Become a Patron!

Which Sub Ohm tank runs the coolest for chain vaping?

danblas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Currently i have a Subtank mini and a Crown. I love the flavor and clouds from the Crown but the tank heats up so fast. I wind up taking 3-4 long pulls and the tank itself gets so hot to the touch I feel like its dangerous to keep going. At this point it makes my Subtank what i use almost all day because I can chain vape it and it does not get as hot. I realize the Crown is using .25 ohm coil and the Subtank is running .5 ohm but there has to be something that runs as cool as the Subtank and low ohms, clouds, and flavor of the Crown. Putting the Crown on TC with the NI200 .15 ohm coil doesnt seem to make much of a difference either way. Should i just get the .5 ohm coils for the Crown? Can someone recommend a tank that works the way i want?

Best regards,
Chain vaper!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might try the Smok Tfv4
I have two of these and really like the triple coil around 75-80w
It has an air adjustable drip tip that really helps keep the vape tolarable at the higher wattages..it blows thicker clouds than my Crown and a cooler vape as well..good luck with your search..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm running .16 builds in my subtank minis. They only get warm, not hot. I am running totally open air flow with lung hits.

HD

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried the Crown but did try the Smok tank and that thing got hotter than a $2 pistol. I even took it back to the vape shop and they said with that big coil inside that they just get hot. I had no use for a tank that was too hot to put in my pocket so asked for a refund. I bought my first Aromamizer tank shortly thereafter and have two of them now. I can build them the way I want them and do not have any problems. I currently run a 22g Kanthal dual vertical build on the Velocity style base. They are usually around .27 ohms and I get great flavor and vapor production. I also own a Delta II, a Triton, and some other cheaper tanks but none of them perform like the Aromamizer. I have a Trinity Glass Copa Tip and I never have problems with overheating.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
More power, more heat. Simple physics. There is no tank that can run the same power and be cooler. And there is nothing dangerous about it. A very general rule of thumb is if you can't keep your hand on it, it's around 140F. My tank probably gets 100, 120 tops. There is nothing dangerous about that.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More power, more heat. Simple physics. There is no tank that can run the same power and be cooler. And there is nothing dangerous about it. A very general rule of thumb is if you can't keep your hand on it, it's around 140F. My tank probably gets 100, 120 tops. There is nothing dangerous about that.
More surface area, better heat dissipation. It's why my twin heatsinked Vulcan RDA stays a lot cooler than the usual.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, you can add heat sinks to a tank. I'm sure anything with huge coils would need them. But tanks in general are going to get warm, and it's not dangerous.

Anyway hand will absorb more heat than air. You can hold on to it to cool it. It will feel hotter on a leg because it's not used to heat. But again, it's not dangerous and it's not going to burn you.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Powerman Yeah totally agree that if you can touch it then it is safe. You would really know it if a tank was running too hot as you wouldn't be able to hold it for more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What coils do you use for the Crown and what wattage do you run it at?

I only vape in TC mode , In the Crown I use the factory Ni200 coils. In the Smok I use the same but I just tried the titanium and I am enjoying it. To be fair I run the Smok about 20 degrees higher than the Crown to get the vape I like but the Smok definitely runs hotter.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you use the TFV4 Full size or mini. I know the mini heats up quite quickly.

Anyways to the OP I'd say try the .5Ω coils before looking for a new tank. Lower ohms are going to be heating up anything. Chain vaping on my TFV4 full size I can run 100w and it just stays warm, but if I really want to get everything out of my setup and I usually do, I'm at 125w or 150w (depends on coil) then after a few tokes it starts to get warm, and a few more it's downright burning, so I give it some rest time.

Again mini in that situation 100w and it's already burning.

danblas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you use the TFV4 Full size or mini. I know the mini heats up quite quickly.

Anyways to the OP I'd say try the .5Ω coils before looking for a new tank. Lower ohms are going to be heating up anything. Chain vaping on my TFV4 full size I can run 100w and it just stays warm, but if I really want to get everything out of my setup and I usually do, I'm at 125w or 150w (depends on coil) then after a few tokes it starts to get warm, and a few more it's downright burning, so I give it some rest time.

Again mini in that situation 100w and it's already burning.
I have used the .5 coils (in TC mode as well) and it is better. I decided instead of a new tank I ordered the RBA deck for the Crown. I can build out my own coils and go higher then .5 ohm. I ordered Titanium and SS as well so I can try them all to see what works best. I really do love the flavor on the Crown and i hear the flavor on the TFV4 is even better.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I may have gotten a wonky .5 coil with my Crown or I may have burnt it up, but my experience has been the opposite.

Part of it probably has to do with the fact that I was taking way longer puffs at 50-70 watts with the .5 coil and I take shorter puffs with the .25 coil at 40-60 watts.

Again maybe I got a weird coil. When I had the .5 coil in it'd get ridiculously hot after a few puffs; like the tank and glass, the base, the top, and the tip were just blazing hot.

When I put the first .25 in and broke it in it just doesn't seem to get nearly as hot. I also haven't gotten any weird air buffeting crap with the .25 coils (the .5 coil made me feel like I was trying to suck the last couple drops of liquid out of a glass with a straw, like gurgly without any juice getting into my mouth). I DO use the .25 at lower wattages though and it seems to work better (for me) than the .5 did whether at lower or higher wattages.

I did switch to using VV for the Crown instead of VW on my iStick 100 because of the resistance fluctuation. If I set it around 4.2v it starts out around 65-68w and tapers off to about 52w over a 3-5 second puff. When I was using VW I'd start off around 55w and around 4v and as the resistance went up the voltage would go through the roof....

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have used the .5 coils (in TC mode as well) and it is better. I decided instead of a new tank I ordered the RBA deck for the Crown. I can build out my own coils and go higher then .5 ohm. I ordered Titanium and SS as well so I can try them all to see what works best. I really do love the flavor on the Crown and i hear the flavor on the TFV4 is even better.

The Crown RBA often requires a little trial and error to get just right. I absolutely did not like it the first couple of weeks I used it. Sometimes it would leak really badly and sometimes it was fine. As I began to treat it differently from the prebuilt coils I started to like it more and more. I use the RBA all the time now. It has great flavor and airflow. The answer for me was to not top fill with it. Sometimes top filling worked and sometimes it leaked. The RBA never leaks a drop when I bottom fill. Some people have been able to top fill without leaking (maybe not every time) but your mileage may vary. Really, I'm just posting this to let you know that if your tank leaks with the RBA it may work leak free by bottom filling. If you get great results with top filling using the RBA please let us know how you wick it. :D

danblas

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Crown RBA often requires a little trial and error to get just right. I absolutely did not like it the first couple of weeks I used it. Sometimes it would leak really badly and sometimes it was fine. As I began to treat it differently from the prebuilt coils I started to like it more and more. I use the RBA all the time now. It has great flavor and airflow. The answer for me was to not top fill with it. Sometimes top filling worked and sometimes it leaked. The RBA never leaks a drop when I bottom fill. Some people have been able to top fill without leaking (maybe not every time) but your mileage may vary. Really, I'm just posting this to let you know that if your tank leaks with the RBA it may work leak free by bottom filling. If you get great results with top filling using the RBA please let us know how you wick it. :D
Thanks for the tip, I will bottom fill. Since this thread started I received my Koopor Plus 200w device in the mail. Right now I have my Crown on it with the .15 NI200 coil and I have it in TC mode. My other mod (Istick 60w) heated it up like crazy in TC mode but the Koopor plus does such a great job the heating issues are gone. I can now chain vape on the Crown and it heats up like the Subtank which is great. Back to chain vaping? LOL. Other than that I really recommend the Koopor Plus. The only thing i can say bad about it is that the magnetic battery door wiggles a bit but its a really minor thing. The device itself is awesome and the TC mode is great.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the tip, I will bottom fill. Since this thread started I received my Koopor Plus 200w device in the mail. Right now I have my Crown on it with the .15 NI200 coil and I have it in TC mode. My other mod (Istick 60w) heated it up like crazy in TC mode but the Koopor plus does such a great job the heating issues are gone. I can now chain vape on the Crown and it heats up like the Subtank which is great. Back to chain vaping? LOL. Other than that I really recommend the Koopor Plus. The only thing i can say bad about it is that the magnetic battery door wiggles a bit but its a really minor thing. The device itself is awesome and the TC mode is great.
Let us (me) know how the Koopor Plus holds up. I have one coming in my next vape-mail and it should be here within the next week.

I'm planning on using the Crown with a .25 SS coil, but may have to try some other TC coils.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Herakles doesnt always get the respect, but it outperformed the other tanks with prebuilt coils until the TFV4 came on the scene. I see vape shop employees and regulars with drippers or mechs, but if its a tank, I see the TFV4, Herakles, Kanger Sub Mini, and the occasional Arctic being vaped. Plenty of Herks still in use, chain vaping, making clouds and flavor. The Crown is nice but can burn coils if you push it. Same for Arctic.

With Crown, I use 0.25 and keep power low if hitting it often.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I chain Vape on both the crown on .5 and the Arctic as well seems to work better for me than the subtank.
I love the Arctic a lot. Crown and Arctic than subtank/Atlantis for
Sub ohm tanks (that I've tried anyway)
I don't chain Vape often but when I'm trying to get that fix in a rush it does a great job lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the Aspire Triton and i can vape on it all day long with no problems but i switched over to dripping a few months ago....i was using the Triton with the .15Ω TC coils on an IPV4

VU Sponsors