Become a Patron!

why are my coils reading way off

im trying to find a new better build for my vcp. so i figured buy a set of premade coils see if i like them before buying materials.

well i bought a pair of fused claptons. specs 2x28/40 all kanthal, 3mm id 10 wrap. according to the manufacturer .55 is where it should ohm out for a pair. steam engine seems to verify this. so i install them. im getting .86-.88. why is it so far off the estimate? i never had such deviation before in any estimates i had gotten

i was previously using a pair of 26/32 claptons i was somewhat happy with but was told fused claptons are the way to go. the 26/32 were slow to cool down so i was told a very fine outer wrap will help. i did my research but dont seem to be getting the results i want. looking for 10-12 wrap dual fused claptions with a fine outer wrap.

what are your thoughts on my current fused claptions

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im trying to find a new better build for my vcp. so i figured buy a set of premade coils see if i like them before buying materials.

well i bought a pair of fused claptons. specs 2x28/40 all kanthal, 3mm id 10 wrap. according to the manufacturer .55 is where it should ohm out for a pair. steam engine seems to verify this. so i install them. im getting .86-.88. why is it so far off the estimate? i never had such deviation before in any estimates i had gotten

i was previously using a pair of 26/32 claptons i was somewhat happy with but was told fused claptons are the way to go. the 26/32 were slow to cool down so i was told a very fine outer wrap will help. i did my research but dont seem to be getting the results i want. looking for 10-12 wrap dual fused claptions with a fine outer wrap.

what are your thoughts on my current fused claptions
I would check to make sure everything this is tightened down. Also maybe take the atomizer off and wipe down the 510 just for cleanliness. But the issue you have is more than likely a loose connection

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Take a wrap or two off each coil. They may have just put the wrong wire guage coils in your package.

they are tiny cores. now its 8 wrap on both sides. definitely warmer and better but not exactly what im seeking. just a few vapes in i am enjoying that fine outer wrap. smooth, no spitting, but am i on the right track to get to a .45-.50 resistance with the 2x28/40 and to get a lil more metal into my series mech?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
they are tiny cores. now its 8 wrap on both sides. definitely warmer and better but not exactly what im seeking. just a few vapes in i am enjoying that fine outer wrap. smooth, no spitting, but am i on the right track to get to a .45-.50 resistance with the 2x28/40 and to get a lil more metal into my series mech?

Yes, those coils at 0.88 10 wraps would be great in a series mech

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think Brad is right
ca2795ee16cf7afec24a7abf3126ce01.jpg
9e258b2fbad313198a4dd5182c52fe76.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
8 wraps says .719 but with the extra uncoiling it may be off a little. So the cores may be 30 guage

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
everything is clean and was very tight. i took one coil and put it in a different atty and dame thing. just a single coil ohms 1.68.
Your not making good contact with the conductor wires..... the core wire.... the wrap is a causing the read error.. tighter screw or maybe remove a bit of the outer wrap wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Negative, Ghost Rider, his coils were read correctly, he had 2x30awg cores and 10 wraps, that comes out to what he got for one coil
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=1.6&str=2&id=3
Then I missed something OP was 2x28/40 spec'd at 1.1 per coil..... he got built read around .8... that sounds like connection error. Sounds like sheathing causing miss read.

In the old days we removed the wrap from the legs to get good contact when we stalling self wicking coils. Or what are called claptons today.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Then I missed something OP was 2x28/40 spec'd at 1.1 per coil..... he got built read around .8... that sounds like connection error. Sounds like sheathing causing miss read.

In the old days we removed the wrap from the legs to get good contact when we stalling self wicking coils. Or what are called claptons today.

I think you missed the other posts after the OP

I' willing to bet they are 2x30/40

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

He stated that as dual coil it's .88 and as single coil is 1.68 which is close enough to being correct connections. Half of 1.68(dual version) is .84ohm

VU Sponsors