Become a Patron!

Who uses a fuse in a mech?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Help settle an argument.
Got a friend how says a lot of people use fuses in mechs, I say most people don't.
What do you think?

No need to turn this thread into a mech safety thread, already know all about it.
It's just a fuse usage survey.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well I for one don't use any fuses in any of my mechs.. :)

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All REOs have a spring that collapses if the battery overheats. It is fuse like in that the collapse breaks the connection.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use an Evolv Kick

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems kicks and fuses are much less popular than they were a year or two ago...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems kicks and fuses are much less popular than they were a year or two ago...
I agree..I would also think a fuse could add extra voltage drop on the mod itself..don't know for sure though as I've never used a fuse myself..

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
I used to use mechanical fuses in the few mechanical mods that I owned that would accommodate them. I used to regularly use a mechanical fuse in the Nemesis because with the addition of the beauty ring it would fit without any issues. Depending on the atomizer I could use a mechanical fuse in the older GP Paps mods that had a telescoping pin by removing it. I don't sub-ohm, so inadvertently tripping the fuse wasn't an issue for me, although it would certainly be a problem for those who vape at higher wattages (depending on the fuse amp rating). Unfortunately, as I collected more mechanical mods I wasn't able to fit a fuse in them without creating gaps which I don't like, so I stopped using them a long time ago. I would have to guess that only a very small percentage of mechanical mod users employ fuses.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used em a couple years back. When I began to build .6 Ohm coils, they popped, so I stopped using them and got better batteries.

scotterics

Member For 4 Years
No fuse here...
I build at 0.4-0.5 and use Samsung 25Rs..

My philosophy is that the coils will act as their own fuse and pop before my battery does (in theory anyhow... Please don't put yourself at risk on my "say so" without doing your own research)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No fuse here...
I build at 0.4-0.5 and use Samsung 25Rs..

My philosophy is that the coils will act as their own fuse and pop before my battery does (in theory anyhow... Please don't put yourself at risk on my "say so" without doing your own research)
I feel just like you, make the same build and use the same batteries.
My friend did bring up the possibility of 510 pin failure in hybrids and atomizer insulator failure, in which cases the coil will not pop, but naaa still not going to use a fuse.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No fuses here but do use protected batteries (though one shouldn't depend on them to save your butt) in my mech mods (and don't sub-ohm on 'em). They're crappy batteries, though (shamefully whispers trustfi...)
Have some real batteries for the VW mods that i've ordered. I can say this for 'em, though, when I was doing a build a couple of weeks ago things were going fine until I was putting things together, at which time the coil got bumped and messed up; the built in batt protection kicked in and actually did its job (which was actually kinda surprising - phew!)

Last edited:

retic1959

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Never used a fuse , the lowest I build is .3 , well within the margin for my VTC4' & 5's .

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use no fuse.

Doesn't the use of a fuse make it semi-mechanical? Doesn't that mean all users of fully mechanical mods are running fuse less? Just trying to give you some ammo if you want to play lawyerball with your buddy. ;)

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a resettable fuse but don't remember what it was rated for but I used it once or twice. now it's in my tool box.

chewedatty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd like to use my sigelei kick but my 69 won't take it....Must get a real evolve one i suppose.

VU Sponsors