Become a Patron!

Why are they called ecigs?

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great article #cigarbabe. Marketing is key! I think I've hit you up on fb before if I remember correctly lol. Vaper community is tight and us social vapers seem to be attending the same events or knowing the same people. How you doing? Nice to see you in hear. Keep in touch.

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol just saw your profile. I see your owner of nova broadcasting. Been to it once to many times. Lol

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally, and most importantly perhaps, smokers are not interested in quitting, they want to keep going without the harm. You can forget about the ridiculous results of surveys that say things like, "Most smokers want to quit". Of course they don't: they want to keep smoking, but without any consequences. That's why the questions in these surveys are always wrong, and probably deliberately so. If instead we asked a far more sensible and realistic question: "Would you like to keep smoking but with a 99.9% reduction in risk and also at only 25% of the cost?", then 10,000 smokers would immediately be screaming "Yes, yes, please YES" in your ear. Understandably.

this is a huge point imo.. we talk a lot about "quit smoking cigarettes switch to vaping" when we should be saying "keep all the pleasures you get from smoking and take on less than 1% of the risk" .. as a community i think we should move towards communicating it this way, stress the fact that you arent quitting (or rather giving up) anything.. after they have converted then they can make the nic level decisions and what not. good article though

Bado

Member For 4 Years
I may be the odd duck but would really like to lose the ecig moniker. I don't smoke ecigs. I Vape. Calling them ecigs only identifies it with smoking which gives call for the antis to legislate it as such. I understand the marketing idea but it would've gone where it went just same only a little more thought would've been needed to make the point. Ecig was just laziness.

Bado

Member For 4 Years
I thought I should also add that I have looked at the site and read some of the articles. I do agree with everything they are doing, I only think it is better to forth the extra effort to explain and call things what they really are. For example, their article on nicotine and addiction is pretty awesome. Only thing is, likely most who read it will be vapors. The thing that needs to happen is get to the general public. Maybe a fund set up to advertise the truth on nic and vaping. Maybe a fund to advertise the truth about everything we have been duped about. Including mxrijuana.

God I hate being duped. Especially by politicians. Cruz they suck.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I may be the odd duck but would really like to lose the ecig moniker. I don't smoke ecigs. I Vape. Calling them ecigs only identifies it with smoking which gives call for the antis to legislate it as such. I understand the marketing idea but it would've gone where it went just same only a little more thought would've been needed to make the point. Ecig was just laziness.
I feel the exact same way, so you're not alone. It provides word association, which is very powerful, as it's the first thing people hear or see when learning about them. They generally don't go much further, unless interested in utilizing them.

Therefore, cigarette is associated permanently with their impressions. It's one of those things that shouldn't matter, but while trying to spread the message that vaping is safe, and should not be taken from us, maybe little changes in wording such as that can make a bigger difference than one might think?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me as well. They are Mech Mods and Mods. It is vaping. I do get a lot of rolled eyes, though, since Im the only vaper in the house, and understandably they don't give a shit about my beautiful new coil I might have wrapped. Lol.

I understand the article. But people have heard of electronic-cigarettes. So when I talk to them and they ask if it's an electronic-cigarette I tell them no but the electronic design is similar. The first thing I do is attempt to disassociate our devices with smoking, going on to explain that it's a device that takes away the desire to smoke, it doesn't so much replicate a smoking experience as it offers a far more satisfying one. Then I let them try it. With a good adjustable air flow and kick I rarely find smokers saying it's not something they'd like to try more of.

Bado

Member For 4 Years
I understand the article. But people have heard of electronic-cigarettes. So when I talk to them and they ask if it's an electronic-cigarette I tell them no but the electronic design is similar. The first thing I do is attempt to disassociate our devices with smoking, going on to explain that it's a device that takes away the desire to smoke, it doesn't so much replicate a smoking experience as it offers a far more satisfying one. Then I let them try it. With a good adjustable air flow and kick I rarely find smokers saying it's not something they'd like to try more of.
See, this is what i meant. The little extra effort to explain. With "ecig".all of the negative and sinful connotations with smoking are conjured up. Yeah, I said sinful. As much as I despise religion its way of life here in the bible belt. And these guys love to point out all the sin in the world around them. They will likely call it sin anyway as anything pleasurable they don't do is sin in their book. But hey, why give them anymore ammo than necessary.

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am relatively new to this forum (0r any forum for that matter) and have only been a ecig/vaper user since May and I find it extremely disturbing that even the people here would be so worried about political correctness that they are concerned that the product that is helping us become non smokers may be called something that some idiot may think sounds bad.

Please don't misunderstand. It doesn't matter what it's called, it's up to us and the industry to Help form what others think, not the government and or the media.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am relatively new to this forum (0r any forum for that matter) and have only been a ecig/vaper user since May and I find it extremely disturbing that even the people here would be so worried about political correctness that they are concerned that the product that is helping us become non smokers may be called something that some idiot may think sounds bad.

Please don't misunderstand. It doesn't matter what it's called, it's up to us and the industry to Help form what others think, not the government and or the media.
Hiya gampa. Well the deliberation is about deciding the best way to market them. The article @cigarbabe links this thread to discusses an assessment of why there's a need for vendors to still market them (at least at this present time) under the name "electronic cigarettes".

If anyone has the opportunity to have one-to-one contact with new and potentially new vapers, it's a good idea and opportunity to begin helping them break their smoking habit by dissociating their idea of vapourisers from cigarettes.

Perhaps we aught to call that: Step Two

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hiya gampa. Well the deliberation is about deciding the best way to market them. The article @cigarbabe links this thread to discusses an assessment of why there's a need for vendors to still market them (at least at this present time) under the name "electronic cigarettes".

If anyone has the opportunity to have one-to-one contact with new and potentially new vapers, it's a good idea and opportunity to begin helping them break their smoking habit by dissociating their idea of vapourisers from cigarettes.

Perhaps we aught to call that: Step Two
Oh I do understand what the deliberation is about. That is exactly what I mean. The main target for new market is and will ,for the foreseeable future, remain to be smokers. Without increasing customer base the market would stagnate and die. I hope, for myself, that this does not happen.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks CB for sharing!

How long until we hit the 20% saturation mark?

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for sharing this article... and bookmarked.

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess my main problem with the moniker "e-cigarette" is that it conjures up an image of those crappy disposable e-cig devices they sell at gas stations/convenience stores, the ones that light up on the end when you inhale and taste like crap/provide a low-quality experience. In terms of aesthetics/design and the experience they provide, our devices are radically different from that.

If we're talking about conversion of smokers to vaping, I would think any association with the aforementioned low-quality devices would be a bad thing. Many, many smokers have tried devices like that in the past ( often several times ), but ended up writing them off because they're a poor imitation of the real-thing. Vaping is better than the "real thing".

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to say, the "crappy disposable e-cig devices they sell at gas stations/convenience stores, the ones that light up on the end when you inhale and taste like crap" Did get my ass off the smokes, back then , that was about all that was around, For that I am thankful...We've come a long way in a short few years indeed.

Last edited:

Kenneth98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like ecig ,I'll mark this .Thanks

alexhenderson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is really good info! You're truly well informed. I really appreciate your information and you explain each and every point very well.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Calling it an eCig is a heck of a lot better than:

Personal
Electronic
Nicotine
Inhalation
System

:p

Just think of all the happy vapers walking around out in public each with a P.E.N.I.S in hand:D

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i just call it my sucky thing.
i so would not mind your lips on my sucky thing :D

to me an Ecig are the craptiastic disposables like the njoy king or for the old school users DSE901.
the more advanced unit even the basic egos are a vaping device.
the final limit are the more advanced user serviceable devices and such (mechs,E-mechs,Mods) all to some extent but limited but the knowledge of each user. (battery safety and all)

/users of any of the above are vapers.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never used the word Ecig since my first day of switching I think it is a bad inference if you tear it apart it sounds like we are
lighting tobacco electronically... ')hate the word

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the term "electronic cigarette" when smokers ask me what it is I'm using, so they can relate.

I use a box mod, so my calling it an electronic cigarette is both strange (given that an ordinary cigarette doen't look like a box) and conveys the idea that it makes smokes, yes, but it's not the same.

Adam Ross

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with @Bado! I like to consider it Vaping now and disassociate myself with smoking altogether! I started with a Halo G6 and now I'm using a mech mod and just loving life!!!

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I do not like the ecig word. For some who know nothing about vaping it is necessary before explaining vaping. That is all they know and that isn't their fault. That is where we come in to educate the masses.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually feel silly and kinda weird using all of the jargon involved with 'vaping' and 'e-cigs'.

For instance you're at work and you know the feeling, so you say "damn, I need a cigarette (or a smoke) " I used to say "I need a sanity cigarette"

Now saying, "damn I need a vape or a sanity vape" feels weird to me. I guess it's because I'm still sorta new and I often still call it smoking but then I feel weird saying that cause I'm not smoking in conventional terms.

So, then I find myself shutting up and just saying, "damn I need a break. "

Unless I'm around a fellow vape. But I catch them saying smoke too sometimes. As long term smokers, I guess dropping the language is just as hard as kicking cigarettes. Just like everytime I walk into a gas station, I have this uneasy feeling that I'm forgetting something.

I think as a smoker, the term ecig acts a bridge. Otherwise if it was just called Vaping some smokers may never be interested because they never draw the relationship.

On another note:

If tobacco didn't own most of the wall behind the damn counter, Vaping could take over. I mean if they ditched the injoy and the blu and the other random shit and replaced it with a few better cigalikes, some ego and spinner batteries, some tanks, small bottles of eliquid in different nic levels, and some coils it would make the world a lot more convenient. Because then, if you bust something you can run to the gas station and get something decent at 11 at night or 5 in the morning to hold you over.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Vape" was the 2014 word of the year. It certainly shouldn't feel weird to use it.

hajojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great Explanation!

Electronic cigarettes are called e-cig because this device have cartridges with liquid chemicals in them. It is a battery oriented device which produce heat from a battery powered atomizer which turns the chemicals into vapor when the user inhaled it.

lizajon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are millions of people in this world who are addicted to cigarette. This innovation has also become popular among smokers in world today is the Electronic Cigarette. As an alternative of tobacco this device uses e-juice to produce the e-vapour that the user inhales has the same taste as the conventional cigarette. it's the primary reason that this device has gained so much popularity and so many people are making the switch. E cigarette is also popular because it is not technically designed to stop smoking.

hollynorth

Member For 4 Years
Nice article. As I am a user of e cigarette. This article is very helpful for me. Quitting cigarette is the most difficult for anyone. So everyone must read this article.

jvsurfvape

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
because its working princple is using electronic battery to light the coil for vaporize the e-liquid, so it is named electronic cigarette :giggle:

VU Sponsors