Become a Patron!

Why does half my wick get black?

Hey all, new member here but long time reader. So i recently got into RDAs and began building my own coils. I am still fairly new at it but am liking it so far.
My question is why does the short side on my wick seem to not necessarily burn as in getting burnt hits, but blacken rather quickly. Inattached 2 pics to show this, the coil is a .7 twisted coil, organic cotton wick. Does the fact that the short side wick is touching the inner wall have anything to do with this? Its not like stuffed against it, it just kind of brushes up against it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
Wow sorry for the blurry pics my iphone is having a hard time focusing on the coil/wick but is fine on everything else lol

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yea it has to do with the wick sitting against the wall. idk why it happens just does. try centering your coils out, just push them over with a screw driver or something

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
yea it has to do with the wick sitting against the wall. idk why it happens just does. try centering your coils out, just push them over with a screw driver or something
You can't center the coil on a TOBH.

- wick is too thin/thick on that side of the coil
- the coil doesn't start glowing from the middle to the sides of the coil. Therefore, the leg on that side gets too hot, might even glow, thus burning the wick.

+ make sure the leads of the coil are of equal length (coil to posts).

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The darker side is drying out faster.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wrong wicking,loose screws it should be like this
BIGBOYVAPER

Attachments

• WP_20150320_001.jpg
    WP_20150320_001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The darker side is drying out faster.

This.

Since the wick is feeding the coil from both sides ... the shorter side holds less juice ... the side that holds less juice dries faster ... the dry side burns first. The solution has already been offered ... but to repeat ... you can either 1) wick differently to balance the wick in the coil so that it can feed differently, 2) juice the wick more frequently, or 3) burn the short side of the wick.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Could be the opposite problem. If the wick is kinked then the juice never gets to the coil. It just sits and turns gross while the other side wicks juice to the coil normally. Make sure that the cotton fibers travel horizontally and try wetting the cotton with juice before you tuck it under the coil. This will help keep the fibers from collapsing and help the cotton wick the juice from the deck to the coil properly. Works well for me at least

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have noticed that wicks stay clean longer when using only clear e-juices. I used to buy alot of drip brand and it has color that seems to gunk up the cotton

I have noticed that wicks stay clean longer when using only clear e-juices. I used to buy alot of drip brand and it has color that seems to gunk up the cotton
It's the sucralose that gunks your coils with juice like that.. you could have a fruit that is clear juice but if it's packed with sucralose your coils and wick will gunk up

VU Sponsors