Become a Patron!

Which wire requires the least watts to get up to temp?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people, I might have this completely wrong and they all heat the same-but it seems that SS needs more power to get to temperature than NI200 and TI.

Say I had Identical coils, one NI200 at say 0.25, one titanium at 0.4, and one SS also at 0.4, all 26 gauge, what would require the least power to reach say 250C?

I am asking this as I am suprised with my Evic VT mini-I have only had to swap the battery ONCE today, and this battery still has a half charge. I have gone through quite a few mls of juice testing it out.

I just wanted to know if there was much of a difference, or wire type wont really effect battery life by needing more power to get up to and maintain temp.

Thanks people, Conan.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally, the smaller the wire the less watts needed. A small gauge wire will get up to temperature much quicker than a larger gauge; it's a matter of mass. I don't know of any reason the wire type should matter. But, with a regulated mod using temperature control, the end results may be quite different than expected. My evic VTC works great with nickel wire, but with titanium or stainless steel the temperature curves just ain't quite right. At least for my particular wire.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally, the smaller the wire the less watts needed. A small gauge wire will get up to temperature much quicker than a larger gauge; it's a matter of mass. I don't know of any reason the wire type should matter. But, with a regulated mod using temperature control, the end results may be quite different than expected. My evic VTC works great with nickel wire, but with titanium or stainless steel the temperature curves just ain't quite right. At least for my particular wire.

I think you missed the point of the question. He's asking about the different resistance characteristics between the wire comps @ varied resistance but same gauge.

"I don't know of any reason the wire type should matter."
Plainly put,different wire composition offers more/less resistance in comparison with others hence the reason you can't efficiently temp control kanthal aswell as the need to set a coefficient when using different TC wires.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Wind a coil with 28 gauge nickel, 28 gauge stainless, 28 gauge kanthal, 28 gauge nichrome, etc. Make that coil 8 turns (as an example), and feed that coil with 20 watts. You will notice that the heat generated in the coil is the same, no matter what the composition of the wire. The resistance of the coil will vary, as 8 turns of nickel has less resistance than 8 turns of kanthal. But the surface area of the wire is the same, and the heat buildup and dissipation are much the same if fed with equal amounts of power.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Wind a coil with 28 gauge nickel, 28 gauge stainless, 28 gauge kanthal, 28 gauge nichrome, etc. Make that coil 8 turns (as an example), and feed that coil with 20 watts. You will notice that the heat generated in the coil is the same, no matter what the composition of the wire. The resistance of the coil will vary, as 8 turns of nickel has less resistance than 8 turns of kanthal. But the surface area of the wire is the same, and the heat buildup and dissipation are much the same if fed with equal amounts of power.

Fair enough,maybe I'm the one that misunderstood what he meant.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe just a little more? There will be a difference in wire mass between materials, with both being the same 'size'. The density of the materials will vary between stainless, titanium, or any other. But with the small mass of the coils, and the relatively high power levels we now desire, variations in wicking and coil 'wetness', the actual heat-up time will vary. It would probably have to be measured in milliseconds.

Throw temperature control in there and you have a whole different story. Temp control is basically a 'power-limiting' technology to cut back on the delivered watts to keep the coil temperature in check. It does it by looking at the resistance change as the wire heats up. A whole 'nother ballgame compared to the heat-up time.

Will it make a difference in battery life? It shouldn't make a big difference as long as you're operating solely in wattage mode. Slight difference due to efficiency of the regulating circuit. Throw in temp control where you start cutting back on power (which reduces battery drain and increases battery life) and calculating battery time changes again!?!?

Mods vary greatly when using different wire types in temp control mode. Temp control is a widely varied and quite inaccurate technology.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe just a little more? There will be a difference in wire mass between materials, with both being the same 'size'. The density of the materials will vary between stainless, titanium, or any other. But with the small mass of the coils, and the relatively high power levels we now desire, variations in wicking and coil 'wetness', the actual heat-up time will vary. It would probably have to be measured in milliseconds.

Throw temperature control in there and you have a whole different story. Temp control is basically a 'power-limiting' technology to cut back on the delivered watts to keep the coil temperature in check. It does it by looking at the resistance change as the wire heats up. A whole 'nother ballgame compared to the heat-up time.

Will it make a difference in battery life? It shouldn't make a big difference as long as you're operating solely in wattage mode. Slight difference due to efficiency of the regulating circuit. Throw in temp control where you start cutting back on power (which reduces battery drain and increases battery life) and calculating battery time changes again!?!?

Mods vary greatly when using different wire types in temp control mode. Temp control is a widely varied and quite inaccurate technology.
I understand temp control to really be a kind of temp ceiling, and to be honest, only have used dual battery devices for the most part, as I have quite a large collection, to use TC.

I was very suprised yesterday, I got a evic vt mini as I just wanted the green, that simple, wasn't expecting much-but the TC is SMOOOOTH and the battery lasted longer than any single battery mod I own, IN TC mode.

I haven't tried a full day at power mode, but I think I will.

Uusually I change battery about 3 times a day-the new unit I changed once, and still had battery before bed.

I really can't work that one out.

But OK-A wire of different materials will practically heat up at the same time? If so, thats cool.

VU Sponsors