Become a Patron!

Which Are You?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since nearly all vapers are current or former smokers, I believe I can safely assume everyone here has been a smoker. That said, I would like to know, for my own study, whether you are an early or late beginning smoker. This is not merely an "age started" thing, but rather a question of motives. Let me explain these categories a little.
Early- Generally start smoking very young, perhaps under 14, but this age line is not set in stone. The more important thing is why they start. People in this category truly desire to smoke before they start. They see grown-ups blowing out clouds, and wish to do it themselves. There is a certain allure or magic to it. If the desire begins before about age 8, they often develop a smoking fetish via imprinting. I personally like to refer to this group as "magical smokers" or "sensual smokers".
Late- Usually start smoking in high school, but sometimes in jr.high or college. Their given reasons usually include: "Everyone else is doing it" and "I want to fit in". In other words, they begin smoking for purely social reasons; hence, I refer to tese as "practical smokers" or "social smokers". I do realize that "social smokers" is usually used to refer to light and occasional smokers, but humor me for the purpose of this discussion.
The questions- Did you start for sensual or social reasons?
How old were you?
How does this relate to your personality; are you an introvert or extrovert?
How does this relate to your vaping style: are you a "cloud chaser" or a "tootle puffer"? Sub-ohm or eGo? Lung pumper or mouth-to-lung?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll start: I started at age 10 for deep personal sensual reasons that began at the age of 4. I am most definitely an introvert, and a bit of a hermit. I started smoking for the clouds, and started vaping for bigger clouds. I use sub-ohm tanks, high wattage mods, and bottom-to-top lung filling drags. My wife calls me a "smoke dragon".

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Before I answer (if at all), I would like to know the purpose of this study. What do you ultimately hope to find out? Detailed questions with different categories and no specific purpose given for them tend to make me a bit wary coming from people I don't know.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would have to say a sensual smoker. I was 12. Both parents and nearly all my relatives smoked,, it was the thing to do and pretty soon all my friends were doing it too. I quit when I was in my early 30s, for over 15 years but I missed it for every one of those years. And would sneak one when that husband wasn't looking. When that marriage busted up it was my opportunity to start up again. First the stress of it and second, I just really LIKED to smoke (strange as that sounds). Besides, I quit for that bastard and he cheated so F him, gonna do what I want.

Then my dad died of lung cancer. Scared me. Tried all the traditional methods with no success. They'd work for about 3 months but that 3 month mark was always when I'd cave and start again. Enter V2 and a spam email. Cost me a small fortune but ordered one of their kits and haven't smoked since the day I got it in the mail 4 years ago.

I'm MTL, not a cloud chaser, all about the flavor. Used ego twists for the last couple years and now use Eleaf Isticks with Nautilus and GS tanks. I crave the action of smoking, the throat hit. I've dropped my nic to 3 mg and could probably give that part up but really need that throat hit. I DIY my juice so this has become a big hobby. I don't do rebuilding but am thinking about it. Spend way too much time on the juice end of it so don't want to get started with anything else that's going to require more time right now. One never knows though. I don't see me ever giving this up. I enjoy it too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Before I answer (if at all), I would like to know the purpose of this study. What do you ultimately hope to find out? Detailed questions with different categories and no specific purpose given for them tend to make me a bit wary coming from people I don't know.
This study is for myself, personally. If used, it will be in an ongoing argument with some of my anti smoking/vaping psychologist friends. Don't worry or be paranoid, my friend; the anonymity of the 'net will protect you. I'm not publishing this or using anyone's name. Just using the figures, mostly.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you start for sensual or social reasons?
i have adhd and social anxiety. Found smoking helped calm me and made it easier to deal with people.
As such, I liked smoking and generally only smoked while working or driving somewhere. Barely smoked on my days off from work.

How old were you?
Around 16, i'm 34 now. Switched to vaping in sept last year.
Didn't really have any plans to quit smoking, but a coworker who does reviews and helps with some local meets was trying to get me to switch. So one day when I ran out of cigs I decided to buy an ego instead of another pack.

Very introverted.

How does this relate to your vaping style: are you a "cloud chaser" or a "tootle puffer"?
Guess you could say I'm a cloud chaser based on my setup.

Sub-ohm or eGo?
Sub-ohm. Below 0.2 ohms. Usually 0.12 - 0.15

Lung pumper or mouth-to-lung?
Lung hit, just like when I smoked newports.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would have to say a sensual smoker. I was 12. Both parents and nearly all my relatives smoked,, it was the thing to do and pretty soon all my friends were doing it too. I quit when I was in my early 30s, for over 15 years but I missed it for every one of those years. And would sneak one when that husband wasn't looking. When that marriage busted up it was my opportunity to start up again. First the stress of it and second, I just really LIKED to smoke (strange as that sounds). Besides, I quit for that bastard and he cheated so F him, gonna do what I want.

Then my dad died of lung cancer. Scared me. Tried all the traditional methods with no success. They'd work for about 3 months but that 3 month mark was always when I'd cave and start again. Enter V2 and a spam email. Cost me a small fortune but ordered one of their kits and haven't smoked since the day I got it in the mail 4 years ago.

I'm MTL, not a cloud chaser, all about the flavor. Used ego twists for the last couple years and now use Eleaf Isticks with Nautilus and GS tanks. I crave the action of smoking, the throat hit. I've dropped my nic to 3 mg and could probably give that part up but really need that throat hit. I DIY my juice so this has become a big hobby. I don't do rebuilding but am thinking about it. Spend way too much time on the juice end of it so don't want to get started with anything else that's going to require more time right now. One never knows though. I don't see me ever giving this up. I enjoy it too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, Kimber.
So, did you start just because everyone else was doing it, or did you have a deep seated desire for the smoke? You see, you stated that you started smoking sensually, then listed social reasons, or did you mean that while you started for social reasons, you later became a sensual smoker?
Liking, even loving smoking is not strange at all! Societal dogma and media brainwashing simply try to make the love of smoke wrong in your mind to instill a guilt feeling, because the guilt-ridden mind is easier to control.
I also DIY my own ejuice for myself and others, and I don't bother building, either.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you start for sensual or social reasons?
i have adhd and social anxiety. Found smoking helped calm me and made it easier to deal with people.
As such, I liked smoking and generally only smoked while working or driving somewhere. Barely smoked on my days off from work.

How old were you?
Around 16, i'm 34 now. Switched to vaping in sept last year.
Didn't really have any plans to quit smoking, but a coworker who does reviews and helps with some local meets was trying to get me to switch. So one day when I ran out of cigs I decided to buy an ego instead of another pack.

Very introverted.

How does this relate to your vaping style: are you a "cloud chaser" or a "tootle puffer"?
Guess you could say I'm a cloud chaser based on my setup.

Sub-ohm or eGo?
Sub-ohm. Below 0.2 ohms. Usually 0.12 - 0.15

Lung pumper or mouth-to-lung?
Lung hit, just like when I smoked newports.
Thank you, Zaroba.
I actually know a sure-fire cure for ADHD, if you're interested.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If vaping was available when you were at the age you started smoking, and you had a choice back then, would you have ever started smoking? I know I sure wouldn't have! If today's vape gear was available when I was 10, I would have found some way to get at it. I would have been a zero-nic, cloud chasing, chain vaper all my life! I was a cloud loving fiend at the age of 4, but didn't start smoking until 10, when I simply couldn't take it any longer. I just had to breathe clouds. When I started sub-ohm vaping, and saw the same kind of clouds I dreamed about nearly every night at 4-10 years old, I was that kid again! It was like a rebirth experience! Needless to say I quit smoking then and there. If only it was available back then.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL
tumblr_no53faXhJR1tq4of6o1_500_zpsrygbzqd0.gif

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Who inspired you to start vaping/smoking? Some of my earliest memories involve this guy:
300x300.jpg

Dirty Dragon from Gigglesnort Hotel. Oh, how I wanted to to have billowing clouds pouring out of me like that! Almost ironically, DD was technically one of the first vapers back in the 1970s, as he had a stage fogger up his ass blowing pg vape out his mouth and nostrils. Aside from him were many sexy neighbors and distant relatives who had honed their seductive smoking to an art form.
As for vaping proper, it was:
yCAXxZdo.jpg

Maria, AKA Juicyclouds. Seeing one of her videos on youtube got me to delve seriously into researching vaping. I just had to blow clouds like that.
That was over 4 months ago, and now I'm the dirty dragon. HA!

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was young both my parents smoked and it always made me feel sick, especially while in the car. My mom would always warn me never to start because I would get "hooked". I didn't start smoking until I had moved out on my own. I was already drinking and smoking pot but no cigarettes. Then one day hanging out with friends having a few beers I bummed a cigarette because we were out of pot and I wanted to smoke something. I couldn't even finish it before it made me feel sick. But I continued and got " hooked", sorry mom. Years went by and I quit smoking pot, surprisingly very easy, but was clearly addicted to nicotine and I still am. Started vaping in 2009 and haven't smoked since. I didn't have to make clouds because back then clouds weren't possible. I vape to curb the urge.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I was young both my parents smoked and it always made me feel sick, especially while in the car. My mom would always warn me never to start because I would get "hooked". I didn't start smoking until I had moved out on my own. I was already drinking and smoking pot but no cigarettes. Then one day hanging out with friends having a few beers I bummed a cigarette because we were out of pot and I wanted to smoke something. I couldn't even finish it before it made me feel sick. But I continued and got " hooked", sorry mom. Years went by and I quit smoking pot, surprisingly very easy, but was clearly addicted to nicotine and I still am. Started vaping in 2009 and haven't smoked since. I didn't have to make clouds because back then clouds weren't possible. I vape to curb the urge.
Thank you, Kevin.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Just using the figures, mostly.
"Mostly," eh?
uptosumpn.gif

Just kiddin'. I'm an open book, so I don't care.

I would qualify as a "late" smoker, by your definition. Started for social reasons, mostly, at about age 18. My wife says I'm an introvert, so I guess I'm an introvert. I both DI and MTL, both sub-ohm and supra-ohm.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think my first real experience with smoking was at the age of 12. Some of my friends were smoking, showed me how to inhale and I got hooked instantly on that buzz. My mom smoked, my dad smoked cigars. At that time, I was able to buy my mom's cigarettes, which made it easier for me to smoke then, too. Now, if Mom had been vaping, that might sway my thinking here, but everyone around me was smoking, so I can't fairly say I'd have chosen a vape.

With the choice I have today, I choose vape.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think my first real experience with smoking was at the age of 12. Some of my friends were smoking, showed me how to inhale and I got hooked instantly on that buzz. My mom smoked, my dad smoked cigars. At that time, I was able to buy my mom's cigarettes, which made it easier for me to smoke then, too. Now, if Mom had been vaping, that might sway my thinking here, but everyone around me was smoking, so I can't fairly say I'd have chosen a vape.

With the choice I have today, I choose vape.
Thanks for your input, madamme.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started at 14, never had a store refuse to sell me cigarettes. I would of probably started to vape instead if the option was there. My Dad smoked a Pipe, my Mom smoked cigarettes. My Dad eventually quit, but ended up dipping snuff every now and again. It took a series of major medical issues including a pacemaker implant for my Mom to quit. This was before I knew vaping existed.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hers the answer I tried smoking I got high off of Nicotine.. its as simple as that and now I am a nicotine addict
But before you tried it, did you have an internal desire or reason, or was it more a spur of the moment thing.
By the way, I recently read a study about anatabine being implicated as the actual addictive alkaloid in tobacco; if it turns out to be the case, then I'd say you've already overcome any physical addiction, since you won't get any anatabine vaping unless you vape wta. So a tentative "Good on you, mate!"

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"Mostly," eh?
uptosumpn.gif

Just kiddin'. I'm an open book, so I don't care.

I would qualify as a "late" smoker, by your definition. Started for social reasons, mostly, at about age 18. My wife says I'm an introvert, so I guess I'm an introvert. I both DI and MTL, both sub-ohm and supra-ohm.
Thank you, Jim.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started at 14, never had a store refuse to sell me cigarettes. I would of probably started to vape instead if the option was there. My Dad smoked a Pipe, my Mom smoked cigarettes. My Dad eventually quit, but ended up dipping snuff every now and again. It took a series of major medical issues including a pacemaker implant for my Mom to quit. This was before I knew vaping existed.
Thanks, Zam.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started young, more to be "cool" than anything else, then before I knew it I was hooked. Being 14 years old and getting a jones for a cigarette at 3 am was just my reality back then. I played sports and did well, but could of done better with more "wind". As for being sensual, I doubt it. Oral fixation, yes as I explored my cravings and needs when I tried unsuccessfully to quit dozens of times. My last time trying to quit cigarettes I used Chantix. That stuff is pure evil. I ended up having hallucinations with Dinosaurs fighting in my back yard. Pretty terrifying stuff actually. Once I began to vape, the cigarette craving disappeared. Over the past few years I've dropped my nicotine level form 36mg/ml to 6mg/ml.

The flavoring compounds used by cigarette manufactures are carefully designed alkaloid mixtures, designed to make the cigarette brand taste the same from batch to batch and more importantly boost the addictive properties of the cigarette. This is not earth shattering news, former big tobacco chemists have been saying this for years, their legal testimony mostly squelched due to the threat of lawsuits by their former employers for breaking confidentiality clauses in their employment contracts.

Last edited:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There is no doubt... I would have been an ecig user.

Right after college, I had turned half my kitchen into a "lab" for liquor/liqueur production. Average stock was 25 flavors. It would have been wayyyy to easy for me to make a bottle of juice alongside every bottle of vodka/schnapps. It would have gotten really out of hand.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is no doubt... I would have been an ecig user.

Right after college, I had turned half my kitchen into a "lab" for liquor/liqueur production. Average stock was 25 flavors. It would have been wayyyy to easy for me to make a bottle of juice alongside every bottle of vodka/schnapps. It would have gotten really out of hand.
Thanks for responding. I, too, used to have a "flavor lab" going in my house when I would process my own cigarette tobacco and shisha. ...good times. Now it's dozens of ejuice flavours.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started young, more to be "cool" than anything else, then before I knew it I was hooked. Being 14 years old and getting a jones for a cigarette at 3 am was just my reality back then. I played sports and did well, but could of done better with more "wind". As for being sensual, I doubt it. Oral fixation, yes as I explored my cravings and needs when I tried unsuccessfully to quit dozens of times. My last time trying to quit cigarettes I used Chantix. That stuff is pure evil. I ended up having hallucinations with Dinosaurs fighting in my back yard. Pretty terrifying stuff actually. Once I began to vape, the cigarette craving disappeared. Over the past few years I've dropped my nicotine level form 36mg/ml to 6mg/ml.

The flavoring compounds used by cigarette manufactures are carefully designed alkaloid mixtures, designed to make the cigarette brand taste the same from batch to batch and more importantly boost the addictive properties of the cigarette. This is not earth shattering news, former big tobacco chemists have been saying this for years, their legal testimony mostly squelched due to the threat of lawsuits by their former employers for breaking confidentiality clauses in their employment contracts.
Thank you for your input; I particularly liked the dinosaurs. Still chuckling. Yes, SSRIs are bad news. When I took zoloft years ago, I forgot how to tie my shoes and would draw a blank if asked my name. That sucked.
I know all about some of those compounds and combinations in cigarettes from when I used to process my own cigarette tobacco. I used to love fiddling about with them to get certain effects from my smoke. One time I made an antiemetic blend that would all but cure indigestion. Have you heard about the investigation into anatabine, yet?

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started smoking at 18. My dad smoked all his life. He died early at 48 years old of a sudden heart attack from a 30 year up to 2 pack a day habit. I was 24 then. I only smoked for about 6 months though and quit cold turkey but would still just have the apparent urge from time to time.

Fast forward to age 32. After all I knew about smoking and even knowing it killed my father and of course I should know better I started again. Was going through a nasty divorce and a lot of other crap at the time. I went out and bought a pack just to ease the stress. Was a pretty easy habit to pick back up again. I told myself I'd quite in 6 months, then a year, then 6 more months, then I just didn't want to quit. I enjoyed smoking. 11 years later and a pack or more a day I had higher blood pressure, (not dangerous high, but always high). I would cough and hack like crazy in the morning. I knew what it was doing to my body. I knew I should quit but also knew I enjoyed it and didn't want to.

So at the age of 43 my wife had had enough and made me go to vape store with her. 2 weeks later I was off the stinkies and vaping. That's been 2 years ago. I vape quite a bit, not going to lie. But blood pressure is always normal (wife is an EMT and has the stuff to check it). I don't cough anymore. I don't get heartburn near as often as I used to. I feel a lot better too. Down to 3 or 2mg nicotine. (diy my own juice).

Strictly a lung inhaler now, MTL seems so foreign. Usually "sub ohm" but with tanks usually. Clouds can be cool once in awhile, but I mainly vape because I enjoy it. I think that's why it was so easy to quit smoking. There are so many similarities. The inhale/exhale. Hand to mouth, nicotine, etc.

I'm definitely an introvert at first when meeting new people but open up a lot more once I'm comfortable and get to know anyone.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I, too, used to have a "flavor lab" going in my house when I would process my own cigarette tobacco and shisha. ...good times. Now it's dozens of ejuice flavours.

So I talked to our local vape wizard two days ago, regarding natural flavors. His opinion was that PG and bit of heat could be as effective as ethanol for pulling flavors out of actual things (cloves, vanilla, cardamom, etc).

I sort-of brought this up in another thread, but wanted your thoughts. Not sure if you're dealing with anything other than retail extracts/concentrates.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A few people have tried getting threads started about extracts, but anyone with enough experience with those to keep a thread going... they're not posting :( Would be awesome to have info on that process. Good luck!

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
but anyone with enough experience with those to keep a thread going... they're not posting

If I'm allowed to ask a favor... paste a thread link here. Any specific one you'd want me to use. Or tell me to start a new thread. I have a strong aversion to retail extracts, but I wouldn't mind adding to the knowledge base on DIY natural stuff. I have enough PG on hand right now to start a batch of something today. Just need a little motivation.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I'm allowed to ask a favor... paste a thread link here. Any specific one you'd want me to use. Or tell me to start a new thread. I have a strong aversion to retail extracts, but I wouldn't mind adding to the knowledge base on DIY natural stuff. I have enough PG on hand right now to start a batch of something today. Just need a little motivation.
I'll see what I can dig up, but by all means, if you'd like to start your own, feel free. I'll reply once I find things.

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started late, at about 22. Mainly for social reasons I guess, started with just smoking on parties etc. but that quickly evolved in a smoking habit.
I am 43 now, and have been vaping for about 4-5 months.
I would describe myself as somewhere between introvert and extrovert, I am not socially hampered or shy or anything, but neither am I the biggest talker, but I do speak my mind when it's called for, and can handle myself perfectly in most social settings.
I am a MTL-er, both in TC and on Kanthal at about 13W, I am a flavour chaser and like medium clouds. I am not into the sub-ohm/cloudchaser thingee.

and no this is not a dating add :D

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
f you'd like to start your own, feel free.

For now, I'll simply start a batch of something. Coriander can have the flavor profile of Fruit Loops, so I'll crush some of that and dump it in PG.

Interesting fact: You can only steep cinnamon sticks. Ground cinnamon turns into a gel and is impossible to strain, even using Everclear.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started smoking at 18. My dad smoked all his life. He died early at 48 years old of a sudden heart attack from a 30 year up to 2 pack a day habit. I was 24 then. I only smoked for about 6 months though and quit cold turkey but would still just have the apparent urge from time to time.

Fast forward to age 32. After all I knew about smoking and even knowing it killed my father and of course I should know better I started again. Was going through a nasty divorce and a lot of other crap at the time. I went out and bought a pack just to ease the stress. Was a pretty easy habit to pick back up again. I told myself I'd quite in 6 months, then a year, then 6 more months, then I just didn't want to quit. I enjoyed smoking. 11 years later and a pack or more a day I had higher blood pressure, (not dangerous high, but always high). I would cough and hack like crazy in the morning. I knew what it was doing to my body. I knew I should quit but also knew I enjoyed it and didn't want to.

So at the age of 43 my wife had had enough and made me go to vape store with her. 2 weeks later I was off the stinkies and vaping. That's been 2 years ago. I vape quite a bit, not going to lie. But blood pressure is always normal (wife is an EMT and has the stuff to check it). I don't cough anymore. I don't get heartburn near as often as I used to. I feel a lot better too. Down to 3 or 2mg nicotine. (diy my own juice).

Strictly a lung inhaler now, MTL seems so foreign. Usually "sub ohm" but with tanks usually. Clouds can be cool once in awhile, but I mainly vape because I enjoy it. I think that's why it was so easy to quit smoking. There are so many similarities. The inhale/exhale. Hand to mouth, nicotine, etc.

I'm definitely an introvert at first when meeting new people but open up a lot more once I'm comfortable and get to know anyone.
I, also, am a sub-ohm tank user, and make my own ejuice. I was a very heavy smoker, usually 4.5 packs a day, and once, on a binge, I smoked 12 packs in 16 hours to see just how much I could take. However, I didn't believe i was addicted, and was able to go without for up to 18 months at a time on a whim, but I never truly counted these times as quitting, just a break. I mean, I love nicotine and its cognitive effects, but addicted- never. But clouds, aye, there's my soft spot. I was practically born a cloud chaser. I would add things to my handrolling tobacco to make the smoke thicker. I made myself multiple cigarette holders that allowed me to smoke from 7 to 19 cigarettes simultaneously so I could fill myself completely and cloud a room in one go. When RDAs came along, my interest was peaked, but I was still a little leery of vaping. Finally, when sub-ohm tanks became affordable, I was all over that shit. My first try was a dream come true (literally). I haven't smoked since, yet I still don't think of it as "quitting" as much as "trading up".

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started late, at about 22. Mainly for social reasons I guess, started with just smoking on parties etc. but that quickly evolved in a smoking habit.
I would describe myself as somewhere between introvert and extrovert, I am not socially hampered or shy or anything, but neither am I the biggest talker, but I do speak my mind when it's called for, and can handle myself perfectly in most social settings.
I am a MTL-er, both in TC and on Kanthal at about 13W, I am a flavour chaser and like medium clouds. I am not into the sub-ohm/cloudchaser thingee.

Which do you find yourself craving more, being amongst good friends (2 or more), or being alone? This will tell if you are an extrovert or introvert, respectively. I am an introvert, yet I have no problem speaking or performing in front of large audiences. It's not about fears, but rather desires.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

He is an enemy agent sent here to gather all YOUR data as they recognize your global importance and the threat your massive intelligence poses (and I do mean poses) to the world at large.

As for myself, started @ 22 after smoking a pipe that my co-workers got me. Iwas the youngest, and the boss, and they called me the "Old Man", and gave me the pipe. It was inconvienient though, so after a while, I started on cigs. Still have the pipe though.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He is an enemy agent sent here to gather all YOUR data as they recognize your global importance and the threat your massive intelligence poses (and I do mean poses) to the world at large.

As for myself, started @ 22 after smoking a pipe that my co-workers got me. Iwas the youngest, and the boss, and they called me the "Old Man", and gave me the pipe. It was inconvienient though, so after a while, I started on cigs. Still have the pipe though.
Thank you, Wolf.
I like your snappy retort at Mr. Bean. I got a good chuckle from that. You want to hear a really funny coincidence? (this will probably floor poor dear Beanie) I actually am an honorary member of the Illuminati, yes, the real one. I could never really join, though, as I cannot agree completely with the view that the entire universe can be boiled down to Pythagorean mathematics.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I began early as a social smoker, and ended as a sensual smoker.

Both of my folks smoked (dad died at 68 from smoking related heart disease, mom is 74 and still smokes like a freight train...she doesn't like to vape).

I started @12 yrs old, and smoked for 26 years. The only time I'd ever quit smoking was during a 9 month period while being treated for Hodgkin's lymphoma. During that time, not a day went by that I didn't want a cigarette. 3 months after my treatments were over, I started smoking again.

I truly enjoyed smoking. It was my own little "reward" system for accomplishing tasks, or breaks for time to think, or just talking with people and making friends at "the smoke shack". What I hated was how smoking made me feel in the mornings, and how it made me smell (I never realized how bad THAT was until I quit for 9 months).

Vaping is the only thing I've ever found that freed me from the dangers of smoking while maintaining the joy from the act itself.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Laughed out loud, I did.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I talked to our local vape wizard two days ago, regarding natural flavors. His opinion was that PG and bit of heat could be as effective as ethanol for pulling flavors out of actual things (cloves, vanilla, cardamom, etc).

I sort-of brought this up in another thread, but wanted your thoughts. Not sure if you're dealing with anything other than retail extracts/concentrates.
Well, I still make several extracts from scratch, but most of what I've been doing lately just involves commercially available extracts, aroma molecules, essential oils, and lab grade chemical salts/reagents.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You crack me up, Hasher! It reads like you're trying to hit on Berrygirl, there! I like you, man! Too bad I can't add about a dozen more likes on this post.

msrfrog

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I smoked from 14 to 35 and have been vaping almost three years now. When I started I was Hooke after the first cig and was really easy for a kid to smoke then. A pack of cheap ones was $1.50 so you could always scratch up some change and get a pack. In my thirties I started to feel the bad effects and decided to try vaping. Good thing because I feel great now and lost a lot of weight also.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Oh, I forgot to tell you: some things can be extracted both ways for different results. For example, cloves extracted in ethanol will yield eugenol, the numbing/insecticide agent, along with the flavorants, whereas when glycol is used you only get flavor, and little to no eugenol. Be careful and know what you are after in extraction.

VU Sponsors