Become a Patron!

Which mod should a noob take?

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,

I am new here! :) i am an occasional smoker. i would really like to try the vaping experience to maybe replace smoking entirely.

Also i find the electronics fun. I also build custom laser pointers on other forums for a few years out of different materials like brass copper aluminium etc. I also make custom enclosures for laser power meteres. I can post some pictures if you guys like that.

Now i am looking into what mod to buy. I have had e cigarettes from the gastation before. But now i want a variable wattage 18650 compatible mod. Because i allready have all the high amp 18650 cells chargers etc from my laser building hobby.

I am kinda in between two boats. I dont want to spend over 100$ For something i dont know if i like it or not. But if i do like it i want to be able to do as much as possible with this mod without having to purchase another mod.

I have been watching youtube videos for a week now. And i going towards the following:

- Dna 40 device. Have both regular mode and temp control mode. But is the wattage a limiting factor?

- Sigelei 150 watt. This one has all the power but no temp control.

What would you guys recommend me? If i like it i would really like to build
Custom coils and maybe even a custom mod with dna 40 chip. As i like doing stuff like that.

Again i would like to buy something with an eye on the future.

Thanks for all the input.!

Greetings,,

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can tell you I have the have powermods like the sig 150 and IPV4, all the way down to the Istick 20w, my go to seems to stay within the 40-50w mods as a general all day mod, keeping in the14W range with regular tanks(replaceable coils) allows for long bat life and strong enough vaping for me, but every one is different, that just what I vape:) Good luck and welcome to VU:)

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am proud of my MADE IN USA Hana Modz V4S (with Evolv DNA40 chip). I run it at 25 watts. I sortof understand why people like 150 watts, but I'm not going there.
Hana Modz has a new $100 unit with the DNA40 chip. Or you can spend $200 for what I have, or $150 for the one with the bottom battery door (I would want this if it came in colors others than black). Actually, if you go to Hana Modz and choose "Sale Items" you will see discounted units (S.I.), meaning they have slight scratches (mine is one of these, and the scratch is hardly noticeable...and I paid $170, not $200).
One upside of buying MADE IN USA is that the devices hold their value.

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi thanks for the replies!

So with a 40W device and a rebuildable tank i should be up and running?
I really like hanna mods. However buying from them directly is no options. I live in europe. Shipping is 50$ (states their website)

I have gotten enough packages from the states to know that is too much for shipping to my location.

Also another question about the juice i should take. How does the wattage level affect the nicotine level in a vape? And could this even be dangerous when to high?

Realy appriciate the nice replies :)

Greetings.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi thanks for the replies!

So with a 40W device and a rebuildable tank i should be up and running?
I really like hanna mods. However buying from them directly is no options. I live in europe. Shipping is 50$ (states their website)

I have gotten enough packages from the states to know that is too much for shipping to my location.

Also another question about the juice i should take. How does the wattage level affect the nicotine level in a vape? And could this even be dangerous when to high?

Realy appriciate the nice replies :)

Greetings.
Bummer...didn't know you lived in Europe. Still, there are plenty of new DNA40 or TC devices accessible from Europe for about $100. As for a rebuildable tank (RTA), the older Lemo Drop is simple and efficient. RIP Trippers shows how to build it with 28awg Ni200 (youtube>Lemo Drop, RIP Trippers).
About nicotine in the juice: vaping at higher wattages uses more juice. 3mg feels about right for higher wattages. For clearomizers that don't use much juice, 9 mg feels about right.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been very happy with my Sig 100 (predecessor to the Sig 150) - plenty of power, actually even more than I need but it's there if I ever want it.

Temp control/temp limiting seems interesting, but I'm waiting until some of the hiccups in the technology get worked out before I jump in - I'm more than capable of creating a perfectly satisfactory vape with just wattage control, a luxury I didn't even have when I quit smoking a couple years ago.

Here's my thread that covers a lot of new user questions for people looking to jump directly into advanced devices:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Lots of stuff there on battery safety and whatnot, which I'm assuming you'll be familiar with already, but still hopefully a helpful reference...

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been very happy with my Sig 100 (predecessor to the Sig 150) - plenty of power, actually even more than I need but it's there if I ever want it.

Temp control/temp limiting seems interesting, but I'm waiting until some of the hiccups in the technology get worked out before I jump in - I'm more than capable of creating a perfectly satisfactory vape with just wattage control, a luxury I didn't even have when I quit smoking a couple years ago.

Here's my thread that covers a lot of new user questions for people looking to jump directly into advanced devices:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Lots of stuff there on battery safety and whatnot, which I'm assuming you'll be familiar with already, but still hopefully a helpful reference...
Wattage control is fine for me as well. I like TC because it starts out high watts and then bumps down as I'm vaping. One thing about TC...the coil needs to be room temperature before attaching it to the mod. Ni200 reads temperature by establishing a base line at room temp and then as the wire heats up the ohms change...so TC is reading the ohms. That's what I understand so far.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey man, congrats on taking the step, I would say try and think of what you want your mod to do, there is so much out there. But after a year plus of vaping I've gone from the store-bought sticks to a 150w mod. not that I need it; but, its availbale. My all day vape is between 45-60w. If you're thinking forward I would suggest looking into a 50-100w mod with kanger subtank as your topper.
The tank will run well between 20 and 30w it comes with a 1.2 ohm, a 0.5 ohm coil and a rebuildable deck so you can really try your hand at that without making another investment right away. With that kind of power I would also suggest looking into goof batteries like a Samsung 25r, lg he4 or a Sony vtc4.
I would suggest starting with looking at the sigelei50w or 100wplus, innokin mvp3pro, or joyetech evict vt. Just as a starting reference, to see what appeals to you. the last two have substantial built in batteries so no need to buy extras or a charger. That tends to work well for newer vapors.

With the juice, I don't know about dangerous but the higher power makes the throat hit way to Hard to where its borderline painful, so you'll wanna drop it down. I went from 12mg to 2 mg after cranking up the power from 12w to 60w
Just saw you're across the pond, ummmm not sure where cost or availability come in

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good advice from @f1reb1rd - I'll add on by saying that since any sub-ohm device drinks a lot more liquid than a more traditional beginner setup, you're going to want to cut your nic level accordingly - most folks halve their nic when moving to devices like what we're discussing, because when they double liquid consumption the nic content remains static. But if you're just an occasional smoker, 0 nic may be the way to go.

Also, a lot of us are tech geeks or geek-wannabes - I for one would appreciate some pics/write-ups on your lasers and other devices, either here or in the Non-Vaping Related subforum.

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,

Thanks for all the imput! It helps a lot. @ OB dave. That link was very usefull. I will probably order a unit from china. This will be best for me shipping wise. I will do some research on the forum. I have watched almost all riptrippers videos in a week. As you may can imagine the ammount of information and options is too damn high :p

Here is a small grasp of my DIY lasers. Some could be sweet mech mods in my opionion. But for myself i want VW and a few securities in my mod.
Note these are not for sale.

5572FD2D-D725-4134-9F69-684AB93FB49C_zpsfnh7zqsm.jpg

D3DE5436-184C-48EC-BC5C-F18C5F811F90_zpsxqnoxslc.jpg

5341B306-C7E8-47A7-95DF-A8F7D4D305A3_zpsl87dan6x.jpg

5082A509-928E-4ADD-92D0-8B06C8EA91FD_zpsxsa6kjwc.jpg
1E1ABAAF-0CBE-4A81-B4FD-D6014C5C9265_zpsnnvefyle.jpg

IMG_5901_zpsef1e4637.jpg

IMG_3766_zps6dfcccdb.jpg

IMG_3419_zps5b9263c3.jpg
img1720re.jpg

Home made laser power meters. Left is V1 Right is V2. Capable of datalogging. Latest version (v3) uses a wall adapter or battery pack and is way smaller.

Here are some video's:

sorry about the long post.

Greetings,,

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OH WOW! Gotta a link to some HOW TO info just in case one or more folks might wanna try their hand at building one?

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know if i am allowed to post links to other forums?

Greetings,,

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Since you have not tried VW vaping, you might wish to consider starting off with an inexpensive device like the Sigelei 30 watt mini, try that out and then decide on a larger mod.

The Siggy mini will not go to waste as it is a perfect smaller "Stealth" mod for use in public and can be had for like $36 USD.

If you like, then you can go and get yourself one of the "Big Guns" 100 watt plus if you like.

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,

Just ordered a lemo 2 RTA and two vtc4 cells. I cannot find the datasheet of my other IMR's so went with the safe route.

Thing to purchase:

- RDA obviously havent decided yet.
- juice

Greetings,

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For those that want to know how i ended up. I ordered a SX mini M class. More than enough power and temp mode. So i can try both. Now i am looking for a source that supplies some sort of kits with different E-juice. So i can try high and low VG/PG juices and different flavors. This in the EU..

Greetings,

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats on the mod!!!! That's the best one on the market at the moment imho !!! Should serve you very well !!!

offroadfreak8582

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you! :)

Yes i have watched very extensive reviews about this device and it seemed the best option for me. I also looked and the dna 40 devices but i wanted to be able to have the same mod on the longer run. And have the power if i need it.

It is quite expensive. But i also see it as a new hobby.

I cant care about the dna 200 that is coming out. I think 60W is more then i will ever need. And i can even bump it up to 120W with an extension tube at home (if i should need it).

Greetings!

VU Sponsors