm still shaky on some basic concepts.

I just got a RDA a few hours ago and couldn't wait to try it out.
It's just a REM style clone.

So, I made dual 26 gauge Kanthal 8-wraps on 3mm inner diameter. .54 Ω ...all gravy, no problems, both coils heat fairly evenly.

I'm using the XCube2, at 30 watts. So, it works I guess, but not great. It makes a little cold flavorless "cloud"

TL;DR-how do I build this thing?
DSCN3298_zpszvdutaxx.jpg

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In addition to the good advice already posted... (in the future) position the air flow to the extent you can, more inline with the coils, even repositioning the coils a bit if you have to. Also, make sure there's clear space underneath the coils; i.e., get any cotton away from under the center of the coils. The space around the coils should be free and clear.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ah, ok. I'll rewick it, in my excitement I was in a rush and just sort of jammed the cotton under there with no space.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ah, ok. I'll rewick it, in my excitement I was in a rush and just sort of jammed the cotton under there with no space.
Should make a discernable difference. Fwiw, Interesting eVic VTC mini crop, for your avatar. If or when you get yourself a Velocity RDA (the clone is very popular), you can have stacked robots. :)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I first started using RDA's it was suggested to me, that I needed a bunch of cotton.

Not so. Enough to fit inside the coil semi-snuggly and drop down to touch the deck (on each side) is all you need. Leaving that space open under the coil, makes it perform better, and you get better flavor.

My rule of thumb is alway less cotton is better, I put in just enough cotton that when I tuck it underneath the end of the strands touch the deck, no more no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks

I center them now, and I position them higher in line with the air slots.

I'm not sure if it's preferable for the coil to be closer to the posts, or further out closer to the air slots? I've been positioning them further out.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Either/or. I tend to position mine close to the posts when I install them, then pull them away to tighten up the slack.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Either/or. I tend to position mine close to the posts when I install them, then pull them away to tighten up the slack.
I do the same, simply because space is a premium for the coils I use typically. As long as they aren't shorting from touching anything you're good and I don't think it really matters. With a smaller build you have the freedom to choose, with bigger builds securing them tight and pulling them away from the posts allows you to maximize the space is all.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should make a discernable difference. Fwiw, Interesting eVic VTC mini crop, for your avatar. If or when you get yourself a Velocity RDA (the clone is very popular), you can have stacked robots. :)

okay, that's looking pretty good to me. I'm just trying to figure out which clone is good, any suggestions?

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sometimes an authentic is called for. Sometimes the price is that good. You can use vapecrawler dot com to search. It doesn't always get every vendor fwiw... The VLS Vector is worth buying, (about $20.00 at Viper Vape). Also the Aeolus Lite is worth it's asking price. Tobeco (afaik) do the best Velocity clones @ Vapenw dot com. But... you have to do your own research. It's part of the process and the 'fun' of it. And lots of good reco's here at VU. Lastly there are a fair number of dirt cheap RDA clones, but it's up to you to know what you're looking for in an RDA. Go at your own pace... Quality is always better than quantity and watch your wallet. It's easy to blow it up once you get sucked in. :)

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, good advice!

I started reading the reviews and feedback on the ones that Fasttech has and figured I'd just ask for an easy answer, but I'll keep reading around. There's lots and lots of chatter around the internet I just wasn't looking forward to reading all of it. Already watched a bunch of Youtube vids on them.
But I'm not in a big hurry, so I'll figure it out. I am looking at the cheap ones, but of course I don't want one that's a total piece of junk.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Fwiw, FastTech is in name only. If you buy there, it will usually take about a month to the USA (don't know where you're located), so keep that in mind. Sometimes the savings isn't worth it.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm in the US. I've ordered from FT before, ship time wasn't too bad. Still waiting for 3Fvape. I just assume a long wait from most China vendors.

I'm looking at the Hastur V2 also, it has velocity type posts, but I sort of like the look of the Velocity.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do my wicking pretty much identical to CrazyChef by the look of it, so I guess that can't be far wrong. Thickness to fill the coil and length to reach the deck, leave as much airflow around the coils as you can. Messing around is part of the fun of using rebuildables.

VU Sponsors