Become a Patron!

Why does EVERYONE seem to use the Wismex DNA200/ RX200?

ajbond916

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I understand they're a solid device, but it seems like EVERYONE I know uses them. I just want to know what makes them better than any other mods.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Battery Life, Battery Life, Battery Life...

Not really that great of a mod but between battery life and how comfortable it sits in a hand it's definitely decent...

I don't own one personally but have tried a few...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
All of the above. Did anybody mention battery life? lol. Seriously though, outstanding value for the dollar, firmware support par exellence, custom firmware, and at least in my experience, near indestructibility.

Other than that, no idea. Total mystery.

:slowclap:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I don't have one. The ONLY reason I've considered getting one is because pretty much any of the new attys these days are 24mm and larger. Nothing fits mini mods anymore, and it makes me sad.
This is exactly why I bought mine, to accommodate the Avocado 24 and Aromamizer Supreme. I might have to start looking for 22mm RDTAs or 25mm mods.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not on my short list and I don't own one. Just too bulky for my taste, nothing against the way it performs. Not everyone needs 3 batteries, running a dual 18650 device with a single coil rta and my batteries last me a couple days. It's too big to really fit in a pocket which means it's more suited to either a vehicle or home use. If I'm at home where the charger is at, I have easy access to batteries and a 3 cell mod isn't any advantage over a dual cell.

It might be a different story for folks with dual/quad coils burning through the juice, Idk. It's not a bad mod, seems to perform pretty well for a decent price which might explain why it's so popular. The sig/fuchai 213 was pretty popular as well despite its issues and the cost was easily double that of a wismec rx 200 so that may have something to do with significant appeal.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't own one, and have no plans to. A 2500mAh 18650 (HE2 or 25R) lasts me most of 2 days, so I see no need for huge honking mod like that.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My puppy has almost lost interest in the knock-the-mod-over game since my first Realeaux....
lol...they're also a good fit for cup-holders in vehicles....:wave:

No more of that shit flying all over the place when stepping on the brake or taking off from a light....:vino:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well I've been using something like this for over a year

Its very pretty. And sounds perfect for you. It would only last me about 20-30 minutes, and I'm hardly a ridiculous cloud chaser. I use LG HG2s as well.

The lack of scratches also tells me you are much more careful with your gear than I am.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its very pretty. And sounds perfect for you. It would only last me about 20-30 minutes, and I'm hardly a ridiculous cloud chaser. I use LG HG2s as well.

The lack of scratches also tells me you are much more careful with your gear than I am.

It's more a testament to the quality of the enameling on this mod; neither of my 2 iPV Minis looked this good after even a month's use, and I've had this minibook for 3 or 4 months now. I put it in my purse; sometimes it gets knocked over on the cfounter or desk... this one, I haven't yet managed to drop on the floor, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. :D The deep red is terrifically enhanced by a super-shiny and durable clear coat, like a top-of-the-line finish on an expensive car. No dings from my wedding ring either, despite that I often vape left-handed.

Andria

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought mine strictly as a I don't give a shit, take fishing, take out, leave at the bar, all day battery life mod. It's basically my beater. If something happens to it I could care less I'll just replace it. I also own the DNA version but that one is strictly an at home mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meh, for me, the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired. It's definitely not one of your prettier mods, and a new coat of paint only goes so far, imo. The 2/3 in 2 mode, for me, looks way better, already, than any flavor 3 batt mode. That aside, it's easy to overlook aesthetics with this workhorse. For me, anyway.
I stuck some money in it, but I made it a dream box, got a 2amp balanced charging usb, a Varitube V2 spring system, 14gauge wiring, tactical clicky firing switch and of course the hydro dipping ...... One push of the button will put a smile on your face....... And my zippy 4s Lipo going in it is almost finished....................
IMAG1933_1.jpg

Sent from my Note 7 using Tapatalk
Let's not forget the 250w upgrade......

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I stuck some money in it, but I made it a dream box, got a 2amp balanced charging usb, a Varitube V2 spring system, 14gauge wiring, tactical clicky firing switch and of course the hydro dipping ...... One push of the button will put a smile on your face....... And my zippy 4s Lipo going in it is almost finished.................

Love to see mods getting modded. Kudos to you1

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 61381

Mine looks different. Nearly a year old. Survived drops, dunks and drunks.
These older models survive shit the new ones can't handle for sure....... I had a 2/3 in my hand and I laughed..... They have dropped the quality on the build by a lot...... And it feels weak...... And light..... Mine has gone through he'll and it deserved a new life......

I have blown up:
Pwm 555
(4) Series boxes
(6) Parallel 1590g
(2) Sigelei
(2) ijoy
(1) ipv 5
(1) Triade
Several DNA40

125 watts all day and every day Vaping 40 to 60ml is the test for many mods....

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah if and when my 510 goes on either Reuleaux I would send it out to get a new 510. I like both mods that much.

Cutting the head or the 22mm plate allowed to use the spring loaded pin of the Varitube 510 V2 without drilling the body or the sled.....

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, man, the only mods I ever lost were courtesy of my wife, who likes to drop things, a lot.

I still have almost everything, MVP1, MVP2, eVics, SVDs, Vamos, even the crap Sigelei Legend. All still work (except for the ones my wife inherited). The only thing I lost that was exclusively mine was an eVic that went around the world with me and back (literally). It just stopped working one day middle of this year.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He builds custom turbo Rdas too..... They have little fans in them that when you fire your box it kicks a fan and you get 3 or 4 times more air..... The clouds are fucking crazy......

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cutting the head or the 22mm plate allowed to use the spring loaded pin of the Varitube 510 V2 without drilling the body or the sled.....

Yeah, that's way out of my wheel house. I'm lucky I can build a coil. My 510 ever goes on 1 of them and all my mods with a Joytech 510 are going to Isaac. I've seen his work and it's great.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, I bought a few RX's cuz I was sick and tired of the dna 30 falling over......:giggle::giggle:

Sure it's falling over with that big Cock on it, blaming the puppy...... You should be ashamed..... Look at this 1590g lean box. ... It falls over by itself....... I just lay it on it's side....
IMAG1907.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
lol Manny....I was trying to make a Rossco Modfather.....but I'm missing the 20 ml tank......:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The modfather is bigger than the dna 30....:giggle:

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone has pretty much nailed all the reasons it became so popular. One other thing that made it so popular was when it was initially released there really wasn't many other choices that had the type of power, performance and battery life in that price range. There just wasn't anything comparable at that price point at the time. It really helped to bring higher wattage and TC vaping to the masses at an affordable price.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Everyone has pretty much nailed all the reasons it became so popular. One other thing that made it so popular was when it was initially released there really wasn't many other choices that had the type of power, performance and battery life in that price range. There just wasn't anything comparable at that price point at the time. It really helped to bring higher wattage and TC vaping to the masses at an affordable price.
Very true, this mod was a game changer and definitely brought all the other mods down price wise. Shit, before the RX came out I payed $90 for a Sig 75. Lol.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know there's the 2/3 version, though that brings about other decisions. For people who marry batteries it means either using it as a 2 battery mod or 3 battery mod, not swapping back and forth. If swapping back and forth now it means a pair of batteries and/or a triplet. One too many for a 4 cell charger if charging all at once depending on what size charger. 5 is an odd number. Also if I'm not mistaken there were a few niggles with the 2/3 regarding contact of the battery in the extended cell adapter cover.

As I said I'm not implying its a bad mod, just doesn't fit any of my personal needs. Unfortunately there's no real getting around the odds when looking at extended battery life. When extended battery life is really useful is when out on the road or away from a charger. A 3 cell mod fits that bill but then it becomes too large to be portable relegating it to more stationary locations where battery life isn't quite as important. Bit of a catch 22. That's not a slam against the rx 200, that's just the reality of it. Big mod = long battery life, small portable mod means smaller lower life battery when you need it most.

The 3rd battery can also help it actually achieve the higher wattages, regardless of the mod dual battery units hit a ceiling for those looking for heavy wattage.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very true, this mod was a game changer and definitely brought all the other mods down price wise. Shit, before the RX came out I payed $90 for a Sig 75. Lol.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
I remember checking out that Sig75, I liked it, but kept hearing how horrible the batt life was so I stayed away. I jumped on the pre-sale for my first RX for $46 and that felt like a steal at the time compared to what was out there.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Answer to the OPs question in a nutshell.

A new firmware release today. For a year old mod. Not a fix, or a stupid eye candy addition, a firmware with a new feature. What other company has offered such a level of support for an already old product?

As far as the 510 issue that has received so much negative comment, perhaps this will help.

I've posted this here several times before, here it is again. The infamous RX 510, and the dreaded TFV4.

rx tfv4.jpg

Fully threaded, with torque, over and over. No issues.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just want to know what makes them better than any other mods.
They are not better, it's just that a lot of people want the DNA200 but at the same time prefer not to use Lipos.
Since the only way to utilize the full 200W is with 3x18650 and there are not many 3x18650 to choose from at the same price range, then this becomes the default option and the RX becomes the default option for those that want to invest even less.

Last edited:

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Their are not better, it's just that a lot of people want the DNA200 but at the same time prefer not to use Lipos.
Since the only way to utilize the full 200W is with 3x18650 and there are not many 3x18650 to choose from at the same price range, then this becomes the default option and the RX becomes the default option for those that want to invest even less.

I have 2 DNA 200s, one with 3X18650 for 200W (which I never run at) and the other with the Lipo in but can swap out for a 2 battery 18650 sled for 133W use. I decided to go with the Lipo for now, as whenever it can no longer hold a charge I can throw in the sled, but this way don't have to worry about another set of married batteries to keep track of (and I don't have any other 2 battery mods, so no point in rotating).

I just got an RX200S delivered today so I could have an inexpensive multi-battery mod for out and about that I wouldn't feel awful about if something bad happened to it. I'd feel bad about the DNAs if I messed them up. This is a great option, and the build quality is surprisingly good for the price, and TC on SS out of the box works fine.

I went with this instead of the "newer" RX2/3, as I have no desire to keep married sets of 2 and 3 for a single mod, and already like the 3 battery form factor. It also offers the advantage of not having some of the swappable battery cover issues the 2/3 seems to have for some folks.

But a device that will hold large tanks, offers long battery life with 3 in place, and working temp control, the thing is a steal at $40. Now I'll check out that new firmware, although probably wait a bit for feedback from some early adopters before jumping on it to make sure it works right.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Their are not better, it's that a lot of people want the DNA200 but at the same time prefer not to use Lipos.

Better how? I have a DNA200 Realeaux. And another DNA200 mod.I was an Early Adopter on the DNA200. My DNAs are now backups. I cant see giving them to new vapers, and I was gifted back the Realaux DNA200 when the recipient purchased a RX200S, as the screen was easier for her to see.

As far as "investing" I have no comment to make. I do not intend on reselling my mods, I use them, or give them away.

The DNA200 is more accurate. So far. IF that is your sole criteria for choosing a mod. After the next Wismec upgrade, who knows if that will remain true?

I don't intend on buying another Evolv board. I am disgusted by their suing Wismec, in a sad effort to better position themselves with the FDA. That disgusts me, almost as much as the patent trolling aspect of the suit. The chip has dual voltage converters, the same as a great many other mods do. Evolve was hardly the first.

I get that one can fritter away many hours playing around with Light Scribe, but an open source equivalent for the RXs is on the way.

The better mod, as I see it has one primary criteria. How many people is it keeping off the stinkys?

The RX series outsells the DNA200 mods by over 10 to 1. There is a reason for that.

My RX, and RXS are not just my 2 favorite mods, but the 2 best electronic items of any sort I've purchased in the last year.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors