Become a Patron!

Why do darker juices shorten the life of wick and gunk coils?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The answer may be obvious, but I want to be sure. I personally avoid using dark flavorings now for several reasons. Those reasons include that they seem to either taste harsher or worse, they seem to leave residual flavor much longer when switching juices, they seem to not taste well mixed with other flavors, and they seem to slow down wicking.
I don't know if all of these observations stand true, but it is what I see. I am new to diy and regret getting more than half of the flavors I ordered because they are dark and have these traits. I dread vaping them, and only drip them near the end of the lifespan of my cotton about a day or two before I plan on re-wicking.
I only want to use clear flavorings now, but you never know the color until it arrives. What are some common flavorings that are clear? And some common ones that are not? And are there any factual downsides to dark juices including the problems I've mentioned?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find that fruits tend to stay clear, while dessert flavors are more of a mixed bag. My take on the coil/wick gunking is that there are more artificial sweeteners in darker liquids, and these tend to leave a residue when vaped, thus causing more buildup that will create a need for you to re-wick and dry burn your coils clean more often. I use rayon to extend my time between needing to re-wick, some love it and others think I might as well be sucking on a lit cigar stuffed up the tailpipe of a '60s muscle car, so you'll have to make your own call on material.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I find that fruits tend to stay clear, while dessert flavors are more of a mixed bag. My take on the coil/wick gunking is that there are more artificial sweeteners in darker liquids, and these tend to leave a residue when vaped, thus causing more buildup that will create a need for you to re-wick and dry burn your coils clean more often. I use rayon to extend my time between needing to re-wick, some love it and others think I might as well be sucking on a lit cigar stuffed up the tailpipe of a '60s muscle car, so you'll have to make your own call on material.
I hated rayon for a long time. Turns out that I was touching the wick too much, thus getting the oils from my grubby fingers on the wick and making it taste like shit. Since I stopped fingering my rayon, it tastes fantastic.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hated rayon for a long time. Turns out that I was touching the wick too much, thus getting the oils from my grubby fingers on the wick and making it taste like shit. Since I stopped fingering my rayon, it tastes fantastic.
Did you have to find out not to molest your wicking materials

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I usually use spaced coils for darker juice seems to help. And since i DIy i will vape it before it gets dark just use lower % on flavors no steeping required.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i guess im weird or havent found truly dark juices

my diy ADV include
a very clear apple cinnamon
a semi clear but slightly dark peach/mango/vanilla/cream
a very very dark chocolate (HIC's 3MM recipe)

the coils last the same regardless of which juice i use in my maganus and crown.

now i just got into coil building and the jury is out for me on my crius if the darkness of the juice effects anything.

The only difference I notice is that on my chocolate flavor the cotton gets nastier looking faster and is harder to switch from that flavor to another on the same coil. the chocolate flavor lasts longer. but my crown and maganus coils will last 2 -4 weeks with the same flavor regardless of the juice i use or if i change juices or use the same juice only on the same coil etc.

i dont use any "sweetners" and those may actually do something to the coil maybe because they dont fully vaporize and leave residual material on the coil and wick.

VU Sponsors