Become a Patron!

Which coil should i use for Smok Alien

Hi ok so after all my research i bought a Smok Alien 220w. I don't know why i chose that one but it had good reviews and i like the flexibility of being about to mod once i actually understand what i'm doing. Now the kit comes with a V8 Baby Q2 core and also a Baby T8 Core coil. I'm starting vaping so i can quit cigarettes so i'm not a cloud chaser. I've read that the T8 is a juice hog due to the amount of cloud it produces and which occasionally that would be awesome, for daily usage i don't think that's right for me. I'd prefer flavour with some smoke but not so much that i'm going to be spending heaps of money on refilling. I just want to quit smoking and then as a become more experienced, start experimenting with different things i guess.

My question is given all that, would coil would you recommend i purchase for the Alien which can both be economical and enjoyable at the same time. From what i gather the TFV8 is a beast and probably isn't necessary for a beginner.

Secondly, do the clearomizers need to be replaced at any time, or do you just replace the coil?

Thanks

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The Alien 220w is a decent mod, a little overpowered for a dual battery series mod, but it will suit your needs readily and expand with you if you decide to tumble down the rabbit hole further. As it stands with just my opinion gawd awful to over-needing power the tfv8 line in general is way to much for a starter. Given you stated you are looking to simulate smoking, the Aspire Nautilus (5 milliliter tank) and Nautilus Mini (2.5 milliliter) would be more your speed. They use the same nautilus coil heads, much higher ohm rated than the baby beast and need lower wattage, optimally operating in the 10 to 18 watts range.

The Nautilus line is what we term a mouth to lung tank (just like smoking) where the baby beast is designed for direct to lung (taking a rip off a water bong and clearing the tube). The Nautilus has helped thousands get off the smokes, has long dependability record, and it sips juice down instead of guzzling it down. It uses interchangeably the standard nautilus coil heads and can use the Aspire Triton Mini coils as well, any ohms 1.2 to 1.8 ohms should keep you happy and last about a week to 2 weeks per coil depending on juice, watts, and how often you puff on your device. The coils are replaceable, so when the coil goes bad, just have to replace the head and not the whole tank itself.

Welcome to VU and a healthier alternative, any more questions dont hesitate to ask, only dumb question with vapong is the one never asked.

Kick back, pull up your vape, and a brew and enjoy

=)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The Alien 220w is a decent mod, a little overpowered for a dual battery series mod, but it will suit your needs readily and expand with you if you decide to tumble down the rabbit hole further. As it stands with just my opinion gawd awful to over-needing power the tfv8 line in general is way to much for a starter. Given you stated you are looking to simulate smoking, the Aspire Nautilus (5 milliliter tank) and Nautilus Mini (2.5 milliliter) would be more your speed. They use the same nautilus coil heads, much higher ohm rated than the baby beast and need lower wattage, optimally operating in the 10 to 18 watts range.

The Nautilus line is what we term a mouth to lung tank (just like smoking) where the baby beast is designed for direct to lung (taking a rip off a water bong and clearing the tube). The Nautilus has helped thousands get off the smokes, has long dependability record, and it sips juice down instead of guzzling it down. It uses interchangeably the standard nautilus coil heads and can use the Aspire Triton Mini coils as well, any ohms 1.2 to 1.8 ohms should keep you happy and last about a week to 2 weeks per coil depending on juice, watts, and how often you puff on your device. The coils are replaceable, so when the coil goes bad, just have to replace the head and not the whole tank itself.

Welcome to VU and a healthier alternative, any more questions dont hesitate to ask, only dumb question with vapong is the one never asked.

Kick back, pull up your vape, and a brew and enjoy

=)

Oh wow Thankyou so much. I really wasn't expecting such a detailed answer. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Given that there are no stupid questions, I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question :). You mentioned that the coil will be replaced and you don't need to replace the whole tank. When I buy the coil, do I need to buy a separate tank or does it come as one piece? Or does the Alien starter kit come with a tank that I can just use the Aspire coils with?
This is exactly what I have at the moment.
http://m.smoktech.com/detail?url=http://www.smoktech.com/kit/alien-kit

Would I need to buy just the coils or do I need to buy an Aspire tank as well?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The Nautilus tank system is a sepperate tank, it will work on the Alien Box Mod. Mods are referred as a single device/entity where a tank/atomizer is the second device/entity to make a whole unit, mod with it battery/batteries supply the power and energy, the tank/atomizer is what does the work to do the vaporizing itself. Nautilus and Nautilus mini tanks can be found as a sepperate kit, tank, couple spare replacement coil heads and a beauty ring for if used on an ego class pen style battery, generally for around 20 to 25 USD, and then replacement coils come in packs of 5. The coils will not work in the smok baby beast being made by a different company entirely, the smok TFV coil heads are just maasive compared to the ones the Nautilus uses.

Let me get on my comp and I'll link to what a Nautilus looks like

/edit

Full size 5 mil Nautilus
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Aspire-Nautilus-Adjustable-Airflow-Tank-System-p/ap-na-k.htm
Nautilus Mini 2mil version
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Eigate-Aspire-Nautilus-Mini-2ml-p/ap-mna-k.htm

Upcoming Nautilus Version 2
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Aspire-Nautilus-2-Tank-p/ap-mnz10.htm
Nautilus Coil Head
https://www.mtbakervapor.com/atomiz...us-mini-replacement-bottom-vertical-coil-bvc/
Triton Mini Coil Head
http://www.myvaporstore.com/Atomizer-head-for-Triton-MINI-p/ap-trt90.htm

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh wow Thankyou so much. I really wasn't expecting such a detailed answer. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Given that there are no stupid questions, I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question :). You mentioned that the coil will be replaced and you don't need to replace the whole tank. When I buy the coil, do I need to buy a separate tank or does it come as one piece? Or does the Alien starter kit come with a tank that I can just use the Aspire coils with?
This is exactly what I have at the moment.
http://m.smoktech.com/detail?url=http://www.smoktech.com/kit/alien-kit

Would I need to buy just the coils or do I need to buy an Aspire tank as well?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help

You will need the nautilus tank to begin with .... once you have it replace its coils as you go ...the tank is a coils housing it does not have to be replaced

N.B you will know when you need to change the coil it's a taste that needs no explaination. Always prime your new coil before vaping ;)

Ok I think I have it.

The nautilus coils will not work with the baby beast tank, however, a nautilus tank system with nautilus coils will fit onto the SMOK alien mod. So essentially the tank and coil must the the same brand regardless of what the mod is, which in the case is a smok alien and only the coils need replacing. Got it.

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok I think I have it.

The nautilus coils will not work with the baby beast tank, however, a nautilus tank system with nautilus coils will fit onto the SMOK alien mod. So essentially the tank and coil must the the same brand regardless of what the mod is, which in the case is a smok alien and only the coils need replacing. Got it.

Thanks guys really appreciate it.
You got it buddy :)

You got it buddy :)
Nice. Just also, I've been looking at the Nautilus and have been comparing it to the Cleito and noticed that the Nautilus is 1.6ohm compared with the sub ohm tanks and from what I understand the Cleito is more of a direct to lung whereas the Nautilus is mouth to lung as you mentioned earlier. Does the mouth to lung(replicating smoking) have to do with the ohms, meaning higher ohms are more mouth to lung and sub ohms are direct to lung? Apparently the sub ohms produce warmer vapor which I'd prefer just because that's what cigarettes are like. Are most sub ohms directed at cloud chasers and can you get warmer vapor with the Nautilus tanks?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Nice. Just also, I've been looking at the Nautilus and have been comparing it to the Cleito and noticed that the Nautilus is 1.6ohm compared with the sub ohm tanks and from what I understand the Cleito is more of a direct to lung whereas the Nautilus is mouth to lung as you mentioned earlier. Does the mouth to lung(replicating smoking) have to do with the ohms, meaning higher ohms are more mouth to lung and sub ohms are direct to lung? Apparently the sub ohms produce warmer vapor which I'd prefer just because that's what cigarettes are like. Are most sub ohms directed at cloud chasers and can you get warmer vapor with the Nautilus tanks?
Yeah mouth to loung simulates what you do with a cigarette drag on it with a tight draw into you mouth then inhale some prefer this method they don't care about clouds because you won't get much in this style, flavour can be very good though. Some also use it as a transition into vaping because DL or direct lung is too much ...generally ohms on such devices are greater than 1 don't need as many watts and juice lasts forever

direct lung (DL) is where you breath in as you inhale in one motion ...I personally prefer this style of sub ohm vaping get great flavour and clouds and more of a hit this way...it's the entire opposite of MTL ohms below 1 generally on these

It's all down to personal choice there is no right or wrong

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The most economical coil heads are the ones with least coils in them that are rated for lowest wattage.
What you would like the most, well that's entirely up to you to decide.

Oh ok fair enough. The nautilus seems perfect to start with then. At least the Alien came with the baby beast anyway so I can give it a go without having to buying anything new but use the Nautilus for day to day vaping to ease into it.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh ok fair enough. The nautilus seems perfect to start with then. At least the Alien came with the baby beast anyway so I can give it a go without having to buying anything new but use the Nautilus for day to day vaping to ease into it.
Sounds like a plan! :) if anything you'll find out whether you like MTL can always sell the tank on eBay or on VU of you don't like it ;)

Oh nice. To be honest I don't know where you guys are but I currently pay $27 for 25g rolling tobacco or $16 for a pack of 20's cigarettes in Australia, so $25 odd for a tank is 3 days worth of cigarettes which really isn't much in the scheme of things not including juice

VU Sponsors