Become a Patron!

Whiskey caved

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL, yeah....but I cheated....I decided to forego wrapping and bought some premade, but hey....not bad for my first shot (single coil)

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0822094931_zpshs57dgjh.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0822196661_zpssfu8lqgd.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0826487711_zpsj2jj3ecr.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0830089801_zpslqwkag67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0840294962_zpsk8twdmkq.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
LOL, yeah....but I cheated....I decided to forego wrapping and bought some premade, but hey....not bad for my first shot (single coil)

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0822094931_zpshs57dgjh.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0822196661_zpssfu8lqgd.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0826487711_zpsj2jj3ecr.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0830089801_zpslqwkag67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160710_0840294962_zpsk8twdmkq.jpg

Well hell, you wicked it -- THAT is the hard part, not the wrapping-wire-around-something! I got the wrapping part down in about 2 tries... took 2-3 months to get really good at getting the "just right" amount.

Andria

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to ask: Are the coils worth it? I have the coils on my "to order" list.
The ones I just got from FT are feeling on the thin side (28g) but do-able, but as I get into it more I have a feeling I am going to want heavier wire pre mades. I haven't gotten my order of coils from coil master yet.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I may try wrapping my own at some point, what gauge wire do you use?

29ga; it's almost as fast as 30ga, and almost as sturdy as 28ga -- perfect compromise, IMO. I used to use 7 wraps, got coils around 1.6-1.7 ohms. Nowadays I use 9 wraps, which gives me coils just a smidge over 2 ohms. I use a 3/32 drillbit.

Andria

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use 28 for mom's subtank. 1.4ish coils.

Me 24 ga.

Cotton bacon is meh for the wick, holds a ton but going to test it against the muji.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
29ga; it's almost as fast as 30ga, and almost as sturdy as 28ga -- perfect compromise, IMO. I used to use 7 wraps, got coils around 1.6-1.7 ohms. Nowadays I use 9 wraps, which gives me coils just a smidge over 2 ohms. I use a 3/32 drillbit.

Andria
I use 28 for mom's subtank. 1.4ish coils.

Me 24 ga.

Cotton bacon is meh for the wick, holds a ton but going to test it against the muji.
Thanks for the great hints!!!!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just my own personal opinion, but I really prefer Shiseido cotton for wicking. It's pure white, so it's easy to tell when it gets gunked, and also easy to tell, when you pull an old wick, if there was any burning going on -- if it returns to pure white when rinsed in running water, even where the wick was inside the coil, then there's zero burning, so it was wicked perfectly. It's slightly less expensive than ko gen doh, and has the shortest breakin period of any cotton I've tried -- maybe 2-3 hits, then just pure vaporized ejuice goodness. Nordstrom's has it, and they offer free shipping.

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even if you build your own it's fine to buy pre made.
If for example you want very complex coils that are beyond you capabilities or that you are able but find out that the pre made are just as good as yours and don't cost that much.

Personally I prefer rolls of pre made coils that can then be wrapped with the number of wraps and ID that I like.
They comes in different qualities, I like the ones made by Geekvape and the ones by UD are not bad either.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even if you build your own it's fine to buy pre made.
If for example you want very complex coils that are beyond you capabilities or that you are able but find out that the pre made are just as good as yours and don't cost that much.

Personally I prefer rolls of pre made coils that can then be wrapped with the number of wraps and ID that I like.
They comes in different qualities, I like the ones made by Geekvape and the ones by UD are not bad either.
Oh wow, you mean instead of wire on the roll, that they come in strands?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for complex builds, there are high quality hand made coils like this one (some guys in VU sell their coils):
And there are mass produced coils like this one:
http://www.heavengifts.com/GeekVape-Prebuilt-Fused-Clapton-Coil.html

Is it the same type of coil? Yes.
Are they the same quality? No far from it, but that's why one costs 30-40$ and the other 4$

Personally i can go as far as making my own fused claptons, but this one is beyond my capabilities and patience.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ones I just got from FT are feeling on the thin side (28g) but do-able, but as I get into it more I have a feeling I am going to want heavier wire pre mades. I haven't gotten my order of coils from coil master yet.
I have 28 wire so I might play around with it first. I really don't have the patience but will have to get into the "mindset" of making coils.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is it the same type of coil? Yes.
Are they the same quality? No far from it, but that's why one costs 30-40$ and the other 4$
Thank you!

It's like I tell people - You can buy your shampoo at the dollar store, or you can get it from a high end salon. Some people don't need (or can't afford) anything more than what the dollar store has to offer. That's fine - with some folks, that's all they need. But others prefer a much higher quality shampoo, and are willing to pay for it. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But neither is vaping. Is it worth it? Absolutely! As long as you have a decent quality mod (or even a mediocre one), you can enjoy and appreciate both the bold and subtle nuances that a high quality coil will give to your vaping experience. Trust me, there's a reason why people are willing to pay a premium price for a high quality coil.

I'll stop now, because I'll end up writing a book if I keep going... :D

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My next build will be on a serpent mini & Nectar, I'll get pic's put up of those as I can:):)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know this is late, but for mtl, I stick with 28 or 26 ... either ss316 or Kanthal.

When the legs are going to be longer I wrap the screw head to help ad rigidity and dry burn the coil at low power to temper and strengthen the metal a little.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't gotten my order of coils from coil master yet.

Hey Whiskey,

I saw the link you posted on another thread and ordered a box too. I'm just assuming you ordered the 1.5's, any idea what the gauge and ID are for them? They only show pictures of the .4 and .6 box.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Whiskey,

I saw the link you posted on another thread and ordered a box too. I'm just assuming you ordered the 1.5's, any idea what the gauge and ID are for them? They only show pictures of the .4 and .6 box.
Coil Master Pre-built A1 Wire (#C06.0533)
Gauge: 1.5/100pcs

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coil Master Pre-built A1 Wire (#C06.0533)
Gauge: 1.5/100pcs

Aww I was hoping you might know the wire gauge and inside diameter of the coils.

How are you liking the draw on the Serpent mini?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aww I was hoping you might know the wire gauge and inside diameter of the coils.

How are you liking the draw on the Serpent mini?
I can close it almost right down, LOVE that, great MTL draw and awesome flavor, Let me get back up on Coilmasters site to see if they say the gauge on those coils better.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha, I hear ya. I'm right there with you. I have a kayfun mini v3 in the mail that I'm dying to try out.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What cotton you using Whiskey?
If you have not tried muji let me know I have a pile and would be willing to send ya some.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Build another Nectar, which is proving to be my got to tank right now.

thumbnail_IMG_20160726_085206088_HDR1_zpskpsrmajw.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160726_0859486001_zpsicoqzdmw.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160726_085433274_HDR1_zpsjlfiatdh.jpg

Got the cotton Nasty (thanks again), now to wick it

VU Sponsors