Become a Patron!

Which Are You?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
resized_creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-you-must-be-insane-but-please-go-on-3fa72b.jpg
Good one, Z.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No reason to take anything out of sorts, but at least the facts are there for everyone to make there own judgment and all your questions are in one place.
Best of luck doc and uglug
You like Uglug? I've got a bunch more. I used to use one named Grimbol on ECF. I left that shithole when the moderators started abusing Karen.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those who have experienced it. Their opinion is pretty much unanimous.

That "stuffed shirt " would be Abraham Maslo, and he merely pointed the way.

Actually, that would be individuation, not actuation. Individuation is a much loftier goal, and harder to achieve, so if that is what you are after, then I am much more impressed with you than if you were after actuation. Any old asshole can eventually actuate, but it takes a spiritual giant of a man to individuate! My hat's off to you, bean. You're looking within like a boss!

I've never, in all my inner or outer journeys, found critical thought to be a hindrance in any way. Since you have taken the path of individuation, you must understand that critical thought is your main line of defense against an onslaught of psychospiritual dangers out there. "There is no such thing as wasted time." -Jim Henson Much like room for Jello, there is always time for clear, critical thinking. And please, for the love of fuck, bean, drop the "just be" taoist crap. It's good to understand and all, but that shit will melt you away into oneness and collectivism. Stick to the path you're on, man; it's not easy, but it will set you free!
Perhaps I should be more clear. The goal is not simply to think. You can think all you want, but if you don't do anything about it, it is a waste of time. The goal should be to think until you figure out what direction you want to be in, and then do something about it. Critical thinking can be a great tool, but I know too many people who think and never do or try to be what they think. They neither express nor live out any intent or purpose to their thinking. My goal is to be what I think. If you're not trying to be what you think, then all thinking is a hindrance. At least that is my opinion. I have always been focused on my individual self from a very early age. Only in the last few years did income to realize that thoughts should be reflected by action and a state of being. This is what I mean by trying to be. If your thinking is not reflected by a state of being, it is a complete waste of time not only for you but for everyone around you because you could stop wasting time (not you personally I mean anybody) thinking about things you have no intention of becoming or doing anything about, and focus on other priorities and actually solve problems. My brother is a perfect example. He is always criticizing me because I generally don't care about things I can't control. He is always preaching to me (not in the religious sense, he is an atheist and a materialist) about fixing all the world's problems, but he rarely lifts a finger to solve anyone's problems but his own, yet I'm the bad guy because I believe it's better to prioritize the problems I can control rather than waste time thinking and worrying about problems that I don't possess the ability to solve. But hey, lets just think about it and care about it but not do anything about it because that makes us better than everyone else and you're a stupid moron if you don't care about every single problem anywhere even though you can't do a thing about it and don't bother focusing on the problems you can fix because the ones you can't are more important.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The questions- Did you start for sensual or social reasons?
How old were you?
How does this relate to your personality; are you an introvert or extrovert?
How does this relate to your vaping style: are you a "cloud chaser" or a "tootle puffer"? Sub-ohm or eGo? Lung pumper or mouth-to-lung?

Doc. Stop polling and get back to the lab. We have extracts to figure out. Science and math.

--I was 17 when I tried my first cigarette. Smoked one infrequently after that, until I was 24.
--Nothing about me is sensual.
--I'm an anti-social extrovert. No, really.
--No way I will admit to being something called a "tootle puffer."
--I blow mad clouds. But I don't mean to. It's just a byproduct of this silly habit.
--Sub-ohm.
--Direct-lung.

(I didn't read anything in this thread but the first post. Probably missed a bunch of stuff.)

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whiskey knows I only brought up the Illuminati to mess with bean's head.
I dont fear the Illuminati. I have not studied them enough to be certain exactly what they are in present day, but I do not believe they are what everyone thinks they are. Given the fact that they are so open about themselves, its highly unlikely that they are some sort of shadow conspiracy group that people think they are. I don't really care to discuss them much at all, because they simply are not on my radar.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doc. Stop polling and get back to the lab. We have extracts to figure out. Science and math.

--I was 17 when I tried my first cigarette. Smoked one infrequently after that, until I was 24.
--Nothing about me is sensual.
--I'm an anti-social extrovert. No, really.
--No way I will admit to being something called a "tootle puffer."
--I blow mad clouds. But I don't mean to. It's just a byproduct of this silly habit.
--Sub-ohm.
--Direct-lung.

(I didn't read anything in this thread but the first post. Probably missed a bunch of stuff.)
Thank you, oh Lost one.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont fear the Illuminati. I have not studied them enough to be certain exactly what they are in present day, but I do not believe they are what everyone thinks they are. Given the fact that they are so open about themselves, its highly unlikely that they are some sort of shadow conspiracy group that people think they are. I don't really care to discuss them much at all, because they simply are not on my radar.
Well, maybe they should be, Bean. Go check them out: www.illuminatiofficial.org You may pick up a few things you haven't thought of, yet.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perhaps I should be more clear. The goal is not simply to think. You can think all you want, but if you don't do anything about it, it is a waste of time. The goal should be to think until you figure out what direction you want to be in, and then do something about it. Critical thinking can be a great tool, but I know too many people who think and never do or try to be what they think. They neither express nor live out any intent or purpose to their thinking. My goal is to be what I think. If you're not trying to be what you think, then all thinking is a hindrance. At least that is my opinion. I have always been focused on my individual self from a very early age. Only in the last few years did income to realize that thoughts should be reflected by action and a state of being. This is what I mean by trying to be. If your thinking is not reflected by a state of being, it is a complete waste of time not only for you but for everyone around you because you could stop wasting time (not you personally I mean anybody) thinking about things you have no intention of becoming or doing anything about, and focus on other priorities and actually solve problems. My brother is a perfect example. He is always criticizing me because I generally don't care about things I can't control. He is always preaching to me (not in the religious sense, he is an atheist and a materialist) about fixing all the world's problems, but he rarely lifts a finger to solve anyone's problems but his own, yet I'm the bad guy because I believe it's better to prioritize the problems I can control rather than waste time thinking and worrying about problems that I don't possess the ability to solve. But hey, lets just think about it and care about it but not do anything about it because that makes us better than everyone else and you're a stupid moron if you don't care about every single problem anywhere even though you can't do a thing about it and don't bother focusing on the problems you can fix because the ones you can't are more important.
I'll get to this all later, Bean. Right now I have to cook supper. Whole lot of good stuff going on here.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Apparently I missed a lot. This was the freaking post we were talking in yesterday. WTH. Sorry Doc.

I've never heard of that before, and for the life of me i cannot see where it's necessary.
Yeah, after a half-hearted search, I can't find anyone else saying that it's necessary to add nic to PG before dumping on spice. I'm just going to be a rebel and go against advice. Need to get this batch started.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Apparently I missed a lot. This was the freaking post we were talking in yesterday. WTH. Sorry Doc.

Yeah, after a half-hearted search, I can't find anyone else saying that it's necessary to add nic to PG before dumping on spice. I'm just going to be a rebel and go against advice. Need to get this batch started.
I've never heard to add nic first. If it were me, I wouldn't.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know too many people who think and never do or try to be what they think. They neither express nor live out any intent or purpose to their thinking. My goal is to be what I think. If you're not trying to be what you think, then all thinking is a hindrance.
My wife and I refer to these people as cogs (in the world's machine), and to them, thinking is a hindrance. The best they can hope for is to, in the words of John Lennon: "lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void", and melt away into the oneness of the All. For most, this is a beautiful thing.

I have always been focused on my individual self from a very early age.
Me, too.

thoughts should be reflected by action and a state of being. This is what I mean by trying to be.
This is not being; it is becoming. "Being" is passive (no change); "becoming" is active, as in becoming your thought.

My brother is a perfect example. He is always criticizing me because I generally don't care about things I can't control. He is always preaching to me (not in the religious sense, he is an atheist and a materialist) about fixing all the world's problems, but he rarely lifts a finger to solve anyone's problems but his own, yet I'm the bad guy because I believe it's better to prioritize the problems I can control rather than waste time thinking and worrying about problems that I don't possess the ability to solve. But hey, lets just think about it and care about it but not do anything about it because that makes us better than everyone else and you're a stupid moron if you don't care about every single problem anywhere even though you can't do a thing about it and don't bother focusing on the problems you can fix because the ones you can't are more important.
The cares of this world are a trap, my friend. A trap to keep you in your place. A trap to keep you from...I believe you know the rest of this sentence, Bean.

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I about spewed vegetable juice everywhere laughing! I wish those assholes were paying me, they can afford it! And yes, they are quite real. They have a website and everything. So do the masons. It's not like they're hiding. They are actually pretty good guys, and they are happy to answer any questions, unless you're some kind of hostile, foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

P.S. regarding multiple accounts: Karebear really is my wife, Karen.
Yep, been married for 17 years.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know that if I posted this on ECF, I would be banned sofa king fast my head would spin, just for having asked a question. This place seems to me to be way more relaxed and secure, though. Of course, we all know the ECF mantra by now: "Vaping is only for quitting smoking, and is never allowed to be fun in any way. We should all feel guilty about being weak, pathetic addicts because the Great Box (TV) told us so. Cloud chasers are the devil; they are helping the antis take our fix away. How dare they enjoy vaping. You must believe all scaremongering of any advocacy group, no matter how ridiculous their claims. Nonsmokers and minors (even if they already smoke) are not allowed. Questioning the ECF cult mantra is not allowed; this, and other thought crimes, will be punished with banishment and branding the offender 'not a real vaper'."

Well then, on to the question at hand, since we're in a free forum which still values freedom of opinion: Kids and vaping: how do you feel?

I'll go first. I am totally cool with it under 2 conditions: 1) parental permission, and 2) safe equipment. I would hesitate to add a third, being zero nic only, but my libertine views prevent it. I totally agree with regulating tobacco, as it contains a harmful cocktail of alkaloids, and cigarettes especially, as they are practically designed to ruin you and milk out all your money, but nicotine in and of itself should be left alone. Its benefits to humanity far outweigh its risks. In fact, I would go so far as to say it may well be the greatest mental wonder drug ever discovered by mankind. It sure helped me when I was a kid. Nicotine helped me to become the person I am today in a major way, and I absolutely love being me. So, how about you, gang?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know that if I posted this on ECF, I would be banned sofa king fast my head would spin, just for having asked a question. This place seems to me to be way more relaxed and secure, though. Of course, we all know the ECF mantra by now: "Vaping is only for quitting smoking, and is never allowed to be fun in any way. We should all feel guilty about being weak, pathetic addicts because the Great Box (TV) told us so. Cloud chasers are the devil; they are helping the antis take our fix away. How dare they enjoy vaping. You must believe all scaremongering of any advocacy group, no matter how ridiculous their claims. Nonsmokers and minors (even if they already smoke) are not allowed. Questioning the ECF cult mantra is not allowed; this, and other thought crimes, will be punished with banishment and branding the offender 'not a real vaper'."

Well then, on to the question at hand, since we're in a free forum which still values freedom of opinion: Kids and vaping: how do you feel?

I'll go first. I am totally cool with it under 2 conditions: 1) parental permission, and 2) safe equipment. I would hesitate to add a third, being zero nic only, but my libertine views prevent it. I totally agree with regulating tobacco, as it contains a harmful cocktail of alkaloids, and cigarettes especially, as they are practically designed to ruin you and milk out all your money, but nicotine in and of itself should be left alone. Its benefits to humanity far outweigh its risks. In fact, I would go so far as to say it may well be the greatest mental wonder drug ever discovered by mankind. It sure helped me when I was a kid. Nicotine helped me to become the person I am today in a major way, and I absolutely love being me. So, how about you, gang?
Personally, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be permitted to do it just for the sake of doing it, and certainly not with the sole intention of being "cool." But we all know there are underage cigarette smokers, kids are gonna do whatever they want to do. They'll sneak and smoke, drink, get high, whatever, because proper parenting went out the window a long time ago. But if it were a choice between having an underage smoker and an underage vaper, I'd certainly rather see them safely vaping.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be permitted to do it just for the sake of doing it, and certainly not with the sole intention of being "cool." But we all know there are underage cigarette smokers, kids are gonna do whatever they want to do. They'll sneak and smoke, drink, get high, whatever, because proper parenting went out the window a long time ago. But if it were a choice between having an underage smoker and an underage vaper, I'd certainly rather see them safely vaping.
Thank you, teresa. But should permission fall onto responsible, informed parents (they do still exist), or onto government?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, wait a minute. If I posted something totally unrelated to this thread, would it get merged here just because I posted it? At the risk of sounding paranoid, am I being singled out, here? I mean, nothing in this thread could even remotely be considered advocacy, yet that is where this thread has been moved, and every new thread i start gets merged here. Just curious, but is "other advocacy" some largely unread backwater catchall forum for undisirables' posts? I realize most personal information about myself sounds pretty far-fetched, but I assure you it's all true, if a little embellished for colour and interest. The questions I ask are mainly for myself, to satisfy my genuine curiosity. The only thing that I use the information for besides that are discussions and intellectual debates in my personal, offline life. Someone mentioned multiple accounts here, and if you'll check my IP number, you'll see there are only 2 accounts, my wife's and my own. I am not Bean(random numbers) or anyone else, and who the hell is barney? This is the first account I've ever had on VU. I don't normally join forums online, even though I have much to offer. I realize that I am different, strange, and a bit foreign to most folks. I've spent my whole life being singled out and persecuted; that just comes with the territory when you're a polymath (this is not bragging, but a statement of fact). My wife talked me into coming on here to answer some questions about DIY after she reposted some of my notes I had previously posted on ECF the last time she talked me into a forum. She said this was a friendlier forum, where people don't get abused for being a little different. At ECF, I stuck to DIY information, but here, I thought that I would satisfy my own curiosities, and perhaps open up a little more. I should have known better than to ever reveal anything about my IRL self. That always leads to trouble, even in real life. Know that I am not hurt in the least by any of this, as I decide how I feel. I am merely curious. It seems there is something going on here that I'm not privy to, perhaps something that happened before I joined?

Last edited:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I hate to come across as paranoid, but am I being singled out, here?

Hey Doc. I'd like to offer a suggestion.
The site says this is your fourth day as member here, 125 posts. Take a tiny step back for a bit. Most of what is concerning you, or puzzling you, should become clearer through osmosis, just by hanging out on the forum and reading. Give it another week or two.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Doc. I'd like to offer a suggestion.
The site says this is your fourth day as member here, 125 posts. Take a tiny step back for a bit. Most of what is concerning you, or puzzling you, should become clearer through osmosis, just by hanging out on the forum and reading. Give it another week or two.
Thanks, LH. I must admit I'm kind of new to this. The only forums I've been on before this year were all academic forums. There, everyone was a bit more like myself. I also have to admit that it's been a long time since I've dealt with anyone who didn't have at least one doctorate and an IQ of 160+ except family and old friends, who all understand/overlook me. I was never allowed to play with the "normal" kids when I was young. My parents thought that kind of contact would "bring me down to their level". maybe that's part of the problem, or even the root of it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, my IQ is over 160, but that has nothing to do with forming an opinion about the subject. Quite frankly, I've reached my Peter Principle on quite a few subjects.... ;)
In order to place responsibility and judgment on the parents, one must first determine if said parents are capable of making sound judgment calls for themselves and that would be an impossible task. And it's common knowledge that many inept "parents" either don't know what their children are doing and/or don't care. In cases like this it's wise for government regulation to step in and set restrictions. It's easier just to set guidelines for all and adhere to them.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So basically, you're saying we are all dumbasses....
Thanks for clarifying.

If you read around like @LostHasher suggested you would be surprised
No, Firebird. you're just as smart, just focused in another direction than my usual contacts, that's all. While academics have their degrees, awards, etc., they are generally no fun to be with. Everyone continually develops, just in different facets. You learned to be an astute investigator, and I'm certain there's many other skills and expertise you have. They learned physics, social science, etc., yet can't even change a tire. Kind of one trick ponies. I learned ancient spiritual and magical secrets, but my parents and mentors wanted me to be more "well rounded", so I wouldn't be like other academics. truth be told, I'd rather spend an afternoon with anyone I've met on this forum than any of my professional contacts. I know I can come across as an intellectual snob, but I really don't mean to. Sorry, Bird.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
maybe that's part of the problem

Since you're new to this...
You simply haven't been here long enough to gain the proper perspective on what's here, who the people are, or how the forum works.

Also, think about what you're offering, the time frame in which you offered it, and how this can all be perceived. Right off the bat... a lot of info, questions and personal sharing. And please embrace the irony that you use a picture of a troll as your avatar.

Suggestion:
Log out and then start reading. Ten hours minimum. If you have to, use a Word document to take notes and paste links to random threads you feel compelled to reply to later. If you cave early and log in, mission not accomplished. Trust me, you will not regret doing this.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No, Firebird. you're just as smart, just focused in another direction than my usual contacts, that's all. While academics have their degrees, awards, etc., they are generally no fun to be with. Everyone continually develops, just in different facets. You learned to be an astute investigator, and I'm certain there's many other skills and expertise you have. They learned physics, social science, etc., yet can't even change a tire. Kind of one trick ponies. I learned ancient spiritual and magical secrets, but my parents and mentors wanted me to be more "well rounded", so I wouldn't be like other academics. truth be told, I'd rather spend an afternoon with anyone I've met on this forum than any of my professional contacts. I know I can come across as an intellectual snob, but I really don't mean to. Sorry, Bird.
Here's your problem. Its quite simple- you don't know any of us.
You did not take the time to, yet are forming judgments. I may be a very gifted investigator; and, exceptional judge of character. I can also predict most peoples next move(part of being an investigator). However, i also hold several other merits that most people who have been members here have picked up over time. I may not have PHD after my name, but, enough other academic credentials and initials to equate to it.- in scientific fields.
But, that is no way a judgement on anyone's personality or character traits.
The best part of this forum is that we are all left with our personality and the traits that accompany it, academic credentials are about as important as what color socks you're wearing here. Content of character and helpfulness is what is important here. Again spend some time and start getting to know people.
A word of caution, quit putting empirical numbers on people or you may find yourself having a lonely time here.

Last edited:

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, my IQ is over 160, but that has nothing to do with forming an opinion about the subject. Quite frankly, I've reached my Peter Principle on quite a few subjects.... ;)
In order to place responsibility and judgment on the parents, one must first determine if said parents are capable of making sound judgment calls for themselves and that would be an impossible task. And it's common knowledge that many inept "parents" either don't know what their children are doing and/or don't care. In cases like this it's wise for government regulation to step in and set restrictions. It's easier just to set guidelines for all and adhere to them.
Wow! You must know some really shitty parents. I do, too. I also know some good parents who resent any "set guidelines for all". I mean, not everyone is the same, and the only way people can be sociologically equal is under an oppressive dictatorship. Do individual rights enter in there, anywhere?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's your problem. Its quite simple- you don't know any of us.
You did not take the time to, yet are forming judgments. I may be a very gifted investigator; and, exceptional judge of character. I can also predict most peoples next move(part of being am investigator). However, i also hold several other merits that most people who have been members here have picked up over time. I may not have PHD after my name, but, enough other academic credentials and initials to equal it, in scientific fields.
But, that is no way a judgement on anyone's personality or character traits.
The best part of this forum is that we are all left with our personality and the traits that accompany it, academic credentials are about a important as what color socks you're wearing here. Content of character and helpfulness is what is important here. Again sspend some time and start getting to know people.
A word of caution, quit putting empirical numbers on people or you may find yourself having a lonely time here.
Thanks, Firebird.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I'm not so much against underage folks using nicotine, as I am against the vaping for underage.

Society looks at vaping as equivalent to smoking in harm and "looks". You are not going to change that anytime soon. So I would be ok with them using gum with parental permission.

Kids that are vaping though, vape for clouds and some for stupid high use of nic. They take things to extremes, just to "break the rules" and be obnoxious turds. They make no friends with the people that call for regulation, nor the people that do the regulating. Were we to actually live in a society of personal responsibility and freedom, rather than the nanny government we are "blessed" with, my answer would be different.

Lastly, don't be discouraged about how you are being treated. They tend to be hard on new guys around here. Even on the ones that have been around awhile too. While the idea of this forum was to create something so different from ECF, power that corrupts the person wielding it is still alive. People are people, faults and all. The internet tends to magnify those faults.

Stick around. Some of us can handle intelligent debate. Those that can't, just can't.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Since you're new to this...
You simply haven't been here long enough to gain the proper perspective on what's here, who the people are, or how the forum works.

Also, think about what you're offering, the time frame in which you offered it, and how this can all be perceived. Right off the bat... a lot of info, questions and personal sharing. And please embrace the irony that you use a picture of a troll as your avatar.

Suggestion:
Log out and then start reading. Ten hours minimum. If you have to, use a Word document to take notes and paste links to random threads you feel compelled to reply to later. If you cave early and log in, mission not accomplished. Trust me, you will not regret doing this.
Thank you, LH. Actually, my wife has tried explaining these forums to me, but she's just a little less lost than I am. If you think I dumped the info and questions here, you should meet me in real life. In one afternoon we will know each other's life story, if you don't run screaming or attack me first. I don't take much time away from my work to meet others, so I cram in as much as I can when the opportunity arises. Oh, and Uglug is a boglin, a goblin type creature in a world my wife created, but I guess "troll" is close enough(hidden humour here). I just chose a pic from my disc that was a bit more attractive than myself. Doesn't everyone do that? I'm afraid, for the same reasons that rush my visitation time IRL, that I don't have long to be on this forum. Maybe a few more days to a week at best. After that, perhaps I'll come back in a few years and say hello, if I think of it.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not so much against underage folks using nicotine, as I am against the vaping for underage.

Society looks at vaping as equivalent to smoking in harm and "looks". You are not going to change that anytime soon. So I would be ok with them using gum with parental permission.

Kids that are vaping though, vape for clouds and some for stupid high use of nic. They take things to extremes, just to "break the rules" and be obnoxious turds. They make no friends with the people that call for regulation, nor the people that do the regulating. Were we to actually live in a society of personal responsibility and freedom, rather than the nanny government we are "blessed" with, my answer would be different.

Lastly, don't be discouraged about how you are being treated. They tend to be hard on new guys around here. Even on the ones that have been around awhile too. While the idea of this forum was to create something so different from ECF, power that corrupts the person wielding it is still alive. People are people, faults and all. The internet tends to magnify those faults.

Stick around. Some of us can handle intelligent debate. Those that can't, just can't.
Thank you, Freemind.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow! You must know some really shitty parents. I do, too. I also know some good parents who resent any "set guidelines for all". I mean, not everyone is the same, and the only way people can be sociologically equal is under an oppressive dictatorship. Do individual rights enter in there, anywhere?
Some are responsible with "individual rights," some hide behind them to shirk responsibility. Just as I find the term "equal rights" to be ironic in the fact that we're all different, such a thing cannot exist.
If it were a parent's individual right to decide whether or not their underage child could vape, then other individual rights would be forced on the bandwagon. "I'll decide whether or not my child can drink" and "I'll decide if my 14-year-old can drive"...it would never end. Government guided mandates would set an age of accountability.

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some are responsible with "individual rights," some hide behind them to shirk responsibility. Just as I find the term "equal rights" to be ironic in the fact that we're all different, such a thing cannot exist.
If it were a parent's individual right to decide whether or not their underage child could vape, then other individual rights would be forced on the bandwagon. "I'll decide whether or not my child can drink" and "I'll decide if my 14-year-old can drive"...it would never end. Government guided mandates would set an age of accountability.
Actually, I drank wine with nearly every dinner growing up, starting at around 6 years old, and one beer every Saturday night. I've never been much for getting drunk, though. I'm severely glad my parents disregarded mandatory age limits, otherwise, I probably would have partied away my freshman year of college.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There was a time, not so long ago, that parental decision was allowed. Your kids could drink at home with you. You kid could buy a .22 rifle at the hardware store at 13 years old. Your kid could drive on your property.

But parents stopped being responsible parents. Instead of punishing shitty parents, parents passed the buck to nanny government to avoid responsibility. Government also told parents that they could no longer punish their kids by spanking....

Did parents create the situation we have, or was it created by government? While the majority of parents may have allowed this (stood by willingly), who created this situation?

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There was a time, not so long ago, that parental decision was allowed. Your kids could drink at home with you. You kid could buy a .22 rifle at the hardware store at 13 years old. Your kid could drive on your property.

But parents stopped being responsible parents. Instead of punishing shitty parents, parents passed the buck to nanny government to avoid responsibility. Government also told parents that they could no longer punish their kids by spanking....

Did parents create the situation we have, or was it created by government? While the majority of parents may have allowed this (stood by willingly), who created this situation?
Now that would be a good one to research!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
TV and media in general. If we had neither, just think how few things we'd be offended by.....;)
Think of how many other conveniences and medical advancements we wouldn't have

Ol'DocPorter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TV and media in general. If we had neither, just think how few things we'd be offended by.....;)
Media has been with us since ancient Sumer (Mesopotamia), only the technology has improved. The biggest change in media's ability to influence, though, came with the advent of the television. early on, it was found to be able to completely brainwash the very suggestible, and to render anyone more and more suggestible with prolonged, repeated exposure. It is simply the most perfect mind control device hithertofore invented. No one, not even the most enlightened human being, is immune to its effects. If anyone wishes to be free, enlightened, or individuated, the first, and possibly most important step is to switch off the TV for good. I personally avoid exposure to television as much as possible. It has made all the difference.

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another Saga of questions for your studies I see, Thread merged to your main one:)
Why do you keep moving his stuff to "other advocacy" ? I don't understand.. Do you just not want people reading his stuff?? I don't get it....

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of the studies threads that are posted on the forum tend to get moved to this section, being how the OP posted 3-4 different types of threads geared towards him doing a "personal" study, with questions for members to answer, they all get merged to one thread (same OP) and put in this area. We do not have a specific "studies" sub forum so this is where they are placed. It is not that I do not want anyone seeing them, in fact everytime someone posts to this it brings it top page of new posts:) Hope that helped:)

Last edited:

Karebear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All of the studies threads that are posted on the forum tend to get moved to this section, being how the OP posted 3-4 different types of threads geared towards him doing a "personal" study, with questions for members to answer, they all get merged to one thread (same OP) and put in this area. We do not have a specific "studies" sub forum so this is where they are placed. It is not that I do not want anyone seeing them, in fact everytime someone posts to this it brings it top page of new posts:) Hope that helped:)
ok, first thing, are you implying that my husband is working for a company? I can assure you he is not. He is very inquisitive; you ought to see what he does to new people in person. second thing, why not start a studies forum? That could be cool.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I did not imply that, I said personal study, and I will bring that forum idea up at the next staff meeting, Have a great day Karebear:)

VU Sponsors