Become a Patron!

Which RTA would be best for easily switching cotton to test flavors?

Stevevapes4183

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, I do a lot of DIY ejuice and want to get an RTA that I can easily build on and easily change a piece of cotton to test flavors like at the local B&M. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An RDTA like the avocado.... tank sits below deck..... so it can be used like a dripper. At least until wick get juice from tank on it.
RTA with coil inside or below the tank not so good for taste testing.
Best option for tasting would be any dripper.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Run rayon on temp control and just vape it dry and drip the next juice. Rayon changes flavors much better than cotton does.

Otherwise, any single coil rda should be easy enough but there is break in for cotton so you'd have to vape more than just a taste to get the true flavor of the juice.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pretty much any RDA would suffice...If its just for tasting, you can do a simple single coil test set up but of course the RDA would have to be single coil compatible which is just optional air flow slot positions to close one side of the air flow but leave the other side open.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rayon TC and an RDA works for me and you can drip a few hits of unflavored liquid to clean the wick between flavors.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use an Ammit and a Merlin. Both are single coil tanks that I use to test juice and coil builds and get my proper ohms reading after vaping them for a while. Except I need another one as they both became my go to daily tanks so now I am back to my dripper. My TF-RDTA and Griffin 25 plus sit on a shelf. LOL CHEERS!

Stevevapes4183

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sounds really good, I am going to try rayon. I'm thinking I should probably stick with a basic coil build. Thanks for the advice guys. I know it was a NewB question. I got into DIY juice before building coils.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people including myself use sallys cellucotton. Not the reinforced stuff and there is a rayon cellucotton and a cotton cellucotton.
Make sure you get rayon cellucotton.

And a $10 single coil rda from Fasttech :vapemail:

Stevevapes4183

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, I picked out a couple $10 rda's from fasttech. I really appreciate all your help

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It may or may not help to test on a setup similar to one you plan to vape on. Testing on and rta won't necessarily give the same flavor if you normally vape on an rda and vice versa.

Next to an rda's simplicity I use an ehpro bachelor like an rta the way it was designed. When the tank is empty I can unscrew it from the deck and it's got to be one of the simplest for wicking. A postless deck with ample room for a single coil, slide the cotton through it and snip at either side of the deck. No tucking, no fluffing. Screw the tank back on and vape what's soaked in the cotton. Doesn't require large amounts either, maybe an inch long piece. The nano version works the same way, just with a shorter chimney.

If trying flavors I get a more accurate idea even though it's a bottom coil rta and the vapor has to travel up the chimney because that's how I'd be vaping it normally. An rda would likely be simpler since the cap just pulls off rather than threading on, flavor may be different though. I'm sure there are other rta's out there that can be removed, where the juice flow shuts off (no tipping the works upside down like a kayfun that leaves the juice ports gaped open) and exposes the build deck.

An extreme example would be something like an rda vs a mtl rta like a kayfun v3/4/5. The same exact juice would taste quite a bit different from one to the other and it's possible for a juice to taste great in one setup and mediocre in another depending what flavor profiles come through.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I don't recommend a Tank to test flavors, a single coil RDA would be a much better solution.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use RDTAs like Ijoy Combo and Limitless Classic.
As previously stated if there is no juice in the tank you can drip on the cotton.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While I agree an RDA would certainly be the best choice for quick flavor swapping, in the event you were simply testing a flavor to see if you want to start using it regularly but you use something totally different on your daily setup, using something that is real close to what you normally vape on would be a better choice for the testing.
But if you are just wanting to know if you'll like the new flavor, the RDA is certainly the fastest flavor swapping mechanism.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My RDA's I don't even change cotton, done with flavor test, drip Flavorless for a bit and ready to go with new flavor.

Stevevapes4183

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a couple RDA's. The recommendation to run some unflavored between flavors is exactly what I do with my tanks when I switch a flavor.

I appreciate everyone who chimed in with their advice.

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A test will only reveal which juice you liked at that snippet of time.
As the day wears on, juice definitely has a way of changing..

VU Sponsors