Become a Patron!

Why do I cough?

Hi,

I am fairly new to vaping. 2 weeks to be exact. I am a smoker (hate it) and have decided to slowly switch to vaping instead. I’ve done a lot of research...and feel more confused after every article I read.

So I bought a vape recommended to be by local store guy it’s an Aspire Breeze, and got allday verry berry vapour, with 24mg Nicotine. It’s 65 VG and 35 PG.

Problem is no matter how I try and use it I cough quite horribly. I have tried chewing gum to keep my mouth moist, drinking lots of water. Taking long slow puffs, short fast puffs, and every other technique I could find on the Internet.

It seems just a whisp of the smoke hitting the back of my throat sets it off. I’m pretty stubborn so for 2 weeks I have been coughing along, hoping it would get better.., it hasn’t.

So my question is am I using a good vaporizer, and juice?

Thanks for any help. I really hope I have found the right place to post this.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might want to try a plus ohm coil and a lower nic juice. Something like an Aspire Nautilus tank with 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil and maybe 12mg juice @ 9 watts on a regulated mod.

In other words, ease back on vaper production until you get used to it. And use the biggest airflow setting so that you are getting plenty of air/less dense vaper. The breeze doesn't have adjustable airflow.

If I have a cold or something, vaping still makes me cough. I open the airflow and turn down the watts.

There is a chance you just won't be able to vape. But I'd try a plus ohm coil, lower watts and bigger airflow.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Problem is no matter how I try and use it I cough quite horribly.

When I first tried cutting down and eventually quit smoking vaping irritated my throat from what I feel was the anesthetizing effects of smoking which are not present in vapor. Quit completely and deal with it for about 2 weeks is the best I can recommend. Since the Aspire Breeze is a basic starter kit not much you can do with the coils.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What they both ^ said.
I agree with adjustable air flow, and adjustable wattage mod. This gives you control over vapor production. Start with little vapor and you'll be able to turn it up as you get used to the difference between smoke and vapor, till you no longer want/need the smoke. As you vape more, you'll most likely experience some cough as your body clears up some of what the smoke was doing to your lungs, and that will go way.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when you smoke cigarettes it kills all the little hairs in your lungs (cilia). when you stop, they grow back and come back to life. during that time (a few weeks usually) they are very sensitive, which might be part of the problem (if you are still occasionally smoking, the cilia wont recover fully, and you will always be in between/coughing). 24 mg is quite strong too, it might be worth trying 12 or 18 for now. and one last thing i can think of, is if your juice is using nic salts. its kind of a trend right now and a lot of juice companies are making nic salt, or mixed/combined juices. i find that nic salts make my lungs feel heavy and give me a smokers cough/wheeze/heavy chest if i vape them all day at high strength.

try to stick with it though, in my experience, the start is a bit rough, but once you find a good setup/coils/juice/nic strength youll be happy you kept on trying :cheers:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I first quit I was vaping 24-36MG so in my opinion 24MG isn't too high with the device she is using.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
when you smoke cigarettes it kills all the little hairs in your lungs (cilia). when you stop, they grow back and come back to life. during that time (a few weeks usually) they are very sensitive, which might be part of the problem (if you are still occasionally smoking, the cilia wont recover fully, and you will always be in between/coughing). 24 mg is quite strong too, it might be worth trying 12 or 18 for now. and one last thing i can think of, is if your juice is using nic salts. its kind of a trend right now and a lot of juice companies are making nic salt, or mixed/combined juices. i find that nic salts make my lungs feel heavy and give me a smokers cough/wheeze/heavy chest if i vape them all day at high strength.

try to stick with it though, in my experience, the start is a bit rough, but once you find a good setup/coils/juice/nic strength youll be happy you kept on trying :cheers:

This ^^^^^ :wave:

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi,

I am fairly new to vaping. 2 weeks to be exact. I am a smoker (hate it) and have decided to slowly switch to vaping instead. I’ve done a lot of research...and feel more confused after every article I read.

So I bought a vape recommended to be by local store guy it’s an Aspire Breeze, and got allday verry berry vapour, with 24mg Nicotine. It’s 65 VG and 35 PG.

Problem is no matter how I try and use it I cough quite horribly. I have tried chewing gum to keep my mouth moist, drinking lots of water. Taking long slow puffs, short fast puffs, and every other technique I could find on the Internet.

It seems just a whisp of the smoke hitting the back of my throat sets it off. I’m pretty stubborn so for 2 weeks I have been coughing along, hoping it would get better.., it hasn’t.

So my question is am I using a good vaporizer, and juice?

Thanks for any help. I really hope I have found the right place to post this.

There are indeed hairs involved. But, as an ex-handroller/pipe-smoker and cigar user..
First off, I went thru 2# of handroll tobacco a month. Usually filterless, (half-filters when I got tired of tobacco in my mouth). I started on about 36mg, and 24mg was a year away. Heavy smokers need their nic-fix.

Cilia exist in the windwipe. It's *an* issue - same thing when you have sinus issues: you gag and cough. Folks will even claim that "lung inhale" simulates drowning, until you are used to it. (I don't buy it, but ok - roll on).

Here's where I start to disagree...​

I was a smoker.. I started with "french inhaling".. Into the mouth, out and down to lungs via a gentle exhale so you could suck it up the schnoz. (I still think it likely provided better flavor to nose, mouth, etc). This necessitates what vapers call "MTL (mouth to lung)" inhaling.. And, it takes a special variation of atomizer. I think most atomizers are actually designed for clouds: If I wanted that, I could have treated my meerschaums as soap-bubble pipes. Very few (relatively) are designed to allow or enhance MTL. Everyone speak of "flavor", and some will speak of "flavor chasers" - but your best flavor will always be restricted-inhalation, and the King is MTL. Done.

"Good" is like "Best" and 200% subjective. Those sort of questions are booby-trapped and so are the answers. Think that through. Even asking folks what they prefer - and even WHY - is a clusterfuck-question: too subjective - it needs parameters.

Part of the coughing is "because it's not tobacco" - and autonomic. Believe me: this is nothing compared to the wracking coughs of a smoker, let alone a smoker with a simple cold. (I am pretty sure I cracked a few ribs over the years). Indeed, you will eventually notice: 1) you get fewer colds; 2) they are less severe; 3) Suddenly, you don't get the colds coworkers suffer - given minimal avoidance.

Your "Aspire Breeze" is a pod/AIO device. In this particular case I see nothing at all that is under your control - unless you consider the ejuice. I'd suggest it simply isn't suitable for you. It's got 1/6 ot less the batter-life of a single 18650; it doesn't seem to allow for variant resistance/ohmsl nor for higher or lower voltage or wattage. (I'd actually like to learn how many people out of N this satisfies - but then I'd need to understand N people. Pass)

I think you are better off with a 40 or 50w device that uses a regular, top-fill tank and those replaceable coil-heads that you can buy in various resistances. I see 0.6 and 1.2Ω listed. I can do both for pennies, and have over the years.

These AIO devices are merely the latest incarnation of the eGo pens and not much can be said for them when they are NOT PERFORMING FOR YOU. Now, if you are getting enough feedback from it to see you CAN switch to vaping, then you want to pursue it and that works: I bet there are 200 people at least on VU that can recommend a basic Beginner Kit and can provide links to a single or 2 vendors for the entire kit - for under $80 and done.

Replaceable coil-heads are more expensive than simple wick and wire, but a viable STARTING POINT t would bet they could point you at. Switching from smoking is not a huge issue. if you are not broke or allergic to common elements and VU has a vast spectrum of users - just ask good questions and then make your OWN judgements. (Yes, the homework is not optional ;-)

Thank you everyone! I had done a lot of homework, but it was based on new to vaping or smokers switching to vaping. I had not found anything on coils or ohms or adjustable airflow.

With those things to now look at I feel much better armed to make better decisions!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer a noobies question!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe 24 mg is a bit high on the nic?
I smoked 1-2 PAD of full strength cigs.
18 mg was as high as I could handle in a cigalike vape.
And only for the first couple of weeks after switching to vaping.
The vape cough went away when I dropped to 12 mg.
Timing? Nic Strength?

I do know that an AIO puts out much more vapor than a cigalike so you get more nic.

I’m definitely going to try Nicotine levels and get a new device. Does the ratio of VG to PG make a difference?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I’m definitely going to try Nicotine levels and get a new device. Does the ratio of VG to PG make a difference?
Yes, PG, as well as nic, produces the throat hit.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What are you getting?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
For juice, consider 70/30 or 80/20 and, lower than 24nic - about 15 maybe 18 because vaping more for the more nic is better than vaping less with too much nic. This should make vapor easier to get used to. You'll know with that first small bottle if you want to go up or down in nic. You can also adjust the nic level by mixing 2.

My order is placed! Can’t wait for it to arrive. I didn’t get extra coils as of yet, it comes with a 1.8. The e juice is 70/30 and I have one coming at 18mg and 1 at 12mg Nicotine. I plan to try both and see what works best for me.

Once I know the Nicotine level I prefer, I will be placing another order, and then I will make sure to get more coils...

Again thank you everyone for the great advice!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My order is placed! Can’t wait for it to arrive. I didn’t get extra coils as of yet, it comes with a 1.8. The e juice is 70/30 and I have one coming at 18mg and 1 at 12mg Nicotine. I plan to try both and see what works best for me.

Once I know the Nicotine level I prefer, I will be placing another order, and then I will make sure to get more coils...

Again thank you everyone for the great advice!

I hope it works for you. I'd feel bad if I got you to buy new stuff and it didn't work. :cuss2:

But I think you'll be able to find settings that work for you with the adjustability you'll have.

VU Sponsors