Become a Patron!

Why are my ohms so far off from steam engine's calculations?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been building almost exclusively with Kanthal. I just got some Ni-80 and I wanted to make some 3-core aliens. When I put everything in steam engine it said the coil would be .261 ohm, but when I built the coil it was less than .05 in dual coil. I thought I might have made a mistake somehow so I built another pair of coils with the same specs 3*26 ni80 with 34 ni80 wrap. Here is a screen shot of wire wiz
2017-10-25_09h26_10.png

If anyone has any idea of what I could be doing wrong I would really appreciate the input. I have tried these coils in my Petri 24 as well as my tsunami 24 with the same resistance on both.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been building almost exclusively with Kanthal. I just got some Ni-80 and I wanted to make some 3-core aliens. When I put everything in steam engine it said the coil would be .261 ohm, but when I built the coil it was less than .05 in dual coil. I thought I might have made a mistake somehow so I built another pair of coils with the same specs 3*26 ni80 with 34 ni80 wrap. Here is a screen shot of wire wiz
View attachment 95028

If anyone has any idea of what I could be doing wrong I would really appreciate the input. I have tried these coils in my Petri 24 as well as my tsunami 24 with the same resistance on both.
I can never get that one to work on anything but round wire. Haven't messed with it much. I use the vape tool app for Android.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only do round wire, single or parallel so no help from here.
Sorry.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can never get that one to work on anything but round wire. Haven't messed with it much. I use the vape tool app for Android.

I tried that app (I had to buy the pro version though) and it gave me the correct resistance. Thanks for telling me about it!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried that app (I had to buy the pro version though) and it gave me the correct resistance. Thanks for telling me about it!
Hell I've used it so long I forgot about the pro version. Glad to help.

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine are usually very close to steam engine once the hot spots are worked out. You sure you don’t have some hot spots to work out? Also, a leg length of 1mm seems pretty short, hard to believe each leg is only 0.5mm. Maybe try inputting 3-4mm which is probably closer to reality.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine are usually very close to steam engine once the hot spots are worked out. You sure you don’t have some hot spots to work out? Also, a leg length of 1mm seems pretty short, hard to believe each leg is only 0.5mm. Maybe try inputting 3-4mm which is probably closer to reality.
Hot spots wouldn't account for that much of a difference. I used the shortest possible leg length to err on the side of caution. Inputting a longer leg length will raise my resistance which steam engine is already giving too high of a resistance calculation anyway.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors