Become a Patron!

Why are my batteries underperforming?

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys! New to the forums here, looks like a cool community! So I've got a little problem. I have a 100w eLeaf iStick box and IPV4 tank, love them both to pieces. Recently I bought these batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUI45AU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
They charge fine. Box displays it's fully charged, I puff on it for a few mins no problem at 50w no issues at all, still displaying fully/almost fully charged. Now, if I go passed 50 the box displays "low power". This doesn't make sense to me. Are my batteries defective? Are they not strong enough? I figured they would be. Also, same problem occurs while hooked up to the charger on the wall.

Please please please help! I wanna get cloudy! ;)

EDIT:

After really looking into it, it appears I did buy some counterfeit batteries. Lol, the ones I got from the head shop are MXJO IMR 18650 3.7V, 2800 mAh 35A, What do you guys think of these? They don't last long, like a few hours at most hitting at 70w. Do they make better ones?

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting - those batteries should be fine, but either they're fakes or there's something wrong with the Istick. What's happening when they're on the charger?

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Interesting - those batteries should be fine, but either they're fakes or there's something wrong with the Istick. What's happening when they're on the charger?

It did cross my mine that I could've gotten ripped with fakes, but it's Amazon. Thousands of that same one have been bought before, it doesn't seem likely. When on the charger, same thing, the battery will show it's being charged, but will still say low power if I cross 50w.

It could be the istick, but 2 different batteries I bought at the smoke shop (very trusty guys) worked just fine at higher wattage. The reason I don't want to use them is because they seem to only hold a charge for a few hours at most.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just because they are available at Amazon doesn't mean the batteries are genuine. They aren't shipped and sold by Amazon. Some re-seller just pays Amazon a commission to list their products...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys! New to the forums here, looks like a cool community! So I've got a little problem. I have a 100w eLeaf iStick box and IPV4 tank, love them both to pieces. Recently I bought these batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUI45AU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
They charge fine. Box displays it's fully charged, I puff on it for a few mins no problem at 50w no issues at all, still displaying fully/almost fully charged. Now, if I go passed 50 the box displays "low power". This doesn't make sense to me. Are my batteries defective? Are they not strong enough? I figured they would be. Also, same problem occurs while hooked up to the charger on the wall.

Are you charing the batteries inside the Istick?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine seems to work fine with those sammies (actually the slightly older blue ones), but I haven't taken them much over 50-60 watts. If you don't get that warning with other batteries I suspect those are just bad. I'd return them!

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine seems to work fine with those sammies (actually the slightly older blue ones), but I haven't taken them much over 50-60 watts. If you don't get that warning with other batteries I suspect those are just bad. I'd return them!

After really looking into it, it appears I did buy some counterfeit batteries. Lol, the ones I got from the head shop are MXJO IMR 18650 3.7V, 2800 mAh 35A, What do you guys think of these? They don't last long, like a few hours at most hitting at 70w. Do they make better ones?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
genuine samsung 25rs are great! I get mine from liionwholesale.com.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

EDIT:

MXJOs are phony Chinese rewraps. Pitch em and buy some authentic batteries. Such as ones already suggested in previous posts.

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
genuine samsung 25rs are great! I get mine from liionwholesale.com.

Is there a big difference between the 25R and 29E? I bought two of each along with a Nitecore I2 2 Bay Li-ion Battery Charger.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there a big difference between the 25R and 29E? I bought two of each along with a Nitecore I2 2 Bay Li-ion Battery Charger.
The 29E is a 2.75 amp battery and wont work for vaping. You need a minimum 20 amp battery. I'd send the 29E back and stick with 25R's
The 29E would be a cherry bomb waiting to happen if the mod even fires.

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 29E is a 2.75 amp battery and wont work for vaping. You need a minimum 20 amp battery. I'd send the 29E back and stick with 25R's

Damn... I think it's too late to request they don't ship them lol. Should have done some more research. The 25Rs should be able to hit over 50w with my set up right? The official ones I mean, not counterfeits lol.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn... I think it's too late to request they don't ship them lol. Should have done some more research. The 25Rs should be able to hit over 50w with my set up right? The official ones I mean, not counterfeits lol.
Yes, I use them at 70 ish watts all the time.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 25R's will safely do up to 120 watts.

As far as run time goes It depends on the power you use and how often you hit it. Crazy stressed out chain vaping I can kill a battery fairly fast that's why I got 14 of them.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's always best to stick with Samsung, Sony or LG battery's. These are the manufactures and when they test them the ones that meet specs are A stock and sold by them the others are B stock and are sold to the re-wrappers. Buy from a reputable dealer like liionwholesale or or some of the others folks on the forum use. I'm sure someone will chime in with there trusted dealers. Stay away from Ebay or Amazon Not that there all bad but you never know for sure what there selling. I'm not saying B stocks are bad I have some efest and imren battery's that work fine and NEVER buy a battery with fire in it's name.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

29E is actually rated for 3C so that's 8-9A or so but still your advice is spot on that it's generally not a good battery for vaping.

Agreed that you really want the 25R or for more mAh you can use the Samsung 30Q/LG HG2

mysteryhf

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
29E is actually rated for 3C so that's 8-9A or so but still your advice is spot on that it's generally not a good battery for vaping.

Agreed that you really want the 25R or for more mAh you can use the Samsung 30Q/LG HG2

My dog was chewing on my 29E's when I got home... luckily I don't need them anyway lol. 25Rs rock man. Thanks for the quick shipping.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My dog was chewing on my 29E's when I got home... luckily I don't need them anyway lol. 25Rs rock man. Thanks for the quick shipping.
Once had a dog that would chew on anything with a battery in it, Never did figure that one out.

VU Sponsors