Become a Patron!

Which sub-ohm tanks use Stainless Steel?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After a week of reading and searching and reviewing, I finally decided on the Aspire Cleito. It sounded perfect. Lo and behold, I notice the "flavor" is clean, but it just tastes like clouds. Not the juice flavor. I even did the whole, unscrewing and everything else. No difference.

Does anyone know of a sub-ohm tank that uses premade stainless steel coils? I saw the TFV12 prince tank and the sticker on the back of the coil spares says "stainless 000". But I have no idea what that means or if its referring to the heating element or the body of the coil. Also, I've heard and seen SMOK products leaking continuously.

Any suggestions from experience? I usually use 70VG/30PG...or higher VG

I would definitely sacrifice huge clouds for flavor

Last edited:

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aspire does off an SS 316 coil for the Clieto. It's a .4 ohm 55 to 70 watt coild and is readily available. Shop around a bit. Most Smok coils are kanthal not stainless, so use extreme caution if you go that route.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The Eleaf Ello has a HW1 ss coil, pretty tasty lower watt coil. If you have an Atlantis coil compatible tank one of the Triton coils is ss. Uwell Crown coils are ss, would stick with original Crown or Crown III. I know there are others, but none are coming to mind.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I loved the Vaporesso GT coils but moved away since they're nichrome alloy. For the Cleito I'm using the .4ohm coil. On a scale of 1-10, its a 1 in terms of flavor. And honestly I don't wanna risk dry hits.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I used the ss .4Ω in my Cleito and flavor was very good for a drop in. Play with watts and af more, might try a different juice too. Most get good flavor from the Cleito.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Prefer it if it didn't leak. That's the worst thing to go through when you're relaxing, having a drink and vaping

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The uWell Rafale has SS316 coils along with a plethora of others which I can't think of at the moment.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Prefer it if it didn't leak. That's the worst thing to go through when you're relaxing, having a drink and vaping
It will seep overnight. I would close af overnight and just got in the habit of blowing it out every morning. Had no seeping/leaking issues while in use tho. Have you checked o-rings? IIRC I did close af on that one when refilling. I only used mine with the bubble glass, don't know if that would make a difference.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I keep seeing the bubbles when I unscrew it. But even then, the flavor just isn't there. If it helps, I'm using Naked 100 Hawaiian POG. I got amazing flavor with my Vaporesso GT coils. But again, they're nichrome and I am looking for the cleaner metals.

Good news though. When I called Vaporesso, they told me they're making stainless steel coils for the cascade tank. They said "we're working on it." But I don't know if they meant standalone stainless steel or with the ceramic.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With your cleito it sounds like it's not wicking so prick some holes in the cotton. That cotton is so packs in that it doesn't always wick correctly

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With your cleito it sounds like it's not wicking so prick some holes in the cotton. That cotton is so packs in that it doesn't always wick correctly

Well if it isn't wicking properly then why is it still producing vapor?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I need to prick some holes, how big should the holes be? Toothpick size(how many pricks?) or sewing needle size(how many pricks?)

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cleito suffers from vapor lock, it seemed to be addressed with the 120 which is why I use that more.
I usually do 3 pricks with something that comes in my DIY coil kit but a tooth pick would do

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just thought of something. Should I prick them towards the bottom of the coil? I was thinking if I do it too high, I would have to refill it often because the juice would keep going below the pricks

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So pricking the cotton solves the lack of flavor?
I never had lack of flavor but I know people that have & I put one hole at top, one in middle, one at bottom.
I don't think it can be vapor lock cos you said when you have removed top cap and see bubbles rising but still aren't getting flavor. I think this tank knocks the NRG outta the water so I hope you sort it!

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never had lack of flavor but I know people that have & I put one hole at top, one in middle, one at bottom.
I don't think it can be vapor lock cos you said when you have removed top cap and see bubbles rising but still aren't getting flavor. I think this tank knocks the NRG outta the water so I hope you sort it!

Thanks. So 3 holes in each exposed slot of cotton? And do you make the holes the size of the tip of the toothpick or the middle, wider part of the toothpick?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No you'll find that two of the cotton channels have a metal wall behind them and you'll notice that when you can punch holes in them & just the tip of it. Don't poke a hole right through cos you'll risk really bad leaking.
Oh also if you do get a leak blow through the mouth piece and that'll get rid of excess juice. Once you've done that flip upside down

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Thanks. So 3 holes in each exposed slot of cotton? And do you make the holes the size of the tip of the toothpick or the middle, wider part of the toothpick?
Do not touch the coil, just prick cotton with a needle/safety pin. Tiny holes, not large; don't want to flood the coil.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I just tried poking it. All 3 cottons seem hard and it won't go through. Is there one in specific that I should try pushing harder?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
So I just tried poking it. All 3 cottons seem hard and it won't go through. Is there one in specific that I should try pushing harder?
All you need is to poke it, not push it in.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two of them have metal walls behind them and no don't push hard. Only need to do it gently

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All done. Poked, but also kinda ran it through the cotton and kinda frizzing it up. Just gotta wait and see now. I'll give it a few minutes

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All done. Poked, but also kinda ran it through the cotton and kinda frizzing it up. Just gotta wait and see now. I'll give it a few minutes
Hope it works, it's one of the better sub ohm tanks. The SS coils are good too, although I don't do TC as much as straight up power mode

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's really weird. I checked the cotton and it doesn't seem burned. But it's like vaping fog lol.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really weird. It's like vaping fog. No taste. But I think I've done it correctly because I heard a sputtering sound which I assume means a lot of juice in the cotton

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I noticed the vapor just goes straight up into the air. Sounds like a dumb thing to notice but normally with any other tank, it falls down presumably because VG is heavy?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol well I always noticed that after exhaling, the vapor either falls towards the floor or kinda just stays where it is. But this goes straight up. I officially am gonna give up on this tank. I think I flooded it too. I've tried a second 0.4 ohm coil and nothing

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol well I always noticed that after exhaling, the vapor either falls towards the floor or kinda just stays where it is. But this goes straight up. I officially am gonna give up on this tank. I think I flooded it too. I've tried a second 0.4 ohm coil and nothing
I don't get what your doing wrong. The NRG tank sucks

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I'm also stumped. I wicked it enough that its started to flood. How I'm still not getting any flavor, I have no idea. I've even vaped with the top slightly screwed off. If i'm not getting any flavor, then what is being vaped?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The cascade tank has been perfect for me. Even though the coils are nichrome. But I've never had a leak, dry hit. It's always been full flavored. Why don't many of the tank manufacturers use stainless steel or kanthal? Honestly I would even go with Kanthal

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't get what your doing wrong. The NRG tank sucks

So something funny. I had some doubts about the tank. Mainly because I could smell the juice vaping but I couldn't taste it. So I gave it one last chance. I used the 0.2ohm coil and a significantly richer tasting juice. It worked!!! I was thinking the tank doesn't work well with light flavors. I mainly vape fruity flavors. It doesn't work well with Hawaiian POG but works well with Green Blast. Although I can't say the flavors are night an day, or POG is just too light of a flavor, the Green Blast is much more rich.

Although the 0.2 is a bit harsh on the exhale

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The cascade tank has been perfect for me. Even though the coils are nichrome. But I've never had a leak, dry hit. It's always been full flavored. Why don't many of the tank manufacturers use stainless steel or kanthal? Honestly I would even go with Kanthal
There's loads of tanks that use Kanthal or SS

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After a week of reading and searching and reviewing, I finally decided on the Aspire Cleito. It sounded perfect. Lo and behold, I notice the "flavor" is clean, but it just tastes like clouds. Not the juice flavor. I even did the whole, unscrewing and everything else. No difference.

Does anyone know of a sub-ohm tank that uses premade stainless steel coils? I saw the TFV12 prince tank and the sticker on the back of the coil spares says "stainless 000". But I have no idea what that means or if its referring to the heating element or the body of the coil. Also, I've heard and seen SMOK products leaking continuously.

Any suggestions from experience? I usually use 70VG/30PG...or higher VG

I would definitely sacrifice huge clouds for flavor

I use these-
aspire-cleito-ss316lwatt-and-temp-control-box-front.jpg

In this-
aspire-cleito-exo-blue.jpg

I don't really care for the regular kanthal Cleito coils. If you notice on the box it says SS316L. You're right about stainless giving a cleaner flavor.

I don't care for the regular Cleito tank. With the Cleito Exo the air-flow is from the top. No more pesty leaks. You can't adjust it, but I like the draw just the way it is. The regular Cleito tank also gets hot, like bothersome hot. The Exo doesn't nearly as much.

I also have a Crown 3 that uses SS316L. It puts out great flavor. But it gets hot on me too.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
that's interesting. I also bought a pack of 0.4 coils but it doesn't mention "SS316L" on the top. Does that mean its Kanthal? Or fake?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
that's interesting. I also bought a pack of 0.4 coils but it doesn't mention "SS316L" on the top. Does that mean its Kanthal? Or fake?
You got the kanthal .4's. They make two .4Ω versions. The SS ones have black gaskets on them instead of orange.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The SS coils are good, you should order some and the Cleito Exo is a good tank too. Whatever they did with it gives better flavor than the original cleito & the airflow is pretty good. It's restricted but not too restricted

tejas240

Member For 2 Years
The Eleaf Ello has a HW1 ss coil, pretty tasty lower watt coil. If you have an Atlantis coil compatible tank one of the Triton coils is ss. Uwell Crown coils are ss, would stick with original Crown or Crown III. I know there are others, but none are coming to mind.
The ello hw1 coils are not ss, they are kanthal wires.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Heracles makes a SS coil. Its a pretty solid performer and delivers good flavor and satisfying clouds.

VU Sponsors