Become a Patron!

Which ohm meter?

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can the community recommend an ohm meter with fire capability that will last longer than a couple of months?
I'm on my third Coil Master 521 tab in about a year so I'm done with them.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if i need a really accurate reader that can fire, i just use my hohm wrecker g2. the usaohmmeters reader is really accurate too, but it cant fire anything. all the other readers i have used have been somewhere between 'light duty' and 'cheap junk'.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if i need a really accurate reader that can fire, i just use my hohm wrecker g2. the usaohmmeters reader is really accurate too, but it cant fire anything. all the other readers i have used have been somewhere between 'light duty' and 'cheap junk'.
USA used to make a fire meter. I can't even find an ohm reader on their site at all, now... looks like they've switched fully over to coil jigs.

Geek Vape makes one, but I like it less than the coil master.

There are all kinds of coil master clones on eBay and FastTech.

Then, there's the original Burning Tab...

http://www.thefridaymorning.com/meter/

ETA: Most modern Innokin mods will read to 5 decimal places...
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy crap. Don't think the boss will let me go for that cost especially since I'm also needing a new charger too, but it looks nice.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Part of me wants to try another Hohm base in hopes that this one is just out of whack.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Part of me wants to try another Hohm base in hopes that this one is just out of whack.
I am really really not happy with my Hohm Base charger. I wish I had gone with the Xtat Dragon or Opus BT3100. For every day use, though, I've been VERY VERY happy with my Gyrfalcon All-44

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
USA used to make a fire meter. I can't even find an ohm reader on their site at all, now... looks like they've switched fully over to coil jigs.

Geek Vape makes one, but I like it less than the coil master.

There are all kinds of coil master clones on eBay and FastTech.

Then, there's the original Burning Tab...

http://www.thefridaymorning.com/meter/

ETA: Most modern Innokin mods will read to 5 decimal places...
yeah i remember trying to get one last summer and they didnt seem to be in stock. then i managed to find a four horsemen hog at a somewhat out of the way shop online last fall, and they surprised me by sending a usaohmmeters reader along with it (i didnt realize they sold them or i would have just bought one at the same time lol). its a great reader, expensive though.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am really really not happy with my Hohm Base charger. I wish I had gone with the Xtat Dragon or Opus BT3100. For every day use, though, I've been VERY VERY happy with my Gyrfalcon All-44

Does that one do 20700's?

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might go for that one. Fiddle fart with the hohm base for a few more weeks then take it to the office as a back up

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might go for that one. Fiddle fart with the hohm base for a few more weeks then take it to the office as a back up
I've got the Gyrfalcon All-88, Gyrfalcon All-44, Efest Luc V4, Nitecore UM20, Hohmtech Hohm Base, and Efest Luc S2. I had an old Nitecore I4. Of all of them, my go to charger is the All-44. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Note, though, it'll only do 1 Amp... but, it'll do 1 Amp on all 4 slots. All 4 slots are also independent, so 1 slot can be 1 Amp, another at .5 Amp, another at .25 Amp, and the 4th can charge NiCad or NiMH all at the same time.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
whats the problem with the hohm base? i am admittedly a fan of the company after getting the g2, and i would consider their charger before an efest or a brand i have never heard of. speaking on that, whats a good charger brand these days? would love an 8 bay version of the nitecore d4 (or any 8 bay with a similar display)...

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
whats the problem with the hohm base? i am admittedly a fan of the company after getting the g2, and i would consider their charger before an efest or a brand i have never heard of. speaking on that, whats a good charger brand these days? would love an 8 bay version of the nitecore d4 (or any 8 bay with a similar display)...
The Gyrfalcon All-88

https://www.imrbatteries.com/gyrfalcon-all-88-8-channel-digital-battery-charger/

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The slots on the Hohm Base are very deep, and a little short. It makes getting the cells in and out difficult. 18650s are difficult, 20700s really difficult, 26650s are, oddly enough, quite easy. The positive contacts are not quite right either, and I've had a handful of batteries just not read...

Once you do get the battery installed, and recognized, you've got to make sure the settings are right... I've had it misread cells.

It's also a little slow to start up. I'm used to selecting a mode (or using the preset), putting the batteries in, and being done. With the Hohm Base, the process is: 1) put the cell in... jiggle it if it doesn't read. 2) wait for it to ID the battery type. 3) race against the clock to get the mode set.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The slots on the Hohm Base are very deep, and a little short. It makes getting the cells in and out difficult. 18650s are difficult, 20700s really difficult, 26650s are, oddly enough, quite easy. The positive contacts are not quite right either, and I've had a handful of batteries just not read...

Once you do get the battery installed, and recognized, you've got to make sure the settings are right... I've had it misread cells.

It's also a little slow to start up. I'm used to selecting a mode (or using the preset), putting the batteries in, and being done. With the Hohm Base, the process is: 1) put the cell in... jiggle it if it doesn't read. 2) wait for it to ID the battery type. 3) race against the clock to get the mode set.

ugh. that sounds like it didnt have a lot of pre-market testing lol. thanks for the recommendation for that 8 bay setup :cheers:

VU Sponsors