Become a Patron!

Which Ohm Meter

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
After having 3 elcheapo meters die I got a Coilmaster 521 tab. It's maybe a year old and has been great up till tonight. Now readings are jumping around. Put in a fresh battery, tried a few different attys, same story. It will still fire the atty, but think it gave up the ghost on reading. I'll pull it apart and see what I can see, but don't have high hopes.

Was just about to order a USA Ohm Meters "ultimate" and then thought it might be a good idea to ask the brain trust here. The fire/burn feature on the 521 is so convenient, hate to give up that feature.

Sooo, USA or another 521? Any other worthwhile meters out there? Thanks

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
USA Ohm Meter claims accuracy to ± 0.018Ω (no stated count). I have two (Ultimate and 3D printed) which generally read within ± 0.25Ω of one another. Another recommended meter that I have been using for builds below 0.1Ω with excellent results is the Scotts Mod ORDTS.2 firing ohm meter.

ordts.2_vs_usa_3d.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
i secnd usa ohm meters... the most accurate and well made meters you will find for vaping

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I followed the link to the ORDTS.2 and it looks really good but don't see a price or way to purchase. USA has a firing meter for $75, and a 3d printed one for $85 that looks to be a good building platform.

Can you place a bigger than 22 mm atty on that Scotts 510?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I bought the Geekvape 521 but I wish I got the Coilmaster version instead as I would like to check the resistance of a coil without installing it and pulsing wire before wrapping it would be nice also...and its other features...

I would love a USA Ohm meter if thats all I needed was a Ohm Meter...they are really well made and dead on accurate.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The ORDTS.2 can accomodate a 24mm atomizer. The link above showcases a K24 atop the firing ohm meter. Contact Scotts Mod for pricing. Offhand, the ORDTS.2 is a more adept building platform than the USA Fire Meter due in large to its real-time digital display of I/R/V/W values under load.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's a nice meter!! congrats!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I just got a Coilmaster after killing my USA one. But, USA has some nicer ones now they didn't have back when I got mine.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After having 3 elcheapo meters die I got a Coilmaster 521 tab. It's maybe a year old and has been great up till tonight. Now readings are jumping around. Put in a fresh battery, tried a few different attys, same story. It will still fire the atty, but think it gave up the ghost on reading. I'll pull it apart and see what I can see, but don't have high hopes.

Was just about to order a USA Ohm Meters "ultimate" and then thought it might be a good idea to ask the brain trust here. The fire/burn feature on the 521 is so convenient, hate to give up that feature.

Sooo, USA or another 521? Any other worthwhile meters out there? Thanks

I had the Coilmaster 521 Tab and after a while the Ohm's got all screwy and totally "off", so I got another one.

But I found out USA Ohm Meters made a Fire Meter and got it, I really, really love it. Only thing I use the Coilmaster for is to check the Voltage drop on my Mod's and at times an Atty stand ;)

Anyway I have the single battery version, I'm about to pull the trigger on the dual battery version, it's only about $10 more than the single. More power to pulse when I'm building large fused clapton builds.

So don't mess about, get the USA Ohm Meter

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have (had) a CM 521 and it suffered from the changing readout, I could fully charge the battery and clean the 510 and it would be ok for a while.
So, I bought a USA and it's been solid for me. I'm ready to get a Fire, but they REALLY need to do rethink their website.
It looks like a ransom note with all the fonts, colors, inverse, etc. Hard to navigate too.
They build great boxes, but should leave the web design to professionals.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone want to trade their CM 521 vfor the Geekvape 521? I dont care if its got a changing readout as long as it still fires coils and has all the accessories.
My Geekvape 521 is in great condition and it reads accurately with no issues...I just want to be able to anneal wire and use the alligator clips setup as well as Voltage Drop Readings.
If you are interested please PM me!

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you still need one when my USA Fire gets here I'll give you this one, just pay postage. But I don't want the geekvape.

I pulled it apart and everything looked clean and perfect. Think the problem is in the 510. Thats not so easy to get to, the holes for the banana clip leads appear to be press fit. It is behaving better after being taken apart for whatever reason, not doing the ohms dance, but settles out fairly consistently at around. .04ohms above what all my regulated mods are reading. It may be ok as long as you keep in mind the difference, but I can't trust it anymore.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After getting my DNA200's I put my other mods on the shelf. However I still use my IPV3 Li to build on. It reads to the thousandths of an ohm and is accurate. I know it's probably not as nice as your guys building platforms but it works for me. A plus is it reads resistance without having to fire (press the + and - buttons), and can be fired to make sure you have no hot spots as needed.

Cheers,
Steve

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone want to trade their CM 521 vfor the Geekvape 521? I dont care if its got a changing readout as long as it still fires coils and has all the accessories.
My Geekvape 521 is in great condition and it reads accurately with no issues...I just want to be able to anneal wire and use the alligator clips setup as well as Voltage Drop Readings.
If you are interested please PM me!

Don't expect to anneal wire with it, for one the clips are absolutely useless, very poor quality. Then not enough power to anneal wire.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Don't expect to anneal wire with it, for one the clips are absolutely useless, very poor quality. Then not enough power to anneal wire.

If it takes bullet connectors then I can just use my own as I also have a collection in R/C but thanks for the heads up!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it takes bullet connectors then I can just use my own as I also have a collection in R/C but thanks for the heads up!
Problem is not enough power to anneal the wire also

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another for USA Ohm Meters.
Here's why:

Smok RBA 28 Twist 3mm 5-5 wrap 731 ohm.jpg

Built today:
--On Smok RBA
--28 gauge twisted Kanthal
--2mm twist pitch
--3mm ID
--5.5 wrap
--.731 ohm

This is more coincidence than anything else...think of the multiple factors involved. But the amount of fluctuation from other ohm meters, or from the readers on mods is insane. I grumbled when I spent the extra money, although Steam-Engine confirmations like this make me realize it was worth it.

This model has gone down $5 since I got it in January. If shipping is the same, it will now be around $28.50 out the door.
http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com/NE...REEN-LED-SS510ClearGreenLED.htm?categoryId=-1

Edit:
They're on vacation. 15 percent off until they get back next week, Sept. 6. Code: VAC15OFF

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's something you may be interested in. They are the original of what Coil Master made the clone of for the 521 Tab. The Burning Master Tab is obscenely expensive and glad Coil Master Cloned it.

Anyway they do make a slick device here that isn't so obscenely expensive, with your coil making this device really could open up a few other doors for yah.

http://www.thefridaymorning.com/welding-tab/

Here's a YouTube review of it, it's in French though. It does give you an demo of how it works

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's something you may be interested in. They are the original of what Coil Master made the clone of for the 521 Tab. The Burning Master Tab is obscenely expensive and glad Coil Master Cloned it.

Anyway they do make a slick device here that isn't so obscenely expensive, with your coil making this device really could open up a few other doors for yah.

http://www.thefridaymorning.com/welding-tab/

Here's a YouTube review of it, it's in French though. It does give you an demo of how it works

That is a pretty cool device lol but theres one for helf that price that may just offer then same abilities and more in the $40 range by UD
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10019678/5679800-authentic-youde-ud-sifu-b-tab-3-in-1-functional
Can use it as a normal mod, a Tab Master and has spots for Banana Plugs and more, soon to have firmware updates and more :cool:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That is interesting, and why not? Everything is there for either/and on most devices. And many have wasted space that may as well be taken up with something useful.
A note on USAOhmMeters; I have the fire meter and the dual fire meter and they read different resistance for the same atty/coil. Not a huge difference, +/-.05, but when you are playing around in the .06 to .08 range it is disconcerting. Contacted them, the response (after a couple emails during a business week) was send 'em back. On my dime...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
MMM I don't see where it welds the wires
With high enough wattage you can weld anything with anything...A soldering iron is between 30-150w and does the same thing but I understand what you mean.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That is interesting, and why not? Everything is there for either/and on most devices. And many have wasted space that may as well be taken up with something useful.
A note on USAOhmMeters; I have the fire meter and the dual fire meter and they read different resistance for the same atty/coil. Not a huge difference, +/-.05, but when you are playing around in the .06 to .08 range it is disconcerting. Contacted them, the response (after a couple emails during a business week) was send 'em back. On my dime...
Ill take the one you dont want :D:D It'll go with the cm 521 you gave me :sneaka:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With high enough wattage you can weld anything with anything...A soldering iron is between 30-150w and does the same thing but I understand what you mean.
Got it.

Yeah "The Friday Morning" is obscene with their prices, don't know how they are still in business to be honest.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Got it.

Yeah "The Friday Morning" is obscene with their prices, don't know how they are still in business to be honest.
Because "Daddy" can afford it with most people that purchase from them lol

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I mentioned on another thread that I melted down some stuff with some really big coils. The dual fire meter was one of the victims. All it needs is maybe a new mosfet (or perhaps it's just the shrink wrap that's gone) and a little soldering work on a couple of wires. The way I figure it, 8 pairs of ss 28/38 6 wrap aliens and actual shipping would put that in your hands.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well, I mentioned on another thread that I melted down some stuff with some really big coils. The dual fire meter was one of the victims. All it needs is maybe a new mosfet (or perhaps it's just the shrink wrap that's gone) and a little soldering work on a couple of wires. The way I figure it, 8 pairs of ss 28/38 6 wrap aliens and actual shipping would put that in your hands.
Ill grab some more 36g and 38g SS and then Ill get ahold of you :D

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm, yes perhaps 38 would be better. :) I have from time to time pulled off some 36 wrap that were usable, but too ugly for public viewing lol. But hurry, I have the shrink wrap out and the soldering iron heating up...:D

VU Sponsors