Become a Patron!

Who makes the best blueberry concentrate?

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who makes the best blueberry concentrate? Not a candy taste but a natural blueberry taste.
I just can't seem to find one. TFA blueberry is like candy. LA seems the same.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
NF Organic Blueberry. Must breathe and steep. Delicious!

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, to sound silly Sully but what is NF?
I've only tried the blueberry flavoring from MBV and I think they get their stuff from FW but I really like the stuff.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Blueberry extra from TFA doesn't taste candy like to me. It's a little dry, but spot on for blueberry taste IMO. 15%. It does dirty coils fast though.
Haven't tried the extra just the blueberry.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who makes the best blueberry concentrate? Not a candy taste but a natural blueberry taste.
I just can't seem to find one. TFA blueberry is like candy. LA seems the same.
When I got my blueberry from WizardLabs, they had candy and one called blueberry extra. It has a less-sugary taste.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which TFA Blueberry are you using? I like the Blueberry Extra quite a bit and feel
Blueberry extra from TFA doesn't taste candy like to me. It's a little dry, but spot on for blueberry taste IMO. 15%. It does dirty coils fast though.

I've been using it since day one of my DIY experience, and still like it a lot. I recently bought four other blueberry concentrates to test against it, and it's still on top. That said, I did not have any of the FA products in my lineup, so I ordered a bottle of the Bilberry this week :)

I think there's actually room for a couple of blueberry flavors in my stash. Natural flavor is good, and I can see where a sweeter , more artificial flavor would help as well. Time will tell.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

now see.. this is what has me worried..
what if I wanted to add another 6 flavors.. but i have this 15%er.. :oops:

this is why i like the so called "super concentrates" :D

I do have a few juices with at least 15+ flavors in them.. all weighing in under 20% flavoring..
i could only imagine what a 15% flavor could do for my tiny recipes :rolleyes::p

is really good! http://inawerashop.com/concentrate-blueberry-10-ml-p-801.html

and I am waiting on this one:
http://inawerashop.com/eflavour-shisha-bilberry-10-ml-p-742.html

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
15% is his stand alone percentage. I use it at 4%-10% depending on the effect I want it to have upon the final recipe.

yeps.. i know this, Cavediver.. still.. it's extremely high..
and quality concentrates do not need as much.
i have one flavor from vz.. you only need 1 "drop" literally, for a 30ml..

*rambles off to play with my vz stuffs.. :D

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. Yeah When responding to things on the ECF board, I always tried to keep the newbie in mind; sometimes they read things and take them as gospel when they shouldn't ...

Anyhow...
That's something I wonder about. It seems to me that it's the concentration of flavor molecules that counts, not the theoretical percentage of flavor in a recipe. Once you reach the overload point does it matter if it's super concentrated VZ, or plain jane TFA? Is that overload point the same with one flavor recipes as it is with multi-flavor recipes? I often see the 20% number thrown around as the magical cap on flavoring percentages. I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a fair guide for many (most?) of the flavor companies. What about the folks like you who are using VZ or even FA? Do you have a max flavor percentage number?

Sorry for the threadjack folks :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Lol. Yeah When responding to things on the ECF board, I always tried to keep the newbie in mind; sometimes they read things and take them as gospel when they shouldn't ...

Anyhow...
That's something I wonder about. It seems to me that it's the concentration of flavor molecules that counts, not the theoretical percentage of flavor in a recipe. Once you reach the overload point does it matter if it's super concentrated VZ, or plain jane TFA? Is that overload point the same with one flavor recipes as it is with multi-flavor recipes? I often see the 20% number thrown around as the magical cap on flavoring percentages. I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a fair guide for many (most?) of the flavor companies. What about the folks like you who are using VZ or even FA? Do you have a max flavor percentage number?

Sorry for the threadjack folks :)

personally.. i have yet to reach a "flavor cap" but i do keep up with individual percentages..
see.. you can only add so much, before it either tastes "off" "nasty" or fades away..
but high percentages just is not my "thang" and i steer away from pg.. as it makes me cough and worse..

I do try and tell every one.. no matter the flavor company.. start low and work from there..
even one "drop" can throw a recipe off..

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I have a personal flavor cap of 10%. some of my older recipes go above that but these days I rarely go over 6. once i hit 5 I start re considering my recipe. my reason is flavor inhalation. I like to use flavors that only need a couple percent. not that there is anything wrong with 20% flavoring (other than its waaaaaay to much lo and usually over flavored even with TFA) l I just personally want to inhale as little flavoring as possible.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is kinda how I look at it... Looking at a full bottle of eliquid, imagine that 1/5 of it is a concoction of flavors. Nope, don't want to vape that because in DIY I don't have to. I don't have a cap, but I try and stay low.

I'm still pretty new at this, only a few months or so doing DIY. A couple of my recipes are a little higher than I'd like them to be, but they're nowhere near 20%. All the best recipes of other people's I've tried (HIC and wllmc) aren't high and are superior in taste.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I should have Billberry arriving today.

But, perhaps I should have ordered TFA Blueberry (not Extra), because I really want a Hostess Blueberry Pie. :/

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me, I prefer the "Less is better" approach......

But this does NOT ensure that I am vaping Less "Flavoring".
If Company "A" sells me their concentrate and they cut it 20/1, but company "B" sells me their version but its cut 10/1 I would have to double up the use of the "concentrate" to achieve identicle ppm.
Not always the case... just an example....

Anyways...........

LimeB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone know what Highbrow use, as their Blueberry is great?

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I posted this in another thread by accident but this is where it belongs.

OK. So Bilberry got the top vote on this thread as far as I can tell. I received my latest flavor delivery from the post woman today which included a 30ml of FA Bilberry (bought due to this thread). I was excited as I have never tried it and all the rave reviews. I must say that out of the 3 blueberry flavors that I currently use, I like this one the least! Totally disappointed. I tried it solo @ 3%, then 5%, upped it to 10% and went as high as 15%. This flavor is extremely weak in my opinion. On a new build I could barely even taste the flavor. What I could taste is an artificial, slightly plasticy, unpleasent tone to my otherwise 100% VG mixture. I proceeded to drip my organic blueberry (less than 10% mix) on the same build (after a few ml of testing Bilberry) and YUM. Sooooo much better, totally blueberry and no grossness. Maybe I'm just accustom to 100% organic but Natures Flavors blueberry IMO is far superior to Bilberry. I honestly don't think I will use the rest of this 30ml bottle. Just not good or tasty. I know I'm the minority and taste is subjective but this is not even close for me.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting.
I've been using it in a multi-flavor mix at 2% and taste it just fine. IMO, it's got a slightly different profile than the rest of the blueberry flavors I've tried. Not better or worse really, just different. In any case, I'm keeping it in the rack along with my long-standing favorite Blueberry Extra by TFA.

Sorry your experience with it wasn't so good :(

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I tried it solo @ 3%, then 5%, upped it to 10% and went as high as 15%. This flavor is extremely weak in my opinion.

15% FA Bilberry would probably make me puke, lol!
I use 0.5% Bilberry and add Fresh Cream for light blueberries 'n cream.
1% is about the max I use, but some people like flavors twice as strong as I do, and might start at 2%.
Honestly, I know it's hard to believe, but you might have overshot it with just 3%. You definitely did by 10-15%. That's just way too much.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I will certainly give it another go around. I have a lot of FA but none ever taste very good to me. Probably mixed too high and ruined it? What % FA fresh cream? maybe I'll try your light blueberries 'n cream.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks. I will certainly give it another go around. I have a lot of FA but none ever taste very good to me. Probably mixed too high and ruined it? What % FA fresh cream? maybe I'll try your light blueberries 'n cream. 0.5% that's about 4 drops in a 30ml. Right?

You'd have to measure how many drops per ml your dropper makes. If you're using the little sample-sized bottles from Purevapes.com - which make about 33 drops per ml - you can add 1 drop of flavoring to 6ml of your nic for 0.5% flavoring, or 1 drop of flavoring to 3ml of your nic for 1% flavoring.

I would never ever make 30ml of juice with flavoring I didn't know I love! I always recommend making the smallest possible batch when trying new flavors.

I like 1% Bilberry, 0.5% Fresh Cream, 0.5% Meringue a lot. That's sweet, creamy, strong blueberry.

You might find something useful here for whatever blueberry you like best: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-notes-on-flavourart-bilberry.2720/
I wrote there that I hadn't tried others, but I have had TFA's Wild Blueberry. I used that successfully in bakery recipes long ago, but with FA Bilberry, I no longer have much use for that TFA flavor.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You'd have to measure how many drops per ml your dropper makes. If you're using the little sample-sized bottles from Purevapes.com - which make about 33 drops per ml - you can add 1 drop of flavoring to 6ml of your nic for 0.5% flavoring, or 1 drop of flavoring to 3ml of your nic for 1% flavoring.

I would never ever make 30ml of juice with flavoring I didn't know I love! I always recommend making the smallest possible batch when trying new flavors.

I like 1% Bilberry, 0.5% Fresh Cream, 0.5% Meringue a lot. That's sweet, creamy, strong blueberry.

You might find something useful here for whatever blueberry you like best: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-notes-on-flavourart-bilberry.2720/
I wrote there that I hadn't tried others, but I have had TFA's Wild Blueberry. I used that successfully in bakery recipes long ago, but with FA Bilberry, I no longer have much use for that TFA flavor.
Thanks for the tips! I have some experimenting to do.:)

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK. So I tried Bilberry @ .25% - .5 and 1%. Same experience. Tastes pretty much like 100% VG (i can barely detect a flavor) with slight unpleasantness. The more bilberry, the more unpleasant it gets. Is it necessary to use PG with FA? How could so many people like this flavor, but I think it's awful? Do I need to let it steep for a week or something? I have like 30+/- FA flavors and I don't use any of them for similar reasons. I still feel like I must be doing something wrong...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK. So I tried Bilberry @ .25% - .5 and 1%. Same experience. Tastes pretty much like 100% VG (i can barely detect a flavor) with slight unpleasantness. The more bilberry, the more unpleasant it gets. Is it necessary to use PG with FA? How could so many people like this flavor, but I think it's awful? Do I need to let it steep for a week or something? I have like 30+/- FA flavors and I don't use any of them for similar reasons. I still feel like I must be doing something wrong...

Hmm, lots people use VG only, so it's not that. I wonder if it could possibly be your VG? If you really have 30 FA flavors you don't like, I would think it's worth trying a different bottle of VG!

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Sully, where are you getting your FA from? I know certain suppliers rebottle and I've gotten FA from one vendor in particular that was not fresh and pretty terrible.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@glassgrl ecigexpress. I order most of my flavoring through them. I use mainly Natures Flavors organic but also enjoy many TFA, some FW and a few jungle flavor, Inawera, etc. @AmandaD I don't think it's my VG because I have 70+ flavors from other vendors which I do like (mixed with the same VG)! I do have a fresh liter of VG I got with my last VT nicotine order, perhaps I'll crack it open and try but I seriously have my doubts. Thanks for your responses!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Edited Blueberry amounts
TFA Blueberry Wild is # 1 at 5%, and I still use it a lot.
You could always try mixing 2 different Blueberries together.
Pure VG can be slow to absorb some flavors, but a hot water bath, crock pot, or heated UC will help some.
It may help to get your total PG percent up to 10% minimum when using FA flavors.
I suspect your 70 other flavor brands, that work ok, are used at +10%, and most likely PG based.
Try to get a 10/90VG or 15/85VG final mix ratio with your FA flavorings by adding some plain PG.
That is, assuming your nic is VG base...
PG does carry flavors better, and that's why most flavor brands are using a PG base.
VZ carries alcohol-based flavors that will mix with anything.
I like to order my FA & Inawera from BullCity, as they come in their original bottles.

Last edited:

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@glassgrl ecigexpress. I order most of my flavoring through them.

OK, yeah. That's the one. I got a couple FA flavors from them and specifically Irish Cream was the nastiest tasting dark brown goo. I gave up on it for awhile thinking that's how it was. Not. I've since ordered it from that place in Cali and PureVapes and it was delish, light in color and fresh. You might want to try another vendor for FA? Give the bilberry another go from elsewhere before replacing all your VG and driving yourself nuts, kwim? Also, I've heard good things about Inawera blueberry. Have it, haven't tried it.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FA Bilberry is # 1 for me now at 2-3%.
TFA Blueberry Wild is # 2 at 10%, and I still use it a lot.
You could always try mixing the 2 different ones together.
Pure VG can be slow to absorb some flavors, but a hot water bath, crock pot, or heated UC will help some.
It may help to get your total PG percent up to 10% minimum when using FA flavors.
I suspect your 70 other flavor brands, that work ok, are used at +10%, and most likely PG based.
Try to get a 10/90VG or 15/85VG final mix ratio with your FA flavorings by adding some plain PG.
That is, assuming your nic is VG base...
PG does carry flavors better, and that's why most flavor brands are using a PG base.
VZ carries alcohol-based flavors that will mix with anything.
I like to order my FA & Inawera from BullCity, as they come in their original bottles.
It's just bad no matter how I mix it. Tried it in a 10/90 PG/VG. Yuck, same as before. Tried it 50/50 REALLY YUCK both were at 1%. The taste of the 50/50 reminds me of the chemically pg smell/taste and cotton. No blueberry flavor at all, really repulsing. :( I may give it another shot, ordering from BullCity next time I need flavoring. I'm not touching this 30ml Bilberry again unless it's to give it away or place it in the trash bin. Thanks for all your feedback!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Accidentally hit reply instead of edit....

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@glassgrl ecigexpress. I order most of my flavoring through them. I use mainly Natures Flavors organic but also enjoy many TFA, some FW and a few jungle flavor, Inawera, etc. @AmandaD I don't think it's my VG because I have 70+ flavors from other vendors which I do like (mixed with the same VG)! I do have a fresh liter of VG I got with my last VT nicotine order, perhaps I'll crack it open and try but I seriously have my doubts. Thanks for your responses!

Interesting. I've read before about someone having issues with flavors from there, but I've not had a problem (as far as I know).

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't either.. Just got a new bottle of Irish Cream.. its almost clear.
Never had any issues on flavors from ecx except on the tasty puff on which they do not want to restock.
was told tasty puff line is going to be leaving them..

as for the bilberry.. I like it around 1 to 1.5% but.. I always add cream or ddl to mine.. straight.. naw.. I gota play with my juices :p

kabalm18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WTH...the fa irish cream I got from rtsvapes is as dark as fa cocoa.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
sorries!!!!!!! I just checked my bottle.. it's dark.. :oops::rolleyes:

but somehow I have 2 30ml of catalan i mistook for irish..:p

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just bad no matter how I mix it. Tried it in a 10/90 PG/VG. Yuck, same as before. Tried it 50/50 REALLY YUCK both were at 1%. The taste of the 50/50 reminds me of the chemically pg smell/taste and cotton. No blueberry flavor at all, really repulsing. :( I may give it another shot, ordering from BullCity next time I need flavoring. I'm not touching this 30ml Bilberry again unless it's to give it away or place it in the trash bin. Thanks for all your feedback!
I ordered mine from ECX and I had the same reaction to it as you did....its like someone removed all sweetness from a blueberry, so bitter! I did end up using it to back other blueberries @ about .25% or so to give them an extra sourness because most I have tried are too sweet. I have tried blueberry xtra and wasnt a fan but I will be checking out B.Wild for sure.....Had a friend give me some juice he made with shisha blueberry INA and I enjoyed it a lot...glad I found this thread!

Edit: OoOoO and has anyone tried LA's Blueberry(candy or real ...and higher/lower %'s ?)??

Last edited:

VU Sponsors