Become a Patron!

Why Do 18650 Wraps Suck?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is something I’ve pondered for a while - Why do the wraps on 18650’s suck compared to the regular Duracell type batteries? I’ve never had AA battery’s wrap fray or rip on me but all my vaping batteries seem to start coming undone after a short time. Any thoughts or answers?

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good question.

The only 18650's I've found with wraps worth a damn are Sonys. All of my Samsungs and LG's get torn up on the positive end in no time, but I have VTC4 and 5's that are going on 2 years old and the wraps are still perfect. Nowhere near as durable as an alkaline though.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably due to constantly installing and removing them to recharge. We dont do that with regular duracells
Fer real, and some are a tight fit in particular mods. They're tough getting in and out of my Invader 3, I end up re-wrapping those pretty often because of the constant scraping. And heaven forbid if you drop one. We have hardwood floors and I tend to be clumsy, anytime I drop one it'll crack the wrap. I've had to re-wrap brand new ones because of that.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a lot of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.... I rewrap them about as often as my 18xxx batts..... wrap life has more to do with device and frequency if changing than anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree that changing the out a lot wears the wraps out, especially if you squonk. However, I've taken the wrap off a AA and it just seemed to be more durable and of a les flimsy material.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is something I’ve pondered for a while - Why do the wraps on 18650’s suck compared to the regular Duracell type batteries? I’ve never had AA battery’s wrap fray or rip on me but all my vaping batteries seem to start coming undone after a short time. Any thoughts or answers?

Good point skt239. I used to use rechargeable AA cells a lot for photography. That was a while back but those wraps didn't seem to wear out as fast as my 18650 wraps do these days. Still, I seem get a couple of years out of a 18650 wrap so it's not that bad :)

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't recall which of his videos but Mooch discussed this recently. 18650's were never designed to be used outside of a sealed battery pack (power drill, vacuum, tesla car, etc) according to Mooch, unlike the AA/AAA that we take in and out of random devices individually.

That said I have 40+ 18650's that are over a year old and the only 1 wrap I ever nicked was user error on my part. My finger slipped when removing it from a charger and the spring loaded negative bar put a nick in the wrap when it let loose.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing, most of the AA's I've used (standard, maybe rechargeable are different), the wrap is done at the factory and it's a tougher metallic wrap. Different material and it's not just heat shrunk, it's more like an adhesive so it sticks much better. As others pointed out, 18650's weren't designed to be external batteries to swap out.

If your wraps are getting chewed up, maybe it's your mod? Some use those flat prong style contacts (not sure the proper name). They tend to be battery rippers. Others that use rounded spring loaded contacts don't seem to be as rough on batteries. I had one I tore that was my fault, the spring loaded contact in the charger slipped and raked the battery. I didn't have it seated well enough. Outside of that I haven't had to rewrap any batteries in months, like 4, 5, 6 mo. I swap mine out daily so they see plenty of action. The wraps are pretty damn thin though. Personally I avoid mods with those tab style contacts, guess I've gotten lucky. None of the few mods I own are too tight for the batteries.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Probably due to constantly installing and removing them to recharge. We dont do that with regular duracells

This is exactly what I was going to say as the get installed and removed more than regular batteries. Anyone have experience with rechargeable AA or AAA Batteries?

VU Sponsors