Become a Patron!

why cant i taste my e juice ?

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new to vaping I got a matrix sub ohm tank on top of a mech mod, the juice that I'm using is by cyber liquids and the flavor is called "gummy yummy" it smells like gummy bears but it doesn't taste like anything resembling that, it just taste like burnt smoke I cleaned out the tank and put the juice in the proper way and it still has a bad taste what am I doing wrong?

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my guess is you didnt prime it properly and burnt the coil. Try replacing it and prime it good.

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my guess is you didnt prime it properly and burnt the coil. Try replacing it and prime it good.

When you say "prime it" you mean taking a hit without pushing the fire button? And I do have a second coil I'll replace it and see if that helps. I'm also having some issues with my battery it dies extremely fast its a Samsung 18650 no matter how long I let it charge it dies within 5 minutes what should I do about that?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My guess is that you may have Vapers Tongue.

Vaping dehydrates the tissues in your mouth and will turn off your tastebuds.

Easy to fix, just make sure to drink lots an lots of water like your doctor will tell you to do anyway.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
make sure that the battery is fully charged. i use the samsung 18650 and it lasts 24hrs or more. might have been a bad batch of batteries or something you got
and yes many "dry hits" before using fire button.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa! First who told you to get a subohm tank and a mech mod when you are new to vaping? That is an advance user setup. A 18650 dies in 5 minutes? That is totally wrong! I would just stop using that setup until somebody get things figured out.

Secondly I am so mad at the vaping community! They almost never talk about this and it is so important about e-juice. Many e-juice will burn even at a low wattage. The worst I have ran into has been MBV Dream Tea. At 4.5 watts I can chain vape without any problems at all. Most e-juice would not even vaporize at 4.5 watts, but this one will. You can hit it with 7 to 9 watts, but you have to let it cool down or it will burn if you continue.

Other e-juices are not as sensitive to heat. Some you can vape at 50+ watts without any problems. But most e-juices I run into can run into problems over 10 watts. E-juices really needs a wattage rating.

Last edited:

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coils in those sub ohm tanks are not exact. That .2 coil could really be a .15 coil, no way to tell on a mechanical mod. I'd really recommend getting a regulated mod, at least until you learn battery safety.

Sounds like you burnt your coils cotton or wick. This can happen if you don't prime (take a few dry puffs without firing) and wait for about 5 minutes especially if you are using a higher vg liquids to let the coils get saturated then after waiting 5mins starting at a lower wattage 15 20 watts fire your device quick to make sure its working then once you have your coil saturated, the key is to not fire until you've given the time for your coil to soak up the juice watch for bubbles coming out of the holes as this is an indication that your coil is still soaking up juice as i said give it at least 5 mins with a few prime pulls the you should be blowing clouds bro clouds lmao

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa! First who told you to get a subohm tank and a mech mod when you are new to vaping? That is an advance user setup. A 18650 dies in 5 minutes? That is totally wrong! I would just stop using that setup until somebody get things figured out.

Secondly I am so mad at the vaping community! They almost never talk about this and it is so important about e-juice. Many e-juice will burn even at a low wattage. The worst I have ran into has been MBV Dream Tea. At 4.5 watts I can chain vape without any problems at all. Most e-juice would not even vaporize at 4.5 watts, but this one will. You can hit it with 7 to 9 watts, but you have to let it cool down or it will burn if you continue.

Other e-juices are not as sensitive to heat. Some you can vape at 50+ watts without any problems. But most e-juices I run into can run into problems over 10 watts. E-juices really needs a wattage rating.
Good post Bill, I am with you all the way on this!!!

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should prime your new coil a little with a few drop off ejuice before putting your tank on and filling it. And take primer puffs and still let it sit for a few minutes. The start at about 15 to 17 watts for a few hits. Then increase your watts till you hit your sweet spot.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When you say "prime it" you mean taking a hit without pushing the fire button? And I do have a second coil I'll replace it and see if that helps. I'm also having some issues with my battery it dies extremely fast its a Samsung 18650 no matter how long I let it charge it dies within 5 minutes what should I do about that?
In case, it is a 0.2 Ohm coil you're using on a mech mod, and you're using a Samsung 25R 18650, the battery lasts for approximately 8 Minutes, according to http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.asp

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Agreed to e-juice explanation. I used to have a Vanilla flavored juice, that I could use in a Protank V1 with a 1.8 Ohm coil only.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm new to vaping I got a matrix sub ohm tank on top of a mech mod, the juice that I'm using is by cyber liquids and the flavor is called "gummy yummy" it smells like gummy bears but it doesn't taste like anything resembling that, it just taste like burnt smoke I cleaned out the tank and put the juice in the proper way and it still has a bad taste what am I doing wrong?

Hey bud, congrats on the switch to vaping from smoking...but I have to ask what made you decide to go with a mech for your first mod with a sub-ohm tank? Was it a store recommendation or a friend or just something you saw and liked? While it's true that mech's can fire sub ohm tanks they're not really made for it. As for your battery...which samsung battery do you use? There will be some printing on it...it will say something like

"INR18650-25R
SAMSUNG SID
2 2E95"

It's very important which one you have....the 2 numbers and the letter after the 18650 printing is the model number. Even though they might be the same size and shape, not all batteries are capable of powering the tank you have with a mech mod and it can be very dangerous if you are using the wrong battery. We need to know. Mech mods were created mainly created for use with Rebuildable Dripping and Tank atomizers and for use by someone that is not only familiar with vaping and rebuilding but has a good grasp of Ohm's Law and different types of batteries and safely using them. Even with the right battery, the .2 ohm coils for that tank will drain the battery very fast.

Mech mods have no safety features unlike their regulated counterparts and can be very dangerous if used improperly. The only protection you have from something going wrong is how healthy the battery you have and how fast and how much of it's power supply it can dump into the atomizer. I would strongly suggest you look and see what resistance you coil is (what the ohms of it is,) and look up what battery you have. Then I would seriously look into getting a regulated device. A 50 watt device like an Istick 50, Segelei 50 watt, or IPV can sufficiently power the .5 ohm coils for that tank, and if you must use the .2 ohms than I suggest a Segelei 100 watt plus or 150, or an IPV 2 or three or a 70 watt IPV mini.

There's nothing wrong with mechs, I use them heavily as I am from that older school of vaping...but I use them with the right batteries and take all safety precautions seriously. You'll learn in time, just play it safe and do some research and find something that works for you. :) Happy Vaping

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I did plenty of research about battery safety, the issues that I'm having were do to me not priming the device properly I burnt the coil and remplaced the coil and am still having battery issues to where the battery is dying to fast no matter how long i let it charge

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did plenty of research about battery safety, the issues that I'm having were do to me not priming the device properly I burnt the coil and remplaced the coil and am still having battery issues to where the battery is dying to fast no matter how long i let it charge

what kind of battery do you have??

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The coils in those sub ohm tanks are not exact. That .2 coil could really be a .15 coil, no way to tell on a mechanical mod. I'd really recommend getting a regulated mod, at least until you learn battery safety.

I did my research on battery safety and the battery that I am using is the correct battery it's just dying to quickly.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did my research on battery safety and the battery that I am using is the correct battery it's just dying to quickly.

ok, well, whatever type of battery you have, if you've done your research and are completely sure it's the battery that is dying too fast and not the wrong type of battery than stop using that battery and get a new one or two before the battery fails and hurts you or someone else...because there is something wrong with the battery if you're sure it's the right one

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like you burnt your coils cotton or wick. This can happen if you don't prime (take a few dry puffs without firing) and wait for about 5 minutes especially if you are using a higher vg liquids to let the coils get saturated then after waiting 5mins starting at a lower wattage 15 20 watts fire your device quick to make sure its working then once you have your coil saturated, the key is to not fire until you've given the time for your coil to soak up the juice watch for bubbles coming out of the holes as this is an indication that your coil is still soaking up juice as i said give it at least 5 mins with a few prime pulls the you should be blowing clouds bro clouds lmao

I did burn the coil I replaced it and I primed it but the battery keeps dying extremely fast and I still am not experiencing the full flavor of the juice

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm using a .6 ohm coil now and still the battery dies.

Well, even at .6 if you average the run time out continuously that gives you about 24 minutes continuous and and you would in reality run it down for half of that so you're looking at an average of 8-13 minutes of actual vape time divided by how long your take a drag. If you're wondering where I get my math I do the ohms law calculation at 3.8 volts for a fresh battery after average voltage drop on my mechs and that gives me about 6.1 amps and that is only going to drop with every drag....6.1 amps divided by a 2.5 Ah runtime for the battery is .41 .... .41 hours is about 21 minutes,,,,not take into account continuing voltage loss from a dying battery and you're looking at about 13 minutes of decent, not total, but decent vape time off a good and healthy battery at best...now if you're taking 10 second drags which is super long for even higher sub ohm vaping like .6 you can hope for at best 78 good drags...but we all know in reality from feel and experience it's more like 50 on a good day....so unless your battery is dying in like 10 drags or less it should be ok.

if you're battery is dying in 10 drags or less than either your battery or your charger is faulty or there is a short somewhere sucking the life out of your battery,,,either way something is not right and if you have another battery I would use that one...maybe your charger is faulty, they can stop working properly in time, especially cheap ones, or there is a short somewhere in your atty or your mod...if not from a loose or pinched coil than an insulator is bad somewhere if it's not your charger or your battery

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey bud, congrats on the switch to vaping from smoking...but I have to ask what made you decide to go with a mech for your first mod with a sub-ohm tank? Was it a store recommendation or a friend or just something you saw and liked?

Well I work a lot and need something that I can easily take out of my pocket and vape and put back into my pocket and move and a mech mod seems to be a simple device it's a tube with a battery in it and a sub ohm tank is also a simple device so it's just made sense to me to use a mech mod and a sub ohm tank because they're both simple devices however, me being a noob I burnt the coil and I've replaced it and I'm having battery issues the battery just dies to fast and even after replacing the coil and priming it properly I still haven't tasted the full flavor of the juice and the mod just isn't hitting hard enough.

Mechanical NooB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, even at .6 if you average the run time out continuously that gives you about 24 minutes continuous and and you would in reality run it down for half of that so you're looking at an average of 8-13 minutes of actual vape time divided by how long your take a drag. If you're wondering where I get my math I do the ohms law calculation at 3.8 volts for a fresh battery after average voltage drop on my mechs and that gives me about 6.1 amps and that is only going to drop with every drag....6.1 amps divided by a 2.5 Ah runtime for the battery is .41 .... .41 hours is about 21 minutes,,,,not take into account continuing voltage loss from a dying battery and you're looking at about 13 minutes of decent, not total, but decent vape time off a good and healthy battery at best...now if you're taking 10 second drags which is super long for even higher sub ohm vaping like .6 you can hope for at best 78 good drags...but we all know in reality from feel and experience it's more like 50 on a good day....so unless your battery is dying in like 10 drags or less it should be ok.

if you're battery is dying in 10 drags or less than either your battery or your charger is faulty or there is a short somewhere sucking the life out of your battery,,,either way something is not right and if you have another battery I would use that one...maybe your charger is faulty, they can stop working properly in time, especially cheap ones, or there is a short somewhere in your atty or your mod...if not from a loose or pinched coil than an insulator is bad somewhere if it's not your charger or your battery

The charger could be the problem and as I am vaping I can tell my mod isn't hitting hard enough so I do have to take long drags because the mod just isn't producing a lot of vapor no matter how hard I inhale.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I work a lot and need something that I can easily take out of my pocket and vape and put back into my pocket and move and a mech mod seems to be a simple device it's a tube with a battery in it and a sub ohm tank is also a simple device so it's just made sense to me to use a mech mod and a sub ohm tank because they're both simple devices however, me being a noob I burnt the coil and I've replaced it and I'm having battery issues the battery just dies to fast and even after replacing the coil and priming it properly I still haven't tasted the full flavor of the juice and the mod just isn't hitting hard enough.

I understand what you're saying but a small regulated device like a 30 watt Istick would be much more suited for something for your needs, or even a 50 watt...it's a small, self contained device that charges on a usb cable, no removable battery...should last you all day, and you set it to a certain power level and because it's a regulated device it will deliver a consistant vape till the battery dies as apposed to the continual lessening of the vape due to the dying battery of a unregulated mech mod....as for not reaching the full taste of your juice,,,I can't tell you much there. Did you try it in a store on another device or on a dripping atomizer and it's not tasting the same? Tanks with premade coils have good flavor but it won't be the same as a dripper built for flavor or a rebuildable tank like a Kayfun...or your juice may need more time to steep for it's full flavor to come out.

As for your mod "not hitting hard enough or producing enough vapor." How much vapor are you looking for? I have never met a single person that didn't choke the first time they hit a dripper on a super low build. I understand if it's not enough for you. I would get a 50 watt I stick or an IPV mini 70 watt and try your tank with a .2 ohm coil.

In all honesty, it does happen on rare occasion but in my couple years of vaping and all the people I've introduced and tried to make the switch I only know one that started out low sub ohming on a .4 coil in a dripper. If you're new to vaping maybe you need a little higher nic level as well. I started off with 24 mg juice on an eGo battery and a T2 clearomizer and I had to go up to 36 mg before I could make the switch successfully...and that was on an ego battery with a top coil clearo with a 2.2 ohm coil putting out a total of 6.5 watts....

A lot of us made the switch on something simple like that to start with so I am sorry but I am at kind of a loss to figure how 26-50 watts isn't enough to get the job done? How strong is your e-liquid? I am not saying it's not possible, if you're not happy with your vape then you're not happy...I am just asking questions so I can try and help figure out what would make you happy

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm honestly doing my best to try and help yah bud...If you're not happy with your vape then you're not happy and that sucks, believe me I understand that. I've busted my vape a couple times and been stuck with my emergency ego and now days that's like breathing air to me...but I can only go on what you tell me...I am trying me best...honest. We can figure this out. But I needed to go to bed an hour ago. I'll check this thread in the morning. I am sorry you're not happy with your vape. But like I said, we can figure out something for you...just give it a little.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The battery could also be damaged, due to discharging below 3.2V. This would also result in quicker loss of power.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of charger are you using?

At one point I had one of those cheap single battery chargers which would not charge my battery past 3.something volts no matter how long I left the battery on it.

Do you have a multimeter or voltmeter? If so, test the batteries fresh off of the charger. If they're not reading 4.2v, your charger is probably a pos.

Hi. im new to vaping too. been vaping 4months. 1st month was baal by ed diablo atomizer(vapor) it was good for me. but then change to buhawi v1.5 rda by ghetto inc custom and love its flavor ever since until now...tried my baal again and some friends atomizer(specially cloud chase atomizer) but cant taste them anymore. i have a subtank mini also with my cloupor mini its flavor is lessen for me compared to buhawi. used it when driving or pc gaming sometimes it okay somehow.

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have sense tank on my Mech n works good all day on a 25r

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have sense tank on my Mech n works good all day on a 25r

yeah, when I run higher ohms above .6 I can get a days use out of a 2500 mah battery but I usually run tanks on regulated mods so I get a consistant hit all they way through...the math on that was a generalized set of numbers to explain more clearly my point. Running coils like I do a .25 on a mech I can go threw 2 or 3 2000-2100 mah batteries a day if I am chain vaping because with voltage drop I only get the hit I want for about a quarter to half of the battery's capacity max. Usually my mech batteries never drop below 3.8 before I charge them because the hit is too weak....and with the longer life batteries like the 25R's it feels like I get only five or six awesome pulls, and then a handful of good ones before they're decent at best...it pisses me off because I'll throw them on the charger and they'll still read 3.9 volts.

I could build lower than .24 but i'd rather just rotate my batteries more often than push things to an unsafe level. Besides, VTC3's are my favorite battery at the moment....true they're only 1600 mah but they have one of the lowest internal resistances when they're new and fresh making them one of the best hitting batteries and at the ohms I'm using them only loose 4 or 6 pulls and I can build down to .19-.2 safely still, if you play the voltage drop game even a little lower but I'd rather be guilty of being safer than sorry and not pushing it in case I have another freak short out like last time

I have been vaping for 3 years now and I feel the pain of not being able to taste your ejuice. I vape a lot of tropical fruit flavors and drip/squnok pretty much exclusively since I find that gives me the best flavor and clouds. However I ran into this maybe 2-3 times in the last couple of years.

Things that have worked for me
Vaping someting with a cooling menthol like Betty Chill from Giant Vapes or Very Cool from the Naked 100 line does help. Just my personal picks anything with Menthol should help.
Vaping a complely different flavor. If you vape fruit, try a bakery flavor especially one with cinnamon* and vice versa.
Drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated (adding a splash of lemon juice also helps to cleanse the pallette)
Eating some pickled ginger
Using a Neti Pot to clean out and hydrate your sinuses

The important thing to remember is taste is very much related to smell. If you cant smell it you wont be able to fully taste it, you might get a muted flavor or just taste the sweet part but not the fruit part. Also the higher the PG of your juice the more you need to hydrate. Not just your mouth but your nasal cavities. PG even at 20 and 30% can dry out your nasal passages. If you live in an arid climate like Arizona or something you may need to consider this year round or in the winter in the North when the air dries out it is worse.

Good luck thought I would share because besides the FDA trying to keep us from doing what we have found works to keep us off the ol' cancer sticks this to me is one of the worst parts of vaping it kind of ruins it for a while.

*Keep in mind if you are using a tank or more exotic build cinnamon flavors have a high "gunk" potential for your coils. If you go dow this road I suggest some simple 24G A1 round wire builds in a dripper with a nice restrictive lung hit ohm 6/7 wraps should get you close to .5 Ohms, pretty good for all regulated or mechanical devices.

Happy Vaping

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 25R battery in a mech squonk mod with a .25 coil and get around 10 ml of ejuice vaped per charge.
Sounds like a bum battery or an issue with the mech mod.

subohm tanks are not considered safe on many mech mods.

What mech mod are you using?
If you can see the top of the battery down in the 510 hole on them mod then DO NOT use a subohm tank on it.

VU Sponsors