Become a Patron!

Who has successfully quit nicotine altogether just through vaping?

wsubookworm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My end goal to vaping instead of smoking is to quit nicotine altogether. Has anyone here done that, and what was your "schedule," so to speak, to wean yourself off of nicotine? I'm sure this has been asked before, but search wasn't bringing up what I was looking for. Thanks!

jaxxie1181

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My end goal to vaping instead of smoking is to quit nicotine altogether. Has anyone here done that, and what was your "schedule," so to speak, to wean yourself off of nicotine? I'm sure this has been asked before, but search wasn't bringing up what I was looking for. Thanks!

Personal anecdote. Your mileage may vary. I was smoking the equivalent of one and a half to two packs a day, rolling my own cigs with American Spirit tobacco and using tubes with short filters. I started with a little cig style e-cig and 18-24mg juice. Those quickly got way too harsh and bumped it down to like 12mg. I stayed comfy at 12mg for a some time. Maybe six months? I went down to 6mg and then went right down to 3mg. Stayed at 3mg for about a year and then I got the flu. Since thinking hurt so bad it made me want to cry, I didn't even think about vaping. I went about a week without vaping and realized by that point the nicotine had left my system and I'd already lumped the unpleasant experience of withdrawal in with an already unpleasant sickness. Now I will vape anywhere between a 0mg and a 3mg, but it's rare I vape 3mg. Usually I only vape 3mg if my husband has something really tasty in his tank and he's wants me to try it. I have found that I can tolerate sampling juices at the vape shop that may be in the 6mg range, but if I sample too much I get a headache.

So, yes, it is entirely possible to come off of nicotine completely and just vape for the hand-to-mouth/social/pleasure aspect of it. That's what I do. Vaping, even the 0 nic, keeps me from smoking cigarettes.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I smoked for over 45 years.
No nicotine for over a year and a half.
I started making 0mg juice, but kept one tank full of low nic juice for those times you just have to have a good hit to calm down.
I don't think nicotine is that additive, it's the other crap that's in cigs that keep you lighting up.

jaxxie1181

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think nicotine is that additive, it's the other crap that's in cigs that keep you lighting up.

+1! My experience, after being on no nic for a long time, is that vaping low doses of nic doesn't get me "hooked" back on the nic. I can easily go from 0mg to 3mg and then back to 0mg and have no withdrawal issues.

wsubookworm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome, thank you all! That's exactly what I was looking for. I think the next batch of juices I buy will be a lower nicotine level, and I'll work down over the next few months until I'm off nicotine altogether.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I smoked for 9 years (Marlboro black/ red 100s, camel filter 100s, occasional swisher) and when I started vaping I was up to 18-22 a day. I drive a lot for work and I just needed to fill the dead time with something. I started with 18% in an ego, then dropped to 12%. Once I got my subox mini I dropped to 6%, 3% then zero. That was about a month's span in total. A step a week or so. I wanted to enjoy more of the vape flavor so I decided to get the nicotine out asap. It's sorta like caffeine. In certain things you taste that more than anything else. . Good luck!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its been over two years and I do nor do I want to quit Nicotine as it is harmless in small quantities ... I would never be able to give up the kick or high or however you want to put it mildly fhe addiction to Nicotine.. But giving up Tar and Carbon Monoxide and the other 4,000 chemicals was great :)

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I originally cut to 0mg, with 5mg in the mornings. I think I went 11mg-9mg-5mg-0mg. I'd always keep something loaded up with the last strength in case I needed it. I knew it was time to cut it again when I stopped compensating by vaping more. That time it took me 2 months from the time I quit smoking. I was in a rush because I was thinking I might have cancer.
Then I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and nicotine helped me meds I was on work so I went up to 18mg.
That was 3.5 years ago. That medicine is no longer working and I'm changing. So I'm also cutting nicotine since it's no longer needed. 18mg to 9mg was nothing, after 1 day at 9mg 18mg was too strong. Today I felt a little heady with 9mg. I just started cutting my nicotine 5 days ago.
Also at the day of my scopes that decided the old meds aren't working I went 0mg from midnight to noon for sedations. Of course I was out for part of that time but I never did have any huge cravings even on the nervous ride there (I was vaping a lot but didn't mind that I wasn't getting nicotine).

My conclusion is if you have the luxury of time quit cigarettes first, quit them well. Then you can more easily cut nicotine.
If you don't have the luxury of time make your drops small. Keep some of the last strength for times you notice your vaping too much to compensate.

Of course YMMV, we're all individuals and don't all get hooked on the same things at the same levels.

VU Sponsors