Become a Patron!

Why do mechs arc?

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And are there any negative effects of it either performance or safety concerns over arcing or arc marks on battery?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And are there any negative effects of it either performance or safety concerns over arcing or arc marks on battery?
YES!

Arcing means there's a faulty connection so the current is jumping, that's an arc, it's terribly unsafe. Fix the problem, or stop using the device.

As Nasty said, the negative effect is BOOM.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
http://info-electronic-cigarette.com/vape-blast-mech-mod-explosion/
0UBxET9.png

This dude damn near darwined himself on video and caught shit on fire.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
landscape-1454038840-e-cigarette-explosion-photos.jpg

This Genius was using a hybrid cap, arc boom.
Do not be this Darwin dodger.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Arcing always occurs between the high and low points of a contact as they open and close. Arcing does not always signify a fault, but rather that of uneven surfaces where current prefers to travel through paths of least resistance. Current density is dependant upon the circuit and its resistance (i.e. low builds with high current demands generate arcs with greater energy and damage potential). While you can abrade the nickel plating off the steel can of a cell to reduce signs of pitting, there is not much else that can be done short of vigilant contact protection in the form of products such as DeOxit G-Series.

Last edited:

Yellowhorse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
YES!

Arcing means there's a faulty connection so the current is jumping, that's an arc, it's terribly unsafe. Fix the problem, or stop using the device.

As Nasty said, the negative effect is BOOM.

Arcing or "Current jumping" does NOT indicate a "faulty" connection. Clearly you have never worked with any high voltage/amperage equipment where arcing occurs all the time opening or closing switches or breakers. The real issue here is using the 'battery contact' to make or break the circuit. Arcing directly to a lithium battery IS dangerous as the battery contacts were never designed for that kind of abuse and can burn right through the VERY thin metal used for the positive or negative connections. A PROPERLY designed mechanical mod will use an independent connector that is NOT a battery terminal to complete the circuit. Look at the inside of a MCV Raptor....for an example of how it should be done.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
landscape-1454038840-e-cigarette-explosion-photos.jpg

This Genius was using a hybrid cap, arc boom.
Do not be this Darwin dodger.
Yeah the guy at the top...I remember seeing a video of him years ago..... I really expected him to wind up on the back of a milk carton one day...he's got to hold the mod with a towle because it's get to hot to hold in his hand....yeah nothing wrong with this picture is there....

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah the guy at the top...I remember seeing a video of him years ago..... I really expected him to wind up on the back of a milk carton one day...he's got to hold the mod with a towle because it's get to hot to hold in his hand....yeah nothing wrong with this picture is there....
Nah towely mcdumbfuck is not this kid.
This kid was a. under aged but not in Canaduh.. but was rocking a hybrid and a tank in his dad's car when this blew his mug into Darwin level of dumb fuckery.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nah towely mcdumbfuck is not this kid.
This kid was a. under aged but not in Canaduh.. but was rocking a hybrid and a tank in his dad's car when this blew his mug into Darwin level of dumb fuckery.
Towely mcdumbfuck... Lol. I can count on you for brutal honesty, and a good laugh, man. That guy was unbelievable.
I've got nothing to add that's not been addressed. If all else fails, stop drop and roll.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First sign that Darwin is knocking is the scorch marks on that towel... or he is one filthy sumbitch...
Lol. I'm guessing both. One who lacks the common sense to stop vaping when the mod is too hot to touch, probably lacks hygiene amongst other things.

VU Sponsors