Become a Patron!

Why do my wicks burn when I switch mods?

Cpt.Black'Briefs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just built and installed new coils and they were working beautifully then I put the tank on a different mod and it started tasting burnt and vaping hot. Why does this keep happening? Only one of the mods is TC but in whichever order the tank is switched to or from either mod the taste goes from clean to burnt within a couple puffs.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Mods aren't 100% accurate one could be hitting weaker and one could be hitting harder

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, in some regulated mods, you can switch between "bypass", direct DC power like a mech, or some form of buck/boost regulation like PWM, or it couild be called "RMS or Mean" regulation -- Direct DC, and Mean, both deliver rather more power than RMS or PWM.

Andria

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess here - I don't TC, but from what I know of it:

a) Going from TC to non TC, the first mod is "throttled back" by the TC. So you don't actually KNOW what power is going to the coil when you hit it. Then maybe you're set for 60, but the TC is cutting that back due to, well TC. So when you go to a non-TC mod, and hit it with 60, it fries...

b) Going from non-TC to TC, the TC can't get a good "read" on the coil, when it's wicked and wet, so it's going to fire at the set watts initially until it does. And that may be too high...

Cpt.Black'Briefs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@SirRichardRear maybe, ones set at 50w the other around 40
@joeyboy nope, the resistance stays the same
@AndriaD itS in watts mode. It does voltage and mech as well..Which it might be a good idea for me to look through
@Train of course I think you'd be about right but it's crazy cause TC is limited to 600° and the other mod puts out bigger clouds..So I may be holding the button too long on TC and the others overheating my wick but I just thought TC flat out didn't burn wick.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear maybe, ones set at 50w the other around 40
@joeyboy nope, the resistance stays the same
@AndriaD itS in watts mode. It does voltage and mech as well..Which it might be a good idea for me to look through
@Train of course I think you'd be about right but it's crazy cause TC is limited to 600° and the other mod puts out bigger clouds..So I may be holding the button too long on TC and the others overheating my wick but I just thought TC flat out didn't burn wick.
Did you try both at 40? What kind of wire?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One mod is TC and the other not? I am assuming you are running both mods in Watt mode with a non TC coil?
It not there is your problem.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Good idea. The different regulation methods are for wattage mode; I learned about RMS vs. Mean when I got a Sigelei Zmax back in 2014; I had the burning wicks problem when I first got it, even when it was set at the same wattage as what I used on my vv3's -- I discovered that the default was Mean, which is hotter and caused burnt wicks. I learned about Direct DC/bypass vs. PWM with Yihi mods; someone told me that one of my mods wouldn't step down to my customary 9.5w, but I then learned that it WOULD, if set in PWM mode. If a mod, set in wattage mode, is consistently putting out more heat than another mod set at the same wattage, this is the first thing I'd check, different regulation methods.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good point Andria. Some mods will not step down to lower wattages even though they say they will on the screen.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good point Andria. Some mods will not step down to lower wattages even though they say they will on the screen.

They will, but only if they offer a PWM mode -- like iPVs. Without the PWM mode, you're limited to adjusting for lower wattages by using higher resistance coils.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They will, but only if they offer a PWM mode -- like iPVs. Without the PWM mode, you're limited to adjusting for lower wattages by using higher resistance coils.

Andria

But only if..
And most have only one mode of operation.

VU Sponsors